Start by marking “Out In The Country” as Want to Read:
Out In The Country

Out In The Country

Widowed a year ago, Lynne Marshall believes she's ready to start a new chapter in life. She plans to exchange the bright lights of Manhattan for her home country of Scotland and open a country hotel with her childhood friend Jess and her fiancé Rob. Her daughter Molly will manage the home front as she starts her first year of teaching in one of the city's toughest schools. ...more
Published June 25th 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Out In The Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out In The Country

Tiffany Wacaser
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book had a great story line which I enjoyed very much. However, there were some problems with the book, in particular the ending, that made the book much weaker.

The book starts very strong with three major characters. The story focuses on two Scottish women, both in their 40's who end up starting a B&B in Vermont. The character development was sustained and believable as you watch both characters cope with grief and face challenges. Both women develop as individuals and their friendship
Carol Preston
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a sweet, short read about new beginnings after grief and loss. It's a bit 'too good to be true', but the stuff dreams are made of for those who like happy endings.
Leah
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Melanie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, romance
I absolutely loved this story, or should I say stories. I received this book as a free read and loved every moment taking in the life struggles of the three women it covered. Each womens story mingled around each others. Lynn with the loss of her husband and finding herself a new journey in life, Jess (her best friend) with a total life change and making a better one, and Molly (Lynns daughter)with the start of a new life and the challenges it can bring. This book flowed so well that I was disap ...more
Brenda Roberson
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When you lose everything you wonder how you can go on. This is how Lynne and Jess feel after such crushing blows steal their joy and happiness. Lynne loses her husband when he dies unexpectedly and Jess loses her fiancé and all of the money she had put up to start an inn in Scotland. Then Lynne's in-laws sign their house over to her and she gets her friend Jess to help her open a b&b. A feel good story with many happy endings. Highly recommend.
Ginger
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Good book about starting over, realizing your dreams and not giving up.
Michelle
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I started this book because it had a fall setting for my holiday themed challenge.

I was enjoying the characters so much! This book really had a lot of promise for a fuller, well rounded ending.

The adult characters stories ended well but really could have expanded on the stories.

The 3rd characters ending was abrupt and somber-I don’t need every book to have a happy ending but when the details on a character are so interesting, it’s disappointing when they are suddenly cut off.

The city to Vermont
Diane Wachter
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, romance, ebook
A NY city woman, who lost her husband 1-1/2 years ago, is looking forward to starting a new life in Scotland by opening and running a new hotel with her childhood girlfriend. When that plan falls through, she and girlfriend take themselves off to her husband's family home in Vermont. The In-laws give her the home to open a B&B, which had been her husband's dream.
Julie Weaver
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story

I enjoyed the story; however, it was a little confusing because the storyline would change without any notice. Usually when a story goes from one person to another, there is some type of break (whether it's dots or squiggly lines) but this story changed with no obvious sign. All in all, it was a cute story and I enjoyed it.
Barbara
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A surprising story. My takeaway is the analogy of psychological pain being intensified when it is pushed down and not dealt with. Makes complete sense, but I'd never thought of it in quite the way this author puts it.
Tina Bailey
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable story by Kate.

This one kept me turning pages to find out how Lynne, Jess, and Mol!y rolls with the waves of their lives. It was a warm and inviting story into these characters lives. They have a great supporting family and extension of friends as well.
Sally Leara
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Very quaint story but not a lot of depth.
Michelle
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read, good story. Characters were good, but their actions were a bit predictable. Solid 3.5 stars
Judyspadoni
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Loved the feel of vermont but story very predictable and blah, Was an easy read. Didn't really feel the characters, story line jumped with no warning.
Jane
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short and sweet story of life after loss is exactly that: short and sweet. You could even say it's unrealistic. But it's perfect for readers like me, who have had enough realism and long for the happy ending. The story is well written, with pleasant characters and an idyllic setting in rural Vermont. There's a twist or two in the short plot, and that kept the too-good-to-be-true novella interesting.
Sue
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, kindle, read-2014
This novella, set in the US, starts well, in my view. Recently widowed, middle-aged Lynne plans to return to her roots in Scotland, working in a hotel with her friend Jess. She has said her goodbyes when disaster strikes, and the whole project is cancelled.

