Start by marking “Persephone (Daughters of Zeus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Persephone (Daughters of Zeus, #1)

Persephone

(Daughters of Zeus #1)

Daughters of Zeus, Book One

One day Persephone is an ordinary high school junior working at her mom’s flower shop in Athens, Georgia. The next she’s fighting off Boreas, the brutal god of Winter, and learning that she’s a bonafide goddess—a rare daughter of the now-dead Zeus. Her goddess mom whisks her off to the Underworld to hide until Spring.

There she finds herself under
Published April 24th 2015 by BelleBooks Publishing (first published July 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Persephone, please sign up.
Kaitlin Bevis It's YA, so anything older than 14 should be fine
Kaitlin Bevis In this universe gods don't pass on genetic material, only power. So the incest taboo is null and void. It still weirds Persephone out though

✘Tabby✘
May 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

I am a sucker for anything with Greek mythology

What I thought

Like I said I am a sucker for anything with Greek mythology. I especially love the tale of Persephone and Hades, so when I saw this was modern day version I had to read it. Sad to say I was disappointed Persephone is your run of the mill female protagonist. I couldn't connect with her and she annoyed me at times with her actions. Hades on the other hand was dark yet soft at times totally swoonwothly. There relat
Jess
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of Greek mythology
Recommended to Jess by: Myself
As you might have guessed by my nickname, I love mythology and I am especially fascinated by Hades and Persephone's myth. Therefore I was really, really excited about this book but at the same time, wary because I've already read a few modern rewritings of this myth and they were downright terrible (The Goddess Test, anyone? Diddn't think a book could make me feel that angry).
And this is undoubtedly the best rewriting I've read so far.

The characters were well-written.
Persephone doesn't care f
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
2.5 stars. I'm a sucker for anything Hades/Persephone, so naturally I had to give this one a go. I liked the general idea/concept behind the plot, but I think the dialogue was what threw me off the most. Everyone talked very predictably... very teenager-like? Hah yes I know that isn't a word. The general idea was awesome and I loved the villain concept.. but it just fell short in the execution phase.

Hades was definitely awesome (like when is he not?!) But I just can't see why he fell for this v
Summer
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: greek-mythology
It seems like I've been constantly let-down with all the attempts of Greek mythology retellings. Namely, The Goddess Test series, Everbound, and now, Persephone.

I'm not exactly sure what made me dislike this book. It was either the stupidly simple plot, the characters, or even the absence of anything remotely interesting. It was likely a combination of the above, and along with the mediocre writing, leading to my disliking of this book.

Generally, it never really felt like anything was at stake.
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
"See, I had a vision-" Cassandra began.
"Always visions with you," Thanatos groaned.
"- that Persephone was in trouble. So I calmly told Hades-"
"If by calm you mean bursting into the throne room shrieking like a banshee," Hades teased.
"I do not shriek," Cassandra said indignantly.

"Anyone who comes down here with the intention to do you harm will regret it."
"Ah yes," Cassandra teased. "Charon could do something really helpful, like hit them with an oar."
"Hey! I'm the self-defense guru! Remember
Suzanne Rogers
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a contemporary, re-imagined take on the Persephone mythology. Beautiful Persephone is raised on Earth, without any idea who she is. When she's about to turn seventeen, strange things begin to happen. I enjoyed the developing relationship between her and Hades, who is much more the good guy here than in most other literary depictions I've read. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of the Underworld. I'm looking forward to the sequel, to see what Persephone is really capable of!
Suzanne
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Greek mythology is a favorite of mine and Bevis wrote a fascinating book here. I will continue on with the series for sure.
Lauren
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love retellings of stories and especially about mythology so I was extremely excited to read this. I wasn’t disappointed!

I loved the characters. Persephone’s voice really shows through and her own personality was able to shine through. Hades personality was surprising in a good way; he has his own reasons for doing what he did. Hades did not do everything right but it was for the right reasons. I like the build up of the love story and not having it happen all at once in a love-at-first-sight
Shay J
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
HOLY HADES THIS WAS PHENOMENAL!

Stop what you are doing. Do you like Greek Mythology? Particularly Persephone and Hades retellings… Have you read so many that have left you unimpressed? Well look no further, Kaitlin Bevis has created an amazing world surrounding our favourite greek gods and goddess that will know your socks off.

This book worked for me in every way, it had great characters with
Roxanne Sukhan
OMG!!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. 6 stars out of 5 for sure! I can hardly wait for the second book in this series!!!!

How can I write a review that does justice to this book? I LOVE this book. It grabbed me from the first page and did not let go. Actually, it still hasn't, since now I'm pining away for the sequel! Thru this book, Kaitlin Bevis has taken the epic and sometimes far-removed stories of Greek Mythology and transformed it into a Young Adult novel that has wide appeal.

Well written,
Treece
Rating: 3 1/2 stars

I took my own sweet time reading this book simply because I could. The best part of this book is the world building. Also the remaking of Greek gods, goddess and persons associated, such as Helen of Troy. Persephone is only 16, true, but she is also a whiny annoying cry-baby. I got sick of her constant pity parties. When the mean girls at the school weren't picking on her, then the meanies in the Underworld were being mean, or Hades was the worst meanie of them all to her. Act
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, fantasy
Review posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

You've all heard about ancient myths, yeah I did to. I've heard about them a lot but about Persephone I haven't heard of before. So I should start this with thank you note, cause today I've learned something new and I'm grateful for that.

I, as a real geek, did my research so it took me by surprise how the author did really good job by creating the story out of it. Just so you know the myth has some similarities but here the story fits better in out time. Here the
Hufflepuff_princess
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have so many books that i loved, but never actully took the time to review. This book however is different, this book is by far the most amazing, well writen and exciting books i have ever read! I highly reccomend this book to anyone who likes romance, action, bad boys or even adventure.
Dani
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
There’s something so compelling and timeless about the Persephone/Hades romance – the beauty falling in love with the beast – as I choose to read the story as though she did end up falling for him over time. You know, despite the whole caveman club-her-over-the-head-and-drag-her-back-to-his-hovel/palace/Underworld-and-force-her-to-stay-there bit. Perhaps it’s the idea of such polar opposites attracting, of finding redemption in another’s love, of compromise, of coming to a deeper understanding o ...more
Victoria
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Everyone secretly wished they were special. But in all my dreams of discovering I was a superhero, or a witch, or maybe even a princess, I’d never gone as far as goddess.

*takes a deep breath* THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST HADES PERSEPHONE RETELLINGS I'VE EVER READ.

Persephone is a normal teenage girl that that loves plants, has a supportive best friend and a loving mother. But Boreas, the God of Winter wants her, so Hades takes her to the Underworld for her protection.

Persephone is just so... perfect.
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-request
I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis is one of the most refreshing indie books that I've read in a while. It stars Persephone, unsurprisingly, who believes that she is just any other 16 year old girl until she finds out that she is actually a goddess! If you have read Greek myths at all, you will recognize characters from Hades to Charon. My favorites include Thanathos, Cassandra, and Helen. Persephone gets attacked by a fellow with win
Isabelle
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gods

I read a lot negative reviews about this book so I hesitated to read this Trilogy at first, but now I am glad I did.

The characters are all well written:
Persephones reactions were quite realistic. She didn’t accept the whole thing at first, but came to terms with it, when it was necessary. She didn’t play the damsel in distress but was determined to learn fighting to protect herself with her own powers and tried to use her brain to think of smart solutions.
Hades was alright, but a little bit sof
Elaine
This was a really quick read for me, mainly because I did skimmed through it.
I adore stories that have to do with greek mythology but unfortunately, this book just wasn't for me. I think it partly has to do with the fact that I got too excited at all the high ratings and got my hopes up.

Normally, I would forgive a cliched storyline if the characters are endearing and lovable enough, or if the book has amazing prose but this book lacked both. The writing was bordering on average and I was less th
Katie Scarlett O Hara
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though it's not the most original book, I've really liked it. The Greek mithology is incorporated rather well here, story feels fresh, especially the author's view on Underworld and I love Hades/Persephone relationship and their characters. It reminds me of Twilight but with the spunk and humor and without that much winning. Also it gets bonus points for making fun of Twilight. I think this is a solid Hades Persephone retelling.
Update: Finally, there is a review on my blog for this series.
http:/
Teresa Mary Rose
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

I don’t think it is a secret that I am a sucker for anything with Greek mythology in it and I take a special liking to the Persephone and Hades myth. So it is really no surprise that I would be drawn to this book. I love a good twist on a great Greek myth and that is exactly what Persephone is.

Here is the premise. Imagine Persephone wasn’t born back in the time of the Greek gods but in modern day. That is this story and it made for a great one. Pe
Samantha
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Greek mythology is by far one of my favorites. Persephone is a young adult novel which forces the emphasis to be on the character development and story line more so than erotic novels. I have to say I've never read anything by Kaitlin Bevis before but I will continue to read this series because she's wowed me. Persephone, the first book in the Daughters of Zeus series, gets a blossoming four stars from me.

Persephone grew up believing she was a mortal until her world crumbles due to an attack an
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Greek mythology, I always have so of course I jumped at the chance to read a story about one of my most favorite stories, Persephone and Hades.

Who doesn't love a story about star crossed lovers?

I love the way Bevis put a modern spin on this story while still very much sticking to it's Greek roots. It really turned out wonderfully.

I loved the main character Persephone, she was strong and a little feisty and very much didn't want to be a goddess, at least at first. She did not w
Sharon Mariampillai
I really enjoyed this read. It was an interesting and refreshing take on Greek mythology. I thought the characters were great. Their interactions with one another was really interesting to see. I thought the book was a bit slow at some part, but overall the book as a whole was really good.

