Start by marking “Gnome on the Range” as Want to Read:
Gnome on the Range

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Gnome on the Range (The Gnome Series #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  904 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Librarian Note: Alternate/new cover edition for ASIN# B006QQRH3A.

Once you get the zing you can't go back.

Jane West has everything a woman could want. A job in a small Montana town's only adult store, two busy young boys and one dead husband. Everything except a little excitement--a little zing. But that changes one summer morning at a garage sale when her kids buy some ga
Kindle Edition, ACE, 215 pages
Published (first published December 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gnome on the Range, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gnome on the Range

Karla
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good laugh!
Shelves: adult-comedy

ZING!! 4.5 Stars! You did good Jennifer Zane, fantastic debut book! Funny, funny, funny!!!

Do not read this out in public because you will have random outbursts of laughter and lots of splainin’ about why you are laughing so hard. Since this book is about a woman who works in an adult store and the paraphernalia that’s sold there is the basis for most of the comedic moments, well it could be embarrassing, but makes for some of the funniest stuff I’ve ever read.

The story is over the top crazy, b
Carrie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Going into this book I was thinking okay quick read that will be silly.

*Points to cover, glances at title*

And well I was correct. The amount of times I laughed and laughed I can't count, very very humors book. I even snorted, yep that's right I snorted and loudly might I add, because there was so many comical parts. "You got it stuck where?" I got a kick out of all the characters, Goldie especially. Oh and well can not leave out Ty, yummy fire man!!!

What I didn't see coming was the nice little
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover Reviews  ❤️
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️ by: Karla
Fun read! Laugh out loud funny and great characters (especially 60 something adult shop owner Goldie) Thanks so much to Karla for the recommendation and to Kellie for joining me in a Buddy Read.
Lisa Kay
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa Kay by: Karla
Shelves: character-widow
★★★★ FOFLMBO! I didn't get this for free like some of you did, but it was still worth the money. Thanks, Karla for the rec. Really enjoyed this one - and it had a bit of mystery, too! ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Jane West is a widow with two young boys named Bobby and Zach. There is never a dull moment in the West household. The other interesting thing about Jane is that she works at Goldilocks which is adult store owned by her mother in law Goldie. A new neighbor sparks interest in Jane and her boys. The new neighbor is Ty Strickland, a paid fireman and army vet, enjoys meeting Jane in unusual circumstances. Ty thinks Jane is a danger magnet and pushes her away from him. Jane's husband Nate treated her ...more
Penny Watson
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was NOT what I thought it was. For some reason, I thought it was about an insane homicidal gnome. The cover is sort of misleading and looks creepy, and the title is also misleading. So sue me...I thought it was a horror story. Hee hee!

Needless to say, I found this entertaining. Believable? Hell no. But I never care about that. Perfect? No. Amusing? Yes. Entertaining? Yes. I laughed out loud at some of the ridiculous lines. The plot was so ridiculous it was almost cartoonish at times, but I
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the description I just had to pick up this book when it popped up in the kindle daily deals. I skimmed some reviews to see what I was getting myself into and was wondering if it was going to be a non stop sex romp considering the protagonist works in her town's only adult store. That's not the case. This book is an excellent blending of some adventure, some romance, some drama, lots of humor and lots of great characters.

The protagonist, Jane West is a VERY likable character. A widowed s
Sharon Michael
No rating, as the reason this book didn't work for me was very personal ... it may well work for someone who is not familiar with the horse world.

I got this book expecting a rather light, humorous almost 'cozy' type of mystery and being a Montana native, like books set in Montana. While it is more romance than mystery, it may appeal to readers who are not knowledgeable about the equine 'industry'.

The first problem I had with the book is that while it was set in what is for MT a good-sized unive
Kelly_Instalove
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: freebie
Grade: D

This wasn’t painful, but it wasn’t good.

For the next fifteen minutes, we went over fire inspection paperwork with an elephant in the room the shape of a dildo.

A nearly-TSTL heroine, her way-OTT mother-in-law, a completely transparent “suspense” plot, inane and irrelevant details about houses, horses, sex toys, street names, etc., etc.

And…the Evil Villain. Oy. Uff da.

Are you ready for this? Because this is where the gnomes come into play.

