Start by marking “Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation” as Want to Read:
Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation

Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation

This is the first comprehensive book ever written on the sacred aspects of indigenous, historical psychotropic and herbal healing beers of the world.
Published September 18th 1998 by Brewers Publications (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers

Nick Klagge
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
An interesting and very quirky book.

Strangely enough, it reminded me a lot of David Graeber's "Debt." Although the subject matters are obviously completely different, they share a feeling of great scope and broadening horizons. Both Graeber and Buhner work to show that "the way things are now" in Western society is an extremely narrow slice of a huge diversity of ways that things have been in other times and places. For Buhner, this means demolishing the equation of "beer" with "malt, water, ho
Karen Brooks
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an amazing book that explores and explains the traditional processes and meanings behind making mead, ale and beer. Included in the text are not only recipes from the MIddle Ages and Renaissance and explanations of how and why indigenous peoples made their brews, but detailed explanations of various additives (herbs) and their effects: in terns of inebriation, psychotropic and medicinal.

Thorough and clearly written with passion, this is an invaluable resource for home-brewers, anyone int
Becky
May 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Free your brewing from the tyranny of hops and barley!

This is a specialized book. I gave it five stars, but I would only recommend it to someone who has interests in brewing and herbalism.

I certainly don't agree with everything Buhner says, but there is much food for thought mixed in among the recipes. And there are plenty of recipes.

This is a book to read slowly, browse through again every few years, brew from, and keep around for reference. As I learn more about the wild plants in my part of
Lindsay
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A wealth of knowledge and insight... This book brings clarity to why and how our culture is now seeing the dark side of addiction. Buhner encourages us to brew...and to connect to low-alcohol content substances that used to be a part of our everyday life.
Charlie
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brewing
If you brew or have a keen interest in the history of beer and fermentation, this is a must have for your collection. Lots of interesting history about the fermentation of beers and other beverages from all over the world, supplemented with a healthy portion of recipes in the appendix.
Chris
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Wow, this book is wild. The essential premise is: at this time Western culture consumes only two alcoholic beverages; all beer is a watery solution of fermented barley and hops, and all wine is fermented grape juice. But many societies, including Europe before the Reformation, consumed lots of different fermented beverages made from different sugars, juices, grains, and herbs, all with varying degrees of alcoholic and nutritional content.

Those beverages are what this is about. Sage beer. Gruit
Cole
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: informative
In the interest of full disclosure, I have not read this book cover-to-cover. That said, it's not the kind of book you do that with.
I was expecting more recipes, more "how-to", and less exposition on the history and folklore of this or that herb. I was reading it from the perspective of a brewer, not an historian, and it falls short.
This book does have recipes in it, but they are simplistic, and it takes some mental effort to adjust them should you want a different quantity or be working in diff
Martin Doudoroff
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The new agey-sounding title is a turnoff for people like me, but this volume presents some clear, serious value for specific people with highly specialized interests. Here’s what you need to know: this is primarily a recipe book and the recipes are for fermented beverages with medicinal (folk healing), shamanistic and/or religious ethnocultural roots. The net is cast pretty wide. The author clearly has experience (re)producing many of the recipes, and shares his experiences along with some discu ...more
Angie
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Well, it was from this little tome that I was indoctrinated with the information that I like spread while others are drinking beer, that is, that it was during the Protestant Reformation when the Protestant's intolerance of Catholic indulgences led to the ban on all herbal and psychotropic beers in favor of the more sobering and sex-drive-inhibiting hop beer. Thus, a long tradition of herbal beer making was lost but this book approximates some of the old recipes for those of us who want to try.
Morgan
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brewing
Even if you're put off by the words "sacred" and "healing", I'd still recommend this book to round out a brewing education. For starters, there is a good bit of brewing history in here, detailing how beer used to be made (hops are relatively recent, for example). This book is great for identifying alternative bittering and aroma agents... useful knowledge for these current times of hop shortages.
Susan Albert
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbs-plants
So much herb lore packed into this reference book! Not a how-to manual (although there's some of that), but a collection of poetry, shamanic wisdom, and cultural understandings of plants that humans have used to alter consciousness. Belongs in the library of every serious herbalist.
Jonny Henningson
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Inspiring! Amazing! Totally cool stories and information, the recipes aren't very good (at least to my modern white-boy pallet, and I have admittedly only made a few of them.) still a very fun and informative read.
Julene
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, beer used to be made from many different plants and used medicinally. Here is the history of beer way back to traditional cultures and recipes. I read it and then gave it away to a friend because I have no intention of making beers, but I miss the book because it is so wise.
Theresa
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a masterpiece! What a fascinating read! Even if you're never going to brew yourself, this book is a page turner. Goes nicely with a frosty micro or home brew as well.
Lumen Natura
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fermentation
This book has extensive and hard to find information on a lot of herbs. It also gives a lot of alternative fermentation methods. Really informative and well researched book.
Faith
This book is amazing for anyone interested in herbal medicine or traditional fermentation practices. It provides a wonderful balance of folklore, history, anthropology, and practical techniques. In particular Buhner makes the seemingly frighteningly exact process of home brewing far more accessible for those of us mortals who can be frightened off by the incredibly technical nature of many fermentation guides. I would give this book six stars if I could.
Bobarian
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Contains interesting historical information about fermentation and beer. There was lots of research done and many individual cultures were talked about in depth. Around 25% of the book is about recipes for making these types of beers but nearly all of them are useless. You need very specific and hard to find ingredients or you need particular instruments. It's interesting nonetheless if you like history, natural living, or just beer, it's worth a browse.
Justin
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: herbal
Definitely a labor of love here. There is a lot more history/background than I cared for but someone who is more interested in beer would love this. I was personally hoping for a more high level coverage that I could use to make these beers in a low to no alcohol fashion. I might try to make some vinegars at some point using a recipe here, but it'll probably be a while.
Elizabeth
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of historical information about the topic, but it lacks equal knowledge of modern brewing techniques. The vast majority of the recipes must be modified by the modern brewer both for optimum fermentation and for modern taste buds.
Heaether
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing resource of information - I want to tackle all of the recipes!
Roslyn
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 stars because I appreciate it and the information it gave me so much. But really it's a 3 or 4-star book due to the organizational structure. Perhaps around ingredients would have been better? Or maybe world location. He made some comment about fat in the book that makes me think he has not looked into Weston A Prices research on indigenous diets. And he doesn't make clear that though beers were made everywhere and they were all a little alcoholic, many were very low--like kom ...more
Toby
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Okay, I admit it, I didn't read this one cover to cover. I checked it out from the library to assess whether I would want to buy it as part of my brewing and DIY library. There were some cool things in the book to be sure, but the bulk of the book was made up of stuff that wouldn't realistically ever end up as part of my repertoire. This is true for two main reasons: first, the vast majority of the recipes contain ingredients that are so esoteric, I don't think I could find them if I wanted. You ...more
Joshua
Aug 14, 2011 added it
Shelves: hippie, booze, summer11
Checked this out at Moe's on Telegraph a year ago and decided not to buy it then...too hippie and terrible sounding recipes. But changed my mind recently, in light of my interest in traditional herbal "folk wines".

