Start by marking “The Complete Journals of L.M. Montgomery: The PEI Years, 1889-1900” as Want to Read:
The Complete Journals of L.M. Montgomery: The PEI Years, 1889-1900

The Complete Journals of L.M. Montgomery: The PEI Years, 1889-1900

The first edition of The Selected Journals of L.M. Montgomery was published in the 1980s, with fifty percent of the material removed to save space, as well as to reflect a quaint, marketable vision of small-town Canada. The editors were instructed to excise anything that was not upbeat or did not "move the story along." The resulting account of Montgomery's youthful life ...more
Published June 10th 2012 by Oxford University Press

Start your review of The Complete Journals of L.M. Montgomery: The PEI Years, 1889-1900
steph
I liked this. Took me over two weeks to read it, which is quite unusual for me considering I usually finish a book in one or two days but as this was journal entries and mentioned a lot of names, locations and events I found myself needing to put it down and pick it up in order to stay refreshed and not go bug eyed crazy trying to keep track of anyone.

If you are a fan of ANY of Maud's writings, you would enjoy this glimpse into her private life - the good, bad and ugly. Spanning 11 years, she
Francie
Reading Montgomery's journals was interesting and eye-opening. Some incidents can be found in her books, others were rather shocking.

Had I not read an extract about her relationship with Herman Leard in the Lucy Maud Montgomery Album before, I would have been flabbergasted, considering the time and place Montgomery lived.

As this volume spans 11 years, we can see Montgomery and her writing style grow and mature as she experiences joy and pain and phrases universal feelings, that are relatable
Corey
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been a huge fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery ever since I fell in love with Anne of Green Gables when I was 5 years old. Despite reading all of her works (The Blue Castle is my favorite) I never really read up much on Maud herself until after I visited Prince Edward Island in 2006. I saw so many quotes and things about her everywhere I went that I decided to read her journals and picked up the first at the bookstore on the site where her home used to be. I really enjoyed the journals and ...more
Janice
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These journals are a fascinating account of Lucy Maud Montgomery's life as well as life in Canada at that time. What she doesn't say is as interesting as what she does include in her journals. Follow those journals with Mary Rubio's "The Gift of Wings"..who has extensively edited Montgomery's journals
through interviews with friends, relatives and colleagues and has revealed surprising truths about Canada's "Anne" icon.
Sam Morley
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the selected journals years ago, and enjoyed this version much more. It's nice to see LM as a whole person, not just the filtered pieces chosen by an editor. She definitely had her flaws and dark moments, making her much more relatable.
Melissa
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is most interesting to fans of LMM but I think anyone interested in the time period, in journals, or in women's history would enjoy this. It got quite depressing at times but overall it's a remarkable record of her life.
Marisa
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diaries, nonfiction
I grew up reading all of Maud's work and didn't get interested in her personally until I was older, but I'm so glad I took the time to look into the woman behind the classic heroines of Emily and Anne amongst so many others. Her personal writing is vivid and flows easily off the page. Sometimes I found myself wondering why I was reading another person's journals when nothing really happens in them, but then when I stopped and thought about it, Maud had chronicled so much of what she did and all ...more
Rebecca Foutz
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a real treat, to read the journals of L.M. Montgomery. I have read many of her books, and have appreciated them all. Her journal is a true reflection of who she was, and I could often find events that were similar to what I have seen in her books. This journal covered only 11 years, so I am looking forward to reading the next "installment"!
Rebecca
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How has it taken me so long to read Montgomery's journals?! It's such an interesting look into her life and the influences on her fiction. It even reads like some of her novels (particularly the Emily books, to no surprise). I loved it and can't wait to read more.
Floresita
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just wonderful. The seeds of Anne are strewn throughout these journals, and it's best to read them side by side, so all the direct quotes jump out at you. It brings into a tighter focus the creator, and all the darkness and light that she left out of Anne.
Belinda Bertrand
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
it took me a year to read this book. I found it a bit repetitive at some times but I love her books so much that it was interesting to see how she lived.
Katie
Jan 01, 2020
Aanika
Oct 07, 2016
Wynn Anne
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2015
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Blue Castle
  • Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)
  • Emily's Quest (Emily, #3)
  • The Bookshop on the Shore
  • Death and Other Happy Endings
  • The Five Love Languages of Children
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
  • Smoke Screen
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
  • Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm