Start by marking “Memoria” as Want to Read:
Memoria

Memoria

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In a futuristic bombed-out New York, the almighty Memoria Corporation helps people erase their traumatic memories. What else would you need in the world finally free from wars and crime? But the bubble bursts when a humble lawyer Frank Shelby becomes a murder suspect on the run. Betrayed by his friends and hunted down by mysterious killers, Frank has to penetrate Memoria a ...more
Published June 24th 2012 by Sky Bridge (first published February 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Memoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoria

Midu Hadi
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi/dystopian fans
Rob
Executive Summary: Descent thriller story with a sci-fi setting.

Full Review

I came across this book via a self-promotion in Sword & Laser. This is the only thing I have read by the author. From what I read, I think this might be the first novel he's written in English. For the most part it wasn't noticeable. Some phrases struck me as a bit odd, but not much beyond that.

As this is a fairly short novel (at least by my standards), you don't get a depth into the characters, but there is enough
Smilla's Sister
This noir take on a dystopian USA will appeal to all those who take today's technological advances seriously enough. Imagine a perfect state where even a serial killer can be turned into a cute and cuddly law-abiding citizen, thanks to the obligatory memory cleanse. Imagine a government that claims it can make everyone happy in a crime-free New York, safe in the care of the almighty Memoria corporation.

Not so crime-free, apparently, otherwise who would want to kill off one of Memoria's top neuro
Lit Bug
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I received a free e-copy of this work from the author on GR - below is my honest review

I rate it 4/5 for the way the suspense was handled, 3.5/5 overall.

A formidable sci-fi thriller, Alex Bobl gets it right. His world is a dystopian future New York, run by the mega-corporation Memoria that helps its citizens erase traumatic memories and thus live happily - what more could one want? But under the carpet, this city is grappling with the consequences of the vicious intersections of power and techno
Ann Werner
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the burned out, bombed out New York City of the future, Frank Shelby is accused of the murder of a woman he knows only as Kathleen. So begins his odyssey in a post-apocalyptic world where the Memoria Corporation offers a cure for all your ills by erasing memories of unpleasant things.

A big plan called the Vaccination is in the offing and Memoria is offering it free of charge as an introductory incentive. But what is it really? And how is a United States Congressman, who is also a board membe
Геллее Салахов Авбакар
Disclosure:
Actually this is the first time I win a book as a gift from the Writer himself. Alex Bobl gave me the chance to explore his talent in writing. And here I am, reviewing his nice work. The version I am reviewing is in English. and I have it in a Kindle Version.

My Plot:
I hope that I am not so spoiler to break the surprise of the reader, but my Plot will go like this: In a Bombed New York, Frank Shelby coming from DC to New York for a personal visit to his girlfriend Kathleen Baker, the s
Heather Boustead
Memoria. A Corporation of Lies
By Alex Bobl

In futuristic New York City, Memoria Corporation offers a service that people cannot refuse erasing traumatic memories from a person’s mind. Frank Shelby comes home one day to find his girlfriend lying strangled in his bed leading him into the maze that is Memoria. He must infiltrate Memoria to clear his name and as he does so he soon stumbles onto something much more heinous.

I love dystopian novels so it would be hard to disappoint me when I pick one up
Tammy K.
3.5 stars rounded up to 4. This is a difficult one to rate because the story’s plot was fabulous, but the writing not so much, due to the fact that this is a translated work.
I have no plans on going into the grammatical errors because frankly others have done that to the point that one walks away thinking this is not a good read, when the opposite is true. So I will move forward and tell you more about why you might wish to read this story.
The action/suspense/thrill factor of this story is inte
Phil Stokoe
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I've had this sitting on my kindle as a free book for ages now and finally got around to reading it. To be honest reading some of the reviews of goodreads it sounded like this was a terrible, horribly written book but I found that to be far from the case.

Granted there is little in the way of character back story or even information to fully flesh them out but you do kind of get drawn in and find yourself rooting for Frank and his cohorts despite that.

The general story is reminiscent of other st
Nicole
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian, sci-fi
"Only our memory can make us human."