Meanwhile, Lynne's daughter Molly starts teaching at a difficult secondary school, and finds it much tougher than she expected. And when they go to visit Lynne's retired in-laws, they have an unexpected but exciting suggestion for Lynne's fut
Fiona Marsden
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like good dialogue, and real people
Recommended to Fiona by: Author Preference
This is a three in oner. A novella length story that manages to introduce quite a broad range of characters and surprisingly the ensemble cast are painted with quite a detailed brush. A real gift, but one Kate Hewitt excels in. Our primary heroine is Lynne, a recently widowed New Yorker, she has come to the point where she wants something more, something new. At first she thinks it might be returning to her birthplace of Scotland to set up a Hotel with her childhood friend Jess and her fiancé. O ...more
Ellen
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
Cozy romance. Jessica, friend Lynn and Lynne's daughter Molly each have confusing issues going on with men who want to be in their lives. Set in a cozy Vermont village where Jessica and Lynne are trying to turn Lynne's inlaws home into a bed and breakfast. Lots of mentions of tasty scones.
Gail
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lynn is the main character of this book though it had many main characters in it. Lynn's best friend, Jess, her daughter, Molly, the guys John, Mark and Jason all of whom are pursuing the women in a dual setting of NYC and a small town in Vermont. Lynn & Jess are from Scotland, but Lynn has lived in NYC since she married 20 plus years, but her husband is deceased and her in-laws want her to open a Bed & Breakfast in their home in Vermont. Lynn has plans to join Jess back in Scotland to o ...more
Becky
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A "warm, fuzzy", feel good story which I need every now and then. Its a story of love, forgiveness, family and friendship. All tied together regarding three women. It is actually, three little stories in one regarding these women. A quick, pleasurable read. The only part of the book I didn't care for, is it was sometimes too quick and you were swept into the future to fast. I would have liked hearing more about Molly's days of teaching and her experiences. I would have liked to read more about t ...more
Elaine
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
A relatively young widow decides to start a new life in her late husband's hometown in Vermont.
Her decision is a difficult one to make as she must leave her old life and above all her daughter and best friend in New York.
Fate has it that her plans become reality and she finds herself at home in that small Vermont town.
I love stories about women who take a grip on their lives and with lots of courage and determination
open themselves up to new experiences.
A very easy reading story with lots of
Victoria Simcox
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lynne Marshall’s plans are abruptly and unfortunately changed. Jess, her friend from her youth and her were in pursuit of starting up a hotel in a cozy town in Scotland. When something terrible happens, they have no idea what will lie ahead for them. New prospects come about when they travel to Vermont. Will they get another chance at love? Are they ready to take the chances for it? This is a gratifying tale, rejoicing in the gift of intimate relationships and hope, when hope seems gone. Kate He ...more
Paul Triegaardt
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading my first Kate Hewitt book, finding the book resonates with me as I'm around the same age as Jess and Lynne.
While both of these ladies have tragic life experiences they seem to find light in the dark tunnel and hope is never far away.
While reading this novel I kept thinking that this was actually a trilogy of sorts because in my opinion this novels lends itself to at least 3 follow ons. Jess, Lynne and Molly's' stories could really continue if Kate wanted.
Unfortunately Kate b
Michele
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great book about a recent widow (Lynne) who moves from NYC to her deceased husband's home town in Vermont to turn the family home into a bed & breakfast. Other characters the reader gets to know are Lynne's daughter, Molly, and her friend from Scotland, Jess, as well as her in-laws & other friends. What I liked about the book was that, despite sadness and heartache, it was an uplifting read without profanity or sex. My only criticism is that I wanted to know more about the cha ...more
Lynn
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lynne and Jessica were ready to join forces and purchase a hotel in Scotland. Lynne would be moving from New York City while Jessica was already in Edinburgh. But the financial backer took the money and ran. Jessica's financee also ran. So Lynne invited Jessica to come visit since Jessica had quit her job sold her flat and lost her boyfriend. They headed to Vermont to visit Lynne's late husband parents. An idea formed when her in-laws decided to move to a small bungalow and offered the house to ...more
Lisa
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book that captures a little of everything in just a very positive way. Three women each dealing with something different in their lives and how they over came and moved on. A book about love, lose, friendship, new beginnings and lost loves. The book moves quickly. What I liked most about this book was it is one of those books that all generations can read and each can take from it what they want from their age perspective. At times I just wished I was at the inn reading this book. I definitely ...more
Stefani
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was browsing my Kindle for something to read and the cover of Out In The County by Kate Hewitt really stood out. Sadly that was pretty much all there was to it….a very nice and eye catching cover. The start seemed promising and I was amazed at the story of three strong women. Plus it’s set in NYC and Vermont. And that’s pretty much where the things I liked about this book end. The end was disappointing. I thought: wait a second that’s it? I definitely expected more from this book.

Rating - 2 st
Pam
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Kate Hewitt and I enjoyed it. For me the setting is important. I loved the town and the in laws home. The B &B was fun to follow, all the changes and help from local people. I liked the characters and found them and their stories interesting. I would add a suggestion for some of the recipes. I love to read stories where food is an intricate part of the story and then read the recipes at the end. I have ended up trying a number of them.
Andree Sanborn
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, kindle, march
This is a Hallmark movie waiting to be made if there ever was one. It is simplistic, a fast read, and way too heavy on fragrant scones just out of the oven and steaming mugs of tea (or coffee). There are too many stereotyped, and erroneous, descriptions of Vermont. Yet despite all of this, I never stopped reading it. I just wish I had and wish I had begun a more substantial book.

This book was free for my Kindle through BookBub.
Loretta
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a free book from Book Bub. The formatting was extremely distracting on my Kindle Fire. There were no breaks in the paragraphs when scenes would change. I would be reading and all of a sudden I'm reading about a different character in a totally different setting; it created a knee-jerk feeling. I suspect this is not an author issue but it created a frustrating reading experience. The story was definitely a 'chick-flick' type of story with some predictability.

• By Design
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Rockin' Chair
  • Spectacle
  • Admissions of Guilt
  • Lily (Song of the River #1)
  • Heart of Gold
  • Ride the Rainbow Home
  • Single, Available, and Completely Attached
  • Wild Fire (Fairy Tale Match, #1)
  • Aiden's Bayou
  • Angela's Song
  • The Billionaire's Con
  • Ravenscraig
  • Leaving Green Island
  • Island Passage
  • Color My Horse (Racetrack Romance, #1)
  • For Keeps (Aggie's Inheritance, #2)
Kate is the USA Today-bsetselling author of many books of women's fiction. Her latest releases are A Vicarage Homecoming and Not My Daughter. Under the name Katharine Swartz, she is the author of the Tales from Goswell books, a series of time-slip novels set in the village of Goswell.

She likes to read women's fiction, mystery and thrillers, as well as historical novels. She particularly enjoys re
“Grief is normal, but it doesn’t feel normal, does it? It feels wrong, somehow. It feel strange.” 0 likes