Start by marking “Swept Away (Trouble in Texas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swept Away (Trouble in Texas, #1)

Swept Away

(Trouble in Texas #1)

Swept away when her wagon train attempts a difficult river crossing, Ruthy MacNeil isn't all that upset at being separated from the family who raised her. All they've ever done is work her to the bone. She prayed for a chance to get away, and then came the raging flood. Alive but disoriented, she's rescued by Luke Stone... so unfortunately, there are more chances to die in ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Swept Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swept Away

Jessica Wolf
DNF at 17%: I am becoming increasingly more and more picky as I read the Christian fiction genre. I long to read a Christian book that has a good message, but is, almost more importantly, good. So many times I start reading a book only to find it's written poorly but is heralded as wonderful simply because of the good message.

Swept Away was completely uninteresting and bland. Luke didn't feel like a true character to me. He spoke so often and moved the plot forward with his long speeches he was
Beth
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a child, Ruthie MacNeil was taken in by a local farm family when her Ma and Pa died. This family was cruel and abusive, using Ruthie as a slave. Smart and a quick learner, Ruthie adapted to her environment and became a survivor. On a wagon train trek across the west, her adopted family and Ruthie are swept away by a flood. Ruthie trapped in the planking of the wagon ended up unconscious on a river bank in Texas.

Luke Stone was heading home to reclaim his family farm. A scoundrel, Greer, claims
Nicole
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
The plot for this book was really good. It was intense and well thought out, though a bit much at times as far as the villain went, and a bit romantic in several scenes (but I guess that's the point of a romantic-western-comedy, so...). I liked how she connected it to the Kincaid Brides series. It wasn't my favorite Connealy, but I would enjoy reading the rest of the series. I feel bad giving a book such a low rating when I did enjoy it, but sometimes I just have to go with my gut-ratin
Jerry
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable Western.
Anne Campbell
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have I ever told you how much I love this author's writing? Mary Connealy combines a grin-inducing sense of humor with a knack for creating a page-turning historical romance.

This one is about an orphaned girl raised by a harshly critical family planning to marry this hard-working virtual slave off to their son--a greedy-eyed slithering skunk of a man. Ruthy prays for a chance to escape as they travel westward. A flood answers her prayers, washing their wagon and the rest of the family down a ra
Diana Montgomery
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Swept Away
By: Mary Connealy

Wasn’t sure about if I would like this book or not. I am not a big western type reader. Wow Mary Connealy changed my mind. I think of westerns I think of cussing , romances that go to far. I love the clean view that Mary did.
Adventure throughout the book. It will keep you wanting to read so have plenty of time when you start. Starts off with Ruthy MacNeil getting separated from her family. Well people who took her n when her parents had died. I would say it was a bless
Karen Witemeyer
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was another fun western adventure from Mary Connealy. It reminded me a bit of those old Louis L'amour westerns. Hard men facing harsh circumstances. There were a lot of characters to keep up with as she set up her new series, but there was plenty of action to keep the pages turning, especially for the last 70 pages or so. I felt the romance took a bit of a backseat, but I loved the concept of these men bonded in friendship/brotherhood because of their shared experiences as Regulators in the ...more
Shannah Mauney
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewd-on-blog
I had forgotten how funny and entertaining Mary Connealy's stories can be! This one pulled me in from the time Ruthy gets swept away in a flood and kept me hooked until the very last page. With witty dialogue, an action packed story, and God's reminder that revenge belongs to Him, this is another fantastic story by Mary Connealy! View my full review here.
Kathryn Cooper
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good audio book! I had a hard time remembering the many characters' names because names have become hard to remember. Having a Brain Tumor before and after surgery made names VERY difficult for me to remember. The story was great though. It might have been easier with the names if I was reading the book because then I could have written notes about the characters. I'll definitely listen to book 2 in this series. I want to hear the next part of this story!
Jasmine
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OK, so I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first, I mean it looked and sounded like a light historical book without much substance. Well, I was definitely WRONG about that!
What I thought I was getting: Fluffy historical romance.
What I actually got: A wonderful western!

I will step on some toes and irritate a few people here, but I feel that generally speaking women can't write westerns very well. And so often Christian authors miss the boat, eerrr wagon, on writing good western storie
Nora St Laurent
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’m thankful for a review copy of a book that reminded me of the movie Silverado. It has a great cast of characters mixed together with an action packed western just like the movie. Inside Swept Away you’ll see the good, the bad, and the ugly up-close and personal!

