Start by marking “Moshi moshi” as Want to Read:
Moshi moshi

Moshi moshi

Dopo aver perso il padre in quello che ha tutta l’aria di essere stato un doppio suicidio d’amore, Yoshie si trasferisce dalla sua casa di Meguro a un minuscolo e vecchio appartamento a Shimokitazawa, un quartiere di Tokyo famoso per le sue stradine chiuse al traffico, i ristoranti, i negozietti, nonché meta degli alternativi della capitale. Qui Yoshie spera, aiutata dall’ ...more
Paperback, I narratori, 208 pages
Published June 2012 by Feltrinelli (first published 2010)

Start your review of Moshi moshi
Oriana
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
New Banana!!

In case that doesn't make things clear, I love Banana. I've loved her for many, many books, even though the last few I sort of only loved because I love her, not necessarily because they were the best evar. Moshi moshi is a big step up, I think: It's a really masterful work in its own right, regardless of your track record with the author. It still suffers, as all her books seem to, from some awkwardnesses introduced, I'm nearly positive, by her translator, and could have used a
Laurance
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This response is mostly for people who have read the novel, because I'm interested in others' reactions to certain elements, but if you haven't read it, and I guess if you don't mind lack of plot context and I guess spoilers? then you might get something out of this!

I started this novel off thinking, Oh, wow, it seems like Yoshimoto's matured as a writer and the translation reads smoothly this time around because in the past I had wondered if some of the things that bothered me about Yoshimoto's
Alex
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, 2018
Moshi Moshi! Say moshi moshi back! SAY IT or you're a ghost

no it's true, ghosts can only say "Moshi" once, which is why Japanese people answer the phone "Moshi moshi". It proves they're not ghosts.

cute ghost

Now you'll understand the title of this book way better, so you're welcome. Because there's a ghost in this book! WoooOOOooOOooo not really, not that kind of ghost, it's more of a Boring Emotional Ghost instead of a Badass Gothic Ghost. Narrator Yoshie's father has been murdered. He fell into
Hoda Marmar
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, e-book
First off, what an awesome book cover!
This charming novel embarks the reader on a journey of loss, grief, reconnecting, healing, love, hope, youth, family, and everything in between. I enjoyed every bit of it, and many of its quotes are engraved in my mind/heart. If you love Japanese literary novels which linger on the themes mentioned above, and enjoy psychological and emotional insight to the protagonist, then this is definitely the book for you to savor.
I wish to visit Shimotikazawa now. I
MRIDULA
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a daughter loses her father to an accident/suicide, she moves places to find comfort. Shimokitazawa has always fascinated Yocchan and that is where she heads to figure out how to live a life without her father. But whenever she feels that she is close to finding that stare, another layer is added to her life. She meets a few people, who remind her of the horrible truth and to offer advice or comfort. But the answer to all her restlessness and sense of loss lies in acceptance.

'Moshi Moshi'
Karen
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-the-world
I am not sure why, but Yoshimoto always reminds me of Murakami, maybe it's the descriptions of Tokyo and food that are so pervasive in the authors' books. Although, I don't think this book is as good as Kitchen, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Shawn Mooney (Shawn The Book Maniac)
I was quite enjoying this story of a young woman and her widowed mother putting themselves back together after their father/husband died in a tragic and rather scandalous way, especially the setting, Shimokitazawa, very near where I live in Tokyo. But I bailed at the 50% mark because of the truly awful writing. I assume the translation is largely to blame here, but the prose was making me sick to my stomach.
R.
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2015 ended and 2016 started with the my "discovery" of the TV series Sherlock and the works of Banana Yoshimoto. Now, here at the end of 2016, the start of 2017, I found myself reading the latest Banana Yoshimoto during the early evening and (re)watching at night the Sherlock run-up-to-the-new-season marathon on PBS. What I see here are bookends. The most tightly locked bookends I've ever experienced in the world of art. Sherlock. Yoshimoto. Sherlimoto.

