Start by marking “Broken Angels” as Want to Read:
Broken Angels

Broken Angels

(Eve of Light #1)

A speculative thriller woven with cosmic Lovecraftian weirdness, Broken Angels is the first book in a Metaphysical Fantasy series entitled Eve of Light. Metaphysical Fantasy is a subgenre that combines action & adventure with philosophy or theology (a popular example would be Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, specifically The Amber Spyglass).

Intended for readers ag
Published June 14th 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Broken Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Angels

M
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I’d like to begin by thanking Goodreads and their First Reads program for giving me a free copy of Broken Angels to read and review.

I’ve been struggling, for a few days now, to finish this book; not because the subject matter is boring, but because the manner in which it was written and presented is disappointing. I don’t know if Goodreads frowns on people giving poor reviews to their giveaways, and I’ve debated giving Broken Angels a higher rating, but I just can’t bring myself to lie. (I feel
Literate Reader
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really 4.3 stars instead of 5; I'm just rounding up.

I won't recap the plot since the book's (long) description does that pretty well, but overall this was a fun read, if a bit slow in spots. Definitely not perfect, and even though there’s plenty of action (maybe one or two fight scenes too many for my tastes), this isn’t a book for readers looking mostly for fast-paced action. It's probably best described as cerebral and surreal urban fantasy. And the cerebral/philosophical stuff takes center st
Frances
Oct 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
This review was originally posted at: http://francesandlynne.wordpress.com/...

”I’m not your lover,” Darryl said as the woman’s eyes slowly rose from his chest to meet his. His irises faded from their usual shade of violet and gradually brightened approaching the color of wisteria. “I’m more like an angel”.
His corneas twinkled, and the air around his body filled with suspended particles, looking like not-quite-clear raindrops, each of them smaller than a thumbtack.
The drops multiplied. After an u
Ian Wood
This is the (almost) complete review as found on my blog.

This is another ebook published via Amazon's Create Space, which is how my own stuff gets published, so I'll try to be nice! But I have to ask: do you have any idea how many books are out there with Broken Angel(s) as (or in) the title?!! I swear I'm going to write one called Fixed Angel. It's an angel who's trapped, see, like one of those weeping angels in Doctor Who, and it's gorgeous with a cleft chin and unruly hair falling into its mu
Jessica Mcbee
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this tale very much. It took me a bit to get into the world, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. The characters are complicated and the end of the book leaves you wanting the next one. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Ruthsic
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Still grieving years after the butchery of his pregnant mother and kidnapping of his premature brother, Robert Goldner was just seventeen when he contracted the White Fire Virus. He prayed for the excruciating death most victims experience shortly after acquiring the STD. Instead he was cursed to live on, slowly dying, ridden with billions of parasites, and possessing a bizarre but limited ability to manipulate photons, the basic units of light.

At age twenty, Robert still considers himself damne
Sam
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from Broken Angels, and I was pleased to find this was a fairly gripping thriller/urban fantasy with some incredible descriptive writing. The characters were well drawn, and it was an extremely good read. Set in a some time not too far in the future Washington DC, the story revolves mostly around Robert and Darryl, two young men working for an institution who look for missing children. Both characters are afflicted with the White Fire virus, a parasitic infecti ...more
Wayne McCoy
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
'Broken Angels' by Harambee K. Grey-Sun is part of a series called Eve of Light. While it started with an interesting premise, it lost me in some loopy things that were introduced.

A dystopian future where a virus called White Fire has broken out. Those infected either die or are given limited powers based on it. Robert Goldner is partnered with Darryl Ridley and they look for the missing. In this case, a young girl. They use their strange powers to infiltrate a house and make a rescue, but it ha
Beezlebug (Rob)
Full disclosure I received an electronic copy of this book to review from NetGalley.

My initial thought on the first couple of chapters of Broken Angels was, “Hey this is a surprise. A book from an author and publisher I’ve never heard from that isn’t all that bad.” A world-wide viral outbreak that either kills the victim outright or gives them “powers” for a short period of time before killing them. Terrorists bent on using their powers for evil. A government/big corporation that uses the affli
Jenny Lynn
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of potential but I think it got a little bogged down by some of the philosophical/metaphysical elements of the story. I liked the detective aspect of the story with Robert but all of the XynKroma stuff just got super confusing/complicated to the point where I just want to skip forward to the real world stuff. I applaud the author for going out on a limb and writing some truly weird fiction, but sometimes it just got too weird to even try and picture what was going on.
Also, t
Read Ng
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a goodreads free giveaway. I really appreciate the author signing my copy to me. I only wish I had a better opinion of the work.

Slow to start. Makes it harder to keep my attention. It will not make the best sellers list. I like the concept of this virus that has made these being (or angels as they refer themselves to be) that walk amoung. But, there was too much of an attempt to weave a background to set up the whole premise of the white fire virus that it bogged down the whole pace of
Henry Lazarus
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Harambee K. Grey-Sun tells of a future where the few survivors of the White Fire Virus. gain the ability to manipulate E-M radiatio by turning themselves invisible and shooting bright light and infrared radiation. . Robert Goldner and Darryl Ridley are such Broken Angels who work for the Isaac-Abraham institution that works with the authorities hunting for missing angels. Then they come afoul of a small group of angels who wish to disrupt civilization and create a better one. There’s a psychic w ...more
Bao包子
I got an eARC from Netgalley and finally only finished reading this today.

