Start by marking “It's Not Luck” as Want to Read:
It's Not Luck

It's Not Luck

There has been a shift of policy at board level. Cash is needed and Alex Rogo's companies are to be put on the block. Alex faces a cruel dilemma. If he successfully completes the turnaround of his companies they can be sold for the maximum return: if he fails they will be closed down. Either way Alex and his team will be out of work. It looks like lose-lose, both for Alex ...more
Published March 2nd 2002 by Routledge (first published October 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Luck, please sign up.
Jay Mishra Alex Rogo (as per the book) was as close to an ideal boss one could ask for. Open to feedback, allowing his subordinates to come up with the ideas, gu…moreAlex Rogo (as per the book) was as close to an ideal boss one could ask for. Open to feedback, allowing his subordinates to come up with the ideas, guiding wherever he could but giving a free rein, and most importantly, looking out for the employees and being vocal against layoffs - knowing that cost cutting is not the surefire way to improve the bottomline - while coming up with the best alternative to keep the all-powerful board pleased.(less)

Start your review of It's Not Luck
Jan-Maat
In The Goal, Eliyahu Goldratt set out in the form of a novel what he called 'the theory of constraints', broadly the principle that a convoy moves at the speed of the slowest ship into a universal organising idea, this book.

As a story it's not as effective, there isn't the same sense of threat or excitement that I felt in the first book as Alex grappled to save the factory, and employed the same insights on batch size management and production organisation to save his marriage (view spoiler)
Demi Yilmaz
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to everyone.

This is one of the best books I've read. The thinking processes are amazing and well structured. The book doesn't show a step by step on how a problem is solved but is a story where a manager solves problems one by one using the Theory of Constraints Thinking Processes.

It took me a while to construct a system on how these processes could be applied. There wasn't a complete set of example which uses all the tools for 1 specific problem so I created it. I've done
Rick Yvanovich
I do so much enjoy the style of Eli Goldratt, I find its easy to read and understand the concepts. This book is like a sequel to The Goal and takes the TOC concepts into other areas of the business such as Marketing and sales. If you liked the Goal, you'll like this too.
Sergey Shishkin
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alex Rogo continues doing miracles at UniCo. In this installment he turns 3 companies in his diversified group from "bottomless pits" into highly profitable businesses and role models in their respective industries.

Through Alex' story Dr. Goldratt introduces the concept of the market perception of value and the ToC thinking processes: construction of the conflict cloud, the current and the future reality trees. He also develops generic win-win marketing strategy and outlines the foundation of th
Robert Pragai
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alex Rogo demonstrates how one can facilitate and empower people around them to solve problems in different industries.
Vadassery Rakesh
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-challenge
Finally a sequel which is better than the original. I thought initially that goal-2 is just an effort to make money piggybacking on the success of Goal. But thoroughly mistaken. Goal -2 is definetely a better book, but only could be understood if you've read Goal.
The ideas are typically of a genius.
Adnan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice storytelling and fascinating ideas. Would be even better if it included more graphic details to help visualise the concepts.

I recommend to read The Goal first.
Razvan Rogoz
Oh man...

I remember clearly when I've started this book. I was in London, at Victoria Station. The station was under maintenance and there were workers everywhere. I was so much younger than now. But as with so many things in life, I've never finished it.

Well, I did now.

And it's awesome. And I love business novels. And I enjoyed it just as much as "The Goal".

But this 3 AM review will be more than about the book.

You see, on a rational level, I know one thing. Each time after I finish one of thes
Melanie Hughes
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: systems-thinking
Some more helpful tools from Goldratt--current reality trees, cloud diagrams. All immediately applicable to my C523 Systems Decision Theory and Applications coursework in the MBA. A business book in a novel format.
Bjoern Rochel
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, eng-mgmt
The idea of the LTP is intriguing. However after listening to the audio-version book, I'm not sure whether I could create a tree. Reading the book would have been better.
Ciprian Dobre-Trifan
Just like The Goal, this book is a gold mine. Explains with unshakable logic most business strategy trends that still govern our world today. Simply awesome!
Goktug Yilmaz
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio

Theory of Constraints:
- Whenever we face a conflict we should not attempt to avoid it by compromising. First step is to precisely verbalize the conflict, then we can find how to break it.
- You can always turn a problem into an opportunity.

Generic:
- Most of the money invested in the market belongs to pension funds for retirement income. Not banks or rich investors.
- People are strange. If reality doesn’t mimic their expectations, if the precaution that they took turns out to be unnecessary, they
Keith
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, fiction
Main character: Alex Rogo Wife: Julie
Like The Goal, Alex Rogo is the main character. This story starts with him as the manager.
Daughter:
Son:
Boss:
Other Books By Eli Goldratt (and Jeff Cox):
The Goal; A Process of Ongoing Improvement

Like The Goal, Alex Rogo is the main character. This story starts with him as the manager of three plants. In the first chapter, the board proposes to sell his companies. In the second chapter, family dynamics are introduced.

Goldratt's Approach
What is the current real
Janani
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's Not Luck aka The Goal 2 checks in on Alex Rogo 6 years after the story of The Goal ends. Alex is now an EVP, in charge of the diversified companies division of UniCo. He's been responsible for taking companies in the red and turning them into breakeven/low profit territory. But UniCo has a cash flow problem, and they want to sell off the diversified group companies. Alex is faced with a dilemma - if he can't improve the companies quickly, he has nothing to recommend him to a new job. And if ...more
Andrew Griffiths
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed "It's Not Luck", as much if not more than the first book "The Goal". Having read John Kotter's books on change management using animal fables to teach business concepts, 'business fiction' (as I call it) is fast becoming one of my favourite things out there!

