Start by marking “The Sundered” as Want to Read:
The Sundered

The Sundered (Among the Mythos #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  452 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
(This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B0082D9D3M.)

The world I know is flooded. You don’t go in the water. You don't touch it. If you do, it will get you, drag you down, and you're gone.

Four hundred years ago, the water was still blue.

Four hundred years ago, no one had heard of Sundered Ones or the telepathic "claim" that enslaves them.

Four hundred years ago, human
Published June 29th 2012 by 4th Floor Publication (first published June 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Sundered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sundered

Books Mom
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Wow. Just ... wow.

I can't remember the last time when a book grabbed me from the very start and wouldn't let go. What's really interesting about that little fact is that I can't really explain what it was that made the story so incredibly appealing.

That sounds like a negative, but it isn't. The author did her job with great skill and was completely unobtrusive. We're plopped down in Harry Iskinder's world with little knowledge of ... anything, really. Yet I never felt lost or frustrated by my l
Michelle (True Book Addict)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I decided to join the tour for this book. Before I read the synopsis, I had visions of a horror strewn blood bath. That was before I looked up the meaning of sundered. (sunder--to separate; part; divide; sever) As I began reading, the name made sense. The Sundered Ones in the story are separate from the humans in physical appearance and in power. And as the author stated in her guest post, Harry doesn't really know what their powers are...no human really does. A ...more
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book and it feels broken.

The voice of this book is first person, present tense from the view of a 19 year old boy. That means you don’t get a very elaborate view of this amazingly epic and scarred world. I wanted to know so much more, I wanted to see colors and get to know the characters. Sadly, this never happens.

Harry and his band of Travelers set forth on their journey in very small boats in a world where the water is apparently not only deadly, but vengeful. Thi
Leah Petersen
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ya
Kinda blown away right now. More on this later.

OK, it's later. I'm not going to rehash the back cover copy, so I'll just skip straight to the impact this book had on me. There are movies you watch, works of art you see, poems and books you read that you walk away from going "whoa."

This was one of them for me.

Complete gut-punch-powerful ending that reminded me of the experience of walking away from the big reveal in Ender's Game. (Not for any particular similarity between the stories or situat
J.M. Frey
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Sundered" is a unique, ambitious, thoughtful science fiction that sets up Reid as one of the most unrelenting new writers this year. Reid is a deft hand at dealing with uncomfortable dialogues of survival-versus-morality, and the ethics of owning people.

“The Sundered” is a bold, and courageous first novel – Reid doesn’t back down when the characters get uncomfortable, offering her readers an honest, twisted, and heart-breaking account of the young boy who must decide whether the continued
Amanda Marasco
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a part of several book touring sites for a while now yet this is the first tour I signed up for. Since I feel the responsibility that comes with being a tour host is great, I was really picky in choosing the book's and authors that I would want to represent so personally. Once I saw the synopsis for The Sundered, I knew that this was the book to break me out of my touring shell. I was wildly interested in the plot and could hardly hold myself back to wait to read it closer to tour.

Even
Seyram Butame
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
In all honesty, I have never read a science fiction novel quite like this one. The typical science fiction fantasy that I have been drawn to in recent years, often have a reluctant hero who goes on a mission of self-discovery and at the same time rids the land of some evil and tyrannical figure. This process of purging the evil entity takes place through the use of magic, the use of technology or some combination of the two. The setting is often a dystopian, earth-like planet.

The Sundered follow
Dylan
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The world has changed. No longer are there huge land masses but instead landfall, some big enough to house cities, others just tufts of earth. The water has changed. No longer blue, it’s black and thick, it covers the entire planet, and it kills you if you touch it. The population has changed. Mankind now has slaves: strange, alien creatures, none of which look identical, all of whom have mystical powers. These are The Sundered, claimed by human masters.

Harry Iskinder is a scavenger, criss-cross
MarikaCiarrocchi
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: distopici

I've got a bad habit ... Before I read a book, I have to look at the first and the very last word in it. If they catch me, the book I'm reading gets all my attention. Well, I didn't had the chance to look at the final word of "The Sundered" until I got to its conclusion. The first sentence and the plot caught me first. Once I've started reading I couldn't stop. "The world I know is flooded" says the first line. The water is black, the world is damaged, led by people who needs the help of another
Bruce Mohler
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting this. The Sundered was one of the best Apocalyptic Sci-Fi novels I've read in a long time.

Earth's water has turned black and flooded everything. [This doesn't obviously seem to be a "global warming" novel. Not "Cli-Fi". That's a good thing.]

If you go into the black water, it pulls you under and you die. There's very little land to grow food on. There's very little land period. Cities are built on what little land there is.

