Start by marking “Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)

Cop Hater

(87th Precinct #1)

When Detective Reardon is found dead, motive is a big question mark. But when his partner becomes victim number two, it looks like open-and-shut grudge killings. That is, until a third detective buys it.

ED MCBAIN'S FIRST 87th PRECINCT NOVEL
Published May 8th 2012 by Thomas & Mercer (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Cop Hater, please sign up.
George Why not? It's an effective anti-personnel weapon.

Why not? It's an effective anti-personnel weapon.

(And the word is caliBer. A caliper is a measuring instrument, but I don't know that it's much used on bullets.)(less)

Start your review of Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
Bobby Underwood
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gritty, lean, and at times surprisingly romantic, the first entry in the 87th Precinct series remains one of the best. Evan Hunter, author of The Blackboard Jungle and screenwriter for Hitchcock’s, The Birds, is better known today as Ed McBain because of the 87th Precinct series. He wrote Cop Hater in 1955 in hopes of filling a void being created at Pocket Books by the slightly diminishing output of the prolific Erle Stanley Gardner. The 87th Precinct novels not only filled that void, they broke ...more
Kemper
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, crime-mystery, 5-0
My to-read pile is completely out of control these days. So why would I make a special effort to check out the first book of a series that has over 50 (50!) books in the series?

It’s all Lawrence Block’s fault. He raved so much in The Crime of Our Lives about Evan Hunter who wrote this 87th precinct series under the McBain pen name that I started feeling guilty about never having read any of them. In fact, as a mystery fan I was ashamed to realize that the only Hunter/McBain I could recall check
James Thane
Originally published in 1956, this is the first novel in Ed McBain's long-running 87th Precinct series. It introduces Steve Carella, who would be the most prominent of the detectives that McBain created to populate his mythical precinct; it also introduces the large mythical city where the books are set and which is based loosely on New York City.

As the book opens, a plain clothes police detective is shot and killed as he is walking to work. The investigation into the killing has barely begun w
Dan Schwent
When a cop is cut down with a .45, Detectives Carella and Bush spring into action. But can they stop the killer before he kills again?

I was looking for another crime series to begin reading when the 87th Precinct series by Ed McBain caught my eye. I'd read one McBain book before, The Gutter and the Grave, and I enjoyed it enough to take a change on the long long long series of 87th Precinct books..

Cop Hater is a police procedural about someone killing cops, set in the fictional city of Isola. W
Julie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cop Hater by Ed McBain is a 2012 Thomas & Mercer publication.

This book was originally published way back in 1956 and is the first in the 87th precinct series, one of the longest running crime series in history, with a whopping fifty-five installments.

I’m not one hundred percent positive, but as far as I can tell, the entire series of books is available in the Amazon Kindle store, the digital format published by Thomas & Mercer, I believe. I also noticed that some of the books are part of the K
HBalikov
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging start for Steve Carella and the rest of the 87th Precinct gang. The author, writing as Ed McBain, is on to something big. Something that has had a major influence on storytelling in movies, TV, and the growth of the reality cop genre. You may have seen these quotes but they are worth including:

"I think Evan Hunter, known by that name or as Ed McBain, was one of the most influential writers of the postwar generation. He was the first writer to successfully merge realism with genre fic
Lynda
I usually start with a corpse. I then ask myself how the corpse got to be that way and I try to find out - just as the cops would. I plot, loosely, usually a chapter or two ahead, going back to make sure that everything fits - all the clues are in the right places, all the bodies are accounted for...(I) believe strongly in the long arm of coincidence because I know cops well, I know how much it contributes to the solving of real police cases.
--Ed McBain, on writing an 87th Precinct novel.

For
Melki
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
My dad was a huge Ed McBain fan, so of course, I spent some of my teenage years with the guys in the 87th Precinct, but I never read the entire series, in order, starting at the beginning. Anyway, here goes . . . book number one.

It's been almost 30 years since I visited the gang, but there's an old, comfortable feeling right from the first pages. It was easy to settle right in and make myself at home. I've always loved McBain's descriptions. He makes it easy to experience the sights, the smells,
Gary Sundell
The first entry in the 87th Precinct series. The series starts with a bang. The weather and the city are "characters" in this tale along with the cops of the 87th. The city of Isola isn't as fleshed out in this first book as it is in later books.
Leah
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, 2017, crime
A real classic...

