Start by marking “A Lady By Any Other Name” as Want to Read:
A Lady By Any Other Name

A Lady By Any Other Name

A Woman in Hiding Nicole Farrington's life had never been easy, but it had always been bearable. At least it had been until now. Faced with a horrible marriage her step-brother has contracted for her, she will do anything to get away. She'll run...run to anyone who might be able to help her. But running blindly down an unknown path may take her to an unexpected destination ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by CreateSpace (first published July 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady By Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady By Any Other Name

Start your review of A Lady By Any Other Name
HR-ML
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
CAUTION: may induce sleep in readers.

MCs Nicole and Julian lived in 1814. Nicole ran
away from her half brother (called step-brother
later on) Roland because of his plan to marry
her off to a drunken lecher who'd then discharge
Roland's gambling debt.

The first half of the story felt more interesting than
the second half. Nicole lied to the H and his family,
to keep her safe from Roland. A valid rationale? Nic
engaged in entirely TOO frequent negative self-talk,
adversely affecting the pace of the
Kathy
I liked this one. I thought it was a fun regency with likable characters. I liked Nicole, she’s had it pretty rough, but she’s still a nice person. I liked that even though she had hard times she rose about them. When her stepbrother plans to marry her off to an older man, she decides to run away and try and solve a family mystery. I liked our hero Julian, he was at times a bit rough around the edges, but was a softy (in a good way). I thought Nicole and Julian were good together; they brought o ...more
Roseanne Wilkins
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clean-romance
Jennifer Kitchens' debut novel is a delight. I was hooked from the first and couldn't put the book down. There were lots of twists and turns that kept me turning pages. It's a clean regency romance that I would be happy to hand over to my daughters. Well done.
Kathryn Cooper
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on Clean Adult Fiction

This book was wonderful! The romance was so beautiful and comfortable making the read so enjoyable. Nicole was 18 years old and running from a terrible marriage her step-brother arranged for her to pay his debts. I loved her strength and ability to try and choose her life's path.

Julian, 25, was the man she goes to for help. He recently inherited a title and property because of the death of his older brother who had a young child. Julian had to learn his new respo
Paula Bothwell
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
The author, Jennifer Kitchens, writes a clean romance novels blog (cleanromancereviews.com), and this is her first published novel. I would think someone who read romance novels for a living would not be able to be so original, but Ms. Kitchens pulled it off. Many times I thought, "I did not see that coming!" Fast and really good read. Strong heroine, which I always like.
Bella Street
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Lady By Any Other Name is a regency romance with many twists and turns and a sweet love story. Poor Nicole is put in one bad situation after another through no fault of her own. It takes true love to extricate her from the web others had woven. A great addition for fans of the genre!
Joyce
Nichole is a spirited heroine, but the secrets she is forced to keep may cost her the man she loves. A lovely, clean Regency romance from a talented new author. I look forward to reading more from Jennifer Kitchens!
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

The premise of this story showed a lot of promise - a woman on the run from her wicked family, a strong man willing to help and protect her.

Read full review in the 2012 September issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Sue
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this romp thru England with the poor, unwanted heiress and the men who love her/hate her/want to protect her. No surprises in the plot, but is still a good read for the romantic.
Patricia
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a clean, interesting, Regency romance and one of the most well-written books I have read lately! I loved this story and the characters. I highly recommend this and look forward to more great books from Jennifer Kitchens.
Kirsty Bicknell
Dear Mrs Kitchens

