Start by marking “Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academy (Irving Wishbutton #1)” as Want to Read:
Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academy (Irving Wishbutton #1)

Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academy

(Irving Wishbutton #1)

Welcome to the Questing Academy, a school devoted to helping book characters learn their roles. They attend classes while their authors finish their stories, only graduating upon publication. With a student body made up of heroes, villains, support characters, and folks who are just plain narrative window dressing, there’s conflict galore.

Irving Wishbutton arrives at the
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 301 pages
Published July 26th 2012 by Behemoth Books

To ask other readers questions about Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academy

Start your review of Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academy (Irving Wishbutton #1)
Sheila
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Where do books, stories, plots and characters come from? Brian Clopper’s Irving Wishbutton postulates a training academy for new characters, who develop new features, skills and more as their author fills them in. But something is wrong, and this author’s protagonist might have to go on an adventure all his own to set things right.

Irving Wishbutton’s a teen hero in the mold of Harry Potter or Inkheart perhaps, but Wishbutton’s blend of free will and author direction offers a fun meta-story to
Dianne
How does author Brian Clopper create his quirky and FUN tales, aim them toward a younger audience and completely captivate this not-so-young-reader?? How does he flesh out his characters to be so completely endearing, yet fun, brave, flawed and totally unique? Believe it or not, Mr. Clopper tells us in his own clever way with his novel Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academyand he manages to do so while being completely entertaining and whisking the reader off to a world where anything can, ...more
György
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I was not sure if it is a 4 star or a 5 star book for me. In the end I gave it 5 stars.
The book has 2 story lines. One is the story of Irving Wishbutton. The other is the story of 'his' author. The latter tells us how the author, a teacher, includes writing this story in his everyday life and how he develops the story, sometimes rewriting it, creates characters find names and how in some parts the process of writing is not an active process by the author but rather following the story he began
Valentina
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book, with a mix of fantasy and mystery that will capture most readers.
The book is a bit difficult to describe because it is sort of a story within a story. One storyline is Irving’s and the other is his author. Irving’s part of the story takes place in the Academy, where he learns about himself. But as much as I enjoyed that one, I preferred Irving’s author’s story line. I loved to see the way he wrote, shifting Irving’s character and plot. It is very cleverly written.
The writing
A.E. Howard
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Irving Wishbutton is a novel where all the characters are self-aware, that is, they know they're characters! The only exception is the author in the novel's frame story, a delicious little irony. Irving and his fellow characters must survive everything from plot twists to shifting appearances as the author writes and changes things in their world. What will it mean for their sense of self? And will they be able to survive when everything can change on a writers whim? I thoroughly enjoyed this ...more
Jaime Skelton
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jaime by: Brian Clopper
Shelves: fantasy
A copy of the book was given free by the author.

An imaginative and fun start to a series that's friendly for a wide range of ages, Irving Wishbutton and the Questing Academy was a quick and engaging read that always kept the plot moving forward without fully untangling the mystery before the reader. Faster readers may find some pacing issues due to the book's narrative structure.

The premise of Irving Wishbutton is relatively straightforward, and told from two alternating points of view. The
Aimee Becker
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting!

What an interesting book! The action was novel and well-paced, and the characters relatable and believable. Thoroughly enjoyed the author and character perspective. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Harry Potter and other novels like it. Can't wait to read the next one!
Ray
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unpredictable, and absorbing.

I chose this rating because of the very interesting
way the book was written. It held my attention all the way through. The only negative I have is, I am not a real fan of series. I like my books to be complete into themselves.
Barbara Ell
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh my goodness. This book drew me in and kept me. I don't know if it was wanting to know more about what was happening with the characters and what they are going through, or if it was watching the author go through his creative process in writing a novel. All that I know is that when I wasn't reading the book, I was thinking about it and wondering what would happen next.
Mimia TheReader
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I wonder if should just read children’s books because those I really like.

This was a very good book.
Very interesting concept, very well thought-out (even if I have some questions about some things still) and I really enjoyed the different characters.

Now I need to go and read the next one!
Becky
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a neat concept for a book. This was a fun, easy read. I really enjoyed it!
Ronald P. Charpentier Jr.
I loved this book! Extremely creative!
Rue'TheDay Stewart
If I could just stay home and read

I really enjoyed this book the character development is great, I got to the last page and checked three times that it indeed ended. I wanted more. Time to get the second one!
Pop Bop
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A Story About the Story of How to Write A Story

Of the literally hundreds of self published, Kindle freebie, and kindleunlimited books I've read, skimmed and commented on, this is one of the most interesting, entertaining and satisfying finds to date.

The premise struck me at first as a bit twee and too clever for its own good. Irving awakens at the Questing Academy. He is a character being developed by an author. He exists as a "smudge" and only comes into focus, bit by bit, as his author writes
Kira Brighton
*Received free e-copy via BookBub*

This is a decent, typical story that's fairly engaging. It didn't really have a complete story arc, and I felt like the bits about the adult male author were a little odd for a children's book, but it was interesting how his process diverged from mine.
Tonja Drecker
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
What for a fantasy, and what for a delightful world!

