Start by marking “Saving the World at Work: What Companies and Individuals Can Do to Go Beyond Making a Profit to Making a Difference” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Saving the World at Wo...

Tim Sanders

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Even the actions of a single person can help to change the world. How? Through simple acts of leadership and compassion. Open up this book, and discover the true stories of people whose actions have caused a chain reaction at work and in their communities. Among them:
A manager who gives an employee some supportive praise, and as a result literally saves his life (page 231
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Saving the World at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving the World at Work

Robert
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Of special interest to me is what Sanders has to say about what he calls the "saver soldier," a highly motivated individual who leverages work as a platform to help save the world. She or he is convinced that a business can do well by doing good. Sanders examines various saver soldiers, three of whom (e.g. IBM's Jeff Immelt, Patagonia's Yvon Choinard, and Aveda's Horst Rechelbacher) "have stated that they don't expect to achieve their vision single-handedly; they need foot soldiers to scout, inn
Thomas
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Corporate Social Responsibility. The concept of for-profit companies viewing themselves as citizens over consumers is refreshing and well-developed. This book is neither of those things.

Instead of this book, check out "Firms of Endearment" or read Michael Porter's take on CSR. Both present facts and multiple examples of what corporate responsibility looks like - "Saving the World at Work" provides minimal anecdotal examples, and really just feels like an extended diatribe on the woes of A
Kelly
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The first half of this book was hard to get through. That part is trying to sell you on the idea of companies doing more than just making a profit. So if you're already convinced of the value of such a company, I'd say skip the first half.

I much preferred the second half because it got more practical. In particular, the chapter on how to influence change in your company was a great overview that I think I'll keep around for reference.

The second half also has a few chapters with ideas for changes
Nick
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally books come along that capture the spirit of a new age. This is one of those books. Tim Sanders demonstrates, in well-written, clearly argued prose, that companies need to change the way they do business, or risk falling behind the others who do. What's the new business model? Companies need to embrace corporate social responsibility in a real way. They need to take care of their employees, contribute positively to the communities in which they operate, and go wholeheartedly green. S ...more
Asta
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read which will motivate you to jump up and save the world at work. Seriously, Sanders makes it seem possibly for anyone, working anywhere to change the way their company conducts business. Something tells me that if it was really that easy, the corporate American culture would be a little different . . . I do like Sander's idea of "them-geners" is a natural part of social progression. I also agreed with the notion that "them-geners" will be teaching the CEO's of today how to lea ...more
Emilie
I picked it up to get some ideas on how to get buy-in from my organization, where I have attempted to start a Green Committee. The author offers some good ideas, provides examples of successful and viable socially responsible companies, Ray Andersen's Interface being one of the best known. I might not read the whole book, but it validates my feeling that there is more to work than earning a dollar, and that it is okay to want to feel like what I am doing and where I work is socially responsible.
Erica
Feb 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep trying to read these kinds of books, and often they just aren’t very good. This one was definitely better than the rest. The idea of course is that there is lots of stuff you can do to make the world a better place, and some of it is at your place of business.

Full review at http://palenerd.wordpress.com/2009/03...
Bill
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't really that inspiring of a text. I was disappointing in the examples it used to validate assertions, and the topic wasn't one I was really predisposed to beforehand (and it didn't convince me).
Kieran Jones
it motivated me to think more carefully about the supply chain for my business and maximize the good choices there. I was able to find a new acupuncture needle company that aligns better with my world view. However, the read itself was less than awesome. It felt like work getting through it.
Gwen
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For me, the best nuggets were the reminders of how dramatically the 35-45yr. old talent pool will shrink in the coming decade. Their values are different as well. Are we ready for the upcoming talent war? How will linking purpose to work improve talent engagement?
Alan
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, inspiring book. I'm thrilled I got to see Sanders speak at a United Way event in KC. He really gives you a different set of lenses through which to look at the world.
Ryan Brinkworth
Some compelling case studies of small things making a big difference in work offices.

A great read for those who are looking to make a difference, without resorting to hugging trees and eating only vegetables which don't cast a shadow.
Steve
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Sanders comes across as overly optimistic and idealistic, he does show numerous examples of individuals making HUGE differences in society by speaking up and following through with companies to improve their corporate responsibility.

Change one, change many...
Terry
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, but here is my advice on how to read it. Start with the last chapter, and work you way to the first. This is a good book for the proactive, I like my job, but I am burned out person. Great new ideas and ways to jump start your life at work.
Julie Baylor
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very practicial, thorough, and inspiring! Great suggestions on how all employees can initiate CSR activities in their workplace.
Matthew Dudley
The first 3/4 were good, with some decent ideas but the last quarter was basically a scolding to the reader that dramatically altered my overall opinion of the book to its detriment.
Tamara
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: green, non-fiction, work
Eh, too philosophical. I wanted to know how to convince people to prioritize the environment without an obvious monetary reward. Impossible???
Andrea
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great content, great writing, great mission.
Steve
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read about changes in consumer attitudes. In line with recent research by Yankelovich
Dylan Blanchard
Would have been better as a blog post, but it did have some good points, and aligns with my perspective on business.
Lindsay
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent for its genre, but not my favorite.
Thomas
Any book that starts with the division of people into the "Me generation," the "Us Generation," etc. does not deserve my time.
Lindsay
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's got some good points, but isn't my favorite of this type of genre.
Adriano Monteiro
  • Small is Possible: Life in a Local Economy
  • Teaching Minds: How Cognitive Science Can Save Our Schools
  • Fat Politics: The Real Story Behind America's Obesity Epidemic
  • Food and the City: Urban Agriculture and the New Food Revolution
  • Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--and the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • Building the Bridge as You Walk on It: A Guide for Leading Change
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • The Outline of History
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • Six Events: The Restoration Model for Solving Life's Problems
  • How to Be Like Mike: Life Lessons from Basketball's Best
  • Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
  • The Girl's Guide to Kicking Your Career Into Gear: Valuable Lessons, True Stories, and Tips For Using What You've Got (A Brain!) to Make Your Worklife Work for You
  • The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • The Hydrogen Economy: The Creation of the Worldwide Energy Web and the Redistribution of Power on Earth