Start by marking “Stop the Clock” as Want to Read:
Stop the Clock

Stop the Clock

Meet Lucy, Tina and Natalie, twenty-something friends who are all negotiating the risky business of being grown-up.

Lucy knows exactly what she wants: her marriage to be a success, her children to be perfect, and to be the ultimate home-maker.

Tina knows what she wants too: her journalism career to take off and to see her name as a byline in a national newspaper... and the
Published August 1st 2012 by Black Swan

To ask other readers questions about Stop the Clock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop the Clock

Start your review of Stop the Clock
Tara Robinson
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tackles the dilemmas of modern woman, marriage and work in such an engaging way with evocative description. Any aspiring hack and aspiring mother should read this. Read it in a day and a half, couldn't put it down. Stop the Clock, halt your iPhone and read Alison's book.
Kat
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alison Mercer is an author to watch in my opinion. From the first page I was hooked and since I have read it I have been recommending it to everyone and it is now on my favourite books of the year and in general. This is an page turner and can't wait for more by Alison Mercer .
Anne-Marie
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stop the Clock is Alison’s first novel and as she is a local author, I was lucky enough to go along to the book launch held at Mostly Books, Abingdon. Being terminally shy I was utterly terrified but I’m also a book addict so it was a delight to be there for such an event, and something I will definitely remember fondly when Alison is a guaranteed best-seller – which based on this novel would be well deserved.

I mainly read children’s books, and my adult genre is fantasy / science fiction but I
Shaz Goodwin
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Stop the Clock begins with a prologue. It’s New Year’s Eve 1999 and we find out about Lucy, Tina and Natalie’s dreams/ambitions.

Ten years later it’s Spring 2009. We begin with Lucy, who is meeting Tina and Natalie and feeling faded and worried that she’s not as glamorous as her two friends. It is Tina’s column on The Post that causes friction and Lucy returns home sooner than planned. At home she finds something that turns her world upside down.

Next we spend time with Natalie. She’s off to
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From looking at the title and the back cover, I was very interested in reading Stop The Clock, and I raced through the book, and had finished it in a day and a bit because it was so gripping!

We start the story with three friends on New Years Eve 1999, just about to enter the Millennium and wondering what the new era, and life will bring them. Lucy is married with her first baby, and desperately wants to be the perfect mother, dedicating herself to creating the ultimate home for her family to
Clo
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've already written a review on this but now i'm having to rewrite it cos of my internet!

Brilliant book!

I LOVED Tina, she was totally natural and knew what she wanted in her life which is why I loved her so much. I didn't judge her for her affair, she didnt want domestic bliss so good on her for acting on what she wanted to do.

Lucy; she was the "perfect" got it all type of girl and her friends sort of envied her but then she lost it all and she became HUMAN again, I didn't like her before her
Sal
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
At first I thought the book was going to be diappointing as the start was slow and the storyline quite predictable, however,the pace quickened ans the characters and their individual lives began to envelope me and became so realistic I simply didint want the book to end. Some poignant moral views were explored with sensitivity and from the viewpoints of all the main players. In addition the single Dads' letter in the post was so emotional I could have cried.
Lovely book with a strong
Jess
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great read, and one that really makes you think about the choices women have to make in life. The characters are warm, funny and easy to identify with and don't conform to the usual stereotypes, which I found very refreshing. Would definitely recommend you read this book, and look out for Alison Mercer's next novel!
Gina Dickerson
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great debut novel which was a pleasure to read. I found it thought provoking and entertaining, a wonderful tale of three women and the journey of their lives and friendship. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and I am very pleased I did!
Stacey Bennett
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it :)
Sam
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the three threads running through the book.

Each character had their own distinctive identity and i found it really easy to imagine them
Louise
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I couldn't put the book down once I started it. Well worth an easy read.
Megan Taylor
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read - would love a sequel to see how Lucy, Tina and Natalie are doing.
Nina Mellin
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Wow, such a disappointment! Don't read this if you're not keen on breeding! Horrible book.
Claire Hampson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was OK but the writing didn’t really flow and seemed a little stilted in parts
Natalie TBGWP
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stop the clock Follows the lives of three best friends during the most testing times of their existence so far. All secretly struggling and scared to tell each other the truth. After Lucy, Natalie and Tina give each other their 10 year plan, will they have stuck to it.

I have to be honest and say at times this book did drag for me. It seemed to lose its way a bit during the middle. It did pick up again though and I was happy to continue with it and enjoy it. The plots are good and the characters
Marisa
Jan 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
What is there to say about the waste of time this book was and how it took me away from a more worthwhile book to take up my deserved time. Thank goodness it only cost me a penny. The only redeeming part of this book was from the wife of the politician spelling out the devastation and humiliation she has endured at the hands of one of the main characters in the book. For the life of me I still can't believe my own tenacious quality about books and the need to actually finish what I started, ...more
Paula Sealey
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The story of three women, and how, over the space of a decade, they find their places in the world, at work, in relationships and with each other as friends. Stop the Clock is an interesting, well written read, but it did take me some time to get into as the beginning is quite slow. Tina's character was the most engaging, as she matures throughout the story, but Lucy was probably the most realistic. I found the motherhood aspects of the book really well researched, and several parts resonated ...more
Lynne
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
I loved this! Alison Mercer's first novel and read after enjoying her latest book After I Left You, (after she kindly gave me a copy). This story is about a group of friends, whose dreams and expectations of life change over a period of time. It's once again beautifully written and I look forward to reading more by this author. I have a feeling she will go far! One to watch!
Bev Taylor
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
lucy, tina and natalie have been friends - on and off - since leaving school

they each know what they want in life but what u want and what u get can be totally different and sometimes surprisingly better

reality isn't quite as neat and clean cut as their dreams

3 women - 3 choices - time is ruming out ......

bev
Elaine
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good book, 3 lives & 3 stories intertwined. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I like the way the book goes from one womans life to the other. A book of love, deception, ambition & friendship. beautiffully written & a great story. Will be looking out for this authors second book.
Andrea
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Okay, a bit too much knitting and a not enough story and action. Am a bit over the books where they are padded with a lot of stuff about the persons hobby, job etc.
Emma
Oct 28, 2013
Jenny Chambers
Jun 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Silent Children (DI Robyn Carter, #4)
  • Sailing Lessons
  • Little Girl Lost (DI Robyn Carter, #1)
  • The Dare (Detective Natalie Ward #3)
  • Where The Story Starts
  • Last Lullaby (Detective Natalie Ward, #2)
  • Small Island
  • Amberwell
  • Better Together
  • The Innocent and the Dead: gripping Scottish crime fiction (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • Let Love Win
  • Murder at Flood Tide: detectives hunt a killer on Edinburgh's streets (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Worthy
  • Ask Him Why
  • Heaven Adjacent
Ali Mercer was born in Reading in 1973 and studied English at University College, Oxford. She lives in Oxfordshire with her husband, the poet Ian Pindar, and their two children.