Start by marking “Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)” as Want to Read:
Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)

Taking Chances

(Taking Chances #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  44,071 ratings  ·  5,406 reviews
Her first year away is turning out to be nearly perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.

Eighteen-year-old Harper has grown up under the thumb of her career marine father. Ready to live life her own way and to experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit, she's on her way to college at San Diego Sta
Published October 16th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Taking Chances, please sign up.
Mona
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ava
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
Non spoiler review – Spoiler review at the very bottom, but you will have enough time NOT to read it.

TEAM CHASE!!!!

I finished this book 8 hours ago and I was hoping once I had a few hours to think about the events that happened, I would have a different opinion. Well, 8 hours later and I still feel the same. When I started Taking Chances, I was really looking forward to it and you know what, it was so damn good too. Within 4% of reading, I was hooked. It had similarities to Beautiful Disaster b
Dianne Santiago
Angela
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star-reads
Alright, *cracks knuckles* let's do this.
Taking Chances was like reading Beautiful Disaster all over again. I was past being annoyed. Every single person and event in this book set me off. This book had me laughing... at it, not with it.

Harper is one of the most throat punching females I've read in the longest. She comes from a very sheltered background. VERY ridiculously sheltered. Girl hasn't even gone to a mall before. Yeah, I don't believe it either. I get that your dad is a strict marine
Taryn
This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I'm an emotional wreck right now. I think I'm going to need therapy after reading this book. I am devastated and distraught with too many emotions that I can hardly think straight.

I don't even know where to begin. This book was a bittersweet find for me. It has everything I love in my angsty reads- and the one thing I hate.

Raised by her strict Military single father, Harper grew up around jar heads her entire life. She doesn't have a normal relationsh
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book should come with a warning label...

I'm scared of bananas. True story. I'm absolutely terrified of a yellow fruit shaped like a penis...I feel sorry for inanimate objects. I once bought the ugliest bird shaped candle just because I was afraid nobody else would. I named him Herbert...I think that every time someone renews their driver's license they should be required to take a test on the rules of a four-way stop...I've never kissed a girl and I'm pretty sure I'm the only human being wi
Marie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
I tried guys, I tried. For those people who have messaged me and told me to not be so critical when I haven't finished the book. Well I tried. AGAIN. FOR YOU.
And AGAIN, I JUST COULDN'T.
There's just so many things wrong with this book. Even if I read it to the very end I can most assure you Taking Chances lovers that my views will never change. I ask that you respect my views and if you do not well.... write your own review.. simple.

description

I COULDN'T FINISH THIS.
IT WAS TOO HEARTBREAKING, I CHOKED U
Erin
Sep 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Let me see if I can scrape together the pieces that are left of my shattered heart and try to come up with a way to review this book. I debated for a few days whether or not I wanted to bother, but I decided to go ahead for one reason, and that is to give the character I fell head-over-heels for the attention and remembrance that he didn't get in this story.

I freely admit that I'm an emotional reader. I read as an escape, to immerse myself in the thrills, suspense, romance, and beautiful writin
Christy
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-audio
Audio re-read November 2018

Gah! I forgot how painful this book was... it doesn't get easier. I'm glad I did a re-read because I do love these characters and the story, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be crazy enough read it again. Time will tell ;)

5 stars!
Okay what to say about this book? I LOVED IT! Well, that would be an understatement! All the characters were wonderful (except Trish) and it was just a great story. I really loved Brandon by the end of the book, which surprised me because I was
Nora
Oct 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm blown away reading these reviews. I'm sorry, but am I the ONLY one who found this book painfully predictable and poorly written? Am I the only one who saw the picture-perfect characters and situations completely unrealistic? I may be a happy girl with a happy life, but even I was rolling my eyes SO OFTEN at the cheese factor. Why did I keep reading? Because I never start a book and don't finish, it's just a thing. (Some tiny spoilers in this review but nothing major. Just general ranting).

An
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Oh boy! I think I found my new favorite book :')
It was just.. I don't have words at the moment.

It was so much like Beautiful Disasters, Thoughtless and Vampire Diaries(the show, without the fiction) and yet so much more ❤

A total emotional roller coaster, I cried, I laughed, I blushed, I was shocked, I fell in love with two wonderful guys tonight! Stayed up the whole night to finish the book, reach the end and damn was it worth loosing sleep over.

The twist which is comes around 50% through the b
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Pardon me but ...

Just no!
Jennifer Kyle
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
TO: MOLLY MCADAMS--- “FOR THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES, WE ARE NOT FRIENDS."

