Start by marking “Duck Boy” as Want to Read:
Duck Boy

Duck Boy

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
His mom disappeared without a trace. Believing his mom abandoned the family, Steve Best can barely function. School is a failure. Home is a disaster. Even his attempt to save a duck from the school bullies led to the nickname he’s dying to forget. When he’s sent to his Great Aunt Shannon’s house for the holidays, he encounters a curious power that lets him travel and trans ...more
Published October 20th 2012 by Bitingduck Press (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Duck Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck Boy

Heidi Gonzalez
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great story about a misfit boy whose world is turned upside down when his mother disappears. His father is distraught and doesn't know how to cope and so the two of them are just floundering through life, until Steve is sent to stay at his Great Aunt's house for Christmas. That's when his world changes.

Through his fantastical adventure to save his mother, his Great Aunt and a new friend Steve finds his inner strength and his self esteem. He learns that he has skills that not everyone e
Mirrani
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This story wasn't exactly what I expected it would be, however I did enjoy reading. The title comes from an event in the main character's past, a moment that actually has very little to do with the story. I wasn't certain that the constant repetition of "Duck Boy" as the reminder of his inadequacies was really what was needed, but it didn't put me off reading.

This is actually the tale of discovering modern alchemy, told as a young boy discovers his true potential. The boy in the story has experi
Maxine
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Fourteen-year-old Steve best is the victim of bullies at school. The problem is only made worse when he tries to rescue a duck frozen in the pond. This act only serves to make him an even bigger laughing stock and earns him the epithet 'duck boy'.

This his mother disappears. His father, who travels for his work, sends him to stay with his eccentric Aunt Shannon. Aunt Shannon is a budding alchemist. When she shows Steve how to transform a clock into a lock with the use of alchemy, Steve becomes ex
Lyuba
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, net-galley
This book was interesting and definitely different, but there were some parts I just couldn't get into. For example, the constant repeating of "Duck boy" as a taunt, which I just didn't feel was that bad of a taunt? I actually didn't really feel that the title reflected the book all that well because of that, since there wasn't that much relation between him being called "duck boy" and what was happening in the book.

However, the whole idea of alchemy and how it tied in with his mother's disappe
Angie Lisle
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
The main character, Steve Best, is bullied at school and then his mom disappears in a magical burst of light. Steve (unwillingly) teams up with his eccentric Aunt Shannon to find his missing mother by using alchemy.

A fantastical story that, at times, feels a bit like a Disney movie in that readers have to suspend their disbelief (I also thought of L'Engle's Time Quintet, though there are no direct references to the series).

There's a couple of passages that read a little rough but the action-pa
7706laurel
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This fantasy book is about a boy named Steve Best. He is unpopular, and struggling in school since his mom vanished. When he visits his aunt over Christmas break she tells him his mom was an alchemist and so is she. Steve and Aunt Shannon embark on an (I feel silly saying this) adventure to find her. People who like fantasy, but not the kind most people like these days with vampires and werewolves, would like this. I thought it was very fun to read and now I'm interested in alchemy.
Missy Clifton
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Young fiction reading...which I almost returned as I didn't realized that. Paring my expectations down, I enjoyed the story of the alchemists, those with interesting and profound powers. In the age of loving Harry Potter's novels, who wouldn't want to be something other than a muggle or mundane? :)
Melissa
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: canadian, library, ebook

Alchemy!
Brianna
I finally read it AND I have a review on my blog: http://abookishescape.wordpress.com/2...

Thanks Uncle Bill! So happy for you :)
Amanda Follmer
Apr 22, 2014
Larissa
Jul 09, 2018
Jenn
rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2012
May
Apr 28, 2016
Joe Armstrong
Sep 28, 2015
Bill Bunn
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Wendy Ogden
Kim
Jun 07, 2017
Netanella
Mar 25, 2018
Bill Bunn is the author of four, soon to be five, books, several essays and articles.

His next Young adult novel, Out on the Drink, will be out this year (2018). He’s published two other young adult novels: Kill Shot, 2015, and Duck Boy, 2012. His published essays were collected and published as Hymns of Home, 2013. In 2003, Moon Canoe, a children’s picture book was published. Moon Canoe translated