Are you SURE? All righty, don’t say I didn’t war
Richard
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is quite a romp. Jane, a young widow, may sometimes keep us a bit too well informed about how hot she is for fireman Ty, but she narrates a good yarn while careening through various odd and dangerous occurrences that begin after her boys buy a pair of garden gnomes at a garage sale... I enjoyed the whole thing, and the ending was pretty satisfying. I was thinking 3 stars through most of it, but the tail end made me happy, so it got an extra...

(If you're skittish about a protagonist who wor
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Oh WOW... This was Free but I totally would of bought it!
HIL-AR-IOUS!
From the get go!

I mean seriously, the opening is...
"I'm not sure which one I want. I didn't realise there were so many choices!"
The woman wasn't on the hunt for a new car or juice boxes at the grocery store.Nope. She wanted a dildo. I called her type a waffler. Someone who contemplated all options before even attempting to make a choice. Because of Miss Waffler, I had ten different dildo models spread out across the cou
Rick Bylina
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember why I picked up "Gnome on the Range" by Jennifer Zane, but I did. It's a quick, simple read. If you have a three hour plane trip, it mixes enough humor, romance, and mystery to keep you from worrying about rabid airline stewards, upset pilots, or drunken passengers. The protagonist, Jane West, is a likable widow working in her mother-in-law's sex shop. Her two kids are kids, mixing things up as they should. However, the plot line gets a bit thin in places. About 53% through the ...more
Kelly
Heh. This one was cute. From Jane and Ty's first meeting -- where she had to explain several different personal pleasure devices to a customer with him within earshot -- to their numerous brushes with danger, I was entertained. Frankly, I thought the two sizzled together. And Ty's obsession with Jane's breasts after an unexpected wardrobe malfunction was hilarious!

Beyond the chemistry between the two, Jane ends up in the worst situations without even trying. Attempted robberies, things blowing u
Tracy
Zane did an excellent job with this debut book. It was hilarious! I loved it and everything about it from the way it was written to the characters being familiar. The writing in Gnome on the Range was superb in that it just flowed from page to page. One of those books that I would say "I will do laundry after this chapter" "I will make you dinner after this page". I could not put it down. The characters are lovable and realistic. I felt like I knew them all and lived just down the street.

Jane a
Pat
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. I had been reading some "heady" novels and needed something fun. This novel totally hit the mark. Here are a few reasons I liked this book....it was hysterical, the main character is a widow (not grieving at all), her husband died in Europe, in anther woman's bed! She works in an adult "toy " store for her Mother-in-law Goldie, in a tiny Montana town. She has two boys, who are perfectly NORMAL!! They are not disrespectful, they love to swim and play outside, and act like most ...more
Suzanne
Very cute! A nice, easy, but interesting and fun read.
Kim
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gnome on the Range was a fabulous read! The title itself was intriguing to me and I had no idea what to expect. How does one combine garden gnomes, an adult store, a single mother, Montana, a dead husband, and a hot fireman and pull them all into a story that makes sense?! Well, Jennifer Zane does it, and she did it well! It was funny, spicy, romantic, and full of mystery and suspense. They combined to make a story that was impossible to put down. One moment it was hot and romantic as sparks fle ...more
Tim
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what I as expecting (or what it was billed as being by Amazon). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book; it had a lot of humor and a good story, but it was really a lot of romance with a little bit of mystery. I was expecting a mystery with a little bit of romance.

That being said, the story overall was good. I think Zane could have cut some of the minute details (i.e. describing every outfit every character wore, every time we saw them in the story), but again, that could just be my ta
Ann
4.5 stars. My only reason for not giving it a 5 star is because I wanted the Ty/Jane HEA to have lasted a bit longer. Hilarious bk, great dialogue, love the authors wit and sarcasm. Jane is a great laid back h with 2 young kids who works at her mother-in-laws adult store (already funny, right!?!). Ty the H is the hottie fireman neighbor just moved to town. They meet and have a bit of a wild and crazy suspenseful adventure while trying to resist their attraction. The opening scene had me LOL. A m ...more
Cynthia D'Alba
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous Opening. Truly funny.

I really enjoyed this book. Loved Jane and Ty (who is mega-sexy!) Everyone should have a Goldie as a mother=in-law!

I'm not sure when or why Gnomes became a hot item, but they were a nice addition to the story.

Sex scenes hot. Loved them

I would recommend this book if you like your books contemporary, funny, and sexy.