The novel is melancholy. Lovely. I want to
StaceyJEM
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, loved this book.
Milky Mixer
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been hanging on the line waiting for a new Banana Yoshimoto novel to be translated to English since 2011's "The Lake." At last, Counterpoint Press has picked up and answered sweetly: "Moshi Moshi!"

Banana is my favorite author. When I read a Banana book, I feel like I slow down, sometimes rereading paragraphs over and over just to savor her stories like a warm dessert. Critics complain that her writing can be unrealistic, that "people don't talk like that," but I think her characters move
Vishy
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read a Banana Yoshimoto book for a long time since one of my friends recommended it. I got 'Moshi Moshi' as a present from one of my friends and I decided to read it this week. This is my second book for #WITMonth.

In 'Moshi Moshi', the narrator Yoshie starts the story by describing the neighbourhood of Shimokitazawa in Tokyo. She quotes a description of Shimokitazawa, that a character gives in a movie. It goes like this :

"The clutter of streets and buildings, which seem to have
Katie Lumsden
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Banana Yoshimoto's writing is beautiful as always. I especially liked the relationship between the central character and her mother, and the way it explores the character's relationship with food and cooking. I found aspects of the romantic plot line a little irritating, but for the most part I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Winna
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It actually took me a while to finish reading this, but i kept feeling drawn to yoshie and her story.

It has been a long time since i felt so much after reading a book, feeling sad because it is over. The feelings, as yoshimoto herself mentioned in the author's note, are genuine. There is so much to be pondered upon and every sliver of emotion rings true. The confusion and turmoil Yoshie feels seem credible, and her journey toward finding peace is very uplifting. This is a favorite of her books
Wendy Wagner
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Is there such thing as a cozy-literary? Because that's exactly what this book is--super cozy. It's a quiet little story about a young woman coping with her father's death by engaging with her community. And it's a great community, packed with cute little bars and charming restaurants. This is probably the perfect novel to read on a rainy day while sitting in your favorite coffee shop.
Amanda at Nerdification Reviews
I enjoyed this novel much more than I ever anticipated. For a book about a character stranded in grief it felt incredibly warm and idealistic.

Plot

Yoshi moves to Shimokitazawa to work in her favorite bistro escaping her family home in Meguro after the shocking death of her father. Found to have died in a suicide pact with another woman, Yoshi is plagued by his loss and confusion between the beloved father she thought she knew, and the revelation that she did not know him quite that well.

In her
Randi
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-literature
A book about the everyday life of a young woman whose father has tragically and strangely died, as she begins to come to grips with her loss. Her mother comes to live with her to begin a new life. The young woman works in a restaurant and spends a lot of time eating out and going to coffee shops, tea houses and bars, and there is a great deal of description of these places

This annoyed me, as I can't afford to eat out every night at decent restaurants in New York. But in the afterword Yoshimoto
Samantha
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This was such a moving, lovely story but it fell apart for me at the end - so, it ends up with a 3 and not a 4.
Claire
What I liked most was the picture start and end to the novel, to be honest with you. I think it gives you a nice zoom-in and zoom-out effect of this writer's affairs.

Not to mention all the incidental Japanese honorifics incurred throughout the speaking between the characters. I don't often see that, and that was all of what I learned when I was a chibi kodomo, a little kid.

YIKES! The actual plot? That was really scary. I don't know about that part. Maybe I should reduce my rating a bit...
Heidi Burkhart
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably at least five years thought has gone into deciding to read a novel by Yoshimoto. I was attracted by her books, but also wondered about her pen name "Banana." How could I take someone seriously who decided to call herself Banana? I am not saying that it makes sense or is logical but that is how my mind was working.

