Start by marking “This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store” as Want to Read:
This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store

This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store

This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store chronicles what happens when a little girl who scorns the idea of marriage and children (in favor of becoming a stiletto-wearing, attache-carrying Secret Agent), majors in Russian, minors in Vodka, and then one day finds herself with child … and in-laws.
Published June 27th 2012 by Fever Streak Press

To ask other readers questions about This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store

Start your review of This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store
Holand
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a grown man without children, it goes without saying that I know absolutely nothing about motherhood. I do, however, know what’s funny, and A.K. Turner’s “Little Piggy” is very, very funny indeed. The writing is crass, uncensored, frequently profane, and almost always witty and genuinely laugh-out-loud hilarious. It rather reminds me of the film “Bridesmaids”, where a guy can see the crude, down-to-earth and human situations that women go through and appreciate the humor, despite having the w ...more
Hanako
Oct 03, 2012 rated it did not like it

somehow i forgot or wasn't aware that this was a memoir when i started. i wanted it to have more of a story line - even as a memoir. i feel like it's billed incorrectly - it claims to be about someone who swore off ever having kids who suddenly "finds herself with child" when really she made a conscious choice to have kids...some of the individual anecdotes are amusing enough, but there is no real coherence to the book as a whole, and the theme of wanting to drink while being a parent got a li
Leana
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This might be the funniest book I have ever read. AK Turner shares hilarious stories about owning pets, traveling, drinking, raising kids, and hanging out with the in-laws, among other things. I especially appreciated her raw honesty about parenting -- the subject we've all been tempted to lie about, pretending that it is just as easy as the parenting manuals suggest. I might just read it again (and again) when I need a good laugh!
Cydni Perkins
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is freaking hilarious. It think it does for motherhood what Autobiography Of A Fat Bride did for marriage -- take all the sad, or maddening, or silly bits about life and make it so funny that I cry. There were moments when I felt like maybe I could manage the whole motherhood thing after all. I mean, if she could do it...but then she pees down her leg, and I laugh again and resolve to just be a crazy cat lady for the rest of my life. Either way, I devoured this book in just a couple of ...more
Gina
One word....HILARIOUS! For a debut Indie author and a Kindle freebie, I was extremely wowed by this author's wit, charm, and raw honesty about family and motherhood. She is right up there with the likes of Laurie Natoro and other best selling authors of this genre! I highly recommend AK Turner's This Little Piggy and will definitely be purchasing the next book in the series. Without a doubt, one of the funniest, laugh out loud books I've read all year! This is a must read! 5 stars!
Paul Garrett
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Like Irma Bombeck at her very best, A.K. Turner talks about outgrowing adolescence and embracing marriage and motherhood with side-splitting humor and profound understanding. It would be unfair to give away even one "for instance," as every scene is so carefully set up and the laughs perfectly timed. Make sure you've emptied your bladder and warned anyone within earshot to expect snorts, hoots, giggles, and belly laughs. You'll hate seeing the remaining pages dwindle to none.
Suzie Quint
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: idaho-author

This is more vignettes than story. Humorous and surprisingly readable. Usually with this sort of book, it's better if I read in snippets because my sense of humor becomes jaded, but somehow with this I didn't feel that sense of bombardment. The running theme is the alcohol that helps parents get through child rearing. That did start to feel like it was a little repetitious, and if I didn't think it was meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I'd be concerned about the author's drinking problem.
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it

This is a hysterical take on marriage, motherhood, and everything in between. I was wondering how appropriate it was to read while pregnant, but found that there's a lot more humor in it than simply drinking. Witty, well-written roller coaster of a book about the sometimes mundane everyday life. Must read for all moms needing a laugh.
Suzanne
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know why but when I started reading this I totally thought it was a fictional novel. I was laughing outlout at the Turner Speak chapter because it's so relocatable and still so funny. That was also the chapter when I realized I was reading more of a memoir than a story. Still I enjoyed it.
Alison
I'd like to give this a Between 3 and 4 Stars. The essay about her in-laws' use of language (and more specifically, her brother-in-law while singing), truly made me laugh out loud and wipe tears away (ask my husband). The rest of it I enjoyed, even if I couldn't really relate it to so much because I'm not a parent. The drinking aspect was one I felt might have been a little more on the surface as a way to give the book an "edge" and help it sell (otherwise who wants to just read about being a mo ...more
Mary
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
A relaxed, funny read. I enjoyed the first half much more than the second, perhaps because I'm not a parent and don't identify with some of the humor as easily as I did early on. Overall though I did like the direct, "dear diary", chatting-with-sister kind of humor. Turner doesn't add any frills she knows what's ridiculous, embarassing, or/and hilarious and shares. Something for which I'm appreciative. It's nice to just read a few paragraphs at a time and still feel the need to smile almost imme ...more
Lee
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just started this book today, got it as a free e-book d/l from Amazon over a month ago. I have been laughing out LOUD! I mean DEEP FROM MY SOUL LAUGHING from chapter One! I am not a Mother (and no intention of EVER being one), but I must say this is a MUST READ for any soon-to-be-mother or a New Mother. It will help her keep a-hold of her sanity with a side-dish of laughter. Pay close attention to Chapter 6 and 16, "TRUST" YOU'LL THANK ME! Well if not me(since I'm not a mother) the Author!!!!
Lance
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
AK Turner's book on parenthood, in laws and just what to do when those plans for not having children don't go as planned. No mattern which chapter you pick,there will be section that will make you laugh until it hurts and also sections that every parent or spouse will say "Yeah I can relate to that." My personal favorite was when she decided to try marijuana for the first time in her 30s while vacationing in Mexico. If it doesn't make you laugh so hard you'll cry....then you are a very hard pers ...more
Margaret
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I freely admit that I found this as a free Kindle download, and wasn't really expecting much.

