Start by marking “Blackjack Villain (Blackjack #1)” as Want to Read:
Blackjack Villain (Blackjack #1)

Blackjack Villain

(Blackjack #1)

I'm Blackjack. A small-time villain. I know I’m not a big leaguer, but more than one wannabe hero has ended up in traction after getting in my way. I mostly stick to easy stuff, though, like popping banks and armored cars, and make a little money where I can. Living good is nice, you know?
I thought I had it all figured out, until I found a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: A
Published March 28th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

Tio Bones
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love Superhero books
So I just finished this book and I must say that this is probably one of the best superhero books I've read in a while. The main character Blackjack was a complete badass in both strength and intelligence which was just an amazing combo - especially for a 'villain'

I really loved how Blackjack was essentially a villain with the heart of a antihero. Even though I was pretty much expecting him to be more humane than a regular villain (as its something I've seen before), it just felt genuine with th
C.T. Phipps
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
BLACKJACK by Brian Bequer is a supervillain novel which is in the fashion of SOON I WILL BE INVINCIBLE, CONFESSIONS OF A D-LIST SUPERVILLAIN, or my own SUPERVILLAINY SAGA. It's the story of a small-time villain who has the potential to be a big-time villain. He's blessed with the skills of an archer, the strength of Thor, and a genius scientific mind. It says something about just how much of an underachiever the guy is that he's still doing penny ante jobs before he gets recruited by the world's ...more
Reg
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Kudos - A super villain story that doesn't go where you expect it to. I'm torn between a 3 and a 4 star review. Bequer's writing is good - not amazing, but definitely good - especially for this particular genre (the superhero novel) where pretty horrible writing seems to dominate. There are some info dumps and probably too much super combat - but without that a lot of readers might feel cheated. If the combat was more punchy (teehee) the story might move a bit better.

What Bequer does here is to
Coyora Dokusho
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
That was a great way to spend six hours. I was having NO JOY with my demon spree, so I went on to superheroes/villains (they must put on a mask and/or cape to qualify! No substitutions allowed!) and it is working out nicely.

It was epic.

...

EPIC!!!!!!!!

I laughed.

After finishing the book I clapped my hands and fist-pumped the air.

Quibbles: the occasional appearance of slightly. awkward. English. *needs* an editor - it goes along simply *beautifully* and then it suddenly goes tracks off the rails..
Jason Morrison
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Starts a off with a good story but slowly slips into stupidity.
Vivek
Apr 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
God this book is so bad!! The plots are so random and it's just the same stuff from the beginning to end.
May be the author/you should read Brandon Sanderson's Steelhart then read this
Billie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I ended up being surprised by this book. It was recommended to me by a friend, and it just so happened to be the same friend who got me to read "Ready Player One," which I loved. So I convinced myself to trust him, despite my reservations about this book after reading the synopsis. And for the first 51% of the book, I kinda wanted to punch him in the face.

Superheroes aren't really in my wheelhouse, nor are swing-by-swing overly detailed fight sequences that go on and on and on and... You get it.
Chris
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, action
Having just finished reading Seveneves right before this, I have to say that this book was exactly what I needed and/or wanted.

Superheros, action, fight scenes, more action!

I have some criteria for Superhero (genre) stories, criteria for what I think makes such a book (or story) good. This is a gradually expanding field, and some works fit my criteria and ... sadly, some do not.

Such stories need a hero/protagonist who is deceive, who acts (even if such action later turns out to have been a mis
Grant Merrifield
Long live Blackjack

What an epic book I really enjoyed this book I'm really excited to read the rest of the books in the series got my orange Mountain Dew here and now I'm off to read the next book Thank You Been for awesome universe that can visit.
DaMaar
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BlackJack

Enjoyed this one - Superhero Fantasy with a Villain POV. It was very long book that felt like it had 3 distinct acts. I consequently liked certain acts over others. Book didn’t end the way I predicted which was refreshing, definitely will read the next.
Kenneth Rocquemore
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Good Story. However, the writing appeared to be that of a novice. Slow in some places, but I did enjoy the characters.
Samuel Sylvester
Where to begin. Well... the first thing I can think of to say, is that none of the reviews I had read prepared me for this book.

