Start by marking “Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.2)” as Want to Read:
Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.2)

Restoration of Faith

(The Dresden Files 0.2)

A short story of the Dresden Files.

(Also included in Side Jobs)
ebook, Free Online Read, 12 pages
Published 2004

To ask other readers questions about Restoration of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restoration of Faith

Kristina
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-goal-55
People keep telling me, "Read the Dresden Files. Read the Dresden Files."
Well, I can tell you that after reading this very short story for the series, I have bumped the series much further up on my to-read list.

I have always said that an author that can make you care about their characters in a short amount of time is probably better than the author that needs a whole book to do so. And care I did. Little Faith was such a strong character in this 12 page story that she brought tears to my eyes.
Jim
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The first Dresden story written while Butcher was in high school according to his foreword. He said it wasn't good enough to publish, but didn't mention rewriting it extensively. It was a little rough, but not bad. It was fun to see how Harry got started in the private detective business & met Murphy. It's short & should be read by any fan of the series.

It's a free ebook, but I got it as an audio from the library. Very well narrated.
Katy
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of the Side Jobs anthology. It is the book in which Harry finds a missing girl, but it’s never as simple as it seems. Butcher complains about the lack of quality in this story, but I think it’s really awesome. It’s also where Harry meets Murphy, plus a troll, so bonus!
Michelle [Helen Geek]
11/15/2015 -- Read this short to get me started in this series. I need something different and I think this will do the trick.
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to know how Harry met Murphy. Hope Faith got home okay. Can't wait to read more books with Harry Dresden!!!
Julie (Jewls Book Blog)
What an interesting first meet for Harry and Karrin! A spunky 12 year old tweenie, grumpy troll, and jaded partner..Harry’s life is never boring.
Rizwan
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good, very quick introduction to Harry Dresden and his world. Butcher said he wrote it when he was in university, and was the third or fourth short story he ever written at that point, including his school projects! :P He or his publisher didn't think it was worthy of publishing at the beginning, but I didn't find any problem with the story or the writing-quality and quite enjoyed a quick, short and fun read. I'm already reading Storm Front (Dresden Files-1), but thought I read the short story ...more
Julianna
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy; The Dresden Files
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Restoration of Faith is a short prequel novella in the Dresden Files series. It's only about the length of a chapter and tells the story of a case Harry worked before becoming a full-fledged private investigator. At the time he and his partner, Nick, ran Ragged Angel Investigations, an agency that searched for missing children. This was an aspect of the story that I really enjoyed, and I thought Harry was very good with the girl he rescued. He seemed to have a kind, gentl
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Restoration of Faith is book 0.5 in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I'd love to tell you what it's about, but I wrote the review in February 2012, after I read it, but due to a Goodreads Glitch, my review was deleted and I no longer remember what its about. I'm peeved. My stats dropped by one and I had to look through every single book until I found which one was missing. Grrrrrrrr. I do know that I loved every Jim Butcher book I've read, so I know the rating is a 5/5.
Netanella
I'm embarking on a read-a-thon journey of the "The Dresden Files", and this short story is an excellent introduction into what has been recommended to me as an excellent urban fantasy series. I'm stoked!
B.J. Richardson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very short. Like fifteen minutes very short. I really don't like even counting it as one of my books for the year but I did decide to review everything I read.
Anyways, it is good but certainly won't be winning any awards. This is a book(let) prequel introducing us to Harry Dresden wizard private detective. It takes place a few months before he goes into business himself and shares a little bit about why he does what he does. It is a cute read, not a great one but this is my first vent
Quintin Zimmermann
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
When Harry Met Murphy (and a troll)
Francesco
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oooooooh, l'incontro con Murphy!
E Harry è sempre così burbero fuori ma gentile dentro che non si può non volergli bene!
Sammm
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was very standard. A very typical investigation, and I swear it wasn't too original as I've def. known of the "client-backstabbing-their-helpers" type of cases, so I can understand why, like what Butcher said, his editors probably didn't think it was that great to be the start off piece. That's not to say this story sucks, cuz it doesn't, it just probably wouldn't be too memorable.

I like that I got to know Harry before he was working for himself. At first I thought this "Nick" character was j
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty decent short story, there is lack of action but that wasn't the main point anyways.

The story emerges I think just to offer a glimpse onto the world of Harry Dresden. And considering this was the first piece of writing on the Magician Detective I guess Jim himself was trying to visit the idea of such a being.

I liked the cute little kid and his matured talking as well as honest view on the matters, I liked Harry's point of view on the things as the story progressed. Finally I was glad to
Nickie
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellette
This is a brief story of Harry Dresden before he starts his own Wizarding business. He is training with a partner to find a young run away girl. I liked this story a lot because I read it after I was 5-6 books into the series and in one of the full length novels, a magical creature asks Harry why he does what he does, and I feel like this answered part of that question. It is a very brief entry found for free on his website. You might as well read it if you are a Dresden fan.
Chad
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A short episode of Dresden before he opened his own PI business. Upon finding a lost child he is told the parents have reported her kidnapped, not missing. Will Dresden be able to get out of this one or will he leave the little girl alone in the big city.

