Start by marking “Deep Down (Jack Reacher, #16.5)” as Want to Read:
Deep Down (Jack Reacher, #16.5)

Deep Down

(Jack Reacher #16.5)

In thriller master Lee Child’s exclusive eBook short story, Jack Reacher must track down a spy in soldier’s clothing—by matching wits with four formidable females. Three are clean—but the fourth may prove fatal.

Includes a thrilling preview of Lee Child’s hotly anticipated Jack Reacher novel, A Wanted Man!

Summoned by Military Intelligence to Washington, D.C., Reacher is s
Published July 16th 2012 by Delacorte Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Down, please sign up.
Emily No, this book takes place when he was a MP, back in the 1980's. Book 15, which takes place after his retirement from the Army, is where he broke his…moreNo, this book takes place when he was a MP, back in the 1980's. Book 15, which takes place after his retirement from the Army, is where he broke his nose. Books 16 and 16.5 are both set in the past, during his MP days. Book 17 follows Book 15 in chronological order.(less)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Deep Down (Jack Reacher, #16.5), Lee Child
Short story about Jack Reacher, early in his military career, Jack Reacher is ordered undercover in Washington, to discover which one of four women, all staff officers on fast track careers, is leaking secrets.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز هشتم ماه فوریه سال 2018 میلادی
ا. شربیانی
Alex is The Romance Fox
What's the point of this really short story??? Apart from the money-making aspect!!!!

I get so annoyed with these little short stories that authors bring out between books just to make a buck or two more...because that's what this little "story" of just over 40 pages felt like..

So we know Jack Reacher is smarter than all those military guys out there...but really...within a few hours he solves a case of someone selling arms secrets to the enemies of USA!!!! Really....

So not impressed!!!!
Bob
Not so cool. This looks like it was written for Tom Cruse --- the poorest choice I can think of as Jack Reacher. Afraid, Lee Child has sold out.
Ken
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another short novella that focuses on Reachers backstory - This one is set during he’s time in the Military Police.

Reacher is sent to Washington in an undercover mission to solve which of the four female suspects are leaking top secret information.

It’s a relatively quick read and much shorter than some of the other novellas that have been released between each of main novels.
Unlike the others in the series, I found this one to be far more interesting and believable.

The story is a nice little my
Tim
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This thankfully short story goes nowhere. 2 of 10 stars
Jim A
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Lee Child Jack Reacher short story.

Reacher fans will want to read this just because it's Reacher. Anyone who has not read a Lee Child Reacher novel should not waste their money on this.

I can't really find anything about this short story to recommend it. Reacher is called from Germany to go undercover in a congressional hearing regarding a new sniper rifle. Military Intelligence thinks that there is a leak as to the specs of that rifle. Reacher's job is to find the leak.

There really is no plot
Lisa
Well this is a first...5 stars for a short story!

Admittedly I probably love it because I already know (and love) Reacher and his stories are somewhat familiar so obviously he will outsmart everyone and win the day! That's not really a spoiler is it??!

It encompasses everything I love about Reacher - his cool assessment of people, his methodical and logical reactions to danger and his quiet humour.

Best short story I've read this year.
(But maybe you need to be a Reacher fan...would be interested on
William
A day in the life of our hero. Short, undistinguished, not actually bad. Just a snack, unfulfilling in the end.
Harry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As everyone knows, I'm a huge fan of Lee Child's novels. But if this is an example of his short stories and if I were reading Child for the first time, I'd never read another book of his...ever. In my opinion "fate" has no place in mystery/thrillers. The genre depends on plot, the willing choices people make. Eliminating characters as suspects as due to chance beyond anyone's control (say for example, the weather) is a huge no, no for me.

Assessment: barely made it through the short story.
Eric
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Jack Reacher
My only issue with Jack Reacher after reading Killing Floor, Lee Child's first published book, was the awkward-to-average-at-best writing, and before committing to read the rest of series, I wanted to see if it improved (Spoiler Alert: It doesn't). I figured a good way to do that would be to read something he wrote more recently. And then this short story, starring the very same protagonist and written in 2012, fell into my lap.

This story has good bones -- it has a compelling lead character, a
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
This story is set in the 80's. It's another decent event in Jack Reachers history, following a corruption threat. Lots of detail and less action in this one but still a good read!
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
So, this is Reacher 16.5 and, as you might expect, there's a fairly recognisable formula that's being followed. Don't get me wrong - it's a good formula: Lee Child is brilliant at setting up scenes that suck you in with the level of apparently innocuous detail that then lead on to something more significant. Usually involving Reacher being laconic and vaguely unhelpful with someone in authority - one of the main reasons I like the books is precisely because Reacher gets away with saying all the ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Not bad. I'm not a fan of short stories (this may be closer to a novella) but it's okay. Still Reacher still some huh moments but still enjoyable.
Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rare Lee Child book that did not grip me. I love the Jack Reacher books and was let down a little by this one.
Hobart
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
Ahh, this is more like it -- I was afraid that I was going to have to give up on these shorts to preserve my appreciation for the novels. But Lee Child and Dick Hill pulled it off.

Its the mid-80s, Reacher's a Captain in the Army and is called to Washington to go undercover as an Army sniper. Someone is leaking information from a Congressional investigation into whether the Army and Marines need a new, super-cutting-edge sniper rifle. The Ar
Kathy Davie
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
This is a very short story, and technically, it's 16.5 in the Jack Reacher suspense series. Chronologically, this takes place early in Reacher's career in 1986, so more like a 0.75.