I have just finished reading the copy of 'A Lady By Any Other Name' which you so kindly sent to me and I would like to ask when Julian Foxley will be on sale? . . .Yes, I am being serious, I would like to buy him, however much his family objects!
I have swooned over him throughout the pages of your enchanting and engaging romance story, so much so that I now cannot believe he is a figment of your imagination and therefore I want him as my own!
I have considered the way in which he
Sage Adderley-Knox
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
After the passing of her mother, Nicole Farrington’s life takes a turn for the worst. Her demeaning stepbrother decides to pay off a gambling debt by selling her off to be married to a man old enough to be her grandfather. Refusing to be bartered, she slips out into the countryside to escape. Her plan is to locate the family of her father she’s never met and seek shelter with them. On her journey, she uncovers family secrets, and ends up in London with the Earl of Foxley, Julian Huntington, his ...more
Franky
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book within a few days of receiving it. The plot sucked me right in from the start and I couldn't stop. It's a sweet, meaningful regency romance with mystery and intrigue. The heroine flees a dreadful home life and finds family she never knew about. Then she must go into hiding from the home she left and invents a fake identity for herself. I am only giving it four stars instead of five because there are a few grammatical errors and the heroine of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night was ...more
Charissa
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, mystery
Very sweet regency romance. It reminded me a lot of Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. I loved the characters--Julian and Nicole. There were many tense, anxious moments on my couch as I cheered for Nicole (hiding under the alias of Anna Peachley) and hoped she would break the bands of her past so she could find a future in love. Well done romance. I loved it! And now I must go catch up on laundry.
Bethany Swafford
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I thought this a very interesting book. The plot was very well thought out, with an unexpected twist at the end. The characters were all nicely developed, at least in my opinion.
My only issue was with editing. There were some missing words. Also, in my kindle edition, the number 200 appeared at the end of every chapter, sometimes taking up an entire page.
I will definitely read more from this author though.
Amanda
Sweet story! I always love a hero who doesn't get mean when he finds out "the truth" about the heroine, whether it's a misunderstanding or the actual truth. Julian was angry and hurt, but not mean, and is thus worthy of the title of hero. Nicole was sweet and innocent, but not afraid to stand up for herself when it really counted.

Also, it's a clean romance!
Cheryl Mclaws
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was a good story premise. There were some grammatical issues that were distracting to me throughout and I felt like it needed to be longer. Character and plot development was quick and kind of shallow and the story jumped time a lot without flowing very nicely.
Ana

Reviewed for InD'Tale magazine. The review can be found here.
Andrea
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I read this a few weeks ago, and am kicking myself for not writing a review earlier. From what I remember, it was a clean Regency romance, with a unique storyline.
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A cute clean romance novel! One of those books that you can get cuddled up with while the baby takes a nap :) Really enjoyed it!
Lisa
The story is made up of your standard Regency plot contrivances.
Diane
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The story kept me wanting to read to see what would happen. It was a nice enjoyable read. There were some misspellings and other errors but it was still enjoyable.
Shanda
Full review coming soon.
Gayle
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-in-2013
3.5 stars. An enjoyable, clean Regency romance!
Susan
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable clean romance, which is such a pleasure these days. The hero and heroine are pretty predictable, but exciting.
Delta
Jan 17, 2014 marked it as free-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delta by: eReaderIQ.com
free today on Amazon 01-07-14
Cristina
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency
This book was sweet, but the characters lacked depth and the plot was a bit tired. Nicely written, just nothing ground breaking or super memorable.
Donna
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vintage-romance
I wouldn't call this a piece of classic historic literature, but it was entertaining and a fun bit of fluff. Adventure, mystery, romance, it had all the right ingredients and well worth reading.
Lillian Wexler
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light suspense

easy reading and easy to follow story line. Nicole is a sympathetic heroine. Ms. Kitchens tells a fun to read story I could visualize each scene.

• There Are Plenty More Dukes in the Sea (The Inheritance Clause #1)
  • Silent Revenge
  • The Earl's Secret Bargain (Marriage by Deceit, #1)
  • A Rake Never Changes His Spots (The Inheritance Clause #2)
  • Marquess to a Flame (Rules of the Rogue, #3)
Jennifer Kitchens is a noted author and an established reviewer. She is a life-long lover of romance and a bit of a Disney fanatic. She has a degree in Anthropology from Brigham Young University and is a stay-at-home mom to her wonderful children.

News & Interviews