Start by marking “Rip It Up” as Want to Read:
Rip It Up

Rip It Up

Rip up this book and unleash your hidden potential

Most self-help books encourage you to think differently; to think yourself thin, imagine a richer self or to visualize the perfect you. This is difficult, time consuming and often doesn’t work.

Drawing on a dazzling array of scientific evidence, psychologist Richard Wiseman presents a radical new insight that turns

Published July 5th 2012 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Rip It Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rip It Up

Start your review of Rip It Up
Richard
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. In a nutshell, it describes how our actions changes our emotions (not the other way around), and how this can be used to improve our lives. Using actions to change emotions is far easier to do than the converse - trying to change our emotions so that we then act differently.

I like how the author uses research to back up the key points. Many of the ideas presented are also applicable to daily life, so can be used by the reader without difficulty. Throughout
Rinn
For the giveaway, please click here.

I was sent this book, plus a copy to give away to one reader, by the publisher (Pan MacMillan) in exchange for an honest review.

I don't know a thing about psychology. Or rather, I didn't before reading this book. Richard Wiseman sets out to write a new type of self-help book, and although I have never read any before so have nothing to compare it against, I really did enjoy this one.

The basic premise is that you read through each chapter, which sets up each
Sarah Clement
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
There is a lot of useful information scattered through this book, along with a fair bit I will probably never use. It's not groundbreaking information if you are familiar with psychology, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth reading again and considering how you could actually apply it in your own life. Ripping pages out of the book didn't bother me much, but if you're someone who thinks books are meant to be clean and pristine, than you may struggle with the exercises. I am sure you could just ...more
Richard Wright
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Wiseman continues his work exploring how individuals can apply established Psychological theory in their lives. If you've read 59 Seconds, then this book expands on and refines some of the thinking explored in that book. Much of the theory here derives from or is related to the work of psychologist William James, who proposed theories entirely opposite to those of his peer Freud. Where Freud speculated about an inner landscape of subconscious, full of drives you don't understand that effect your ...more
Anton
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finnish, non-fiction
meh. some good points and tips and call me skeptic but quite some of it felt like reaching
Graffda
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Although I believe this book should have been given different name it was full of interesting information and ideas, small exercises that could come in handy. It might or might not help you depending on who you are or how seriously you take it, but in my opinion it is definitely worth reading for everyone
Kursad Albayraktaroglu
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I had previously read "59 Seconds" by Wiseman and thoroughly enjoyed the concise, immediately practical findings of modern psychology presented in the author's unique style. I had high expectations for "Rip it Up", and for the most part I was not disappointed.

Most of the book is dedicated to the results of various experiments related to what Wiseman calls the "act as if" principle he outlined in his other books. As I mentioned, most of the advice in the book is immediately usable in daily life
NormaCenva
Feb 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: better not,
Reading this book left me quite upset and angry (don't worry just for couple of seconds only). As a "helping" professional, in my field I work directly with people who have all sorts of difficulties in their lives, and I learned from experience both personal and relational, that there are NEVER any cut out, ready solution for a problem, even if it may seen so in the beginning.
This book is just another one of the sorts that tries to masks CBT approach. It tries to portray the proposed solutions
Gemma
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun and interesting read. If you have read 59 seconds or Quirkology then some of the studies will be familiar to you. I enjoy the way that these books give straightforward realistic tips for making a change to your life. Some I do not remember all of the time but I like to refer back now and again for a quick happiness or self-esteem boost. It is amazing how easy it is to change how you feel by changing what you do first.
funkgoddess
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
"fake it till you make it" - that's the central premise of this enjoyable, relaxed and possibly life changing book. taking the work of william james as the start, prof wiseman describes the extensive and sometimes fun research on how emotions follow behaviour (and not the other way round). This approach resonated with me, so far as I've been off the fags for 3 days now with, so far, no problems. a practical, positive-action 'self-help' guide.
Joe Wright
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like his previous book. This one continues the author's quest to review self-help advice by looking at studies that prove or disprove them to come up with practical advice.

Central to the book is the idea of the 'As if" principle. That behaviour affects emotions as well as the other way around.