This book ripped my heart out and left me in mourning. I had to gather the strength to read on and finish. How can it be that the main character is blissfully happy and I am utterly miserable to the very end of this amazing story?

There are three drool worthy guys included in this book, but one of them stole my heart from the very beginning: “Oh My God! Princess! You're my new favorite." I fell completely in love!

I found myself
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Thoughtless by S.C.Stephens and Beautiful Disaster by Jaime McGuire
Spoiler Free Review
3.5 to 4 STARS out of 5
Genre: YA/New Adult-Mature content

Passengers please lower your harness and fasten your seatbelts for safety. This book hits sharp turns has high peaks and fast drops.
**smiles** Please enjoy the ride!

Emotional Roller-Coaster does not even begin to describe this book. My face leaked from every hole it has I'm talkin can't stop cryin nose blowin mouth drooling weeping. YES it is that intense. Don't say I didn't warn you.

'I wanted to have dysfunctional rela
Limonessa
That I subject myself to stuff like this over and over again can only be definitive proof of my masochistic tendencies. I really don't know why I choose these absurd stories, un-freaking-believable, where the characters are clearly made out of cardboard, where the writing is bad, bad, bad and the editing is worse, where there isn't an original idea even if you look for it with a microscope and which are also about 75% too long than needed.
I kid you not, I was at 30% and had the impression that
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Revision 10/07/12 because I laughed my ass off that this new book already made it to number 1 on Listopia's Books that seriously piss you off
...and Shark Contemporary week rolls on...

I made it a goal before finishing Taking Chances to remain zen for the writing of this review, knowing full well that the last part of the book might set me on edge. Well guess what? I'm perfectly okay.
Look at me, I'm not raging! It's an early Christmas miracle!

See, the thing is, the part of the book that was
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
My thoughts on Taking Chances.....

I felt myself being pulled back and forth between Chase and Brandon, I couldn't decide at first but I decided on Brandon, and I have to say he was my choice throughout. And yes, I know I am in the minority! So Harper's actions peeved me off no end!!!!!

However, my thoughts on that is that here's this girl who has been like a bird locked in her cage throughout her life, starved from love with no Mum and a Dad who she respected but had a pretty cold and no affectio
Isamlq
Sep 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
We suspend our disbelief, and not our intelligence in reading. So, know that plenty moments in this had me calling BS (never been to a mall, my patootie.) Frankly, I do see why it's well received by some, what with its tatted-up bad boy, secret fighter good boy, and the girl with zero experience... except, as usual, for me, things got a bit much...

The story's Drama's Progression:
1. Cow eyes from one or two of them directed at her.
2. Love is in the air, and their inner cavemen start coming ou
May
Aug 31, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: estantería
UNA NOVELA MUY HAAAAAAAAAASTA LUEGO MARI CARMEN

Arriésgate es una novela juvenil contemporánea muy en la línea de las novedades editoriales que multiplican ventas cada mes. Una novela que cuenta el drama amoroso de una chica de dieciocho años que pasa por romances desenfrenados y giros de vida absurdos para su edad. Una novela absurda, con una trama más absurda todavía, mal escrita y organizada y con personajes desdibujados y planísimos.
Como veis, Arriésgate no ha sido para nada una buena lectur
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
(THIS CONTAINS HUUUGE SPOILERS)

Okay, this is hard. I usually don’t review books that I have given 1 star but on this one, I’m willing to make an exception.

First, I have nothing against the Author. All the reasons I have given this book a 1 star is really just because of the book. Second, It’s not because of the writing. I honestly think it’s okay-written so yeah.. It’s all because of the PLOT!

I have never – EVER – been so disappointed on a book before! SOMEBODY GIVE ME A TROPHY FOR PUNISHING MYS
Maria Clara
Oct 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lo siento, lo he intentado pero es imposible. El lenguaje es pobre, la trama es un cliché y no entiendo por qué todos los hombres están enamorados de la protagonista (a menos que sea porque es virgen) y un sinfín más de pequeños detalles.
Jessica
It’s not like I haven’t been warned. There are plenty of reviews out there telling people just how DRAMATIC this story is. Yet, I couldn’t stay away...I just had to find out for myself. Well, what do they say? Curiosity killed the cat.

What.The.F*ck. Seriously.