The capacity to teach really very technical and complex strategic concepts through storytelling is such an enjoyable form of learning and should be adopted by far more authors! In this book we learn a great deal about Thi
Toshihiro
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy that you can learn a lot.

In many fantasy nobels, the hero ia a ordinal boy at fairst. But he somehow get a super power, often from a mysterious menter, then he can fight to monsters with the power, and wins. Here the power is Thinking Process and the monster is rh harsh market. The book is fun to read along with a lot to kearn with lively described example.
This is the second nobel from the author with the same people plus a new monster; hero Alex, menter Jonah and monster may be invester
Darius Daruvalla-riccio
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent sequel to The Goal. It follows the logical steps that follow a company transformation according to The Goal.

The Goal explains how to transform the processes in your company, managing flow, improving productivity, quality and on time delivery while reducing inventory and lead times. However it is possible not to take advantage of these process improvements in a business sense. It's Not Luck shows how marketing, strategy and finance must be used to leverage your new competitive advant
Jaydeep Ashtamkar
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Parry
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Business Book that is a novel you read

I have read The Goal, the preceding book, and was hooked. This is a great way to learn about the Theory of Constraints without the dry lecture. By basing the teaching on real world examples you are gripped and want to learn.

These books require multiple readings so that you get the most from them. However they also enthuse you with the desire to learn.
Qurban Khattak
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Goldratt has did it again for me. As a student of Management Science I was first introduced to The Goal by my teacher. It had helped me to understand the basic management concepts. And now I have finished reading this sequel and it make so much sense. I must admit it not a very dramatic story, but in the end that is the theme of the book. It is to educate the reader with Jonah's Philosophy. And its extremely effective. A must read book for Management Sciences student around the world.
Michał Płachta
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one as a novel, but not as much as The Goal, which conveyed more profound content. This book is focused on different tools we should use to grasp the constrains we are working with.

We meet protagonists from the previous book, but this time Alex and his wife are proficient in thinking processes and use them daily, both in work and at home. They are fighting with "local optimas", family crises and marketing strategies for 3 companies from various industries.
Andrew Karnowski
Good theory... Didn't like as much as the goal

The book almost felt forced. I added the to my reading list after finishing the goal a few years ago. From what I can remember of that book the story-explation method was much more fluid. This presentation of this method felt forced. Also explain of the method feels incomplete... I get the just of how to make a tree... But there were so many different tree types that kept popping up especially at the end.
Rob Markley
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
After being terribly impressed by Goldratt's first book 'The Goal' on his theory of restraints I looked for more. This was just okay. The ideas weren't terribly original or insightful and the case he makes not nearly as compelling. However my own manufacturing experience in planning also taught me that TOC can too readily be simplistically applied with disastrous results
Klaus
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know that this was the book that explains the thinking processes. I had discovered those earlier in my life when I found Flying Logic. They were key for me to write Vithanco. But only know I read the introduction.

As always with Goldratt the book is a bit one-dimensional in the sense that everything is made fitting. But then he has a valid message and ensures that it comes across.
G Scott
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an energizing read for me--to get to think in ways that really search for an understanding of what problems our clients are trying to solve. It also is helpful to understand so many of our constraints are policy driven, and often not physical constraints. A must read for anyone with responsibility for sales or marketing.
Ville
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Builds on 'The Goal' (same caveats - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) and elaborates further, with more detail, on the application of Goldratt's Theory of Constraints (ToC) in different contexts with different tools. Recommended for readers of 'The Goal' and those interested in the application of ToC. ...more
Saad
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this book, albeit very good, a little more abstract and less grounded then The Goal. I attribute this to being way more in touch with the issues and nuances discussed in The Goal then It's Not Luck. When I am, one day, at a position similar to Alex's in this book, I will perhaps, come back and have another go at it. It is not The Goal, but still a terrific read.
PJ DE
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still the best book I have read on Marketing

Well written, with a main character with which you instantly identify. Fast paced, moving from one solution to the next. The TOC thinking processes are well explained and the book leaves you inspired to try them yourself.
Andrei
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
More info on the techniques themselves but the story itself is very ... optimistic in the actual life progression of the characters. Clearly it's an idealistic representation of the life of someone using the techniques but ... real life is sadly not as predictable.
Srivardhan
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I simply loved this novel. More than the novel it is a way to solve a problem. The author has just woven a story around a thinking process. Of course, I have not yet tried that thinking process, but I sure will. Am gonna read this many more times in future.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Unicorn Project
  • Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & flow
  • The Toyota Way: 14 Management Principles from the World's Greatest Manufacturer
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Machine That Changed the World: The Story of Lean Production
  • Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Beyond The Phoenix Project: The Origins and Evolution Of DevOps (Official Transcript of The Audio Series)
  • Winning
  • The Logical Thinking Process: A Systems Approach to Complex Problem Solving
  • 45 Татуировок менеджера
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • No B.S. Ruthless Management of People and Profits: No Holds Barred, Kick Butt, Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Really Getting Rich
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
Eliyahu M. Goldratt was an educator, author, physicist, philosopher and business leader, but first and foremost, he was a thinker who provoked others to think. Often characterized as unconventional, stimulating, and “a slayer of sacred cows,” he urged his audience to examine and reassess their business practices with a fresh, new vision.

Dr. Goldratt is best known as the father of the Theory of Con

News & Interviews

“In order to significantly increase sales we have to increase the perception of value of the market for our products.” 1 likes