Start by marking “Everyone's Reading Bastard” as Want to Read:
Everyone's Reading Bastard

Everyone's Reading Bastard

Newspaper columnist Elaine Harris has always written about her life with husband Charlie. Her editor and her legions of readers count on full disclosure from her, but what no one—least of all Charlie—anticipates, only a week after the couple decide to end their marriage, is the speed and inventiveness with which she begins to try him in the court of public opinion. On Mond ...more
Published June 26th 2012 by Byliner Inc. (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Everyone's Reading Bastard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone's Reading Bastard

Jade
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, kindle
From the little that this book is, it was funny and followed NIck Hornby's true to real life nature style. However this didn't feel like a short story, it felt like the beginning of a book that he couldn't be bothered to finish. The place where it cut off left me feeling...oh, okay. And that was it. If Nock ever makes this a book, I might read it, but it didn't do what a short story should for me.
John
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short stories are pretty honest. I mean it’s right there in the name. There's some ambiguity, I guess, but they're laying it out in the open more or less. Short stories are short. Many times, I read short stories that are satisfyingly, fascinatingly complete. Whole unto themselves. Perfect little universes called into being at an author’s whim for a reader's delight.

Occasionally, I read a short story that feels short. One that reminds me it's short. One that leaves me wanting for more but not in
Jessica Fure
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can you really say about Nick Hornby? The work's always good; good is his default setting. He ranges from "perfectly fine" to "that is perfect," and "Everyone's Reading Bastard" comes much closer to the latter.

A hundred years from now - and I apologize for this, I really do, but it's true - Nick Hornby will be this era's Mark Twain or Dickens. If you want a look at the ugly, the real, the funny, the un-pretty feeling of being here and now, Hornby will show you his without hesitation.
Rosver
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not really good but saved because of the shortness. The characters aren't interesting or admirable. The story is barely a story. The whole thing would not have keep my interest if it have not ended quickly. Its shortness make me give it two stars.

The main character Charlie is a very selfish, self-centered ass. He had a lot of deprecating qualities and depriving behaviour that makes me loath him in all ways. He lacks self respect or any virtue to latch on. To list from the "story," he is an deadb
Kelly Hager
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Charlie and Elaine are getting a divorce. This would be a pretty stressful time no matter what, but Charlie is about to learn one of the great truths of life: don't piss off a newspaper columnist.

Now Elaine is writing a weekly column called, appropriately enough "BASTARD!" And, as the title of this story would lead you to believe, it's a big hit.

I've been a Nick Hornby fan for years, since I read High Fidelity after seeing the movie. He doesn't release books very often (and I accidently read Fev
Sam Quixote
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Charlie gets divorced from Elaine and, suddenly free of her ex-husband’s presence, Elaine begins writing about Charlie in her weekly column titled “Bastard” published in a national newspaper. And, much to Charlie’s horror, she is writing about everything – his bad habits, his sexual performance, his parenting faux pas - everything she hated about him and their marriage. And now everyone can read about it!

Nick Hornby’s struck upon an interesting idea for a story but it quickly becomes clear why t
Marc  A.
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Nick Hornby ever since reading his, "High Fidelity" following a viewing of the excelent film made from it (one of the very best film adaptations ever IMO).

This is just a short (maybe too short) Kindle Single that briefly explores a difficut and humiliating life experience (in this case a nasty divorce the gory details of which have gone viral in all the media) from the point of view of the spurned (okay, he cheated) husband of a highly successful writer with a major online
John
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quick, very entertaining story that feels like the opening chapters of a promising new Hornby novel. Why he cut it off after only thirty or so pages, I have no idea. Definitely worth the .99 cent price tag to download it off Amazon, especially now that they're charging around a gazillion dollars for most of their other Kindle books.
Marcello S
Driiin!

- Mr. Hornby, si ricorda il racconto che ci deve inviare entro domani? Sa com’è, dobbiamo andare in stampa.
- Ehm, si certo, ci sto lavorando…
- Perfetto, lo aspettiamo!

Ma di che racconto parla questo?! Perché firmo i contratti e poi vado al pub e mi sbronzo e non mi ricordo le cose?
Massì, di solito le storie sulle coppie che litigano e si lasciano e poi forse tornano insieme o forse no mi vengono bene. Ci riprovo.

E invece.
Nick, ti regalo una stella perché in passato di gioie me ne hai da
Matjaz
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea. It's your basic "man are from mars women are from venus" story sprinkled with 1st world problems.
Zac Cronin
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honest and universal (sort of) short story
Valentina
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: racconti
Trovate la recensione anche su http://dustypagesinwonderland.blogspo...

Questo romanzo breve, o meglio racconto – visto che nella versione originale da me letta consta di sole 29 pagine – è tutt’altro che uno scontato resoconto di quanto può essere portata all’esasperazione l’insoddisfazione che si sente riguardo a se stessi quando finisce un amore. Quella che sembrerebbe una storia piena di humor, alla fine non è altro che la volontà di smorzare la tragedia intrinseca nella storia. Non ci sono m
Tom
"Everyone's Reading BASTARD" is a short story by the brilliant author, Nick Hornby.

