Jump to ratings and reviews

The Breakthrough To Shodan

Originally serialized in the magazine Igo Shinjo in Japanese under the title Shodan Kakutoku Saitan Kosu.

160 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1976

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for Manny.
Author 28 books13.4k followers
March 28, 2019
I recently discovered that "to become" in Persian is شدن, pronounced "shodan". So if Miyamoto's book is translated into Persian, will the title be "شدن شدن"?

Profile Image for Liedzeit Liedzeit.
Author 1 book65 followers
September 8, 2018
My favorite Go book. It makes a promise and it keeps it. I have read it many times. First to approach shodan, then to reach it. Then to solidify the rank. Any 2 kyu reading this book will become a shodan. If you are weaker then wait. Read other books first.
Profile Image for JethOrensin.
109 reviews7 followers
May 28, 2018
Even after many years I think that it still delivers on what it is promising, even though some ideas inside it seem to have moved to the jyu level. A real eye-opener in most of its pages though, but be aware that it is not a book that will make you manage that breakthrough JUST by reading it. You will need to get out your stones and board and STUDY! Play out each and every diagram, feel the flow of the stones on the board, actually THINK each move as you place it on the board, even the ones the author considers trivial.

Solid ideas, great insight and a multitude of things to think about and improve.

The first study-through made me stronger than my 4-6kyu and now I am giving a run for their money to 1-2dan players in DGS. I have yet to win against them yet (mostly due to my horrible life and death problem skills - which is not the point of this book at all), but I have yet to resign in 50 moves, like I was forced to do before.

I plan on studying it many times more in the future. A masterpiece for teaching Go to us amateurs and a handbook that can actually get you to 1 dan eventually, by seriously studying it. What more can we ask .?.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.