Quick, fast-paced read. A translation and it showed with a number of awkward bits like "they have a farm and grow cattle" instead of 'raise cattle' and the kind of disjointedness that made me need to reread some parts a few times to understand what was happening. But I really liked the main ideas surrounding memory control and wouldn't mind reading the next book if there is one (the ending seems to call for one). One thing that bothered me quite a bit though w
Ben Pashkoff
Had to keep in mind that it is a translation from Russian, set in NY/DC. Some of the phrases and terms were simply not American usage: "spanner in the works", "Sort them out". Seems that the translator was either a Brit or learned British English... Otherwise, the plot was interesting, characters a bit shallow and stero-typic.
Charlotte
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a really well written and action packed book that I enjoyed. I loved the concept of Memoria. Messing with memories is a scary thing to think about. The characters really made this book for me. I really liked Frank, and his growing chemistry with Maggie. Overall, a very well thought out and exciting novel.
Derek
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, sf
this is a fascinating concept, well written, but with a few flaws introduced,I suspect, by the translators. the author is Russian, and the story is set in New York, but every now and then jarring Anglicisms creep in.

I'm really not sure that it would be possible to have a culture in which forgetting played such a central part, but if you could,Bobl's thesis seems highly likely.
Liza Burns
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I really liked this story and the characters in it. As mentioned by other reviewers, there were a few spots or phrases in the book that were a bit "akward" to read. But it didn't take away from the story for me. I will definitely be looking for future books by this author.
Lee Thames
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fast paced fun read. Not a lot of background which could have made it better in my opinion.
Edwin Priest
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Pretty mediocre "thriller" that is fast-paced, scattered and not very well translated. Ok for a quick read, but rather unsatisfying. 2 stars.
Tim
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an ebook made available free by the author (Mr. Bobl is a Russian adventure/S-F writer with a military background) through Goodreads, and as usual I appreciate any author who puts his/her work “out there” for review with no financial compensation.

This was a quite enjoyable story, involving a post-war world in almost-destroyed New York, and the Memoria Corporation, which stopped the war thirty years ago and remains the predominant force (translation: totalitarian). Memoria volunteered to
Dave Higgins
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Although this book is primarily a futuristic thriller set in a world where the perpetrator might not remember their actions, it also raises questions the question whether, if we are the product of our experiences, we remain us if we lose the bad memories.

Following a civil war the United States of America is divided into three classes: migrants, a necessary underclass formed of the losers and their families, veterans, respected but expected to retain their memories of war, and citizens, required
Michelle
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Disclaimer: I did receive a free copy of this book through a goodreads offer.

Disclaimer over, spoiler alert begin:
(view spoiler)

I did really enjoy this story. The characters were defiant of a strict regime, incredibly strong willed and kept in
Simon
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where to begin? Memoria is a thriller about a man, Frank Shelby, who is framed for a murdering Kathleen Baker, his girlfriend. Kathleen worked for the company Memoria and had discovered some disturbing truths about a new technology that Memoria plans to use for nefarious activities.

Before her death, Kathleen had sent Frank a mysterious package which could reveal Memoria's scheme. Unfortunately, Frank is arrested for her murder and has to survive an assassination attempt in the Police Station, av
Cindy
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
As a book, this was at times difficult to read. The action sequences, though detailed, were difficult to follow. the characters were not developed enough for me to connect. The premise and interconnecting stories were difficult to keep up with. However, having said that, if this were a screenplay for a major upcoming action flick, I would not only be interested but also probably love it. It is action packed with the requisite hero, damsel side kick, older sages to provide experience and advice, ...more
Michael Flanagan
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Memoria delivers a well polished gritty dystopian novel. Why the plot is familiar it has enough twist and turns to keep you on edge and entertained

A man framed for murder tries to find out why and who has set him up. An evil corporation is behind it all. As the accused travels through the story he discovers an intricate plot to turn the citizens into mindless puppets. Can he stop them? Can he clear his name? You are going to have to read the book to find out the answers.
Dan Smart
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first chapter pretty much sets the rest of the story up and there is not really much action at that point. However, once you start chapter two, you better hold on because you will be on an action-packed roller-coaster ride for the rest of the book.
J.L. Dobias
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Suspense lovers and some fans of PKD's work ( who aren't too picky)
Shelves: book-shelf-11
Memoria By alex Bobl (They control your memories - They tell you how to live.)