A fun read.
Taylan Demirkaya
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very oractical hapiness guide. Just read and do as it says. I like to read Richard's academic but cuddling way of writing :)
Alex
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had been trying to get my hands on a copy of this book for years and I finally got to read it. I must say that is is by far one of my favorites this year.
The book deals with a not so new psychological and behavioral theory or "method", if one could call it that way, that proposes a reversal of the "mind over matter" axiom. It states that sometimes the "mind" just reacts to the "matter" (being your body, surroundings, etc), if you act in a certain way, you will evoke a certain mood, the "body"
Ranjeeth Varma
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The most important and the only take away from this book is the 'as-if principle'. behaviour influences emotions, actions influence behaviour, etc. You smile and you feel happy and not the other way around. this single point is highlighted in the entire book using different studies and experiments. It radically changes your thought process. but other than this, there's nothing in this book. hence 3*
Jehona
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, science
It is fun and full of interesting information, but I hate that it pretends to be one of those wacky books that promise to fix all your problems. I know it is a marketing strategy (people aren't as interested in popular science books about psychology as they are in being happier), but it's annoying to me.
Darryl
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Empiracle evidence to describe what works and what doesn't work in the realm of self help. Good portion of book is a rehash of 59 seconds (previous book by RW). The other 50% is new material which is great. Highly recommend.
Nikolay Yordanov
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jinzhu
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Will definitely be trying out some of the things I've learned from this book. I did notice that I do exhibit some things he has mentioned here.
Muhammad Atif
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book I must say and it has changed my performance and my life has never been better than ever!
Flyingbroom
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward, containing practical and easy techniques to achieve change quickly.
Vijayakumar Belur
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Practical, adaptable techniques backed by research and experiments. Well written different from other self development books
Andyfff
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this has a different perspective on how to make personal changes.
Peter Curtiss
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
To some degree it feels hard for me to evaluate this book, as it seems to be a rehash of his previous book, The As If Principle. That said, I think some of the information here is pretty important. Wiseman leans heavily on William James theory of of emotion - that our emotions precede our evaluations, and not the other way around (a notion that is supported by contemporary evidence). The implication is that, if we want to be happy, we should behave "as-if" we're happy, and the mind will follow ...more
Derrick Trimble
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I like Richard Wiseman's thought processes. Every book I've read of his is provocative and entertaining. When I read the subtitle of 'Rip it up' I was certain he had his sights set on the name-it-and-claim-it, The Secret, and Power of Attraction crowd. Salivating for some good ammo to add to my arsenal of BS fumigation, I was ready for the cutting to begin.

Instead, we kind of whimpered into a watered down version of positive affirmations and social conditions. I'm not complaining. The anecdotes
Igpond.comdes Stephens
Wiseman is Britain's only Professor for the Public Understanding of Psychology. He has summarised an enormous amount of psychological research to prove that positive action is more helpful than positive thinking. This is a chicken and egg argument. Both are important.
The book has no index but buried in an excessive amount of research data we learn that
*if we mix with happy people we will be happy
*we are more likely to fall in love if we hold hands, play footie or have common enjoyable
Sean Goh
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
An entire book dedicated to the As If Principle, which states that you should behave as if you're feeling what you desire to feel like. In other words, feelings follow behaviour.
With Wiseman's trademark humour thrown in.

Behaviourial activation is far more effective than either drugs or cognitive therapy.
Extrinsic motivation stops the moment the rewards stop.

'Internals' are more likely to listen to their body's signals, while 'externals' are more likely to be affected by their environment. So
Stephanie Cage
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
While the main point of the book could have been made in far less space, the author's engaging style made his exploration of the history of psychology an entertaining one. I'm not sure I agree with the subtitle, though - since the book predominantly explains (and experimentally justifies) the ramifications of William James' theory that behaviour drives emotion rather than the other way around, this is hardly 'the radically new approach to changing your life'. Fortunately a radically new approach ...more
Daniel Gu
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The book was translated into Chinese and marketed with a new name "Positive Energy", which clearly was a stretch of the book.

I would say it has some good points - for example, I did find I felt more confident and relaxed on the stage giving a presentation when I became aware of my posture and voice and tried to adjust them to appear more "positive".

But these are only tricks. The book goes too far by trying to make you believe such things can do magic. "Your heartbeat gets faster then your mind
Stanley
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
The book's subject matter was intriguing from the start. The unconventional premise that your behaviour impacts how you feel and think was explored in depth with an abundance of scientific studies and well constructed arguments. What made this a fantastic book was that theory was accompanied with practice in the form of a variety of simple techniques which help you explore your psyche and make changes in your life.

If you want to change your life and are tired of commonly touted advice such as:
Douglas
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on from 59 Seconds Rip it Up is a self help book with a difference. Rather than relying on the anecdotal nonsense that is trotted out in many such books it is based on proven techniques to make lasting changes in your life. Some of the ideas are surprising and the stories behind the studies are fascinating. I have already found some of the suggestions helpful in making changes.

I would recommend 59 seconds for anyone looking for quick fixes they can make to accomplish small changes in

• DAS IST ALPHA!: Die 10 Boss-Gebote
  • Visualisierung: Visualisierung mit der Kraft der Gedanken – wie du die Macht der Affirmation und das Gesetz der Anziehung nutzen kannst, um dein Leben ... (Inkl. 3-Wochen-Quickstart)
  • Wie Sie mit jedem ins Gespräch kommen und neue Freunde gewinnen: Kleine Tricks für großen Erfolg in Beziehungen
  • Why not? Inspirationen für ein Leben ohne Wenn und Aber
  • Wer bin ich – und wenn ja, wie viele?
  • I Hope I Screw This Up: How Falling In Love with Your Fears Can Change the World
  • The Upward Spiral: Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time
  • Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A Neuroscientist Examines his Former Life on Drugs
  • Hell Is Round the Corner: The Unique No-Holds Barred Autobiography
  • Making Music. 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers
  • Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals (Phaedrus, #2)
  • Messages from Water, Vol. 1
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The Why Cafe
  • The Man Who Would Be King
  • The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober
  • Mindshift: Mach dich fit für die Arbeitswelt von morgen
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
Professor Richard Wiseman started his working life as a professional magician, and was one of the youngest members of The Magic Circle. He then obtained a degree in psychology from University College London and a doctorate from the University of Edinburgh.

Richard currently holds Britain’s only Professorship in