Start by marking “Face of the Earth” as Want to Read:
Face of the Earth

Face of the Earth

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Smallpox was wiped off the face of the Earth more than 30 years ago, but an outbreak on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico has claimed one life, and the disease is spreading. The conclusion that the outbreak is the result of a terrorist attack is official U.S. policy, but the facts don't add up to terrorism. Tipped off by a former classmate teaching in Farmington, Sarah ...more
Published April 19th 2012 by GreenPoint Ventures (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Face of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face of the Earth

Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm ... is "Face of the Earth" a medical mystery? Is it a political thriller? Yes - BOTH are true. Douglas & Linda Raber's first novel is a winner in this reader's opinion!

It kept my interest starting at the first chapter, and held it throughout. The authors researched their topics fully, and showed it by including an appropriate quote at the top of each chapter and properly footnoting it - never read a novel with footnotes before. (OK, I think using endnotes would have been a little less
Read Ng
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a GoodRead giveaway. It was an great read.

An excellent first novel from a pair of scientists. Great attention is given to detail. The chain of events are so credible. Yes, it is the first fiction novel I recall reading that is footnoted (and includes a list of references in the back) as you read through the story. Different, but not distracting.

This story was also at the appropriate length. It was not too long. There are the seeds to a great character in Sarah and I wonder with the Rab
Randee Baty
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
How would the government react to an outbreak of smallpox is the question asked and answered in this debut thriller by Doug and Linda Raber. The answer is explosive!

When an outbreak of smallpox occurs on the Navaho reservation in New Mexico, the CDC and the DOD react immediately and quarantine the area. Before the quarantine is complete, a teacher is able to make a call to her friend who is a reporter for the Washington Post. As the reporter investigates, she sees something far bigger than just
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The same day I started reading this book, I was discussing the possibility of a terrorist attack via smallpox in my classroom. How strange.

But anyway - this 4.5 star book should be made into a movie! It has action, a bad ass female protagonist, a historical backdrop, political intrigue, scientific details, and - a little romance and friendship, to boot.

I can see how some readers think the book has too many details. But on the other hand, I believe that those details lend more credibility to th
Excellent !!

1) The totally believiable story flowed well.
2) The characters were realistically portrayed.
3) The plot drew me in...I couldn't put it down.
4) The dangers of our current lack for freedom from surveillance well demonstrated.
Amy Rogers
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
ScienceThrillers REVIEW: Face of the Earth is an indie combination science/political thriller backed up by tons of research on the science and history of biological warfare, and official U.S. policy on bioterrorism. The central premise is revealed very early (perhaps too early, because the reader’s questions about the smallpox outbreak are all answered in the beginning pages). Smallpox virus from the 1940s has survived in a microscope slide collection owned by a private physician. The slides are ...more
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shtf, political
About 100 pages too long and worse.

There is a decent thriller here, though improbable (possible, but unlikely), but oh lordie the details, the details ... It would be one thing if the trails around Mt. Vernon were described in detail just once, but noooo, it repeats. Several instances of repeated, minute detail, as if the writers revised the description (to make it longer) but forgot to delete the original description. Decent editor would've caught this.

Which mainly adds to the pain of the wealt
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if you discovered a major scheme to wage war against Iran with trumped up allegations plotted by a high level ranking official? This was Jake Overman's and Sarah Lockford's job to stop a nuclear war of mass destruction when a lie was cast with a fabrication of terrorist unleashing a smallpox virus in Farmington, New Mexico.........

Jake Overman worked at CDC in Atlanta and was given a command to head to Farmington for a mock chickenpox training only to discover that it was no tr
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book right from the start. I'd give it 5 stars except for two things.
One, the footnotes, while they show that the book is very well researched, and the story is believable, and even possible, I found them to be distracting and unnecessary, the story is just fine without them. The other distraction is the amount of editing errors in the Kindle version. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good, fast-paced, thriller. Great read!
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent story

A Smallpox outbreak occurs and some government members want to immediately attack with nuclear missiles the country they believe is responsible before all the information is known. Not all parts of the story are really believable but with a suspension of skepticism the book can be enjoyed.
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I enjoyed Face of the Earth by Doug Raber and certainly did not want it to end. I could see the two main characters in many more situations in the future. This story line is compelling and addicting, the tale told quickly, but with great detail.
Rhonda Wood
Kimberly Mauldin
Jun 08, 2017
Apr 02, 2016
Linda Raber
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
  • Whiskey Island (Milan Jacovich #16)
  • Survival (Blue Plague, #2)
  • Dark Passage
  • November 22, 1963: Ordinary and Extraordinary People Recall Their Reactions When They Heard the News…
  • How to Write Faster Than Anyone Better, and Better Than Anyone Faster
  • Shadow of the Piper
  • Resurrection Express
  • The Hunting Tree - Book One
  • Jesus at Walmart...the Cost (Jesus at Walmart, #2)
  • Two Deserts
  • The Last Will and Testament of Ernie Politics (Vagrant Mystery Series, #1)
  • To Wander The Labyrinth
  • Rosarito Beach (Kay Hamilton, #1)
  • Over My Live Body
  • Anglotopia's Dictionary of British English: British Slang from A to Zed
  • The Weldon File
  • Traveler (Joshua, #2)
  • Sector C
Doug and Linda Raber spent their careers investigating the interplay of cutting-edge science and U.S. foreign and domestic policy.
After graduating with a bachelor s degree in chemistry from Dartmouth College and a Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Michigan, Doug spent 20 years on the chemistry faculty at the University of South Florida. In 1990, he moved to Washington, D.C., as Dir
More about Doug Raber...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
  • Before I Go to Sleep