This was one of those few that took my interest by the book cover. It's cover reminded me of Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in its incantation as Blade Runner (the movie) and the tag line and it's title reminded me of Philip K Dick's We Can Remember it For You Wholesale aka Total Recall. But in reading it I couldn't help but be reminded of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. The story sucked me in and
Pete
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
In a dystopian world, a major corporation, Memoria, develops technology that enables memories to be selectively erased. Memoria’s control of the city-based population has been solidified by the authorities such that each citizen is obliged by law to undergo memory modification each year. Most of the city dwellers seem to enjoy this process and return even more frequently to have unpleasant memories removed.

Only the Militants, located behind barbed wire fencing on the outskirts of the cities, li
Sean Endress
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Taken from my Amazon review

This book has a lot going for it - right off the bat you've got 237 pages for 2.99, a very reasonable price point for a big book packed full of story. It's very low-risk, there's very little reason not to give it a shot!

On to the story itself, it moves VERY quickly. No skimming these pages because there's no padding here. There's one exception in the middle, where I encountered a rather awkward few chapters of exposition, but the story hopped right back on track after
Isabella Gray
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I so wanted to like this book. It was supposed to have everything I love: SciFi, Dystopian, mystery/crime, suspense/thriller. I'm not sure how much of my displeasure came from the poor English translation and how much came from actual story flaws. As soon as I started reading, I ran into strange wording and poor grammar which made it difficult for me to fully engage in the characters and story.

Our introduction to this world is an interaction between the main character, Frank and a strangely hos
Tara Allman
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Memoria by Alex Bobl
This is an action packed novel depicting what may be possible in the future for mankind with the increase of technology. Memoria HQ has developed a sophisticated system that can alter a person’s memory. They offer two free visits a year to the general public, so if you are subjected to a life altering trauma you can simply take a free pass to Memoria and have your memory erased! Sounds pretty interesting, however other things come into play.

“Memoria’s goals were to amass as
Bryan Cacciatore
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults
There was a lot of action in Memoria, I will definitely give it that. Not that many twists and turns, but full of hand-on-hand, guns, helicopters, and many injuries. This is the type of book that would turn into a good movie because of the conspiracy theory and the very detailed action scenes. The whole "memory" aspect of the book plays second to the hunt for our main character and his hunt for the truth.

Overall it was a pretty good book, but it didn't have a real draw factor to read the next ch
Pennie
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Frank Shelby is a lawyer accused of murdering his girlfriend Kathleen. Now, on the run, he and his friends are on a crusade against the ruthless and powerful Memoria Corporation to find her real killer, a corporation that erases peoples memories.

This company promises to erase all bad memories using free introductory offers as a ploy - But all is not what it appears to be...
And Frank, now a fugitive, must prove his innocence. The problem is that everyone is controlled by Memoria.

Full of governmen
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Darklandia
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Strictly Analog
  • Eden
  • The Crooked God Machine
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • Into the Vast
  • Awakening
  • Virtually True
  • The Biomass Revolution (The Tisaian Chronicles #1)
  • Mr. Ruins (Ruins War, #1)
  • Blind Veil
  • Everywhere But No Place (Messages From The Unseen World, #1)
  • Walker
  • The Silence of Lir (Saga of the Spheres #1)
  • Cyberdrome
  • The End: Visions of Apocalypse (SFFWorld.com anthology, #1)
  • Generation
Author's FB pages:

Alex (Aleksei) Bobl is a science fiction writer, author of 13 novels. An ex-paratrooper, he used his military knowledge and experience to write his debut novels for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., a bestselling science fiction action adventure series set in a post-apocalyptic Chernobyl.

Alex started writing in 2007 when he j