I have tried three times to read and finish this book. I managed it on the third & it was as confusing as my first read.

I like the idea (sort of) of XynKroma and Reality but it was an extremely confusing book with huge gaps in information. Usually I'm not fussed about tiny gaps because readers can actually make the leap and grasp the idea a few pages later but not with Broken Angels... I remain confused and unable to c
Shen Hart
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This is an interesting book with a great concept behind it. The main characters are well enough developed but I'd like to have seen a bit more. The plot itself however felt a bit stretched, given it's clearly a series and this made the pace a little slow for my tastes. The ideas within it are very solid, interesting and different. However, I'd have liked to have seen this condensed into a longer standalone book with a quicker pace. It's still a good read which I would recommend and certainly wel ...more
Julie
Aug 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this e-book from the publishers with the intention of giving an honest review.

What to say? I tried, several times, to read this book but I couldn't finish it. It was too convoluted and mixed up. I kept losing track of which characters were doing what and where they were. I kept having to back-track over and over again trying to understand what was going on.

I eventually gave up reading it as it kept giving me a headache. I will not be on the lookout for the next book.
Susan
Nov 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Susan by: NetGalley
Shelves: science-fiction
I really did not care for this book at all. Not particularly well written, and I found the story a bit preposterous. None of the characters were any one that I cared about at all. I hoped that as I got into the the story it would get more interesting, but I found it less interesting as it progressed. If I hadn't agreed to read and then give my honest opinion afterwards I would not have finished it.
Jeremy
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway, and I thank the author for being generous with the gift and for signing the book.

This book could have been much better had there been a different ending. It almost seems like the author got tired of writing the book and didn't put much thought into the conclusion. It ends too abruptly without any satisfying end to any of the plot lines. With a revised conclusion, this could have been a 4-4.5 star book. As it stands, it's barely pushing 3.
Amber
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-wins
I received this book for free from the goodreads firstreads giveaway. This was a pretty interesting book, though not something that I would normally read. I would have liked to learn more about what happened to the main characters family, and other experiences in Xyn. My favorite thing about this book was the way the author described colors in the environment of the story, very cool. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in theology and philosophy.
Judith
Nov 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book and persevered with it to the end as I felt I owed it to the publisher to give it a fair chance. However I found it very convoluted (especially the bits in XynKroma) and really difficult to raise any enthusiasm for. I had to push myself to keep reading when I felt no sympathy for any of the characters and huge chunks of it were, frankly, flights of fancy which made no sense whatsoever. Sadly, I will not be reading any more of the forthcoming series.
zxvasdf
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Broken Angels clears up a lot of the questions I had in Bloodlight, but also introduces even more confusion. While Grey-Sun has big ideas, his delivery could be a little more refined. I enjoyed the parts outside the XynDroma, and could appreciate the fact that Robert was an even bigger hard-on than he was, presumably in adaptation to bigger troubles.

Again,as in Bloodlight, my interest disintegrated as I neared the conclusion despite bigger things brewing on the horizon.
Gal5883
May 01, 2013 added it
Shelves: net-galley
I really liked this book. I'm not a scifi reader usually, but I don't know what it was about this sorry I just found it very interesting. The basic concept of a virus that some think is actually a blessing, and some don't believe actually exists had me thinking.
Dana
Aug 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on-it
I received this book free to review from Netgalley. It sounded interesting. I have tried to read it several times, but just cannot get into it. From the parts I have read, it is rather violent and confusing.
sj
This book was so bad

Review Haiku for Those with Short Attention Spans
Patricia Ann
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I became bogged down with the
book's philosophical/metaphysical
elements. It took me awhile to
read the book.
Shannon
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is another one that I have given several tries. The concept keeps me trying but I never get very far. I will keep it on the shelf and maybe someday in the future I will give it another try.
Minkeun Oh
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book reads like a cross between Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass, X-Men, and Hardy Boys Casefiles, but for older audiences and written by someone with a poetic bent.
Ilse
Aug 27, 2016
Tanya
Nov 21, 2013

• The Huaca
  • Shadow Embraced (Haven, #1)
  • Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)
  • Angel on the Ropes
  • An Infidel in Paradise
  • The Sixth
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • Bohemians
  • Girls & Monsters
  • Donny and Ursula Save the World
  • Shakespeare vs. Lovecraft: A Horror Comedy Mash-Up featuring Shakespeare's Characters and Lovecraft's Creatures
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): The Omnibus Edition (Dark Child, #1)
  • 4 to 16 Characters
  • Data Runner (Data Runner #1)
  • Dark Tidings (Ancient magic meets the Internet #1)
  • The Malice Box
  • Tamed
  • Colour Wielders (Colour Wielders, #1)

Eve of Light (2 books)
  • Divinities, Entangled (Eve of Light, #2)