Start by marking “How The Sun Was Brought Back To The Sky” as Want to Read:
How The Sun Was Brought Back To The Sky

How The Sun Was Brought Back To The Sky

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
After the sun fails to shine for the third day, a group of chicks go in search of it with the help of their animal friends.
Published 1975 by Macmillan Publishing

To ask other readers questions about How The Sun Was Brought Back To The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How The Sun Was Brought Back To The Sky

Pinkweeds
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I spent the whole night trying to find this book last night! It's a real task if you can't remember the title of a rare book. I loved this story when I was a child and I can't wait to share it with my child.
Alice
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved this book -- one of the top five I keep as an adult, because I loved it so much as a child.
Emily
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Like other (retold) folktales, there is a situation, a dilemma, or a problem. The sun has not shone in three days, just sad, gray clouds. And like in other tales, there is a journey, and a destination, and help along the way. It's a tale that emphasizes the interdependence of all living creatures, and the sun and the moon and the earth. The young chicks in this tale set out on a journey, and at the end of the journey, something is gained, something is learned, and at the end of the tale there is ...more
Brian
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Reminiscent of the-sky-is-falling stories this one sees a group of adventuring animals on a quest to return the sun to the sky because it had been absent for 3 days.

When they arrive at the sun's house, which looks a lot like American Southwest architecture, the sun is awoken and replies with, "Oh, oh! ... I don't even know how to shine any more." Next comes a display that would make Neil de Grasse Tyson cringe. The animals pour water on, scrub, dry with a towel, and pick the dust off of the sun'
Susan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five stars because my 4 year old grandson loves it, and asks to hear it again every time I see him! There's hope for these kids.
It's a sweet story, with details that make it even more fun to read with a child.
Rosa Cline
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I received this book when I was a very little girl. I remember my mother reading it to me and it being a favorite of mine, then later learnt to read it myself. I then read it to my children and now am reading it to my 2 year old granddaughter! Illustrations are wonderful almost a waterpaint but not really... will captivate listeners and readers both.

The sun hadn't shown in 3 days so little chicks first missed him, then they set out and asked others along the way where the sun lived. They encount
Katie Williams
I found this book when looking up books for a sources of light lesson. It's a story about baby bunnies who venture off to find the sun. They eventually end up finding it sleeping in the clouds, wake it up, and the sun shines brightly and disperses the rain clouds. I didn't use this book, but it was a nice story and a good topic book for sources of light. A lot of the story is fictional, so it would be a good connection for kids to tell the difference between how light works in real life compared ...more
Maria
May 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
The best part of this book is when the animals wash the sun so that it can come back out and shine. Especially when the hedgehog polishes it with his bristles. Otherwise both the pictures and text are forgettable.
Heidi-Marie
I loved the pictures in this book. They were imprinted on my memory and have stayed for a very long time. Although the story may not be profound, it was nice and simple and enough to stay with me.
Gina
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet children's book I heard at work last year, I had to get it for myself!
B.B.
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-books
The poor little Sun is so cute.
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 23, 2011
Lisa
Mar 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Mirra Ginsburg (1909-2000) was a Jewish Russian-American translator of Russian literature, collector of folk tales and children's writer.

(from Wikipedia)