Start by marking “Made of Stars” as Want to Read:

Made of Stars

When eighteen-year-old Hunter Jackson and his half sister, Ashlin, return to their dad’s for the first winter in years, they expect everything to be just like the warmer months they’d spent there as kids. And it is—at first. But Chance, the charismatic and adventurous boy who made their summers epic, is harboring deep secrets. Secrets that are quickly spiraling into someth ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Entangled Teen

To ask other readers questions about Made of Stars, please sign up.

Giselle
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
I didn't love this as much as Hushed - which was more my genre being a horror and all - but it does have an overall dark theme with a constant flow of mystery regarding a certain character. It's a story told under a looming grey cloud where you know a disaster is forthcoming, giving it a suspenseful tone throughout. The narrative voices are where I wasn't fully sold and ultimately stopped me from giving it my all.

Made of Stars is told through a dual perspective of a brother and a sister who hav
Jenn
I don’t think I can put into proper words my feelings about Kelley York’s writing. Thus far, she’s always written LGBT young adult fiction with broken boys. But really, that’s putting her prose far too simply. She always writes with an authentic voice that somehow manages to come across childlike, but adult. A voice that manages to sound innocent, but jaded. A story that shows humans can easily be both good and bad. She writes stories that make me think, make my heart break in tiny pieces, and m ...more
Tina
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

Hunter and Ashlin are half siblings, who love each other no matter what. While Hunter is a quiet and thoughtful guy, Ashlin is more expressive. They decide to live with their dad after graduation to help help him out and to meet their childhood friend, Chance.

But something is wrong with Chance. He lies about his parents, never lets Hunter and Ash see his house and has mysterious injuries. When the secrets come to light, reality hits hard...

Made of Stars is a book that is part mystery, part comi
SueC
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: boib-read
3.5 Stars.

What did I like most about Made of Stars? The writing; I found a certain warmth (despite the constant melancholy) in the writing all along. Careful, loving storytelling without pretense; it felt like there were no extravagant props (bells and whistles) needed to carry the story along.

Here’s an excerpt that I adored which will hopefully give you a taste of what I loved:

“We sprint through the mall, the thumping of my pulse and Chance’s breathless laughter a duet in my ears.... Suddenly,
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
For this review & more, visit Such a Novel Idea.

Well, that wrecked my heart, in all the ways that books should.

My Thoughts

“When I kiss him, Chance sets a hand in my shirt to hold me right where I am. His lips are dry, but his mouth is warm, and I think… this is how life should be. Chance and me. Kissing him whenever I want.”

The more Entangled Teen books I read, the more I fall in love with this publishing house. They just keep getting it right!

Made of Stars is no exception. It is haunting,
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
"We’re all made of stars,” he agrees. “We burn bright, then we flicker away".

It’s no secret I’m addicted to Kelley York’s writing and all her lovely broken boys. Last December I read both Hushed and Suicide Watch and I absolutely loved them. They were without a doubt two of my favorite books of 2015. Now Made of Stars is one of my favs of 2016.

As always, there’s just this eerie feeling that comes with her novels and I’m addicted to it. They’re dark and twisted stories that make you question y
MLE
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, yad
I received this book as an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A really well written story of friendship and love. I really liked all the characters, and the depth of their bonds with each other. I loved how Ashlin, even though she didn’t get what she thought she wanted, was never made out to be the bitchy, jealous female, and how her love for both her brother and her friend never wavered. I really liked Hunter, and his need to appear to be strong, and protect those he cared
Jolene Perry
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you finish and then sit in that bubble of amazing things and wish that it wasn't over.

Yes, It's that good.

These characters will stick with me for a long time.
Nyrae Dawn
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Kelley York's writing. She makes me fall in love with these broken, flawed characters who I don't expect to love. Made of Stars is an incredible book. It blew me away.
Leeanna
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, purge, e-book, arcs
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

MADE OF STARS is a book that chewed me up, spit me out, and left me reeling. In the BEST way possible. This is not a YA book where there are happy endings and star-filled, easy love affairs. If you like twisty, dark, heart-breaking stories, this is the book for you.

All I can really say is READ THIS BOOK. NOW. I was lucky enough to read it in one sitting, which I think is the best way to do it, and was consumed by the emotional experience
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posed at Ja čitam, a ti?

If I needed to describe this book using only few words it'd be full of surprises. Mostly because I had no idea what's this book about, but I have heard great things about Kelly York's writing so I wanted to get a full experience. I did accomplish that.

