Start by marking “The Unexpected Man” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Man

The Unexpected Man

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A train compartment. A man and a woman. In a series of dazzling internal monologues, the man, a novelist, muses on his latest work, and considers life and the futility of writing. The woman thinks of her life in the full knowledge that the man she is facing is the novelist she admires and whose latest work she has tucked in her handbag.
Published October 1st 2001 by Dramatist's Play Service (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Man

Chris
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little play about two people on a train. Includes interior monologues. Quite funny, though I thought Art was funnier.
Azraa
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اولین نمایشنامه ای بود که از یاسمینا رضا خوندم و عجب چیزی بود.
به خصوص داستان اولش
جریان سه تا رفیق قدیمیه و مکالمات اونها.
بسیار ریز و دقیق و به جا بود.
به گروه های دوستی پیشنهادش میدم.
Edgar Trevizo
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my! What a splendid piece of literature! And that ending! I've been in love with Yazmina since I've watched "Carnage", by Roman Polanski. "Art" was just ok, I guess, but this one, this one, Yazmina...! You got me again. I'm yours!
Eliška
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fj, university
Pro člověka, který zrovna sám tvoří a jehož život se nyní hodně točí kolem umění - naprostý ideál. Reza je ale skvělá spisovatelka, bude se líbit i těm, co do umění tolik nepronikají.
M. Sarki
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure about this one until near the end when I decided I liked it very much. I believe a subsequent reading of ti would most likely result in an added star. But who knows? Not sure I will have the time for that. So much reading and so little time. But Reza certainly is a charm.
Grace Turner
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a little in love with this piece. A peek into the minds of two fantastic characters with so much to say (who prefer to leave everything unsaid), and an ending that left me grinning with satisfaction.
Linnea
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two people on a train with their thoughts, no stage directions. This could be boring, but Reza has a sharp pen and good insights into the human mind. Good play, good play.
Mary Anne
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected pleasure in listening to the inner dialogue of two people, who know not each other, on a train, one an author and one a reader who loves that author's works.
The move from insecure inner dialogue to tentative external dialogue that becomes delightfully honest allowing for a possible relationship between the two former strangers.
Natira
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ein wunderbares Stück über zwei Menschen, die sich in einem Zugabteil gegenübersitzen. Es geht nicht nur darum, ob und ggf. wie fremde Menschen in Kontakt treten. Beide reflektieren über ihre aktuelle Situation im Leben, über ihr soziales Umfeld. Und dazu geht es auch um das Schreiben und das Lesen von Büchern, was man in den Text bringt und was was daraus entnimmt.

Und David Suchet und Harriet Walter sind großartig. Ich kann mir vorstellen, dass dieses Stück als reine Eigen-Lektüre nicht so kra
Lizzie
I loved this soooooo much once.

I'm afraid it might actually be really stupid.

It's essentially a set of monologues, back and forth, which is a thing I sort of dig. Perhaps, though, I dug it more as a writing exercise than I would on a stage. (I immediately started writing a rip-off, when I read it in high school. I found it really inspiring.) I'd go to see it, sometime, and maybe, on the right Sunday afternoon, I'd read it again.
Corinne Wahlberg
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
I love the idea behind this. Easy to produce, easy to stage, two wonderful actors in two chairs would be all you'd need. and perhaps a yellow suit. It's strange how readers idolize writers and how writers get so easily disenchanted with their work - so self degrading. A long time recommendation finally taken.
Emily
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This could be interpreted as a trite concept but I found it incredibly moving. The nearness of strangers and the serendipity of interactions play to form this piece of successive and related monologues.
Selah Pike
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This play is very short - like a dramatized short story. It's an interesting character study of an author and a longtime fan. Beautifully read by the ah-mazing David Suchet and Harriet Walter.
Eliana
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny, this will always make me think of you. I love this play!
Baahaarmast
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It Was Amazing : )

"دلم میخواد یه روز برام توضیح بدند که چرا ناغافل غصه به آدم حملهور میشه، اون هم درست وقتی که همهچی روبهراه ئه."
Gretchen
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this 6 stars I would. Currently my favorite play (as read anyway) ever!
itskarrs
Jun 19, 2017
Brian
rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2016
Mar 01, 2007
Neil Kirby
Jan 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Yasmina Reza began work as an actress, appearing in several new plays as well as in plays by Molière and Marivaux. In 1987 she wrote Conversations after a Burial, which won the Molière Award for Best Author. Following this, she translated Kafka's Metamorphosis for Roman Polanski and was nominated for a Molière Award for Best Translation. Her second play, Winter Crossing, won the 1990 Molière for B ...more
More about Yasmina Reza