I enjoyed the leading man and woman in this story. They made me smile! I truly cared for their situations and enjoyed how Luke and Ruthy found each other. It was a definite divine appointment.

Luke Stone is on a mission to bring justice
Leah
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I was swept right into the story of Swept Away when I started reading the book.
Ruth is living with the Reinhardts, a family who has raised her. She is promised to be married to their son, yet they treat her like their slave, forcing her to do all their work. When their wagon was crossing a river, a huge wave came and swept them down the river. Ruth has escaped the family and she doesn’t regret it. She still lives in fear of them finding her, even though they are probably dead. However, when Luke
Joleen
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western-romance
Well, shoot! I wanted to like this book, I really did.
I think the problem is I've read literally hundreds of books in this genre that unless it's truly exceptional writing or plot, I don't seem to really enjoy them. I clearly need to switch to another type of book.
Don't get me wrong, I think for people who only read a few books a year, and haven't read as many of books that I have, I think this would be a good book. I would have loved this book 10 years ago. I've changed, and the books all seem
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
Full review here: http://www.overweightbookshelf.com/20...

When I pick up a Mary Connealy book, I know what I'm going to get even before I crack the cover: a quirky western romantic comedy with a predictable character and plot arc. But I get lassoed in every time by her spunky heroines and stubborn heroes, even if there isn't a great distinction between the new and old characters. Mary uses the same tried and true ingredients with a different presentation, which is a guarantee for a consistently
Maureen Timerman
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
From the title of the book Ruthy MacNeil is the one swept away. She is dragged for miles down stream by a flash flood. Having her arm wedged in some wood saved her life.
Luke Stone is on his way home to redeem his property, when he stumbles upon a muddy mess of a girl, Rosie aka Ruthy. Because of her beautiful red hair Luke insists on calling her Rosie!! Others do also, but she is quick to correct them.
A vicious man by the name of Flint Greer, has stolen the S Bar S Ranch that was owned by his Fa
Dora Hiers
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In my humble opinion~
Ruthy MacNeil is a hard worker, and her "adoptive" family takes advantage of that. They also intend for her to marry their son once they reach their destination. Ruthy's not so fond of that idea, or the family, and is looking for an escape when the wagon she's steering gets swept away (don't you just love the title?) from the train. Luke Stone refuses to leave her behind, even if it means hauling her into the middle of his fight to win back his ranch. Both characters, along
Melina
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. It was action packed from the very start. I'm not much on Western's, but I love Mary Connealy's writing.

Luke is on his way to reclaim his father's ranch that was stolen by a ruthless rancher. Ruthie is on a wagon-train headed to California with a family that expects her to marry their son, when they get caught in a flash flood. Luke finds Ruthie on his way to Broken Wheel and has no choice but to take her with him. They arrive at his friend Dare's house. Luke, Dare,Vin
Regina Jennings
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Multi-tasking must be one of Mary's particular skills because she's got a lot going on here. Not only is this an action-packed book, but Connealy has laid the ground work for a rip-roaring series.

Luke Stone has returned to Texas with revenge on his mind. The man who killed his father has taken possession of the Stone family ranch and Luke aims to rectify the situation. But before he gets to Broken Wheel he stops to pull Ruthy MacNeil out of a river.

Ruthy isn't upset that she was swept away from
Brittany
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Swept Away is a great piece of romantic, western fiction. It is a wild ride, has some light-hearted moments and definitely delivers on the happily ever after.

Luke Stone heads back to his family ranch to avenge his father and take up on the land that is rightfully his. On his way home, he comes upon Ruthy MacNeil, who had been swept away in a flood while her wagon train attempted a crossing.

Luke and Ruthy are such likeable characters. There is an attraction between the two of them that is easy t
Heather Harden
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I got swept up in the excitement of 1886 Texas. This is a western adventure that I wanted to ride along with from page one until the end. Luke and Ruthy must survive corrupt lawmen, lecherous family, a flood, and a land rustling villain and his gang to save not only their future but the future of the town. The characters are tough as leather but still vulnerable and real. I was invested in not just Luke and Ruthy but the entire town of Broken Wheel. Usually I feel a bit sad when a book ends, eve ...more
Teresa Snyder
Absolutely loved this book! It reminded me of Mary's older books. I preordered book 2 in the series before I even finished reading book 1. Mary is an awesome writer. She is able to tell a story without a lot of unnecessary fluff.

The two main characters in this book, Luke and Ruthy, are very likable. Ruthy is an adorable little spit fire, who can out do most me; and does. Luke is an honest, God fearing man determined to right a wrong with the assistance of his friends.

The "friends" are equally
Colletta Miller
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-done
I was really looking forward to reading this book. I love series and especially the first book of a new series.

It started off great! Very fast paced and moving right along. Then it slowed down considerably. There was a lot of introduction to new characters that I felt could have come along more organically through the book. I realize that these characters are probably being set up for the next books in the series but it really put a drag on action.

It did pick back up and was enjoyable even thoug
Margaret Tidwell
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
This book hooked me from the first page and kept me going until I finished it and even after I finished it I was sad that it was over because I really loved the characters. I can't wait to read the other books in this series because I love this one so much. I loved the main characters and the author does such a good job at making you feel like you are there with the characters in the story.
Laura Jean
Generally, not my cup of tea, but I enjoyed it despite myself. I liked the amount of humor that the author wove into the fabric of the story. I liked that the female protagonist was pretty tough and not a shrinking violet.
Melinda
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My first Mary Connealy book, and goodness...it made me an instant fan of her writing.
Chrissy
DNF at 37%. I was just too bored reading this. Whatever action the story had was told after the fact. Ruthy’s family dying, the Reinhardts kidnapping her, Greer stealing Stone’s ranch and killing Stone’s father - any of that would have been far more interesting. But the characters just talk about it after the fact. No action or anything exciting. Stone talks about getting his ranch back, but that’s it. Also, very little chemistry between Ruthy and Stone. She’s just annoyed by him, but she has to ...more
Diane
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The action moved at a good pace; it was lively without feeling rushed. I appreciated that the romance was very mild; no one being discussed as 'hot' and not a lot of time spent drooling over each other. It was more of a natural attraction and seeing where it went. It was clean and sweet, not steamy.

I was disappointed in one area. This book was shelved as inspirational fiction. God was mentioned, but there wasn't much mention or consideration of Him as a part of the characte
Yvonne P Butler
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luke and Ruthy

Luke returned from the war, after he was captured and put in prison, when he, with his friends. He was headed home to reclaim his ranch and find out who !killed his pa. He found Richie on a board in a over flowing river. Where did she com from? Be could nowt just leave her there. Read and you could laugh or sometimes cry. Loved this book! It's a western, lots of violence (shooting) no had words.
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. And that surprised me. It moves too fast in some places and too slow in others and there's really no building of a relationship, and the book is mostly about revenge. And yet it somehow managed to be an uplifting story of justice and love. Somehow. Though I'm not sure it really earned a spot in the Christian fiction genre. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series even though why I liked this book so much still confuses me a bit.
Billie Linam
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

The characters are developed and the book leaves you wanting to know what happens to the other men in the story. The descriptions of the Texas landscapes allow you vividly see where they are trying to carve out a living. Such good friend make you eager to read the next book in the series.

• A Bride for All Seasons
  • Stealing the Preacher (Archer Brothers, #2)
  • Love in the Balance (Ladies of Caldwell County, #2)
  • The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises, #2)
  • A Noble Groom (Michigan Brides, #2)
  • Trouble in Store
  • The Bartered Bride Collection
  • Sweet Sanctuary (Sweet Sanctuary, #1)
  • The Heart's Pursuit
  • A Texan's Choice (Heart of a Hero, #3)
  • The Journey of Josephine Cain (American Tapestries)
  • Finally a Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #3)
  • A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction, #3)
  • Love at Any Cost (The Heart of San Francisco, #1)
Mary Connealy writes romantic comedy with cowboys always with a strong suspense thread. She is a two time Carol Award winner, and a Rita, Christy and Inspirational Reader's Choice finalist.
She is the bestselling author of 48 books and novellas.
Her most recent three book series are: Cimarron Legacy, Wild at Heart, Trouble in Texas, Kincaid Bride for Bethany House Publishing. She’s also written fo

Trouble in Texas (3 books)
  • Fired Up (Trouble in Texas, #2)
  • Stuck Together (Trouble in Texas, #3)
“wagon” 0 likes
“I’d like to go down and arrest them just for being this stupid.” There oughta be a law, no doubt about” 0 likes