For one reason or another I though that this was actually a paranormal read when I get to read the book I understood that this was actually a contemporary story in it's finest. It's not a typical boy meets girl
J.S.
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really want to write an amazing review for this, it deserves one. It's such an astoundingly beautiful story that will stay with me for a long, long time. Forever, even (I took these characters to heart and, damnit, they're staying there!). Thing is, though, the words to describe the soul deep impact this had on me...I simply don't have em.

Ashlin:
"It breaks my heart a little in the same way that it makes me smile. We're so close to a happy ending."

*Sigh*

I got rather, um, expressive while read
Will
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
CANT REVIEW PROPERLY BECAUSE I AM UNABLE TO SEE THROUGH MY TEARZZZZ
:''''(((((

Chance why did you do that??!!

WHY
WHY

Ashley
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG! THAT'S where it ENDS?!?!?! I am FREAKING out! I NEED MORE! I will be reviewing this on my blog, and will update this once it's been posted.

UPDATE (from my blog)

When I finished this book, I literally had to pick my jaw up from the floor! These were the words I wrote immediately after finishing: OMG! THAT'S where it ENDS?!?!?! I am FREAKING out! I NEED MORE!

So let's just say...if you don't like unknowns or cliffhangers at the end of books, you might want to stay away from this one. :) This wa
Jillyn
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chance is a constant in the lives of half-siblings Ashlin and Hunter. For as long as they can remember, their quirky friend has been by their sides. They're a perfect group of three. The siblings are ecstatic when they come to their Dad's house for the first time in years, knowing that things will pick up where they left off. But they're older now, and Chance's lies don't quite add up. Hunter and Ash start to question why Chance hides so much from them when they're so close..... And then his mot ...more
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
*Thank you Entangled Teen for providing me with an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

It’s… wow.

Made of Stars impressed me beyond words. I never thought I would come to love this book so much, but God did it affect me. I am still lost in Kelley York’s words and in her intriguing characters.

Hunter and Ashlin are these great half siblings, who love each other no matter what. They have different personalities, but in the long run, they are good and supporting for each other. While
Maggie Simms
Oh this book...

If I were to rate this book on the journey I would rate it a 5++ stars. If I were to rate it on the destination, it would be a 1 star. I want to be fair and focus on 90 percent of the book for rating purposes.

This is a book that had two things that I was iffy about: One of the two narrators is a female. And it is told in first person present tense (my least favorite). I still went for it because Hushed is one of my favorite books. It was the right choice because this book was f
Pjm12
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is intense and absorbing. It starts out pretty much as a typical YA... teenage half-siblings hanging out for the summer break where they get to spend all their time with their elusive mate Chance. But of course things have to change. Their father is shot, which puts a halt to the extended visits and once he recovers, Hunter and Ash come back during winter.Once the three teenagers have been fairly well established, the novels turns into a suspenseful mystery.

Both Hunter and Ash have narrativ
Alycia
It's out today!!! If you love haunting, captivating, amazing books, then this is for you!! Plus, it's LGBT.

Exciting news this week for MADE OF STARS. It just sold to Random House Germany AND it's a Junior Library Guild selection!!! I have so much love for this book and for Chance. <3
Mai
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eread, painful-reads
Kelley York, Kelley York, Kelley York. You don't love a book, you love how the author manipulated you into reading it.

I loved Hushed so much and that's why I'm on a mission to read every single writing for Kelley York, I loved how she weaved a world building of murder and mystery inside a LGBT community, how she takes stereotypes out of her characters and just rarely mention the word "gay" or "lesbian" she just present her character as they are and this is more reason to love them.

Trisha Harrington
I love Kelley York. I've loved her since Suicide Watch and I also adored her book Hushed, so when I saw this one and read the blurb, I knew I'd have to read it. It sounded like it would be my thing and it was. It was an awesome YA.

The only issue I have is the ending. But at the same time, I actually sort of liked the ending. It's strange. I normally like happy endings or some sort of closure, but this left me screaming and wanting more. But there's no confirmed sequel... So you see my problem.
Jamie Manning
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
York has done it again with a beautiful, true-to-life story that grips you by the heart and doesn't let go--even AFTER it's over. A must read!
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
"That's the sort of person Chance is.
He gets under your skin, and even when he's gone, you still feel him there like a dull ache.
A warm memory you can never quite reclaim."