When a cop is shot down in the street one night, the squad from the 87th Precinct in Isola swing into action. At first the reason for the shooting isn't known. Was it random? Was it personal? But when another cop from the precinct is killed in the same way it begins to look like there's a cop hater on the loose. Now Detective Steve Carella and his colleagues have two reasons to find the killer quickly – to get justice for their fellow officers and to stop the perpetrator before
Toby
My first experience of the 87th Precinct novels was good fun, unexpected in its style and content but an enjoyable read. Having recently read Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets I felt that the banter and camerarderie of the station house detectives felt both familiar and authentic which for me helped to give the book the edge over continuing or giving up early on.

It's a novel that's nearly 60 years old now and it hasn't really dated which is incredibly impressive. Sure we've all become immu
Jim
Mine is a 1989 edition by Books On Tape. Not abridged, read by Paul Shay who added absolutely NOTHING to the book. Actually, his voice just sucked. It wasn't a bad novel, although dated. That added to & subtracted from it, but more adds, IMO. I got a little tired of McBain explaining things that we've come to take for granted like fingerprints, but I guess some of the stuff wasn't common knowledge back when he wrote it. It really added to the atmosphere & tone, though.

The tone of the book is dog
Robert
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-deals
If I had forgotten why I liked Ed McBain, COP HATER would have made that process a whole lot easier for me. As it was, this was one novel of his that I knew I hadn’t read (so why not start at the ground floor?), and this was a series I knew I enjoyed, mainly because it’s built around a real (albeit made-up) world with a group of 87th Precinct detectives leading the charge, any of whom could end up on the cutting room floor at any time for any reason. If that isn’t enough to scare you straight, t ...more
Deb Jones
A gritty police procedural set in the 1950s in a mythical major city, USA. The characters are interesting -- although they are dropping like flies.
Melissa
Here is a novel where the men are the men, the women are the women, and never the 'twain shall understand each other. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it just leads to some pretty chuckle-worthy writing in regards to the vast gulf between the two sexes, such as where Carella finds his partner’s wife & their home so female & cloying that he somehow “had the feeling she would suddenly explode into a thousand flying fragments of breast and hip & thigh, splashed over the landscape like a Dali pai ...more
Steve
I wanted to rate this one higher, since it had a real cool retro vibe that didn't bore me. Plain clothes detectives start getting popped in a largely unairconditioned and sweating New York in the late fifties. A mad man or something else? While you're trying to figure that out, McBain dumps considerable portions of standard police procedure on you, which was probably pretty interesting and groundbreaking back in the day, some gritty langue (shit, screw, etc.), and a few chicks needing showers to ...more
Charles Dee Mitchell
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Ed McBain's first novel in the 87th Precinct series is now a 60 year old book. It holds up well, and the period details -- which were not "period details" when they were written -- provide atmospheric touches that help the reader visualize the action. McBain's prose that provides commentary on the setting and story is sub-Chandleresque, but his dialog is pitch-perfect when moving from the precinct house to neighborhood bars to the daily line-up of perps. And his plotting never flags.

McBain, who
Michael
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detective, 2012
Review from Badelynge.
This is the first book in Ed McBain's long running police procedural series 87th Precinct. McBain would continue writing the ongoing series for half a century until 2005, the year of his death.
Someone is killing cops with a 45 calibre handgun. Steve Carella and the rest of the precinct have to find the killer before he kills again. Carella and Teddy are unmarried still and between the exhaustive investigation the pair try to snatch enough time together to decide on a date f
Richard
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: previously-read, own
During my late teens when I first discovered serious reading for myself I found the 87th Precinct novels by Ed McBain. Now in my later years I have a desire to read them all in sequence and have an reflection. Cop Hater was first published in 1956 and therefore the books very much follow my own timeframe in life.
Set in a fictional USA city, but owing a lot to New York City they are gritty police procedurals moving away from the lone PI and focusing on the day to day activities of a police depart
Ed
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robust first title (1956) starts the long-running 87th Precinct cop series. "Cop hater" takes out cops. Uses lots of 1950s CSI forensics. Heat wave hitting Isola (sort of made-up city) jacks up the misery. Terse dialogue.
Bill Lynas
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ed McBain's first (of many!) 87th Precinct novels is a staightforward police procedural story. For a novel written in 1956 there are some moments of surprising violence, but the atmosphere the author creates is always one of believability.
Benoit Lelièvre
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid. Almost great.