What I got was an outright hilarious look at one woman's life as wife and mother.

Witty, sarcastic, laugh aloud funny... this book has been one of my best finds of 2013 so far.

If your sense of humor is twisted, evil and sometimes just downright sick, I recommend you read this book. You just won't stop laughing.
Books
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2014
This is a really terrific and quick read! I read this book and the sequel one after the other, and enjoyed the hilarity of both. I didn’t always agree with some of the author’s parenting choices, and definitely not with the constant state of inebriation, but there were a ton of things that made me laugh loudly because, as mom of a six-year-old, I could identify and nod my head in agreement. I’m looking forward to reading book three!
Theresa
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A light, funny book to read when you just want a relaxing read. There is some foul language, especially at the beginning, but if you're not offended by that, it's a nice, quick little escape. The author tells of her upbringing and ventures through marriage, in-laws and eventually parenthood. She tells it from the perspective of a "not so perfect" person, which makes it more real-life and just fun.
Carei
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. It was so well written and FUNNY. No, Amanda is not perfect. She's not a good pet owner. So she does not have any pets anymore. She's smart. She knows she's not Michael Vick and she's not Martha Stewart either.
I love her style of writing. It's smart, sassy and irreverent. It was like reading a really close friend's diary. lol
Jann
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very funny! This author reminds me of one of my favorite funny authors - Celia Rivenbark. A person raising young children right now would especially enjoy this but even though my son is grown I could still relate. Very few books make me laugh out loud but this one did! If you want a quick read and some comic relief, this is your ticket!
Stacey
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, kindle
I don't have children but I was still able to appreciate this tasty little tidbit about motherhood. It was the crass humor...I love crass humor - and sarcasm. Mixed with a little booze and it's the perfect summer read. I look forward to the flask, Ms. Turner.
Crystal
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the BEST books I have come across. These short stories will leave you giggling and wanting more, MUCH more. And AK Turner gives you more... The cost for this book was nowhere near the value I got from reading it! Thank You AK Turner!!! ♥
SimplyAtomic
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I felt like the author had ADHD. I felt like she never finished a story and I was left to go back and make sure I didn't skip a page or two. (I never did) Her parenting stories are funny and I could totally relate but the skipping from story to the next really took a lot out of it for me
Kylah
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. I think our kids are around the same age so the reference to some cartoons I could relate. Lots of funny story's about in laws, raising kids and life. Stories you would rather bury deep down and never let out!
Amy
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! Laughed until I couldn't read the text, dried my eyes then laughed some more! Thanks for sharing such great life moments.
April Cothern
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
this book is hilarious. I loved it. I strongly suggest you not try to read this if your husband is sleeping...you will wake him up with all the laughing.
Emmy
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club-books
Hilarious! Laugh out loud funny book. She writes with the wit and sense of humor I truly enjoy. Can't wait to read "Mommy Had A Little Flask"!!
Lisa
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Paula Peters
Shelves: non-fiction
Funny! Laugh out loud funny. And I don't even have a child nor any plans for one. It's uncensored but it's everyday life (from what I hear) with small kids in the house.
Gena Koehler
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Hilarious. As the parent of a toddler, I don't know if there was anything in this book that wasn't an accurate depiction of parenthood.
Briana
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh out loud multiple times. It is vulgar and silly, but a good quick entertaining read.
Bill Riley
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AK Turner’s This Little Piggy went to the Liquor Store is a funny, refreshingly candid reflection of the good and bad of family and parenting. It’s written as a series of linked vignettes that made me relate, smile, and once laugh so loud in a crowded airport, I made the people next to me uncomfortable enough to start eyeing TSA. Turner doesn’t sugar coat the real challenges, responsibilities, and tradeoffs she experienced as a parent. Instead she shines a light on the irony, inconsistencies, an ...more
Alicia Fox
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is me.
Keep in mind....I am not a parent, and yet I relate to this book in so many ways. There were so many painfully awkward moments throughout the entirety of this book, which for me, meant a bomb ab workout from laughing so hard. I would 100% read this book after your household is asleep and your well on glass number two of your alcohol of choice (I recommend not red wine as this book will for sure make you spit whatever is in your mouth out from laughter). Turner has two more books
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
  • Uganda Be Kidding Me
  • TMI Mom: Oversharing My Life
  • Bad Habits: Confessions of a Recovering Catholic
  • Picnic at the Iron Curtain: A Memoir: From the fall of the Berlin Wall to Ukraine's Orange Revolution
  • Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery
  • Wild Bird
  • Of Mice and Men
  • In Sight of Stars
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Cultivating Genius: An Equity Framework for Culturally and Historically Responsive Literacy
AK Turner is The New York Times bestselling author of the award-winning Vagabonding with Kids series, as well as This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, Mommy Had a Little Flask, and Hair of the Corn Dog. Her works have received a starred review from Publishers Weekly, IPPY Awards in Humor and Travel, Foreword Indies Awards, Independent Press Distinguished Favorite, and inclusion in BookLife’s ...more