Made of Stars is a book that is part mystery, part coming of age romance. The first half of the story read like any good coming of age tale where boy meets girl, girl falls helplessly for boy, boy could care less etc....and in that regard I loved the story. It was fluffy and romantic and I loved the playfulness of it all. Th
Jenni Arndt
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-ebook
Actual rating is 4.5

I remember reading Kelley York’s Hushed last year and really liking the ominous quality of the writing. When I started Made of Stars I was looking for more of that and I got it in droves. On the surface this is a dark story full of abuse, tension and even murder but underneath it really is a beautiful story with one of the most interesting romances I have read in a long time.

We get this story in the alternating POV’s of half siblings Hunter and Ashlin. Since they were little
Lesley Marie
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ten-Second Review: A heartbreaking, dark story that is brilliantly told with Kelley York’s raw way of writing. I think I might have a new favorite writer.

More-Than-Ten-Second Review:

This might sound dramatic but if you had to compare Made of Stars to anything, anything in the universe, I would compare it to the stars in the sky. I really would. Made of Stars is a story that burns brightly and full of hopeful light, but then it flicker away into a story that will drop your heart onto the ground a
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle, e-arc
I’ve heard such great things about Hushed, which I haven’t had the opportunity to read yet. So going into this one, I had very high hopes. I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would, but it was overall a good story. I do have to say how much it bothered me though that the synopsis gives so much away. I mean, Chance’s mother doesn’t die until around 60% into the book. To me, that’s a spoiler by every sense of the word. I would have loved to have come upon that scene without already knowing it ...more
Crystal
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
OMG What in the hale just happened?!! That's not how you end a book! My heart is shattered!! I knew going in that this book was going to be tough to read, but I never thought it would end that way! OMG what am I gonna do????

Okay I have no clue where I am going to start with this review. Made of Stars is one of those rare books where not a whole lot happens throughout its pages, but what is said between the characters makes up for the lack of action and adventure. Ash, Hunter, and Chance were the
Peter
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seem to have fallen into a rut of reading a few pages of a book and then finishing it later on in one sitting. That was definitely the case with this book.

IT. WRECKED. ME.

I was so hooked by this book it wasn't even funny. Once I got in a few chapters, there was no turning back. So, Made of Stars is told in alternating perspectives between half siblings Ashlin and Hunter. Both are closer than I would've imagined for half siblings who don't see each other for most of the year and whose mothers
Jennifer Oliveira
Wow.
This is a powerful book. It's not huge (it says 300 and something pages but it isn't, the story itself is 252 pages and the rest are sneak peeks from other two books) but it conveys a lot of emotion within its pages. You don't really know what's going on in the beginning and so you feel good and happy for like 2/3 of the book, where you're thinking "will they, won't they" with two of the main characters as one of them struggles with his feelings and sexuality (sort of a 'gay for you' thing).
Liviania
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I discovered Kelley York's HUSHED sometime around March last year, I think. I still haven't read it, but it's on my wishlist. The summary really stuck out and has hung in my mind. When York's new book, MADE OF STARS, popped up on Netgalley, I made with the grabby hands. Here was a chance to give her a try!

MADE OF STARS is the story of three teenagers. Hunter and Ashlin are half-siblings, and Chance is their childhood friend, who they hung out with during summers at their dad's. Now, Hunter and A
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
overview/question 2 15 Jan 23, 2015 12:17PM
Do you think there will be a second part to this book? 3 27 Jan 20, 2015 08:54AM

• Intervention
  • Atom Heart John Beloved
  • Vivaldi in the Dark (Vivaldi in the Dark, #1)
  • Sacrificed (Little Boy Lost, #6)
  • Kieran & Drew
  • 366 Days
  • Silent
  • Andy Squared
  • The Cost of Loving (Unconditional Love, #2)
  • St. Clair (Gives Light , #3)
  • Memorizing You
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Collide
  • All The Colors Of Love
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
Kelley is a central California girl through and through. She resides in Sacramento with her wife, daughter, a German Shepherd, a handful of cats and rats. In addition to writing, she has her A.S. in Anthropology, and is a graphic designer with a specialty in book cover design. She spends her spare time playing video games and tabletop games like the nerd she is. Her specialty is LGBT+ fiction, usu ...more
“Even the stars are lies. They sparkle so brightly, but their shine takes years to reach us.” 18 likes
“We’re all made of stars,” he agrees. “We burn bright, then we flicker away".” 7 likes