Start by marking “Freedom's Dawn (The Frontiers Saga #4)” as Want to Read:
Freedom's Dawn (The Frontiers Saga #4)

Freedom's Dawn

(The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) #4)

Episode 4

A ship under siege…
A world on the brink of civil war…
A distraught people seeking a new beginning…
A battle weary crew that can barely hold it together…

Even a legend can use a little help from time to time.

The crew of the Aurora, the Karuzari, and the Corinairans must find a way to work together or else they may all perish.

“Freedom’s Dawn” is a 94,000 wor
Published July 3rd 2012 by Ryk Brown

To ask other readers questions about Freedom's Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom's Dawn

Start your review of Freedom's Dawn (The Frontiers Saga #4)
Per Gunnar
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I can’t say that I really disliked it but this book in the Frontiers Saga was not really my cup of tea. That’s primarily because, in this installment, the ship doesn’t really move an inch. It sits in orbit around Corinair throughout the entire book and most of the story revolves around guerrilla warfare down on the planet. What I liked about this book series and the previous three books in it was that it was indeed taking place on a space ship and there was some actual spaceship action. Thus hav ...more
Kara
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Freedom’s Dawn” is book four of the 15 book series “The Frontier Saga - Part 1” (yes, there are even more books in “The Frontier Saga - Part 2”!). This series is SciFi - not romance, and certainly not erotica or sex. While there are very strong women characters, they are in supportive roles to the lead male characters.

Like book two, this book takes place primarily on a single planet, in this case: Corinair. There is interesting action and battles involving the two ships (Aurora and
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This one was fairly weak. Starting to get tired of the incompetence of the protagonists and their naivete. The succeed through sheer dumb luck.
Kathleen
3 stars. Good enough, and sometimes great, but I REALLY grow tired of Nathan's indiscretion. He's too open, confiding mission secrets to everyone. And I REALLY expected these clever chaps to put the clues together. Find the leak. But no. I had it figured early in the game.
To quote another: "Freedom's Dawn [occasionally] left me feeling that the crew of the Aurora simply blundered through one action scene after another, only surviving due to luck."

I like the strong women. Abby.
Don Viecelli
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From My Review Number 37:
The second review is on Freedom’s Dawn, from The Frontiers Saga Episode 4. The saga continues on Corinair where Nathan has his hands full trying to understand where he and his crew fit in with the local Legend of Origins. It seems the people on Corinair believe him to be Na-Tan, the deliverer from oppression. Corinair and its people have been decimated by the Ta’Akar attack. Now they must prepare for war against the king, Caius, who rules the star system. Recently
Jean
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This is book four in the Frontier Series. Aurora is damaged and in need of repair and upgrade. The Aurora is in obit above the planet of Corinair. In the prior book Aurora fought off a Ta’Akar warship that was going to destroy the planet. Most of the action in this episode takes place on the planet and only toward the end does action return to Aurora when a commando group attempts to take control of the ship. Brown uses this episode to introduce us to the legend of Na Tan. The people of Corinair ...more
Mark Zodda
Sep 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Horrible. I am torn in how to write this review because I liked the three previous books in the series. Ryk Brown is a better author than I could ever hope to be, but this story was beyond bad. It was hard to read because I knew that something stupid was about to happen on purpose. Slow moving with incomprehensible decisions made by the characters as though they were trying to make as many mistakes as possible and screw up everything possible. It was almost as though the Data Ark had contained o ...more
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great instalment. When I saw from other reviewers that this was based mainly on the planet I was a little wary, but the action was well balanced between the planet and the ship. Yes the ship did not move but that did not matter, and the ship desperately needed more crew. This is the start of that process. Their were some really interesting questions raised at the end of the story, leaving you wanting more.

Peter Kenson
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Much slower pace than the first three books. Basically a pot boiler setting the scene for the rest of the series. Slightly disappointing and the number of typos was an irritation.
JP
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Freedom's Dawn continues the Frontiers Saga as Captain Nathan and the crew of the Aurora find themselves a thousand light years from home, embroiled in a rebellion against the EVIL EMPIRE etc.

One nice thing though is that with each book, we're getting more away from the Star Trek Voyager tropes of a crew far from home and their journey home--where nothing matters. In the case of The Frontiers Saga, actions have consequences and it really does feel that they're changing the world(s) with their actio
Christian Leonard Quale
This installment of The Frontiers Saga felt different to the others, like a bit of a setup for books to come. I didn't dislike it - it was enjoyable enough, but it never made me care much about what was going to happen next. The book also never gave me much of a reason or opportunity to try speculating on what would happen next, as the characters don't really act in a way which seems to be at all plausible.

That said, I didn't dislike the book, but reading it felt like watching someth
Kim Hoag
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Yep, it continues and it's still a good read. The characters have opened up a lot more and there is depth to everything, including the plot. So, it's just getting better. However, you still need to suspend belief at times and that's still okay. In this installment, the captain of the Aurora, whose name is amazingly similar to a legendary savior, steps into that role. The Earthlings seem to now be heading a rebellion. It is cool how it all got to this point. Kudos for Brown in being able to do so ...more
Idigchili
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm not going any further with this series. This book literally never went anywhere. The protagonists' ship is stuck in orbit the entire time while we're supposed to take this one-dimensional evil captain as a serious threat. Yet the beleaguered crew is whittled down relentlessly leaving the reader wonder if ever the 'good guys' will catch even one little break along the way.

This book could be twice as good with half as many pages. I've got other things to read so for now the next installments
Thomas James
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Edge of the seat action and adventure.