What I normally do when selecting a new book is, judge by the cover, judge by the average rating even if there are a handful of reviews, ( I like to give chances to the obscure self-published guys and the low end publishers), judge the synopsis, then if I like it, I read a few four star reviews that on a glance don't have dozens of caps or exclamation points, then read
Mudit Singh
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book may seem like a superhero fiction but its far from that. It's like the maturing of superman led era into something more. The book has every element to make it a block buster: drama, emotions, solid and mind blowing action, nail biting thrill, heart warming romance, hilarious comedy, a mono-a-mono epic battle, repeated rise-from-the-ashes and surviving-all-odds feeling, and a hero who even after being portrayed as smart and resourceful, somehow gives the feeling of a big lug.

Okay maybe
Jack
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This is my first introduction into the "super" world as this is not my type of reading but looked like a good read and for the most part was interesting, a bit longer than needed and covered more without a real grasp on world building. (I guess it is mostly in our world) The idea of people getting super-powers and what they do with them is very intriguing the fight scene's left me wanting but pretty kewl just with such powers I guess you take a beating and keep coming for more' reminds me of the ...more
Kathy
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Blackjack is a reasonably small time super-powered bad guy, then he ends in court and things spiral out of control when he's hired by a *real* supervillain. I have to say this book is one of the better superhero/villain books I've read. It's a world where things aren't as black and white as they might seem and some of the good guys seem easily as bad as those they fight. It's also as story about truth and the lies we tell ourselves. I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series (and ...more
Peter
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is definietly one of the better anti-hero books I've read. It's overall a fairly good reversal of roles between superhero and villain. I'm going to say that to anyone that likes this genre that this is a must-read. At more than a few parts it does run fairly slow. However, it is quick to pick up and sets the ground for the next book nicely. Can't wait for the next book to come.
Luke
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging storyline with an interesting protagonist. But the book needs some serious grammar editing. The grammar was poor enough to be a distraction from the story.

I enjoyed the idea of the book as well the character and his "friends" but kept having to 're-write sentences in my head to make them make sense.
Robert Medeiros
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Better proofreading and editing would have earned this book another star and a half. Even so there is a rollicking good yarn to be had here for fans of larger-than-life superheroes and villainous mayhem. Looking forward to the sequel.
Allan Quinn
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I want to give this book a 3.5
It was a good book but at some points the story would get disjointed. Overall the main plot was great but sometimes wasnt clear what was happening.
Overall I liked this book and the characters i felt were great
Griffon Walker
A good ride

A much longer and more introspective story then I expected from the sample. It's slightly uneven and has a hand full of editing errors.. But the characters are very compelling and the adventure just keeps trucking, in a good way :).
Aero Idonor
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The first 200-300 were fantastic the story was just so good but then when they went to the other world I just couldn't keep reading. It's was so boring that I couldn't even get halfway through, my suggestions is that you at least read to halfway and if you don't enjoy it just quit.
Ruby Ridge
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rounded up to five stars. A super villain book that makes you look at super heroes a different way. Recommended for fans of the super hero genre and anyone else who enjoys a good read
Puri
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Really enjoyed both books of the series
Henrik Rostoft
Looking forward to the next book in the series
Larry
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! I love the characters.
Michael
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of superhero fiction
Amazing first(?) book by an author that I would definitely read again.
Javier Medero
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Villain saves the day

Unique writing with "hero" that is likable and relatable. Found it hard to put down. A lot of fast moving action.
John Phillips
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun and funny take on the super hero genre. Take it on the surface and enjoy a fun ride, or read deeper and enjoy the social commentary and satire.
Thomas D Sinex
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pretty good debut, it kind of lost itself 2/3's of the way through but finished strong. Looking forward to the next...
Wade Hanna
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Loved it, great original super hero story.

• Subject 12 (Guild Files, Volume 1)
  • Other People's Heroes
  • Villains Inc. (Wearing the Cape, #2)
  • Sensation (Kid Sensation, #1)
  • Distant Star (The Reminiscent Exile, #1)
  • Jack Kursed (Damned and Cursed, #3)
  • Hunting the Corrigan's Blood (Cadence Drake, #1)
  • In Hero Years... I'm Dead
  • Origins of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #0.5)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2)
  • The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #1)
  • Don't Be a Hero
  • Metamorphosis  (H.E.R.O., #1)
  • No Master Plan Here (Madness Runs in the Family, #1)
  • Nobody Gets the Girl (Whoosh! Bam! Pow!, #1)
  • Devil's Cape
  • Demon Driven (Demon Accords, #2)
  • Alien Contact (The Slaver Wars, #2)

Blackjack (3 books)
  • Blackjack Wayward (Blackjack #2)
  • Blackjack Dead or Alive (Blackjack #3)