You know, I started off liking this story. I have a thing for cocky bad boys and there were some pretty steamy scenes and so I thought this would be right up my alley. WRONG! Things got ridiculous pretty quickly after basically the entire m
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
If you had asked me for a star rating at around the 50% mark of this book I would have said 5 big shiny stars because up to this point all I had done since picking up the book was ;

I loved it, I was gripped, I couldn't put it down, I had to force myself to put my ipad down just to carry out basic daily functions....wow what a book.......

But then I readjust passed the 50% mark and a certain event happens and I was like;

And then I carried on reading and I was like;

And then I couldn't help but fe
Christine Zolendz
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the most emotional book I think I have ever read. I hated THAT part. I hate HE was gone. This book stays with you after you're done and you feel all banged up inside. All I've been doing is hugging my husband.
Aestas Book Blog
Sep 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
EEEEEPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! HOLY HELL! I just found out some of the stuff I always need to know before I start a book and I'm pretty sure this book is gonna rip my heart to itty-bitty shreds but I so totally want to read it!! ... will have to save it for when I can lock myself in a room and cry away
Natasha is a Book Junkie
When a book decides to tackle such serious topics such as this one, I feel that a review has to reflect that. It would be irresponsible and quite out of character for me to just skim over the massive elephant in the room and focus only on how un-puttable-down this story might have been or how pleasantly angsty some parts of it were. This is a serious book, this is not a book for the light-hearted and this is not an easy read. The best way I can describe the way the events in this book affected m ...more
KarenH
Being a big fan of Beautiful Disaster and Thoughtless/Effortless, I'm always looking for a book that will give me the same adrenaline rush I felt when I read those. Taking Chances was that book for me. It has the incredibly sexy, tatted, buzzed-head hero who makes a living as an underground fighter like BD and the heart-wrenching love triangle between a sweet girl and two equally awesome frat brothers who are both in love with her like T/E. Can Romancelandia get any better for me? Not likely.

Har
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

***DNF***

Ok, I have been refraining from rating or reviewing DNF books but I am not going to do it anymore. I have seen some friends complaining about people "attacking" them because they do not rate books the same way and this has to stop guys. We are not robot, we don't like the same books and we need to let other people rate/review books the way they want.

I didn't mark this one as read because I know most of my friends are absolute fans of this book and I deeply respect them so pls, respect m
Taz-xo
Just purchased this for my Kindle from Amazon UK! People are comparing it to Beautiful Disaster which excites me! Can't wait to get stuck in!!

Edit 5/9/12
I think I'm going to put this on hold for now, and I'll tell you why. The first 50% of the book was amazing. I only started it today and I haven't been able to put it down even once, until now. I'll be honest when that predictable event with Trish happened, I was amazed that Harper couldn't see through her. Was it just obvious to everyone else b
Jacqueline's Reads
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Mandee Migliaccio

4 Dramatic Stars

This will be a hard review for me because there are a lot of elements in Taking Chances I have personal issues with. So please note, these are personal issues and this is my personal opinion.

Here we go…

A lot of people recommended Taking Chances to me. However, my girlfriend read it and DNF. I asked her why and she basically told me what happened up until the 50% mark. So I have been putting it off for a very long time. I don’t know why I decided to pick up, maybe because I am a
  • Ruining You (Ruining, #2)
  • Finding Chase (Chasing Nikki, #2)
  • Metamorphosis (Book Boyfriend, #1)
  • Avoiding Commitment (Avoiding, #1)
  • Up in Flames
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
  • Date Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #3)
  • Chasing Leah (Journey, #1)
  • Faithful (Wanted, #3)
  • Broken Fairytales (Broken Fairytales, #1)
  • Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2)
  • Arsen: A Broken Love Story
  • Relentless (Shattered Hearts, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Untouchable, #2)
  • Finding Never (Tasting Never, #2)
  • Risking Fate (Mitchell Family, #4)
  • Tidal
  • Bound Together (Bound Together, #1)
Molly grew up in California but now lives in the oh-so-amazing state of Texas with her husband, daughter, and fur babies. When she's not diving into the world of her characters, some of her hobbies include hiking, snowboarding, traveling, and long walks on the beach … which roughly translates to being a homebody with her hubby and dishing out movie quotes. She has a weakness for crude-humored movi ...more

Taking Chances (2 books)
  • Trusting Liam (Taking Chances, #2)
“That first night, I did realize I would never meet another girl like you. But you deserve someone who has waited for you as long as you have waited for them. And no matter how much I wish I could be that guy, I can't Harper.” 238 likes
“And he loved you and your mom, so much. I’ll always remind you of that, but I wish you could have met him.” -Brandon” 209 likes