This short story only takes a few minutes to read, but is a great glimpse at Dresden before he has a lot of power or even before he is out on his own. A great, quick read in the Dresden saga.
Deranged Pegasus
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, 2012
A cute little tale that introduces a great many characters and a tiny glimpse into the life of Harry Dresden. This glimpse bringing a yearning to read more and find out what else lives in the dark and the magic that can defeat it. It was nice to learn more of the past of the characters and to feel more involved with them.
Kyle
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Dresden Files
Read this because I heard you should read this before the first book, which I'm reading right now. It's better than most short story prequels because it actually has a story and isn't just some random scene that shouldn't even have been written and adds absolutely nothing to the plot/characters.

It's also reasonably funny too, which always helps.
Bruno Vasconcelos
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice and quick introduction this world.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance fans,Urban Fantasy fans, Kim Harrison fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: my anthology marathon
I really love stories of the early days in the Dresden Files.
Jules (Never enough time to read)
A great wee short story.
Victoria
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fab wee shorty. Exactly what I was in the mood for. I love these books and this was great.
Ben Truong
"Restoration of Faith" is a short story from The Dresden Files series written by Jim Butcher, which was first published on his website and later collected and published in Side Jobs. This short story takes place before Storm Front and Harry Dresden's first meeting with Karrin Murphy.

Harry Dresden has been an employee of Private Investigator Nicholas Christian of Ragged Angel Investigations for some time and still has six months to work for him before he can get a licence of his own. They are emp
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Fun little short story intro to Dresden and what he does.

Update: Thus begins my series relisten in hopes that Butcher really is getting back in gear:

From Jim Butcher's AMA on Reddit June 1st 2018:

Jim:
"Living without a workspace greatly impacted my ability to perform as a professional, but I fell in love with a girl who is awesome and I was tired of not being near her.

I started building a house that was supposed to be finished in nine months. It took three years. So it's been very difficult to ge
Gina Guesby Mays
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i really, really enjoyed this audiobook! the narrator took one of my favorite wizards and introduced me to a side of Harry Dresden that encompassed him before he had his own office. i love the back story, his heart and the way he deals with the supernatural. Well done, Mr. Butcher, even though it was stated at the beginning of the book that this was not his best work, it's still good work and an enjoyable piece!
Jessi Collier wakefield
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Harry Met Murphy. What's not to like?

With all due respect to Jim Butcher and his feelings that he had to apologize for this short story, but he's silly to think that a Dresden fan wouldn't love it. It is clearly not his best, let's not kid ourselves, but it's short, fun, and we get a quick Harry fix. Plus, let's be honest, we all wanted to know how his best friend Murphy came into his life.

I just adore this series.
Eduan Slabbert
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy, mythology and magic
Recommended to Eduan by: James Roberts
I read this as my intro into Dresden's world (Using the Ultimate Dresden Omnibus eBook).

I'm already in love with this world! Harry is an interesting character and now also one of my favorite wizards.

Short but good. Having read a few of the later novels, it does a good job of showing you what Harry is like, and I'm sure it would work just as well if it is read later on in the journey as well.
Theresa
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very short story on the authors’ website from the Dresden Files series: 0.2.

A job to locate a missing kid changes from a runaway to a ‘reported kidnapping’ with Harry and Nick as the suspects. But when Harry locates her he can’t leave a 10 year old alone on the street, especially with a troll.

Fave scenes: the glowing ring.
LaCath
I've been told to read the Dresden Files for some time, now, but i always felt like it wasn't the right time.
Well, this first introduction to Harry Dresden universe was very cute and put a smile on my face. I wish I had a ring that lights up with happy memories, even if it means trolls truly hide under bridges
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite #3)
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Dark and Stormy Knights (Kitty Norville; Vampire Files; Kate Daniels; Signs of the Zodiac; Dresden Files)
  • Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy
  • Doomwar
  • The Looking Glass
  • Hero Tales from American History
  • Beware of the Dog
  • Birds of Prey #1
  • Civil War #1
  • Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Mighty Avengers, Volume 1: No Single Hero
  • The Alchemist
  • In Vino Veritas (Dorina Basarab, #2.1)
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love
  • Justice League Dark, Volume 2: The Books of Magic
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
“Whenever it gets too dark, think of the good things you have, the good times you've had. It will help. I promise.” 2 likes
“There are people who love you, Faith. Or who one day will. Even if you can't see them beside you, right here, right now, they're out there. But if you let the dark get into your eyes, you might never find them. So it's best to keep a little light with you, along the way.” 0 likes