Start by marking “Shadow on the Sun (Hell's Cross, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadow on the Sun (Hell's Cross, #3)

Shadow on the Sun

(Hell's Cross #3)

Durango has always relied on Mimi--once his tough-as-nails squad leader, she is now the bitingly sarcastic artificial intelligence flash-cloned to his brain. Mimi is the only reason he is alive.

Durango has always looked out for his beautiful and brave second-in-command, Vienne--now wounded, crushed, missing. Vienne is the only reason he wants to live.
Durango hasn't always
Published March 26th 2013 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Shadow on the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow on the Sun

Daniel Shellenbarger
I haven't reviewed any of this series yet, although this is the final volume, so I'll just say that the series as a whole plays like a cross between Red Faction (in its setting: a post-colonized Mars that's not fully terraformed and a total political dystopia) and Seven Samurai (in its plot, especially in the first book: a group of outcast warriors protecting a group of penniless miners) with some Mad Max (and half a dozen video games, starting with Crysis (symbiotic armor) and Halo (AI companio ...more
Stacy
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is hands down the best one in the series – from the rocket fueled pacing to the witty, spot on banter to the tender moments of true love.

The heart and soul of this book (the series) are the characters. Each one has a strong voice that instantly connects with the reader and draws them in.

Durango (a.k.a. Jacob Stringfellow) – The Alpha Dog hero. The heartthrob. The good guy who wants to do the right thing even if it puts himself in harm’s way. Total badass. My “badass” point is proved m
Wendy
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Recommendations
"Shadow on the Sun" is a fast-paced, heart-stopping science fiction novel that opens in Fisher 4 where Sturmnacht troops have been deployed to overrun the mines. Fuse, a former Regulator is forced to hide his pregnant wife and her mother while he goes for help.

The story then shifts to Christchurch where Vienne a disgraced Regulator recuperating from life threatening wounds is seeking penance in service to a monastery while she waits for her partner Durango to return. She doesn't know that he's b
Skip
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Durango and Vienne are separated and neither is sure where the other one is. Durango is being chemically manipulated by his father, the tyrannical leader of Mars using the name General Lyme. Vienne is wandering around, eventually returning to the monastery with refugee children when she is recruited to assist in a rescue mission. Mimi, Durango's AI conscience, keeps being shut down, but Lyme has succeeded in creating his own version Dolly, who is helping guide Lyme's war to preserve his dictator ...more
Lydia
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Don't waste your time.

This book was exceptionally boring. The pacing was very slow. None of the characters really had any agency due to the unnecessary twists. The author even called out his own MacGuffin. Why though? Why would you do that? This book is just so poorly written. Again, there is foreign language used and if you bother to look up what the words mean, they make ZERO sense. Sure, curses in other languages sometimes sound weird to outsiders, but I could not find context for the majori
amandra
Not a huge fan of the trilogy although Mimi was entertaining.
Gisele Thomson
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
Loved the series. Loved the humour threaded throughout. it's what kept me reading. it taught me the power of humour to keep a reader coming back.
Victoria
David
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
Sacre merde! Durango is in the clutches of General Lyme. Daddy has his cyborg experimental soldier/Son under control and ready to do his bidding. If that isn't enough, Mimi has been cloned to control the General's forces all over the planet, and his Sturmnacht are hard at work terrorizing and enslaving. From his power center in the heights of Olympus Mons ===

Here I must digress, for Father and Son Stringfellow are not quite Chronos and Zeus, and this titanic struggle can't be given a one to one
GrumpyCap
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
+ more action, still doesn't get boring (couldn't lay it down and read it in one night)
+ better than the last part
+ Mimi (by far my favourite)
+ We see some old characters again

- the climax was reached in the last few pages, only a little more than one page dedicated to the "aftermath"... You actually have no idea about the consequences and it feels like a lot of questions remain unanswered (as if the other didn't have time/space/motivation left to tie up some lose ends)
- seems like he didn't kno
David
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
CJ
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Shadow on the Sun" by David Macinnis Gill is a Goodread's Giveaway First-Reads. Even though it is the third book in the Hell's Cross series, it stands on it's own very well. I didn't get the opportunity to read the first two stories, but had no trouble following the story in this novel. It is about Durango (who has a computerized download of his former squad leader, Mimi, in his consciousness), searching for the squad's second-in-command and his love interest, Vienne. Durango's father, Lyme (li ...more
Jana
5 warm & gooey chocolate chip cookies.

Cover Love:
This cover tells a lot of the story. I don't really love how Vienne looks, but it fits the other covers in the series. Plus I love how Durango looks!

Why I Wanted to Read This:
I read and adored the other two books in this series and really wanted to know how it ended!

Romance?: They are separated for most of the books but there is a lot of longing for each other between Vienne and Durango.

My Thoughts:
Shadow on the Sun was a very satisfying concl
Barbara ★
This is my least favorite in the series. Durango and Vienne spend almost the entire book apart and not even searching for each other. They stumble upon each other within the last 50 pages or so and then the story is over. Strange.