I'm of an age where his novel, "High Fidelity," rang true for me: I could equate my various girlfriends with the music I was listening to at the time, or--in more cases--what I was playing on the radio. (This is why Janet Jackson and Atlantic Starr remind me of Beth and the Little Red-Haired Girl from college--because the songs were in heavy rotation at work, not because I was choosing to listen to them!). OH, an
Eleni
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nick Hornby, you are my hero.
I don’t think I can ever thank you enough for Fever Pitch and High Fidelity (YAY for all the re-reads!)
For sharing your thoughts on The Believer all these years.
For being such a great reader, in addition to being a fantastic writer. And it’s not just what you read. It’s also how you read and write about it!
For tirelessly compiling all these lists of your favourite books, movies and music.
For being such a fierce, frustrated and expressive Arsenal fan like I am
Mark Barber
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Nick Hornby for years and although 'a short', this story is in typical Hornby fashion. As usual, the characters are believable and not padded out, and he captures urban life with the accuracy of a sniper. The pace is fast and perhaps that is the only downfall as I was kind of left feeling derailed with the ending, which is so abrupt it left me feeling that there should have been more mileage with this one. Everyone's Reading BastardEveryone's Reading Bastard
H
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh man, what can I say? I love Nick Hornby's books and stories.... This is a short story about a man whose soon to be ex-wife makes a living writing a weekly column about what a horrible Bastard he is.... The funniest part is that he admits to many of the things she accuses him of, and the talent of Hornby is we ALL recognize ourselves in his bastardy. And we feel sorry for him. I love Nick Hornby. Love love love his books! Makes me want to read About a Boy again....
Isaac Katzanek
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
The trouble with Hornby is that his pace lets you fly through a novel-length book while still maintaining an attachment to the characters. The short story format creates some trouble with this, and leaves the ending feeling a little unresolved in comparison with his longer works. However, the story itself WAS enjoyable, I just wish there could've been more of it!
Chinook
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-kindle, europe
"That's what family stories were-amusing accounts of the messes and the fuckups. Take away the love and the laughter, narrate the stories as if the characters had acted with malice and self-absorption, and everybody was in a bleak independent film..."

An amusing short story. I have a soft spot for Hornby.
Ffiamma
Oct 16, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, uk
non è un romanzo, non è un racconto, è un abbozzo non sviluppato e senza storia né approfondimento dei personaggi- che non andava pubblicato.
(da sottolineare il fatto che in uk sia uscito solo in formato elettronico a 0.99 p, mentre guanda fa pagare l'edizione cartacea 9 euro. la vergogna, questa sconosciuta)
Arthur
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Ok. É bom e dá vontade de ler mais, mas não há mais porque a proposta era ser curto mesmo. Pena. Pena, nada: o livro cumpre bem a proposta. Indicaria. Deu vontade de ler mais contos e novelas da editora.
Matt
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seems like the best start to a Hornby book in years...and then it just ends :(
Siska
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: pop-fiction
It was an interesting storyline, well written, interesting points, but a very weird and abrupt ending, and I happen to just dislike endings like this. It may worth to try other Hornby's books.
Anna
[4.5*]
Sometimes I'm surprised to find out that there is something of Nick Hornby that I haven't read - so it was a pleasant surprise when I found this little gem. It was everything I love about Hornby - straightforward prose, imperfect characters, humor and just realness of the whole thing. It's impressive that he can tackle so many issues in such a short piece of writing - and he tackles them without moralizing or even drawing too much attention to them but you'll see them if you know where to
Simona P.
È un romanzo breve che si snoda in meno di 70 pagine. 3 capitoli che ci parlano della fine di un matrimonio.
Charlie ha sposato una giornalista che, dopo il divorzio, terrà in un giornale una rubrica dal titolo "BASTARDO" rivelando retroscena fastidiosi e piccanti circa il suo ex marito.
Assurdo. Assurda la situazione, assurda la moglie, assurdo il marito, assurda la madre di lui, assurda la nuova conoscenza che si svilupperà grazie alla rubrica.
Un romanzetto carino, che si fa leggere velocement
Alexia
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own-digital
Very interesting and well-written

Hornby is always so good at writing flawed protagonists that think they're far better people than they really are. I loved reading this story and was so disappointed when it ended because I wanted to read more of Hornby's great writing. It really is the mark of a good writer that the protagonist manages to be both entirely unlikeable and also strangely sympathetic at times.
Yersinia Pestis
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Everyone's Reading Bastard (2012)

Pensavo che il mio ebook fosse difettato e gli mancasse il finale - sono andata a controllare: no. Che dire di più
Paul Grech
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general
Read this during an accounting seminar (don't ask) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Quick, entertaining read but not lacking in depth.
Jasmien
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Kort en ok. Niet hilarisch. Zo'n kortverhaal kan grappiger.
Orma
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ora almeno posso dire "non mi piace" con cognizione di causa: ci sono voluti due tentativi e pure al secondo l'ho sorvolato più che leggerlo. La sensazione è di non aver perso nulla.
Computeristgeek
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Again, chose the book for its length but it was surprisingly good. Talks about a bitter ex exposing her husband and how he copes with it. Short, engaging, and fun.
Finished in about 30 minutes.
  • Neurotica
  • Salt and Sawdust
  • In Search of J.D. Salinger
  • The Girl, The Gold Tooth, and Everything
  •  Palm Sunday/Welcome to the Monkeyhouse
  • Lust, Money & Murder (Lust, Money & Murder, #1-3)
  • Brotherly Love
  • Interstate
  • Woman Walks Into a Bar
  • Tiger Lily
  • The Hangman's Replacement: Sprout of Disruption
  • When the Nines Roll Over and Other Stories
  • The Shadow Throne
Nick Hornby is the author of the novels A Long Way Down, Slam, How to Be Good, High Fidelity, and About a Boy, and the memoir Fever Pitch. He is also the author of Songbook, a finalist for a National Book Critics Circle Award, Shakespeare Wrote for Money, and The Polysyllabic Spree, as well as the editor of the short-story collection Speaking with the Angel. He is a recipient of the American Acade ...more
“It was easy to be nice to an attractive woman over a dinner table. The despair came later, with children and tiredness and the sheer drudgery of marriage and monogamy.” 4 likes
“He was hoping that when this was all over, his spiritual overdraft would have been paid off, and he’d be allowed to use the cash machine again.” 3 likes