Start by marking “The Warrior's Soul (The Year of the Dragon, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior's Soul (The Year of the Dragon, #2)

The Warrior's Soul

(The Year of the Dragon #2)

An ancient empire stands on the brink of a civil war.
Their quest may push it over the edge.

It is the Seventeenth Year of Queen Victoria's enlightened rule. The Qin Rebellion spreads dangerously close to the old capital and only the remainder of the Second Regiment of Royal Marines stands between the rebel army and the vital trade port of Huating.

In Yamato, after a mysterio
ebook
Published August 1st 2012 by Flying Squid (first published July 28th 2012)

Start your review of The Warrior's Soul (The Year of the Dragon, #2)
Andrew Lawston
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Warrior's Soul is the second volume of James Calbraith's Year of the Dragon series, and continues its tale of adventure in an alternative 19th Century Japan. Westerner Bran is still hiding from the authorities in Yamato, but now he must find his dragon which has been captured. He sets out with cross-dressing samurai Sato and apprentice priestess Nagomi. Meanwhile a demon samurai tortures Sato's father in an effort to find the fugitives.

The book is such a seamless continuation of the first vo
Barbara
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just finished it yesterday night... for the last nights I found it really hard to lay my kindle aside and go to sleep :-)
Now I'm just a bit sad that the next book is not yet out...
I like the mix or "clash" of the western and eastern cultures in the book. As with the first book I loved the carefully added steampunk elements, the mix of technologie and magic.
Thomas
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like it better the first book in the series, because we get deeper into the Story without the need to introduce the different characters.

We follow Bran, Nagomi and Sato on their way through Yamato, in hope to find Brans Dragon and answers what truly is happening. And we also learn that there are powers that are quite interested in Bran and they don't have good intentions. Furthermore we see a full fledged war errupting in Qin, that hinders Bran's father to search for his son.
Cristina Higgins
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Building on the 1st books story and keeps on building.
Matt Kelland
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not as good as the first one, though I get the sense it's setting up for more interesting stuff to happen in the next book.
Tessa
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Last month I started the ride through Yamato with the review of James Calbraith’s The Shadow of Black Wings. This week I’ll treat you to the sequel, The Warrior’s Soul. There will be spoilers to the first book and minor spoilers for this one. You’ll still be able to enjoy reading The Warrior’s Soul after reading this review.

At the start of the second book in the Year of the Dragon series, our protagonists Bran and Sato are fugitives. They have to leave Kiyo, Sato’s home town, as soon as possible
Vered
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bran, Sato and Nagomi are back in this unusual story that blends historical fiction, set in imperial Japan, with fantasy, dragons and a touch of magic. The Warrior’s Soul picks up where The Shadow of Black Wings leaves off. Bran is in mortal danger and disguised as a Samurai, he flees with Sato and Nagomi in search of his lost dragon. Evil however is close behind and at ever turn. James Calbraith does a wonderful job at weaving fact and fantasy into an alternative but very realistic history that ...more
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
The second book in the Year of the Dragon series picks up where the first one left off. Our heroes must leave on a journey to find Bran's dragon, and Sato's father. There's also a lot of political intrigue going on...a lot more than I had expected from a fantasy series.

Because this book doesn't have to set up the entire world like the first one did, there's a lot more Japanese culture that comes through. That was a lot of fun to read.

I should maybe have reread the first book before I started thi
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragon, steampunk
Another ending where nothing is tied up at all. It's more like a serial (continued next week....) than the ending of a book.

I like how Nagomi learned to value her powers at the end. She's so quiet that I think she's undervalued.

It's hard to tell how many groups are after the trio. There's definitely action and suspense, but so far there's not one unified group of bad guys. I can't even tell if there are only 2 groups of bad guys.

The interaction of Bran and Shigemasa is interesting. Up to the mid
Darren Fuller
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book does an excellent job picking up from the first and setting up the next. It carries you with it as the relationships between the characters grows and the seperate threads start to intertwine.

Can't wait to start the next one now
L.T. Getty
Review to come; I don't like writing much on my phone.
Seema Parakkat
It is a very intriguing and captivating fantasy novel. For a while I truly believed I was in a world of dragons and magic.
Kat
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
See my review of book 1 of this series.
John Ward
Sep 23, 2012
Gabby Tancredi
Jan 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
  • The Witch Next Door Complete Series Omnibus: An Urban Fantasy Action Adventure
  • The Secret Daughter
  • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl
  • The Devil (The Ravenglass Chronicles #15)
  • The Enigmatic Lady in the Ivory Tower: A Historical Regency Romance Novel
  • Firebolt (The Dragonian, #1)
  • Venom (The Dragonian, #1.5)
  • The Last Vampire Complete Series Omnibus: The Girl Behind The Wall, The Girl in The Back Row, The Girl With a Secret, The Girl in Plain Sight, The Girl Unleashed...
  • The Fairhaven Chronicles Boxed Set: The Complete Series: Glow, Shimmer, Ember, Nightfall
  • The Star (The Ravenglass Chronicles #17)
  • The Tower (The Ravenglass Chronicles #16)
  • Blood Magic Box Set (Blood Magic #1-6)
  • Sins of the Fathers: The Complete Trilogy: (An Epic Fantasy Box Set)
  • Fox Blood (Moon Marked, #3)
  • Shadow Wolf (Moon Marked, #2)
  • Wolf of Wessex
James Calbraith is a Poland-born British writer, foodie and traveller.

Growing up in communist Poland on a diet of powdered milk, Lord of the Rings and soviet science-fiction, he had his first story published at the ripe age of eight. After years of bouncing around Polish universities, he moved to London in 2007 and started writing in English. His debut historical fantasy novel, "The Shadow of Blac

The Year of the Dragon (8 books)
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • The Islands in the Mist (The Year of the Dragon #3)
  • The Rising Tide (The Year of the Dragon, #4)
  • The Chrysanthemum Seal (The Year of the Dragon #5)
  • The Withering Flame (The Year of the Dragon, #6)
  • The Shattering Waves (The Year of the Dragon, #7)
  • The Last Dragon King (The Year of the Dragon, Book 8)