Start by marking “The Crook in the Lot: Living with that thorn in your side” as Want to Read:
The Crook in the Lot: Living with that thorn in your side

The Crook in the Lot: Living with that thorn in your side

First published in 1737 this book holds a special place among the tremendous amount of Puritan literature that was produced during that time. Thomas Boston was renowned for his clearly understood English and the manner in which he maintained that clarity while conveying messages of great depth. The Crook in the Lot is introduced to us by J. I. Packer. In an extensive prolo ...more
Published July 9th 2012 by Christian Heritage (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Crook in the Lot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crook in the Lot

Cindy Rollins
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, suffering
It took me a long time to read this book and I am glad that it did. Each time I picked it up it was balm to my soul in some new way. It is not an easy book to read and I cannot imagine rushing through it but I was happy to read it here and there over the last six months especially when walking through some tough times.
Kathleen
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Having read many books on enduring trials & the difficulties of suffering, Crook in the Lot approached this subject from a biblical angle that's rarely preached or understood.
That is ...it's not enough to know that God is with you in your hardships or that He will ultimately bring good of all of them but that He is the source of your trials & sufferings, this makes all the difference.
Grasping this truth will be an anchor for your soul when your little ship is out on the sea tossing &
Josh Miller
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book nearly 300 years old! Although I have read the Bible through many times, the Bible verse upon which the title of this book is based, is a verse that had never stood out to me before. The Scripture reference? Ecclesiastes 7:13 which states, "Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?"

Boston, in this short, yet powerful and Scripture filled book, shows us "what to believe when our lot in life is not health, wealth, and happiness." (subtitle of the
Michael Locklear
Really, this book deserves a rating of 4.5 stars. This book (especially this edition with the introduction by J. I. Packer) is a must read. Written by the Scottish Puritan Thomas Boston and first published in 1737, this book speaks to those who are suffering, coming out of a period of suffering or about to enter into a time of suffering. In other words, this book is for everyone; for we will all suffer in this world.
The title truly describes the book, but allow me to share the author's conclud
Trisha
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply encouraging and convicting.
Sally Ewan
The best part is the main point: God knows what He's doing when He send trials into our lives. The style of the writing is very interesting, because Boston uses a lot of points and sub-points as he presents his case--very methodical. Some might say, "He's repeating himself a lot!", but I needed to be reminded over and over again that He is sovereign; He is wise and loving; suffering is for our gain; hope lies ahead; He will strengthen us in our trials, etc. He quotes a lot of Scripture to suppor ...more
Luke Burgess
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book with portions that are excellent. I think the exposition of 1 Peter 5:6 is a must read.
Mary Beth
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, puritans
Beautifully encouraging yet a much needed admonition. Will definitely be picking this up again.
Josh
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good, especially knowing Boston's personal experience with affliction. The editing choices in this particular edition were a little inconsistent: some subheadings highlighted, others not. Also the chapter divisions were sometimes in the middle of the original sermon. But it was still very readable.
Matt Crawford
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Crook in the Lot is something that everyone goes through. This book is about redirection. Rather than simply complaining about your "lot in life" this short book speaks to looking at the purpose behind it. Realize who it is that the Crook comes from, and what it is there for. See who it is who makes it worse. We know that God opposes the proud but this book is more than a life sucks and God made it so, and is not a self help through rose colored glasses "humble yourself and all will be well. ...more
Pete
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Painful book to read and yet so encouraging knowing God has it in His hands. Here was the quote I will never forget.
"Prosperity puffs up sinners with pride; for it is very hard to keep a low spirit with a high prosperous lot. But God by affliction, calls men down from their heights to sit in the dust, plucks away their gay feathers in which they prided themselves, rubs the paint and varnish from off the creature by which it appears more in its native deformity"
James Ruley
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
In this work, Boston discusses how God uses various “crooks in the lot” (trials) to grow us in Christlikeness. Soul-searching in nature, this book forces a Christian to examine what God is doing through the various trials God has placed in his or her life, and how those trials are teaching us about the perfections of God. Although the prose is a bit dense for many 21st century readers, this work is an excellent take on grappling with suffering and the sovereignty of God.
Lexi Zuo
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet sweet book! I normally avoid Puritan authors because I honestly find their writing too difficult for me to understand, but this work was so encouraging and easy to read. It’s filled to the brim with truth and encouragement for Believers facing trials of any sort. Highly recommend a nice slow read of this book, allowing for lots of prayer and meditation on these truths... truly is medicine for the soul.
Nathan Shaver
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorrowful, burdened, grieving? Take this book and let it do its work. Great help to those under the mighty hand of God.
Jonathan Wylie
This book changed my situational awareness. It has caused me to realize I respond to my circumstances in the wrong way. This book I will return to for quotes often.
Simon
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Very good. I would recommend it to others who are working through the issue. Not as laborious as some puritan works.
M. J.
I've found this book to be a difficult read because of some of the archaic prose and sentence structure. The Scripture passages, when written out, are often not easily recognizable because they are not from modern translations. It is possible that they were the authors own translations. With a slightly improved layout, updated language, and updated Scripture translation the book would be much more accessible.