My favourite character was Hades. He had this charm about him. He was the most interesting and complex character. I can't wait to read the second book. I hope the series gets better and better. Overall, a grea
Curly Carla Celebrity Readers

Favorite Quotes:

I wasn’t sure I could handle this. I’d followed in the footsteps of the dead, befriended a prophet, been attacked by a snowstorm, married the King of the Underworld, found out I was a goddess, and stabbed a guy with a pen all in one afternoon. I was terrified of what tomorrow might bring.

At my disbelieving look he sighed again. I thought about offering him an inhaler, but he continued.

This book was quite entertaining. I do love a good Mytho
Rebecca
This was a good quick and easy read. It was based on mythology and focused on the storyline that the old gods and godesses are living in the current day and their powers are returning.

The main character is the title character Persephone, a teenage girl who is living a normal ish life when she is targetted by another God who hopes to capture her and ruin her mind. She finds out she is the living embodiment of the goddess of Spring and is placed in Hades care until Spring returns and her life is
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
When I won this book recently I was really happy because I love reading anything involving Greek mythology. I'm a huge fan of the Covenant series by Jennifer L. Armentrout and the Oracle of Delphi series by Diantha Jones, so I was really excited to read Persephone. The only retelling I've read about her and Hades's story was Everneath by Brodi Ashton but still I can't quite compare all.

I really liked this book when I started it. I liked Persephone's voice and was excited to see what's going on
Leigh
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
ORIGINAL REVIEW AT: Little Book Star

I’ve always been a big fan of Greek mythology ever since I studied and read stories about them in my English class during freshmen year high school. It fascinates and interests me so much so when the author was looking for reviewers, I just had to say yes! This book will not disappoint you, and you will literally keep turning the page until the very last. I brought this book everywhere! While I was shopping with my mom at Big Lots, having lunch at a restauran
Lee (Rally the Readers)
Also posted on Rally the Readers.

* A copy was provided by the author for review.

4.5 Stars

When I began reading Persephone, I wasn’t sure how I was going to like it. The signs pointing to Persephone’s goddess-ness, like having a professor named Homer, living in Athens, Georgia, and attending a concert by a rock star named Orpheus were a little less than subtle. Once Hades rescued her from Boreas and whisked her away to the Underworld, however, I started loving this. The characterizations of the fi
Corina
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Persephone

One of my favorite things to read is a modern day telling of an old story or myth and Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis did not disappoint me. Persephone is living in the modern day world with her Mother attending school, working, and oh yeah, being stalked by some kind of mystical force. Time isn’t on her side and if that wasn’t enough Persephone has absolutely no inkling of who or what she truly is.

I love, love, love that Persephone is a teenage goddess, well technically she doesn’t even k
Franjessca
Review also posted on Book Lovin' Mamas

I always find at least one YA book a year that keeps me entranced...and this was definitely one of them. I would have finished the book in one day, but having a teething baby girl who only wanted her Mama...well let's just say reading went on hold.
Persephone or aka Kora because she rather go by her middle name, has been hearing someone call her name in the wind. She also has been having some mysterious things happen to her. She had her car almost blown aro
Finding a specific book about Persephone and Hades 1 1 Oct 11, 2018 12:26PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Dec 07, 2015 04:40PM
Can't remember Greek Mythology book 2 12 Feb 22, 2015 09:08AM
Can't remember Greek Mythology book 1 5 Feb 06, 2015 09:26AM
  • Seeds Volume One (Seeds, #1)
  • Medusa, A Love Story (Loves of Olympus, #1)
  • Painted Blind
  • Persephone's Orchard  (The Chrysomelia Stories, #1)
  • Asphodel (The Underworld Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dig (Zoe and Zeus Trilogy, #1)
  • Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)
  • First Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Gemini of Emreiana (Gemini, #1)
  • Prophecy of the Most Beautiful (Oracle of Delphi, #1)
  • My Lord Hades (Children of Khaos: The Originals, #1)
  • Forsaken (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • Hera, Queen of Gods (Goddess Unbound, #1)
  • Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1)
  • Reason (Greystone, #3)
  • Radiant Darkness
  • Darkness Watching (Darkworld, #1)
I spent my childhood curled up with a book, and a pen. If the ending didn’t agree with me, I rewrote it. Now, I write my own endings, middles, and beginnings for the Daughters of Zeus series, including the best selling novel, Persephone.

I’ve always wanted to be a writer, and I spent high school and college learning everything I could so that one day I could achieve that goal. I graduated college

Daughters of Zeus (6 books)
  • Daughter of the Earth and Sky (Daughters of Zeus, #2)
  • The Iron Queen (Daughters of Zeus, #3)
  • Aphrodite (Daughters of Zeus, #4)
  • Love & War (Daughters of Zeus, #5)
  • Venus Rising (Daughters of Zeus, #6)
“Charm me into giving you the red M&Ms. They’re my favorite.'
I looked Hades in the eyes. 'Give me the red M&Ms.'
'Still not good enough.'
'Give me the damn M&Ms,"'I snapped.
He snickered. 'That wasn’t very charming.”
64 likes
“Families think they know what’s best for you. Your friends let you figure that out for yourself.” 34 likes