Start by marking “Stronger Where It Counts” as Want to Read:
Stronger Where It Counts

Stronger Where It Counts

IT guy Michael figures he's in for an awkward evening when a client takes him to a girlie bar. When he gets talking to big, blond Kyle, it seems like it's his lucky night after all. But they have a shared past Michael's managed to forget and Kyle is hoping he won't remember.

Kyle's deeply ashamed of his weakness back in high school, when he stood by and watched as Michael b
Published July 1st 2012 by JMS Books

To ask other readers questions about Stronger Where It Counts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stronger Where It Counts

Deeze
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice little read. The whole story is more or less Michaels thought process. Amusing and entertaining read.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I like Michael, his voice is self deprecating and funny, his inner monologue was entertaining.
Kyle, I have mixed feelings about him, kids do stupid things, but he knew Michael and knew what had happened to him and he was there, so I would have felt much better about the whole thing if he had come clean on his own and not after Michael remembered him.
That is sometimes the issue with shorts,it's compacted so we miss a bit of trust building that I felt was needed here.
And of course the ending is ho
Vio
Interesting and quite entertaining inner dialogue Michael has its both amusing and sad at times. Really good short but that up in the air ending left me wanting more, maybe we will get to know more about Micheal and Kyle and how or if they can make a go of it.
CrabbyPatty
Ever watched Episodes on Showtime?

It's snarky, wickedly funny satirical take on Hollywood, starring Sean and Beverly, successful BAFTA-winning screenwriters from the UK who have penned a beloved Britcom called Lyman's Boys, about a headmaster in an English boy's school.

They are persuaded to go to Hollywood and redo the series for American audiences and after being promised that the series will NOT change in any way, of course it is renamed Pucks!, starring Matt LeBlanc as the headmaster hockey
Chris
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short, gay, ebook, romance, 2012, done
Very good short m/m story about an IT guy working in a small Southern town for a week who gets dragged to a (straight) strip joint by his clueless client. The evening doesn't seem so bad after he sees the hunky (and vaguely familiar) bartender... This has an HFN ending - I'd actually like to read a followup story about these two!
Anke
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
The voice of Michael was getting on my nerves a bit and the end felt too much fairytale-like.
Kaetrin
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it

B- Enjoyable (but very short - 22 pages) story about Michael, an IT guy who gets dragged to a strip club with a client who doesn't know he's gay. Things look up when he spots a hot, well-muscled bartender who seems vaguely familiar. It turns out the bartender (Kyle) and he went to school together. When the Michael was beaten by homophobic school bullies, Kyle didn't step in. I'd be very happy to read a longer story about these two.

Elspeth
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a nice story with a great deeper meaning.
I liked both characters ideas on what makes you strong.
Lucy
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

The IT client who takes Michael to the strip bar is just obnoxious. Wants Michael to “pop his cherry” with the girls, completely unaware girls aren’t going to do it for Michael. So when the gorgeous bartender, Kyle, comes onto the scene, well great. If he seems a little familiar, that’s okay. Until it isn’t. Until Michael realizes who the hell Kyle is – part of the group that beat him so badly he ended up on the hospital for six weeks. SIX WEEKS! After that, he
Melissa
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
tronger Where It Counts

By J. L. Merrow

In this little story can a man that was badly beaten up in high school for being gay find it in himself to forgive the smallest boy there who has turned into his fantasy man?

Michael Frazer was always tall and gawky, he never hid that he was different and one day the jocks in his school ganged up on him and beat him up so bad he ended up in the hospital for six weeks. Then he moved to Atlanta to live with his grandmother. Now he is back in the area on an IT j
Lillian Francis
It's not often I have a complaint about one of Ms Merrow's books. The writing was great as usual but I wanted more.
I could understand Michael's dick forgiving Kyle but I think something needed to happen outside the bedroom after this where Kyle had to make a stand (not necessarily out himself) and show where his loyalties lie before I could believe things would work out in the long run.
Lori
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
A cute read.
Tailtiu
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology
Also part of the A Flirty Dozen Anthology.
Michelle
*Kindle Unlimited
Grandmat
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
2.5 Too short to develop the story. Otherwise entertaining.
Claudia
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I expected a longer story, but it was nice anyway. lots of chemistry, the romance would have been great to see developed.
Mirella
Nov 05, 2014
Mandi
Jul 01, 2012
Jen
A very short erotic story. I enjoyed the humor.
Lacey
Aug 24, 2013
Edward Bare
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
JL Merrow is that rare beast, an English person who refuses to drink tea. She read Natural Sciences at Cambridge, where she learned many things, chief amongst which was that she never wanted to see the inside of a lab ever again. Her one regret is that she never mastered the ability of punting one-handed whilst holding a glass of champagne.

She writes across genres, with a preference for contempora