My Take
What can I say, it's a Reacher...and he figures it out so easily while I'm sitting here totally stupid. I liked how Child informed us of Reacher's character with his mouthing off to Christopher, his observational skills in figuring out what Christopher's hand movements mean. Without being an info dump, it tells
Todd Cannon
I enjoyed the short Reacher story Second Son that Child wrote so when I saw this was available in our library I was eager to read it. I had to put it on hold and wait a couple of weeks for it to come in but it was worth it.

This is only 53 pages so I easily read it in one sitting. I thought that there were some classic Reacher moments. I have seen that some reviews say that they think this was not one of Child's best efforts but I think that they may just be mad that Tom Cruise was cast in the Ja
Andrew
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so my adventures in the world of Lee Childs Jack Reacher continue. Now I will admit that I have a lot to learn about this canon but I was under the impression he was a traveller from one situation to another figuring out problems and dealing with situations along the way rather like the littlest hobo but more fists and brain work than cute eyes and a loving disposition (go on who recognises that reference). But this story is something different and I must admit I am intrigued to find out how ...more
Skip
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, thriller
Jack Reacher is asked to help figure out who is selling inside information on the procurement of a new sniper rifle among four upwardly mobile military woman, and is flown in from overseas to work undercover. Just as the story gets interesting, it's over. What is the point?
Rod
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Short audiobook.
Reacher in his early military days. Gets sent to a government meeting to find out which of 4 girls is moving guns. Awesome quick bar brawl at the end.
Sam Quixote
Aug 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve known the name Lee Child for a while now and having read Stephen King recommending him as a “guilty pleasure” decided to have a look at the writer. I tried with his novel “One Shot” but couldn’t make it past the first few pages of description of a city. Months later I tried again with “Deep Down” a short story featuring Child’s Jack Reacher character and finished it – but only just.

Child writes the blandest, most uninspired and workmanlike prose (prose is barely the word to describe it rea
Jim
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As familiar as I am with author Lee Child's name, I had never read any of his books until now. I usually read a couple of Kindle Singles a month, and when I noticed that "Deep Down" was the #1 Single even before its publication date, I preordered it. If "Deep Down" is representative of the Jack Reacher series, I'll be back for more.

The story is set in Washington, DC, in 1986. Narrated in the third-person point of view, the story concerns a new sniper rifle that could give US military forces an a
Matt
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
It all began with an overseas mission. Reacher is sent from Germany back to Washington to undertake a quick but all-important mission for the US Military. Fears have arisen that acquisition plans for some of the newest and most powerful weapons technology is being leaked to enemy states. Reacher has been brought in to attend the presentations and try to weed out the individual who might be behind these leaks and have them brought to justice. While Reacher is still a suave soldier and keen to use ...more
Abhishek
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aha, a Jack Reacher book! Oh no, a short story with only few pages! Aha, it's a Jack Reacher book! If you are a lover of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, then these are the kind of thoughts that would go through your mind whenever you come across one of those short tales Child has written. Because you can never really get enough of Reacher, can you? (unless Tom Cruise is trying to fill his boots).

Deep Down is a "guilty pleasure" read, one of those books that moves at a quick pace, raises t
Emily
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another dive into Reacher's distant past as a young MP in the 1980s. This novella shows that Reacher had already patented head-butting and elbow throwing as ways to take the bad guys out, and his incredible powers of deductive reasoning. It was a quick read, and I always manage to enjoy Reacher, but I much prefer his post-MP days as a free agent, wandering around and calling all the shots himself. I actually enjoyed the two chapter preview of book 17 (A Wanted Man) at the back of this e-book bet ...more
Holly
May 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Lee Childs, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his work. Jack Reacher is one of my top 10 favorite characters of all time! However, this short story was just not for me. I grab the audio version so I could listen to it on a road trip, and let me just say I honestly couldn't get into the story, even though it was about 2 hours long. I remember thinking to myself that I wasn't for sure if Lee Child actually wrote this book. So if you have this book that's awesome, if not please just skip ...more
Linda
There are classified talks going on in Washington regarding plans for a new, state of the art sniper rifle. Unfortunately there are leaks to the plans of the rifle. Jack Reacher is brought in under cover to try to suss out the culprit. There are four women, any one of which could be "it".

An interesting, shorter story.
dbbks3
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the usual Reacher story, & I don,t mean that in a good way. This is a Tom Cruise tidbit, as small & uninteresting as Cruise himself. Bring back the real Eacher & have him beat the s--- out of Cruise.
Mary MacKintosh
As usual Reacher rocks, but as time passes I feel Child writes him as morally outside the rule of law more frequently. That's OK with me, but--just an observation.
Cindy
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series addition - who doesn’t like The Dark Knight!?! Recommended for military, mystery, political book fans. Recommended period!
🤔👍👌🤔

• Get Back Jack (Hunt For Reacher #2)
  • Columbus (Silver Bear, #2)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Dead Zero (Bob Lee Swagger, #7; Ray Cruz, #1)
  • Angle of Investigation (Harry Bosch, #14.7)
  • White Death (Alexander Hawke, #8.5)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
  • Paris Is A Bitch (John Rain, #6.5)
  • Strip
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Passenger 13 (Ben Hope, #0.5)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
“The officers shook hands, and the sniper gave a millimetric nod, which Reacher returned, equally briefly, which for two alleged snipers was effusive, and for a dogface and a jarhead meeting for the first time was practically like rolling around on the floor in an ecstatic bear hug.” 8 likes
“He rolled the bloodied tape into a cylinder” 0 likes