Can't Put down a good story a and this is a good one. Lots of retirement. If there is any negative it is that all on the crew of the Aurora seem too naive. They had been shot out of the sky, the enemy abounds, and yet no safeguards in place for being overtaken. Almost no thought given to the possibility. Oh well, one must be flexible with science fiction. :-)
Peter Sidell
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It keeps getting better

I keep wondering if I want to commit to such a long read, but each episode is enough better to leave me ready and waiting for the next. I guess I can be grateful that I started reading after the Frontier saga was complete.
Realism is enhanced by the storyteller's willingness to let major characters die from time to time, and also by the clever way he adds surprising wrinkles to the character's personalities and loyalties.
Will Hudson
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I am officially in love with this series. This soooo needs to be a TV show. Do you hear my SyFy? Capt Scott and crew are doing everything they can to do what is right. Enormous odds are against them, but time and time again they come out by the skin of their teeth. The author has started adding some character back story and that just makes you care more and more about the crew. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, this is a pretty good series but this latest Episode 4 drags in a few paces, and it wasn't until the last 20% or so of the Kindle version that the pace finally picked up and I didn't want to put the book down. The slow parts really could have been condensed into about 1/3 of the original content, and I would prefer the series get back to a real sci fi book vs. a little bit of a mystery.

If you haven't read any of the series, you need to start with book #1!
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Freedom's Dawn

What a great thrill ride, loved the storyline and the action was non stop. I was engrossed from start to finish, There are many heroes and lots of death defying moments. Nathan the young inexperienced captain of the ship Aurora is a great character who you can really relate too. Fab
David
So finally we have some action again. There are gunfights, treachery, boardings, boomers, tunnels, riots, and nuclear tipped missiles. It's actually quite an entertaining book.

While orbiting Corinair intending to make repairs to the ship, the Aurora gets drawn into a battle to save Corinair from destruction. Now they have to save their ship.
Michael Browne
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The reviews are TRUE

As nearly every other reviewer has stated, this is one of the best sci-fi series you'll ever read. I've read the first four books and could not put them down. After just finishing episode four I immediately bought episode five.
David Syzdek
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riveting and fast paced

What a fun ride! This book is excellent hard science fiction, with fleshed out characters, constant action, a fascinating plot all taking place in a believable and fascinating universe.
Hakan Jackson
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is about when I started to realize that I'm hooked to this series. I am now binging these books like a must see netflix original.
James Thompson
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MUST READ SERIES
Ben
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe a little less good than the previous ones - some rather graphic violence, but the story is good and fun to listen to.
Karl
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Getting very repetitious and boring.
Louise Pass
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Space opera!

Read this book, and the whole series. It is totally worth your time. Well written, believable characters facing adversity And growing with the challenge
Michael
When science fiction includes enemies with old-fashioned hierarchical societies (nobility) it's always a bad sign.
A legend of origin, planetary politics, an enemy boarding party that tries to take over the space ship and to no surprise at all is defeated in the end.
This whole episode could be summarised in a few sentences. It feels like a filler and not even a good one.
Plain vanilla, by the numbers and 100% predictable.
Tis episode includes a small cliffhanger with good re
Andrea
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first 3 books of the series, but now things are getting a bit repetitive, border line with tedious. I guess my adventure with the Frontiers Saga ends here!
Shelly Singhal
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent

A worthy sequel to the first three books. Loved the whole Corinari plot, along with the capture of the ship and the civil war. Great series. The plot moves along and the characters are growing into their roles.
Nick Grayson
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it
a very entertaining science fiction book the action mostly follows nathan cross a young guy with good instincts if not always following protocol. It's an easy to understand story, nothing new here just good old fashion ships in space. i've read the first four books in the series and i'll post this review for all of them. I read them in a row cause they are quite smaller then what I'm used too and at first very addictive reading the only detraction came from the fact that the characters couldn't ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Embers of War (Adventures of the Starship Satori, #8)
  • The Silver Ships (Silver Ships, #1)
  • Méridien (Silver Ships, #3)
  • Imperium Defiant (Light of Terra, #3)
  • The Lost Starship (Lost Starship, #1)
  • Alien Assassin (Human Chronicles, #2)
  • Dust & Iron (Adventures of the Starship Satori Book 9)
  • Espero (Silver Ships, #6)
  • TFS Navajo (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #3)
  • Freedom's Fire Box Set: The Complete Military Space Opera Series (Books 1-6)
  • Artifice (Silver Ships, #12)
  • Sojourn (The Silver Ships Book 13)
  • Sol (Silver Ships, #5)
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Legend of Earth (Book 5 of The Human Chronicles Saga)
  • Legends Never Die (Omega Force #10)
  • Allora (Silver Ships, #7)
  • TFS Theseus (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #2)
Born in 1960 and raised on an overdose of television, NASA, and science fiction, Ryk Brown has worked as a cook, rock guitarist, stage lighting technician, and paramedic. He currently resides in Northern California with his wife, daughter, and cat. By day he fixes computers, and by night he creates stories.
Having spent his entire life "thinking stuff up", the advent of digital publishing has

The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Aurora: CV-01 (The Frontiers Saga #1)
  • The Rings of Haven (The Frontiers Saga #2)
  • The Legend of Corinair (The Frontiers Saga #3)
  • Rise of the Corinari (The Frontiers Saga, #5)
  • Head of the Dragon (The Frontiers Saga, #6)
  • The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)
  • Celestia CV-02 (The Frontiers Saga #8)
  • Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)
  • Liberation (The Frontiers Saga, #10)
  • Born of the Ashes (The Frontiers Saga, #11)
“It is easier to live a lie in peace than to die for the truth. As long as life is good, most of them simply do not care.” 3 likes
“Better a sword than an empty hand when you set off to slay the dragon.” 1 likes