In the black water live creatures called "The Sundered"
Amy
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015
This is one of the most entertaining and original books I've read this year. I'm saying nothing about the plot, there's just too much happening and so many mysteries; the ultimate fun is discovering for yourself as the book progresses. The characters were well and appropriately written. I'm really looking forward to the second book. Finally: many thanks to the author for granting such a well-crafted story.
Fashaezzle
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliantly told story! The book needs some editing but the concept was unique, the telling of the story well done, the characters interesting, and the world-building was great. I honestly wasn't expecting to enjoy this book so much. And the ending was poetic. I'll be seeking out more books by this author.
Yorgor
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a 73 YO who has been a fan of science fiction since reading "Moon Ahead" back in the early 50's I would rate "The Sundered" as a winner and hope that there's more to come from Ruthanne. Very engaging story.
Maxine
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A curious tale, which redefined SciFi for me. It's so hard to review this amazing book without giving anything away- so here's some vague reasons why The Sundered gets my 5 stars...

It's not your regular SciFi, the focus isn't techie wow, it's story and character development which makes it so hugely relatable. I cared about them. I needed to know their story.

It's an emotion-bomb. There is heart-twisting slavery and dehumanisation (de-Sunderedisation?) that make you realise how much humans can su
Jake Jeffries
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I also took the time to check out some of the lower reviews on this book to see what they may have been complaining about. While I do agree with some of their complaints, some of the others I think were nit-picky and were about items that I believe could be in such a world as the one outlined in the story.

The book could use a little bit better editing in parts. Harry did handle the heir-bearing all business like at first which was a bit off putting even for me but th
Lena Donan
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
O veľkej literárnej duši tu nemožno hovoriť, ale svojím spôsobom to bol osviežujúci počin. Po premyslení spálim.

edit:

To live on the Earth, where even water is hostile and deadly is doomy. Despite that situation the people are supposed to sail across it, well, for the ones who are looking for the Hope its inevitable. Harry Iskinder and his Travelers are one of these. And maybe the only one. Or not?

It does not mater if you have turned full age or you are almost dead. Nor Harry had a choice, he W
Tahlia Newland
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
I won this book in a give away and when the author contacted me asking for my address, I said that since the postage to Australia would be quite a lot of money, I’d be fine with an ebook version, but she said she wanted to send me a paperback. A week or so later, it arrived. I read the blurb, then put the book down, thinking it sounded interesting. I didn’t think I’d get around to reading it for ages, but being a paperback, it sat on the coffee table shouting, read me, read me, so after dinner I ...more
Lizard
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
In this post-apocalyptic story, humankind finds itself consistently threatened by the same thing that is most critical to their survival -- water. The black water can kill a human on contact, and it's the only water left. For the Sundered Ones, however, the water holds no danger, and this and their other unique abilities has led to humans devising a way to mentally "leash" and enslave them. However the Sundered Ones can be "used up," and when that happens they die. And now even this resource is ...more
Donovan Tracey
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a person who doesn’t typically dive into Fantasy novels, I decided after hearing about this book from a friend to give it a try and see how it would go.

Upon reading the beginning, I was immediately interested, captured by the idea of the world that included the Sundered ones being subservient to human beings, being ranked in tiers depending on their lifespan, intelligence, and capabilities. A majority of the water is blackened and hazardous to people. And through the story we follow Harold “
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed

“The Sundered” by Ruthanne Reid is definitely not a typical post-apocalyptic-style novel. The 'bad water' and creative characters are very creative and well-developed. Even without being commonplace in today's world, they easily come to life through the well-written descriptions.

I was apprehensive, at first, when I saw that this book was written in first person, present tense, but it was masterfully done and added an extra layer or two to the story –as well as making the reader/ character bon
Logan Moline
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was extremely pleased with this offering from Ruthanne Reid!

Something avid readers have known for quite some time (yet publishers can't quite grasp) is that simply having a teenaged protagonist does NOT automatically make a novel Y.A. Harry Iskinder sounds young because, well he is young. He has all the surety and conviction you would expect from a teen who knows the shape of the world (or thinks he does), and all the insecurities that same young man so desperately tries to hide. There were ti
Pavarti Tyler
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, for-review
Disclaimer I received a copy of this book I'm exchange for an honest review.

The Sundered is a surprisingly engaging and complex novel. From the first paragraph you are pulled into a world where Nothing is quite the way it should be. Friends aren't loyal, the water is trying to kill you, and the people, well, the humans are pretty recognizable but the Sundered Ones... they're something you'll never imagine.

