Start by marking “Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino” as Want to Read:
Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino

Read Book

Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
What do you like most when reading about adventures: descriptions about the terrain, the culture, the challenges, the personal growth, the interactions between other adventures? Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino successfully combines all these elements in a heartfelt and personal recounting of Jane V. Blanchard’s 2011 five-hundred mile pilgrimage on the Camino de Sant ...more
Published June 25th 2012 by Createspace (first published June 25th 2011)

Dennis Blanchard
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, but then why wouldn't I, I'm one of the characters in the book. Jane and I had a wonderful time walking the Camino together and this is her story of that walk.
Elizabeth Parker
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wanted to hike the Camino but don't have the ability to do so just yet? If so, you'll love this book. Quite honestly, even if you never had the desire, you'll still enjoy this book. Ms. Blanchard takes you on her journey and offers not only her viewpoint, but the perspectives of fellow women she meets along the way.
As she invites you into her world at the very beginning of the planning stage, she offers insight into all of the worries and concerns most of us would have if we were t
Elizabeth
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jane Blanchard's book, Women of the Way: A Journey to Joy, was truly joyous to read. Jane starts out in the same "place" many of us are ... with a stressed, busy life. But as she submerges herself bit by bit in the spirit of the Camino, the stress starts to melt away and the real "Jane" floats to the surface. In addition to allowing us a glimpse of who she really is, she shares the stories of other women that she meets along the way and their own personal challenges and awakenings. Walking the C ...more
Áine
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great read, particularly if you are considering doing a long-distance hike and are looking for inspiration. The author does a wonderful job of portraying the challenges and the joys of preparing for and journeying on the Camino. It is a worthy read for anyone who is interested in hiking, travel, and introspection and learning about the many ways people find themselves on the same journey together.
Caryl
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am hoping to cycle the Camino this fall and Blanchard's very readable account of her walk across Spain was exactly right for me- practical details plus interesting descriptions of fellow travelers.
Judy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good combination of the story of the author's Camino walk and those of the women she met along the way. There are a lot of journals of people's walks, and I'm working my way through a lot of them, but this one had a unique twist.
Marilyn
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, read-in-china
This was delightful to read and so much more upbeat than the whiney man's tale of the same walk. I need to read a few more Camino de Santago accounts.
Linda
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat light but interesting read. In some ways it's like most Camino books, a memoir of the author's walking the Camino de Santiago. But it adds something extra with the feminist focus: the author's experiences are intercut by short interviews of women she met along the Way, in which the women explain why they decided to walk the Camino and afterwards how they look back on it.

The interview parts were really the most interesting to me; in comparison the rest, which was really just a diary w
Anne Lawrence
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the different stories and perspectives. Excellent vacation read.
Janette Waraker
Mar 12, 2015
Cherri
May 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jane V. Blanchard, adventurer, author, and public speaker, was born in Hartford, Connecticut. She lived in Hampstead, New Hampshire, twenty-three years before moving to Sarasota, Florida, where she now resides. In Florida, Jane became active in several organizations benefiting women and hosted a weekly radio talk show, Women Matters.

Jane loves the outdoors. She climbed her first mountain, Mount Wa
More about Jane V. Blanchard
“It lifts my spirits to see the statues of mothers, working women, and female peasants. These respectful and well-maintained tributes to women make the day special for me; this art is a lasting reminder that women matter in these rural Spanish towns and that women's contributions are remembered.” 1 likes
“Sometimes the solutions to our problems come from looking backwards, not forwards.” 1 likes