What a delightful surprise to absolutely love this book and Yoshimoto's writing style. I felt that she provides an open window into the Japanese manner of duty, goals, family,
John Armstrong
I've had my eye on Banana Yoshimoto for a while and read the blurbs and reviews but didn't succumb until this book. I chose it as an airplane read and read it while I was flying from Boston to SFO. It was cozy and page-turnery and kept me happy but in the end I decided it didn't deliver on its promise - ghost story? coming of age story? It seemed to stop short of being either one. Not bad by any means but not great either.
Fareshta Jan
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese-lit
Yoshimoto sensei is able to beautifully translate certain rare emotions into feeling of past familiarity which is very tough to do so. Even her description of places makes you nostalgic for cafes or apartments that you’ve been never been to before. Most of her work surrounds death and loss, but there’s a sense of closure with the way she describes grief and how to deal with it. Her words gave me a sense of clarity especially after losing a beloved one. I hope she continues to bless us with her ...more
Heidi
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This book is beautifully written. Poignant scenes between mother and daughter and friends, simple and fitting dialogue, and remarkable insight into the mind of someone grieving. The personal journeys of the characters and the bit of an unsolved mystery regarding the father is touching. I did think the love interest turned out a little weird, but overall the tone of healing and nostalgia in this book is fantastic.
Adam
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have to give this 4 stars purely for the pleasure in reading it and for finding myself absorbed again in Yoshimoto's seemingly simple prose that manages to explore the complexities of her character's predicaments so intricately, in Moshi-Moshi it see's her narrator confronting the grief she faces when her father appears to have committed suicide with a lover who has distant connections to the family, the lingering suspicion lingers over the novel that perhaps it wasn't in fact a suicide but a ...more
Anna Nesterovich
It was an interesting, horizon widening reading. This book is so magnificently Japanese. It's full of reflections on things I wouldn't even think about. As a cultural experience it's invaluable, even though I can't say I can relate much. And I'm still not quite sure why it's called Moshi Moshi. ..
Bill
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A woman in her 20s moves to a quirky town while grieving the sudden (and somewhat mysterious) death of her father. She throws herself into her work at a restaurant with a chef she admires, reconnects with friends and family, and... well, generally overthinks everything while processing his loss. She often reflects on how she feels stifled or smothered by loss and grief; for me, the smothering aspect was the heavy-handed internal dialogue. Every action or observation seems to provoke nostalgia or ...more
Kate
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book is a quiet story about love, grief, family and community. While it doesn't always succeed melding these themes, it did give me lots to think about.
Missy MacDonald
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, kindle
I didn’t connect with this novel the way I’d hoped. The glimpse into Japanese culture was interesting, but the narrator Yocchan seemed both over-wrought and emotionally flat. Perhaps something was lost in translation.
Jessi
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know perfect books existed until now
Abby
Moshi Moshi is first and foremost an exploration of grief and what happens when two characters allow themselves to experience grief: not turn away from it, but live in it without letting it consume and take over their lives. Yocchan is a young woman living in Tokyo. At the onset of the novel, her father has just died by suicide with his mistress in the forests outside of the city. Both she and her mother are rocked by his passing; neither had any idea that he either had a mistress or was ...more
MundiNova
If someone had asked me how I'd spent this period in my life, I'd have said I'd done nothing in particular. It had all felt like a dream.

A touching story about dealing with sudden death, but suffers from a poor translation.

This is my first Banana book and I enjoyed it an average amount. I might have enjoyed it more if the translation was better. So many things just didn't make sense. Characters saying something normal, then another character laughing hysterically at a joke or turn of phrase
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Masks
  • Real World
  • Record of a Night Too Brief
  • The Devil's Whisper
Banana Yoshimoto (よしもと ばなな or 吉本 ばなな) is the pen name of Mahoko Yoshimoto (吉本 真秀子), a Japanese contemporary writer. She writes her name in hiragana. (See also 吉本芭娜娜 (Chinese).)

Along with having a famous father, poet Takaaki Yoshimoto, Banana's sister, Haruno Yoiko, is a well-known cartoonist in Japan. Growing up in a liberal family, she learned the value of independence from a young age.

She
“One of the things you lost sight of when you lived in the city was the sense of how much power an individual had.” 1 likes
“Sul campo di battaglia della memoria giacevano le spoglie di tutto quanto si era piegato a forze invisibili, dei pensieri di ciò che era svanito lasciando soltanto le emozioni dietro di sè. L'avrei attraversato giorno dopo giorno, imprimendo le orme dei miei passi come si offrono fiori.” 1 likes