Six months have passed since the events of the last book. Durango is being held prisoner by his father and basically tortured and Vienne is back at the Monastery after escaping from her own hell.
Vienne takes a mercenary job to help free slaves in the mine at Hell's Cro
John
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the most purely plot-driven action-adventures I've ever read. The downside is that the characters are static, unchanging and typecast (particularly the bad guys)---but wow, in compensation you get a breathlessly paced tale chock full of violence, explosions, gunfire, butt-kicking and general mayhem leading to a climax that packs in even more. I think that the humorous elements--particularly the Three Stooges style mercenaries self-dubbed the Koumanov Brothers, and the interchanges between ...more
P.M.
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Jacob Stringfellow, a.k.a. Durango, has been captured by his father who wants to turn him into a mindless super soldier. Meanwhile Vienne is back at her monastery doing penance for all the things she feels needed redemption. Durango shakes off his shackles and steals a secret weapon and Vienne takes a job as a mercenary. Both converge on the mines at Hell's Cross where the final battle will be fought. This book was all right. The chapters with all the computerspeak went right over my head. I gue ...more
Brian Muldowney
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I received "Shadow on the Sun" as a Goodread's Giveaway. I have not read the previous two books in the series but I had no trouble following the story. It was a classic good vs evil story line with plenty of action and good parallel plot-line.

I thought it was a quick read, hard to put down once I got into it. It usually take me 50-100 pages to get into a book. This was no different. He did a good job with character development even though this was the third book in the series - I was able to ide
C.O. Bonham
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shadow on the sun is the final book in the Hell's Cross series by David Macinnis Gill.

The opening of this novel finds our heroes in pretty hopeless situations.

But through perseverance, luck and shear kick buttery . . . they manage to make their situations even worse.

This story was so amazing. For fear of going on and on and dropping major spoilers, I'm not saying anything else. Except I wish there was another one.
Chris
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This series is Hunger Games with a sense of humor. As the last book in the series, Shadow on the Sun continues the break-neck action established in the first two novels. Gill creates interest, tension, and action in this SF set on a future Mars, and he manages to work in clever dialogue and humor.
Veronica Keeney
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just a fun,high powered series.The book starts off with Durango and Vienne separate.Along their quest for each other,we meet new characters like the Koumanovs.Old characters are incorporated as well.Some are a bit stereotypical,but the fast paced story line is enjoyable.I think a good series for teens.
Lianne
Not my favorite of the three, probably because Durango and Vienne are separated throughout most of the book. And why were so many new characters introduced so close to the end of the series? Will they be included in something new?

The ending was a little abrupt, but that is in keeping with the roller coaster nature of this series.
Janie
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't know why more people haven't seen or read these books. I seriously don't understand. This novel is the third and last of the series, and I was thrilled when I first heard about it. A year after it was published. Unfortunately, all together, it seemed kind of rushed. Alas. More later. I'm distracted.
Jess
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Until about 100 pages from the end, I would have given it four stars, but even with the pace, it started getting a little tedious to me and I started to skim a bit.

But really, the best thing about this book was Mimi. Though there was something that happened toward the end that I didn't completely understand.
Karen Chan
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Had a hard time imaging everything because so much was going on, but I think it was because I was reading too fast. Also I barely recalled the previous books.... But I love the banter between Durango and everyone else, as I always have :D plus I know more swears in other languages, which I pretty awesome. I'll definitely read more of author's work!
Maggie V
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great finish to the series. I enjoyed the alternate points of view and bringing everything together. The end felt a little like a video game only in that the fights and the bad guys increased in strength and weaponry (like how you have to fight the little monsters to get to the big baddie or Boss). However, it was fun.

Definitely a good series, and I've already recommended it to a teen.
Ellen
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Space cowboy Durango, AI sidekick Mimi and kickass love interest Vienne are back for round 3 in this continually excellent & exciting sci fi series. A slightly less cheesy cover than #2, but may still turn off the intended YA boy audience.
Ashley
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hm. Interesting. Especially the use of present tense. Threw me off at first until I got used to it.
I'll admit I was a bit confused for the first couple of chapters, but it would probably help if I read the first two books of the series first :P
Brigitta
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Loved it! A fantastic and action packed ending to an awesome series!

On my second three day re-read of the series: I just love, love, love this series! So funny and exciting. Amazing characters with a kick butt plot. I would highly recommend to any sci-fi fans.
Lea
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fingers crossed for more Durango and Vienne one day.
Abby
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
What a fun, action-packed trilogy!

• The Order of Odd-Fish
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • In the Path of Falling Objects
  • Starcross (Larklight, #2)
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • The Golden Transcendence (Golden Age, #3)
  • Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
  • The Lost Compass (The Fog Diver, #2)
  • Fall from Grace
  • Hippolyta and the Curse of the Amazons (Young Heroes, #2)
  • Bridle the Wind (Felix Brooke, #2)
  • Ghosting
  • Tell
  • The Dark Shore (The Atlanteans, #2)
  • The Goblet
  • Space Rocks!
  • Alex and the Ironic Gentleman (Alex and the Ironic Gentleman, #1)
David Macinnis Gill is the author of the award-winning novels Black Hole Sun and Soul Enchilada, both from Greenwillow/Harper Collins. His short stories have appeared in several magazines, including The Crescent Review and Writer’s Forum. His critical biography of young adult author Graham Salisbury, Graham Salisbury: Island Boy, was published by Scarecrow Press. He holds a bachelor’s degree in En ...more

Hell's Cross (3 books)
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • Invisible Sun (Hell's Cross, #2)