Completely original the story line of The Sundered is captivating and engaging. While the b
Critique de Book
Title: The Sundered
Author: Ruthanne Reid
Genre: Science Fiction
Publisher: 4th Floor Publication (May 10, 2012)
Available: $2.99 at Amazon
Rating: 5 stars
Rater: Dihanna

From the publisher:
Harry Iskinder knows the rules: don't touch the water, or it will pull you under. Conserve food, because there's no arable land. Use Sundered slaves gently, or they die too quickly to be worthwhile.
The problem is, the Sundered Ones are dying out, and humanity is running out of time.
With extinction on the horizon, H
Bard Bloom
The Sundered (Among the Mythos #1) by Ruthanne Reid is a serviceable but tremendously bleak YA novel. Earth is covered almost entirely with water, and it is a terrible black water that will drag you down and drown you if you touch it. The remaining humans live in a few nearly-island cities, or on boats. Survival would be impossible without the Sundered, who are horrible black-aquatic quasi-human creatures in an endless variety of shapes, with moderate magic powers -- including the ability to deb ...more
Michelle Randall
Reviewed for Reader's Favorite

Water is no longer blue, it's black and it's dangerous. Not only is it dangerous, but it covers most of the world. The world is inhabited by the humans and those they can The Sundered. The Sundered come from the water, but can be controlled by the human mind. It can be difficult, but they have to be harnessed for humanity to live in this world. Ruthanne Reid weaves a story of co-dependency and mutual distrust. The humans need the sundered to grow food and survive on
Becky
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans
Recommended to Becky by: Meaghan
Shelves: to-reread
I read this book in two weeks. Yes, that's slower than the week it took me to read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire but I'm not a carefree teenager anymore. Nowadays it normally takes me months to read a book. I couldn't put this one down though. I had Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter checked out from the library after being in queue for months, but let it expire because I started reading The Sundered and couldn't not read it.

This book is a sci-fi of sci-fis (okay, without the robots, but I'm
Leslie Lowdermilk
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Although I only gave this book 3 stars, it was because of the writing style, not the content. I just wasn't wild about the way the story was told. I wish I could be more specific but it's just one of those things that I can't put my finger on - it just didn't jive with the way I like books to flow.

Having said that, the content was great. The ending was a complete surprise! No spoilers here - you'll have to read it to find out but I for one, never saw the ending turning out the way it did.

Anothe
Kate Lansky
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I flew through this. I can't remember the last time I read such an original feeling book. It was so refreshing and kept me quickly turning pages, to the point that when I glanced down and saw my Kindle said I only had about 30 minutes left, I got sad.

The book opens on a small group of Travelers - individuals who scour the wastelands of the world for anything and everything that might be of use. They travel in small boats over dark and deadly waters. So much as touch those waters, and they will
Kendra Le
Ruthanne Reid's novel The Sundered drew me in from the very beginning, with its compelling characters and innovative world-building. Harry was quite well-developed, and the complicated relationship between him and Aakesh had me not wanting to put down the book. This is one of the more compelling relationships in science/speculative fiction that I've read in several years.

Reid's prose is detailed without bogging the reader down in too many details, and the way she lets readers find out about this
Masquerade Crew
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BARBARA G'S REVIEW

5 STARS

“The Sundered,” is an amazing Science Fiction novel, written by Ruthanne Reid. I have to say, it was surprisingly enticing and delicious book, from page 1. Harry Isinger is the last of a long line of “Travelers”. Aakesh is a Sundered unlike any known. Noble, proud and with an ethos that makes Harry wonder who is the Sundered and who is the Master, you care deeply about both characters. The mystery that ties Harry and Aakesh together drew me in from the start, compelling
Have you read The Sundered? Got Questions? See them answered in print! 1 7 May 23, 2013 02:24PM
  • Endless (Crescent, #1)
  • Elements of the Undead Omnibus (Elements of The Undead #1-3)
  • SILVER: Acheron (A River of Pain) (The Amaranthe Chronicles, #1) (Silver, #1)
  • The Soul Consortium
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Little Deadly Things
  • Walker
  • The Regulars
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Time Walker (Spirit Bound #1)
  • Word and Breath (Wordless Chronicles, #1)
  • Fallacy (Rewritten #1)
  • Girl Under Glass (Glass and Iron Series, #1)
  • Windigo Soul
  • The Game
  • The Millennial Sword
  • Virtually True
  • Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)
Ruthanne Reid currently lives in Phoenix, Arizona, though she's also lived in Seattle, New Hampshire, Southern California, and Pennsylvania. Some say she really lives in her head. They'd be right.
More about Ruthanne Reid...

Among the Mythos (5 books)
  • The Christmas Dragon
  • Strings
  • Half-Shell Prophecies
  • Seed (Among the Mythos)