Start by marking “The Other Eden” as Want to Read:
The Other Eden

The Other Eden

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Devastated by the death of her beloved grandfather, Eleanor Rose longs for a tranquil haven in which to nurse her grief and concentrate on her music. However, the shocking discovery of a forgotten painting and her growing love for an enigmatic Russian musician draw her into a labyrinth of past and present deception.
Published October 1st 2007 by Snowbooks (first published February 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Eden

Sarah Mac
Well now. That's certainly a bittersweet ending. >___> It's not *quite* relentlessly dark throughout, but it hovers on the fringes of that gloomy ultra-gothic aura o' inescapability, like BLEDDING SORROW or VILLETTE or (most) anything by Anne Rice.

Pretty writing, though. The atmosphere & scenic descriptions were especially good, complete with a great setting & some genuinely unsettling chapters. The family drama was confusing at times, but I always like when decadent, decayed trap
Misfit
Oct 13, 2009 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm not quite sure where this story is going but I am very sure I don't want to go there. The twins are too confusing (names too similar). I'd rather read Mary Stewart.
Sylvia
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3.25 ⭐

This started kind of strange and different than I had anticipated, but the atmosphere quickly grabbed me and pulled me in.

The story is haunting and Sarah Bryant writes very poetric and lyrical, but the end and revelations towards the end left me dissapointed. I think this could be so much more but instead of the supernatural feeling it generated it all fizzled down to nothing.

I also read the words: 'trepidation', 'cries out' and 'torpor' more than one time too many.

It did however interes
Renee Delcourt
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those, "Oooh pretty cover," deals. I bought it because the story sounded interesting, but honestly I figured something with that nice of a cover come on. Every once in a while I'll buy a book for how lovely the artwork is.

Because of this fact though I wasn't sure if this book was going to be all that good honestly.

This book was amazing. It was one of those, biting your nails and reading till the sun is coming up and you don't really care because your about to find out what ghoust
Sandra Danby
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is best described as a Gothic romance/horror story, interleaved with the American South setting in Louisiana and piano music it is an unusual mixture which produces quite a page-turner. I admit to finding the two sisters Eve and Elizabeth confusing at times but that did not interfere with my enjoyment of the story. By the end of the book I was still unsure which sister was which. The description of the two houses, Eden and the house on the hill, are luscious. My one quibble is that I found ...more
Meg
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
It took me a while to get into this book. I don't think that I was in the right place mentally for it. I wasn't enthralled with it. I could put it down. It was interesting and melodic, the music aspects were beautiful for lack of a better word. I also felt sadly lacking in my understanding of piano/music stuff. I felt like I should have known more, felt more, to fully get out of the story what was there for the taking. The twists and turns were good but I felt that knowing the past didn't allow ...more
Sorcha
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Priscilla
This book occurs in an era that I don't typically read. I hat to say it but it was the cover that attracted me to it. The decrepit plantation in the background to be more précises. It did take me awhile to get into the book but about 150 pages in I got pretty hooked and did not want to put the book down. There are indeed some twist, but a part of me feels that the big last twist was kind of reaching it's so out there I almost felt like I was reading from a really early version of Jerry Springer.
Bekki Phillips
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book that kept me hooked in that unputdownable way until the very end. I had so many options running through my mind about the mystery but still got it wrong and still was surprised. I recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery, romance and history. The setting was evocative and the story fit the background beautifully. Sarah Bryant writes well and I will certainly be looking for more books from this author
Nicole Beck
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful prose, flawed yet seductive characters, intricate settings, and an overwhelming sense of crumbling decadence pervades the novel. Bryant's imagery is as fantastically described as her characters' piano pieces. Rather like a modern mixture of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but more luscious than either of them. The ending was somewhat more than unexpected, yet it fit with the entire mood she has worked to create throughout the story.
Joleen
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: would-read-again
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing on what everything was about and though I figured out some of it, I didn't figure out all of it. I would have given it 5 stars but I found the ending a little lacking. Otherwise it was a very good book. I definitely recommend.
Gabriella
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bought-it
I really liked this book despite its ending. There was one point at the story when I really freaked out, and it is really difficult to freak me out with a book. The plot was well written, the only thing I didn't like were the remarks about the future thus suggesting certain things happening soon.
Crysti
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It has so many twists and turns and I never saw the ending coming! Oh my lord it was great.
Jenny
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
gothic romance. a tragedy, but i wasn't so involved that i cared.
Amanda Mahadeo
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best novels I have ever read. I especially enjoyed the ending.
Liliana
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2012-readings
Foi um livro muito interessante de ler, mas as ligações familiares deste enredo são... bem complexas. Aconselho, mas mais como um romance de Verão do que algo para ler nas longas noites de Inverno.
Ginny
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
A very good story with strong writing.
Andrea
Jan 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Don't even know why I picked this up. It was pretty awful. Skipped most of the middle, and read the ending. My mind was not changed. Thoroughly awful.
Ashley
Zoe
Mar 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 01, 2015 04:43PM
  • The Cowboy's Courtship (The Cowboy Series, #5)
  • Moura
  • Tell Me Why
  • The Eden Passion (Eden, #3)
  • Count Toussaint's Baby
  • Girl on a Diamond Pedestal
  • The First Crush is the Deepest (Girls Just Want to Have Fun #1)
  • A Dark and Distant Shore
  • Lost Melody
  • Love at First Note
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • When Venus Fell
  • Blank Slate
  • Amanda/Miranda (YA abridged version)
  • The Lady of the Shroud
  • A Passion for Pleasure (Daring Hearts, #2)
  • Hester Roon
  • The Ripper's Wife
Sarah Bryant (born 1973 in Brunswick, Maine, USA, is a contemporary British based writer.

She attended Brown University in Rhode Island before moving to Scotland in 1996 to study creative writing at the University of St. Andrews. She settled in the UK after meeting her husband and now lives in the Scottish Borders region where along with writing she doubles as a teacher of Celtic harp, and occasion