A cop novel where all the detectives in the precinct are the protagonists and they keep dying one after the other, shot by someone who seemingly didn't like cops. It seems formulaic when said like that, but it is surprisingly experimental and even a little dismissive of its own mystery (which is something I didn't like. It wrapped up too fast). Intriguing, perhaps revolutionary even. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill detective mystery.
Ms.pegasus
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for antecedents to modern crime fiction
Shelves: mystery, fiction
COP HATER was published in 1956 and is the first in a long running series set in a fictional city resembling New York. At the time, the concept was unique. Rather than focusing on a single detective for his crime series, McBain featured the precinct itself as the main “character.” Through the continuity of the precinct, characters become familiar to the reader, then pass out of sight, or are glimpsed on their way in and out of the station, working on mundane daily cases. In this book, minor char ...more
Cathy DuPont
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one I like
Recommended to Cathy by: No one, gratefully
Ho, hum. Finished with that so can now move on to something worthwhile.

Have been reading the prolific writer Ed McBain (Evan Hunter), and have loved the Matthew Hope series which, in my mind, are cleverly, well written mysteries.

Having about nine or so 87th Precinct books on my shelf, thought it important that I begin the series, so fortunately, spent no money but got this one from the library. I hate to waste money, so giving it two stars, I was happy I didn’t spend my hard earned cash, fifty
Susan
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels and was first published in the US in 1956 (although it wasn't released in the UK until 1958). In the introduction, Ed McBain explains how the series came about and why he decided to base the books on a squadroom of police detectives, as opposed to one particular hero, as well as why he opted for an anonymous city, loosely based on New York. Does it matter that the book is now somewhat dated, that the slang is obviously from another era a ...more
Greg
COUNTDOWN: Mid-20th Century North American Crime
BOOK 163 (of 250)
After the mountainous heavy-on-style hard-boiled/noir crime novels from the 1920s through the 1940s, this police procedural (the first in McBain's 50+ series) was a breath of fresh air and was my first McBain.
HOOK=3 stars. This opens with a description of a big city (sounds like New York) then zooms in on the killing of a cop.
PACE=3: McBain sticks to the basics and delivers a fast read.
PLOT=3: Solid, but if you've read a few crim
Joe Santoro
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see why the author wrote for TV... you can almost hear the theme music as he opines about the city (not quite New York, but clearly similar), or when the detectives of the 87th precinct gather to get briefed. This book was just the right length to be an hour-long episode for sure.

I do disagree with the author's preface when he says he was trying to write about a group to be a composite hero, though at least for this book. Steve Carella is very clearly the main character and the hero (and
Harold
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
my first 87th precinct novel and I enjoyed it. I'll go back to the series now and then (as I'm doing with Perry Mason, Parker, Nathan Heller, etc) and, as Margie suggests, keep it in order. It's simply good, fast reading cop/bad guy stuff.

To those who haven't read it - a spoiler is coming up. To those who HAVE read it I'd love your opinion of what I say next....I have one gripe with the book. I think McBain "jumped the shark" when Carella opens up and blabs to the journalist Savage. Carella eve
Chad Malkamaki
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really, really enjoyed this book up until the ending. The crime didn't make much sense at the end, was rushed, made this only a four star book. I'll keep reading the series, but the whole reason for the crime and who orchestated it blows my mind as, "Oh well I need to blame someone for this crime so here's who did it."
Rachel Bridgeman
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: september
Cop Hater' is spread across the end of July/beginning of August 1954, mid heatwave. Tensions are rife within, and without the 87th Precinct which at that time, numbered 16 detectives under the eye of Lieutant Byrnes. Until there were only 15...

As the police try to work out whodunnit, and why someone is gunning for detectives with a .45, there are glimpses into the personal lives of the to-be-central characters such as Steve Carella and Bert Kling.

''He had been a cop for twelve years now,and he h
Publication order 1 12 Aug 22, 2016 05:12AM
Goodreads Librari...: Description in wrong language 2 14 Oct 02, 2015 07:56PM

• Time to Murder and Create (Matthew Scudder, #2)
  • Black Knight in Red Square (Porfiry Rostnikov, #2)
  • The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1)
  • In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder, #3)
  • Deadly Edge (Parker, #13)
  • The Sour Lemon Score (Parker, #12)
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • True Detective (Nathan Heller, #1)
  • Shoot the Piano Player
  • Plunder Squad (Parker, #15)
  • The Long-Legged Fly (Lew Griffin, #1)
  • The Big Blowdown (D.C. Quartet #1)
  • Riding the Rap
  • The Deep Blue Good-By (Travis McGee, #1)
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • The Listening Walls
  • If It Bleeds
  • Lieberman's Choice (Abe Lieberman, #2)
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926-2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952.

While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct, #2)
  • The Pusher (87th Precinct, #3)
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct, #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct, #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct, #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct, #10)
  • Give the Boys a Great Big Hand (87th Precinct, #11)