Title is drawn from Ecclesiastes 7:13

The Crook Itself
Proposition 1: Whatever crook th
Jeff
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suffering, favorites
One of, if not the best book on dealing with affliction that I've read. It's just what I've been looking for. Boston covers it from many angles. If you don't come away more humble and God fearing after reading this book, you might not have understood it or been able to take in what he has to say at this point in your life.

This isn't a modern 'comfort' book or seven steps to overcoming affliction. Some of the older English can be difficult, but I was able to get used to it.

As with most or all Pu
P.J. Mills
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This book is a gold mine of practical wisdom written by a man (Thomas Boston) who practiced what he preached. The Crook in the Lot is a book about what to believe when our lot in life is not health, wealth, and happiness. It is broken up into three sections; 1) "The Sovereignty and Wisdom of God in the Afflictions of Men Displayed, 2) An Exposition of Proverbs 16:19, and 3) An Exposition of 1 Peter 5:6. Given Boston's actual life circumstances (for more on this read The Memoirs of Thomas Boston, ...more
Shannon
Thomas Boston draws truth from the Bible and presents it. When I'm in trials, I look for help. This book holds that help; it's just the presentation makes it a bit difficult to understand and accept at times. I would almost say it's an essay, outline included. So this book does bring comfort because truth applied to a situation will bring the only true comfort and help available. But it's not the kind of book that will take your hand and offer sympathy, the kind where the author cries with you. ...more
John
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight which He has made crooked? "—Eccles. 7:13.

One of the top 10 Christian books ever written

The Crook in the Lot available at Monergism Books
Justin Rose
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of truth and spiritual application, but difficult to read. Virtually every sentence could have been improved if Boston would have had access to Trenga's The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier.
Dad Bowers
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
The preacher gives excellent teaching on the problem of pain and how God uses the ‘crook in the lot’ to bring us to his character and to praise Him. Highly recommended for most believers in spite of the heaviness of the writing. Good for quoting.
Ben
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been the most helpful practical work of divinity that I have read in some time. I needed some help bearing up under my present trials, and Thomas Boston, as an ambassador for Christ, served good medicine for the soul. I recommend this work highly to others!
Pam
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What does God want to do with me during these trials and difficulties and afflictions? Thomas Boston had profound and great insight to that question and shared it with us all in this book. It is a Puritan work and more difficult to understand, but worth the work of the read.
Doug Payne
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
67 pages of brilliance.
Anna
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book.
Jessica
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent treatise on difficulties in Christian life.
Stefanie Sage
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The content is fabulous although the old English vernacular makes it a bit challenging to read. Well worth the extra effort!
Ardine Hockaday
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Beware of old English buy its pretty easy to get over.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Christian Ministry
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • The Glory of Christ
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life
  • Christian in Complete Armour, Volume 1
  • The Creedal Imperative
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Existence and Attributes of God
  • A Place for Weakness: Preparing Yourself for Suffering
  • Prayer
Thomas Boston was a Scottish church leader.

He was born at Duns. His father, John Boston, and his mother, Alison Trotter, were both Covenanters. He was educated at Edinburgh, and licensed in 1697 by the presbytery of Chirnside. In 1699 he became minister of the small parish of Simprin, where there were only 90 examinable persons; previously, he was a schoolmaster in Glencairn. In 1704 he found, whi
“The truth is, the crook in the lot is the great engine of Providence for making men appear in their true colours, discovering both their ill and their good. And if the grace of God is in them, it will bring it out, and cause it to display itself. It so puts the Christian to his shifts, that however it makes him stagger for awhile, yet it will at length evidence both the reality and the strength of grace in him. "You are in heaviness through manifold temptations, that the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perishes, may be found unto praise.” 0 likes
“So do men oftentimes find their greatest cross where they expected their greatest comfort.” 0 likes