As a homebrewer, I would suggest running away from any recipe that uses sugar in a "beer", but perhaps this is a useful text for:

(a) recipe "dosage" requirements—amount of the herb to include so as to not taste too bitter (but for the love of Shaka Khan, just use your favorite homebr
Sagely
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
My partner is not a fan of hops. I don't quite understand her aversion. But I'm trying to respect it in what I brew.

Enter Buhner's Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers. SHHB, among many other things, is a robust list of non-humulus lupulus ways to flavor and preserve good beer.

But much more than just an esoteric brew book, SHHB reads like part herbalist's apothecary and part primitivist screed. There's more than a touch of magic in these pages.

The chapter on honey and mead-making is in itself a headt
Yaaresse
If I could give a split rating, I'd say this is a 1 3/4-star book as a how-to manual and a four-star book as a read on historical fermentation practices and herb folklore. I wouldn't trust most of the recipes in here (and the author admits he hasn't made most of them), but they are fascinating examples of historical methods of fermenting and highlight that fermented products were traditionally considered food and medicine rather than a means for recreational binging during Monday Night Football. ...more
Orgon Solo
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you like me like to set your own cask tipple every once in while, and want to go a little deeper than just by the numbers readymade packets you can find in your local store, then this book is for you!
The author has done some real serious research here, and along a vast libarary of rare and unusual recipes used in the days of old, along with descriptions on which ailments the brews are helping heal. Along with these great how to`s, there are also a section dedicatd to brewing quality ales at
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been intimidated by beer-making for a while now, even as I have a reasonable enough grasp on wine-making. The ingredients lists of mainstream beers always seem so long to me, and the instructions even longer. Beer, in general, struck me as being less forgiving than wine. This book, though, offered a way for me to dip my toes in beer-making, a sort of bridge between wine and beer. The recipes are much simpler and more forgiving; my only complaint, though, is that the instructions, at times ...more
Katherine Lika
As much a history book as it is recipe, Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers is an interesting fermentation source. Though not always practical (some obscure beverages in here I will probably never make, and I wonder if the author ever did), I think it's an important source that keeps some of these ancient recipes alive.

My experience with beverage fermentation has a lot of room to grow, and perhaps I'll be more inclined to experiment with some of these recipes when I feel more comfortable. This is
Dan
May 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brewing
This is a very good book for anyone who brews beer or is interested in the history of beer. It's especially useful for insight into indigenous brewing practices around the world, from Norway to South America. The author has a bias in favor of legal mind-altering substances, however, which means that his information on such things as wormwood is far more favorable than standard government commentary on the same (which suffers from the opposite bias). Read critically, this is a treasure-trove for ...more
Ashleigh
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a novice homebrewer, this was the second book on the subject I read, and the one that has given me the most enjoyment and direction since. Buhner is a writer and brewer from the heart, and the narrow view that beer can only have 4 ingredients is quickly shattered after sampling any of the recipes(unless you feel that beer should only have barley, hops, water and yeast, in which case, drink to your heart's content). The historical and herbal research alone are worth the read, but the recipes f ...more
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass
  • The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Making Wild Wines  Meads: 125 Unusual Recipes Using Herbs, Fruits, Flowers  More
  • Pharmako/Dynamis: Stimulating Plants, Potions, & Herbcraft
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Uncorking the Past: The Quest for Wine, Beer, and Other Alcoholic Beverages
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • Wild Brews: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition
  • Backyard Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies
  • The Homebrewer's Companion
  • Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal: A Practical Guide to the Healing Properties of Herbs, with More Than 250 Remedies for Common Ailments
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
Stephen Harrod Buhner is an Earth poet and the award-winning author of ten books on nature, indigenous cultures, the environment, and herbal medicine. He comes from a long line of healers including Leroy Burney, Surgeon General of the United States under Eisenhower and Kennedy, and Elizabeth Lusterheide, a midwife and herbalist who worked in rural Indiana in the early nineteenth century. The great ...more