The story idea itself is wonderful: A character, Irving Wishbutton, is thrown into a world (the Quest Academy) where he remains until his author completes the story. Of course, being a character 'in progress' has its risks - ones that Irving and the characters around him have no control over. A zombie can transform into a vampire, or a girl will suddenly sprout wings. (All writers know, how unexpected these sudden character changes can occur).
Keith Robinson
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I strongly believe this is Brian Clopper's finest hour to date. It's not his first novel, nor his last, but it will always be a personal favorite with me. The whole idea of it is unique: the main character is (literally) being fleshed out as the story progresses while, in a parallel story, the fictional author goes about his daily routine and jots down ideas. So Irving comes to life slowly and surely at the hand of his unseen creator... and not a moment too soon!

It's hard to explain the plot
Roger Eschbacher
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full of twists and surprises, author Brian Clopper runs his characters through the wringer in this delightful exploration of what it might be like to "live" in a story while it's being written. An enjoyable read from beginning to end.
T.B. Cooper
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really, really, REALLY enjoyed this book… until I got to the end and realized it was a cliffhanger and there was no resolution. It was SO GOOD. Now, I’m super upset & here’s why…

Plot: What a unique and fascinating story premise: a school for W.I.P. characters. Sure, the boarding school idea has been used plenty of times (H.P. anyone?), but that’s pretty much the only obvious similarity. The rest is (for me, at least) refreshing and exciting and believable and new.

Characters: I loved
Hannah Woods
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this! Took a little bit to get into the way the book alternates between two different points of view, but that really adds to the story. The characters were likeable and developed well throughout the book, good range of fun fantasy characters. Really enjoyed the physical descriptions of varying characters and how they were developed. I'm not big on lengthy description and this book hit a good balance of providing a picture but not being too waffley. It ended on a cliffhanger which ...more
Mai
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Maybe three and a half stars. Very fascinating concept with the 'author' starting each chapter with his writing the book (and playing with his kids) and then the character at the Questing Academy. I did find the hero rather annoying and whiny at times though he mostly got better as the story went on. I also wasn't thrilled to get about 90% of the way through only to discover it wasn't a stand alone at all. Sigh...

May or may not read the next book.
Laura E. Mackey
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So original

This is the most original story I have ever had the privilege to read. The last few pages gave me an idea as to what might be going on. The characters are so alive in both stories. I will not tell you what that means because it is what I believe to be the heart of the story. I would give this book 100 stars if that were possible, it is really that good.
Katie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
At first I thought this book was trying too hard to be like Harry Potter. It was kind of interesting to watch all the metafictional developments as the book progressed, though. Ultimately, I think this book needs some tighter editing and faster pacing, but I might be intrigued enough to look into the second book if I can also get it for free/through the library.
Sharon Watkins
Quick read

I began this book after completing another series that was similarly written (Peter Able series). This book may not be as intriguing as the Peter Able books but it can hold your attention and leave you wanting to know more about Irving and the many plot twists.
Kimmarie Pozar
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 tales in one

Three storylines here. The tale of the protagonist at the Questing Academy, the story he is being written into and the narrative of the author. They tie together but also interrupt the flow of the other tales.
Carol Caldwell
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't prepared for two stories in one. The author-of-the-story's story is told in third person at the start of the chapter. Then Irving's story follows. At first he is a smudge until his author gives him a face and character. It's a novel way to tell a tale and makes the plot interesting.
Tom Davidson
For me not as enjoyable as I would like. Well written but jumped back and forth between character and writer
Sigrid Sagud
Dec 09, 2019
Dawna
Sep 03, 2019
chris Charlton
Feb 15, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Awaken (Awakened Fate #1)
  • Beneath
  • The Devil in Beauty (Lord Trevelin Mystery #1)
  • Fearless (King, #1)
  • The Magical Beings' Rehabilitation Center: The Complete Series
  • Sketches (Colony Six, #1)
  • Whispers in Autumn (The Last Year, #1)
  • The Final Formula (The Final Formula #1)
  • The Amplified (The Amplified #1)
  • Intangible (Piercing the Veil, #1)
  • The Atlantis Girl (The Atlantis Saga #1)
  • The Legacy Human (Singularity, #1)
  • The Dragon Blood Collection, Books 1-3
  • A Fistful of Evil (A Madison Fox, #1)
  • Murder in the Manor (A Lacey Doyle Cozy Mystery, Book 1)
  • A New Keeper (The Secret Library, #1)
  • Norse Mythology: A Concise Guide
  • Matchmade Hearts: Valentine's Day (Holiday Knights Series Book 2)

Irving Wishbutton (4 books)
  • Irving Wishbutton and the Revision Ravine (Irving Wishbutton #2)
  • Irving Wishbutton and the Tomb of Tomes (Irving Wishbutton #3)
  • Irving Wishbutton and the Domain of Sagas (Irving Wishbutton #4)