I'll be looking for Jennifer Zane's next book!
Toni (U.A.C.)
Setting: Montana, Contemporary Romance/Mystery (M/F)

Widow meets hottie fireman, sparks fly, mayhem ensues. This book starts out cute and stays that way up until the mystery plot twists start...then it just gets stupid. If it was just the drug mystery I think it would've been fine...but mystery vial filled with unknown substance that is instantaniously identified by the hero as cow/horse semen? And building the majority of the story around a vial of horse sperm? Just not working for me.
Jac Zifos
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, this book was so funny! I laughed out loud so many times. Ty was an awesome guy, so great to read his reactions to all the crazy things that happened to poor Jane. Written in first person, which I find unusual for a romance, but being in Jane's head was so entertaining it really didn't matter. Looking forward to reading more of Zane's books.
Bella Street
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this because the blurb cracked me up...and the book did not let me down. I laughed all the way through, and even got to experience a rather poignant romance. And then there's Ty...

Lots of sweet, and some serious spice that had me blushing, but then there's Ty...

...have I mentioned Ty?

*le sigh*
Angie Peoples
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from page one and found it very hard to put down; therefore, I ended up reading the entire book in one sitting. It had me enthralled from page one. Jane is such a spunky young widow and Ty is such a marvelous hunk of a character. This book has a little something for everyone: murder, suspense, mystery, and romance. Great book!
Denise
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: 33
This book is the first of Zane's Gnome series (four books to date), set in Bozeman, Montana, and the first of her books I've read. Very enjoyable, light-hearted reading with fun characters, a romance, and a clever plot. The garden gnomes in the title attracted me to this book in the first place, and it was free for kindle; exactly what I was looking for in terms of a diversion.
Tammie
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Never judge a book by the cover... yes I've always known that! I almost missed out a GREAT book, it just didn't look like a book for me. This book contained mystery, murder, romance, humor, kids, sex toys plus much more! I absolutely loved it!!!
Lizz
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was just laugh out loud funny! It is the authors first book, and was offered free for Kindle via Pixel of Ink. The characters were so much fun, Goldie is THE coolest mother in law ever! And Ty. Well, yes. Ty!!!!
Cj Snyder
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes a little spicy laughter!
I couldn't stop laughing. Right out loud. In the middle of the night. And not just laughing, I'm talking milk-out-of-your-nose funny. Write on, Jennifer! Can't wait to read more by this stunning new author!
Mandi Schalon
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, quick read

Jane is a fun, quirky character in the Gnome series. I found her to be strong willed, perhaps too impulsive, snarky and willing to be without a man but not overlooking or running away from a good man. This was a quick read, full of entertainment. The mystery portion of the story line was average and predictable. I got more from the interaction with Ty, the hottie, and the other characters in the book than I did from the underlying mystery and evildoer you can spot a mile
R Hammann
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book provides a number of different storylines, between the owner of the horse ranch and the main character, the firefighter and the main character and all of the other players. The flow was very good and kept you guessing as to what would happen next, and it usually was not what you thought was going to happen. Then you add in a mother-in-law who owns a sex shop and.....
I enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one.
  • Move Me (Hidden, #4)
  • Risk Is A Four-Letter Word (Four-Letter Word #1)
  • Neighbors and More (High Rise #1)
  • The Bro-Magnet (Nice Guy, #1)
  • Meg's Moment
  • Taming Angelina (The Temptation Saga, #4)
  • Love Revealed (The Market #1)
  • Montana Morning (Kilbourne Clan)
  • Dark Powers (Decorah Securities #4)
  • Tied and True (Satyr's Mist, #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets (Marisela Morales/Dirty #1)
  • The Perfect Score
  • The Huntress
  • Hot Flash
  • Amazon Lily
  • His Devious Angel (Angels with Attitude, #2)
  • Alice in Wonderland
Jennifer Zane has lived all over the country--from Georgia to Maryland, New York to Colorado, including an exciting five years in Montana. Her time in Big Sky country was the basis for this book. When she's not writing, she savors the insanity of raising two boys, is figuring out how many meals she can make with a pressure cooker, and teaches a pretty mean karate class. She currently lives with he ...more
More about Jennifer Zane...

The Gnome Series (4 books)
  • Gnomeless
  • Gnome, Alaska
  • Home Sweet Gnome (Gnome Novel Book 5)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
  • Dancing in the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00