Start by marking “The Light Heart of Stone” as Want to Read:
The Light Heart of Stone

The Light Heart of Stone

11-year-old Fox lives in Kelp province where her father is the Indidjiny keeper of the land and sea. When the 84-year-old Oak Companion arrives to test the camp’s children for talent, Fox finds herself wrenched from her family, forcibly adopted into the famous Oak clan, and thrust into the slow culture of the city of Komey.

Fox’s adoption should signal a life of bound moth
Published 2012 by Curious Crow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Light Heart of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light Heart of Stone

Start your review of The Light Heart of Stone
S.B. Wright

The Light Heart of Stone by Tor Roxburgh is quite simply a beautifully wrought and original tale. It is a fresh and compelling read on a number of levels.

The Tale

Young Fox is an Indiginy daughter born in the Kelp province, in a land called The Stone Body.  The Indiginy tribes live under a treaty enforced by the descendants of a 1000 year old invading force.

The colonising forces are split into houses named after their produce, with each house administering a province. These houses are lead by

Mark Webb
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge. All my AWWC reviews can be found here.

I was first made aware of The Light Heart of Stone by Tor Roxburgh through this excellent interview that Sean the Bookonaut undertook with Roxburgh in episode 15 of the Galactic Chat podcast. If you're an Australian fan of fantasy novels, I defy you to listen to that interview and not be interested in picking up a copy.

The interview also contains some interestin
Lynne
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Loved it and looking forward to number 2 😊
Dearbhla
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, sff, favourites
Fox is a young girl growing up on the Stone Body, a land ruled over by the Compionarii. She is a member of an Indiginy tribe. A long time ago the Stone Body was only inhabited by the indiginy peoples, but over one thousand years ago strangers from across the ocean arrived. There was, of course, conflict, but that was resolved with a treaty, and the the two people have lived in relative peace under the terms of that treaty since then. But it is not an equal treaty. The Compionarii rule the land, ...more
Charlie
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eleven-year-old Fox is different. When others are busy with Indidjiny camp life, she is up in a tree, watching the construction of some unknown event, dreaming of a life far away from fish. What she is spying on is an agreement between the Companionaris and the Indidjinies that will pull Fox out of Kelp province and away from her own people.
Fox is different; she has talent. She could potentially carry a child with companionship powers and save Oak province. Companions are able to grow plants and
Aphie
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS is Australian fantasy!
Influenced by our colonial history and Indigenous peoples (see what the author did there?), this is familiar yet different enough to be intriguing. In this world, the Aboriginal peoples' sense of relationship to the land is visible in the Indijines rockskin, a layer of rock-like formation on their arms and backs of their hands, that allows them to sense the earth ("the Stone Body")and all that walks upon it.
I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with the swapping of skin
Lucy
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have never been much of a fantasy reader so I started reading The Light Heart of Stone with my mind a blank canvas, open to something unfamiliar. The author does not give too much away in the early chapters and I found it difficult to accept the things I did not understand, to suspend my disbelief. However, the power of the story drew me in and overshadowed any doubts I had about this fantasy world that I didn’t understand. The story is both dark and beautiful, written with a deep understandin ...more
Kerima
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an unusual book, both in it's world building through use of the local custom of story telling- this was done very well, and also in the very imaginative setting. In this world women are the main actors and wield most of the power. The issues are societal and racial, as well as economic, not just a standard good versus evil formula, which makes for a more complex story, but also for some more long-winded passages.

I definitely thought a bunch about this book and tried to describe the worl
Amra Pajalic
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ozauthor
The Light Heart of the Stone is a fantasy novel, set in the world of the Stone Body, a continent on which plants and animals need human companions in order to thrive.

For more than one thousand years, the Companionaris and the Indidjinies have lived side-by-side. The colonising Companionaris control the talent for growing plants and breeding animals. The colonised Indidjinies own the land.

In order to achieve a balance a high price is paid by the Indidjiny who must give up their offspring with ta
Andrea
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say never judge a book by its cover. But this cover looked like an entry in a graphic design contest. The elongated "T" of Tor reminded me both of a sword and the side of a heraldic shield. The cover is sparingly elegant, "designer". It promised fantasy with contemporary and intelligent themes.
I was not disappointed.
Themes such as family, colonisation and nature are deftly drawn and compel the reader not only to avidly follow the unfolding drama - and it is drama! - but to reflect more broa
Julie Twohig
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well Fantasy isn't a genre I usually read so I was more than pleasantly surprised to feel The Light Heart of Stone hook me in and keep me turning its pages (all 639 of them - a true epic, and this just the first of a trilogy!) right 'til the end, staying up way too late each night.

This book is an epic feat for which Tor Roxburgh deserves to be proud. Drawing on recognisable and worrisome themes such as the plight of refugees, our own displaced indigenous Australian people, as well as global and
Brenda
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will preface my review with a warning that fantasy is not my usual genre - however I was pleasantly surprised by this novel.

It tells the tale of 11 y.o. Fox who is removed from her own (Kelp) Clan and adopted into another clan - the Oaks. She comes under the guidance of her "aunt' Oria who guides her through life, and meets other central
characters from other clans Mica; a pseudo love interest.

There is quite an undertone to the book as crops are failing and animals are dying, and a decision is
Demet
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spiritual, fascinating, dark and mythical, The Light Heart of Stone delivers a tale of prejudice, invasion, identity, love and culture in a fantastical world that mirrors our Australian history. Colonisation, the stolen generation, cross cultural relationships, refugees are themes that are as present as the wanderers' stones. Characters are fresh and the Indidjiny culture rich with divine connection to self, land and each other- a magic like no other. Tor Roxburgh's is a gripping voice that dare ...more
Leonie
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. The themes throughout the book, relating to indigenous peoples and colonisation, could have gone down the predictable path - but they didn't, and that, more than anything is what sets this book a step above many others.

The writing was tight and the character development was excellent. It was so well done, that I was very disappointed when the end arrived. I think that Tor Roxburgh is an author to keep an eye on.
Pete Aldin
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The word I keep thinking as I read this novel is "fresh". There's no other story I've read to which I can compare it.

It deals with themes of empire, greed, racism and the environment and weaves these into a complex tale of intrigue, betrayal and mysterious powers at work.

My only quibble was it was difficult at times to get a sense of "time": ie., I wasn't sure if the era was analogous to Puritan America or Victorian England. However in the end this didn't matter.

Great book.
Caroline
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved reading this book. The story was so different to anything I have read before, magical and spiritual. I couldn't put it down. The writter has a wonderful ability to keep you captivated the whole way through the book, including the ending. I am looking forward to reading book two.
Matt
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A lovely, engaging story. Can't wait for the rest of the series!
Vikki Petraitis
Jun 25, 2013
Jerry Lou
rated it did not like it
Oct 08, 2012
Lauren Dixon
Linda
Rodney Rodriguez
Sep 27, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the paperback editions 7 155 Jul 05, 2012 09:52PM

• The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3)
  • The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1)
  • The Legion of Flame (The Draconis Memoria #2)
  • Hope and Red (Empire of Storms, #1)
  • Bane and Shadow (Empire of Storms, #2)
  • Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1)
  • Daughters of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #2)
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
  • City of Miracles (The Divine Cities, #3)
I am a writer, artist and reader. My books have been published by William Heinemann Australia, Pan Macmillan, Pan UK, Australian Consolidated Press, Greenhouse Publications and The Federation Press.

Writing as Linda Hollan, Gina Walsh and KD Miller, I am the author of 12 teenage romances. My non-fiction includes Taking Control, a successful Australian title about family violence, and The Book of W