Start by marking “The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1)

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  108,782 Ratings  ·  10,194 Reviews
Magnus Chase has seen his share of trouble. Ever since that terrible night two years ago when his mother told him to run, he has lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, staying one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, Magnus learns that someone else is trying to track him down—his uncle Randolph, a man his mother had always warned
Published October 6th 2015 by Disney - Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of Summer, please sign up.
Caleb Reese It is her cousin, because in the Blood of Olympus Annabeth said that she had an uncle and cousin from Boston that she wished she knew better, and…moreIt is her cousin, because in the Blood of Olympus Annabeth said that she had an uncle and cousin from Boston that she wished she knew better, and their last name just happened to be Chase. I would personally be shocked if this wasn't foreshadowing for this next series. Fingers crossed that they somehow come together a little bit, and even if Annabeth is not in it, we get to hear more about her and Percy, and the rest of the 7.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Serena Norse Mythology is pretty big on suffering (Odin hung himself for nine days and nights as a sacrifice, pierced by his own spear) and…moreNorse Mythology is pretty big on suffering (Odin hung himself for nine days and nights as a sacrifice, pierced by his own spear) and death/reincarnation (Gullveig was burnt three times, three times reborn). As well all of Odin's warriors/kings in Valhalla were slain ( the einherjar chosen by Valkyries).(less)

Christine Riccio
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really really enjoyed this one! I'm finding the Norse Mythology (which I've never really learned about) FACINATING plus it's full of great diverse characters! Here's my full booktalk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrd1-... ! Let's discuss together!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i'm obsessed. full video book review to come!
Emily May
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars.

Middle grade it may be, but I really enjoyed The Lightning Thief. I thought it was creative, fast-paced, entertaining and with a great message for all kids who feel a little on the outside sometimes. As with Harry Potter, it takes a normal, seemingly unremarkable kid and propels him into a world where he's a hero. And it's just fun!

The Sword of Summer, though, doesn't feel... like anything new. Some people will shriek "No!" at this, but I really think it's time for Mr Riordan to move
Regan
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5
Annie
I finally read this book, after my pre-review got so disturbingly popular. I'm not impressed. It was amusing, but I didn't particularly care about the characters, and I was bored through most of its 500 pages.

Maybe the Percy Jackson concept is something that only works once, and now it's just being overused. It doesn't help that this book is full of Percy Jackson references that seem, well, masturbatory. And pop culture references that will look dated in less than 5 years.

Count me out for the
Kat O'Keeffe
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun! I'm glad this series is in 1st person because Magnus is HILARIOUS and his narration had me laughing throughout. I love the take on Norse mythology, the new cast of characters is fantastic, and I was pleasantly surprised by the direction the story went a few times! Definitely my new favorite first book in a Riordan series. I can't wait to continue the adventure!
Darth J
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series

I'll give Riordan credit for his mythological research, but his writing and characterizations need a lot of work still. Not only does Magnus have the exact same voice and personality as Percy Jackson and Jason Grace, but they all have a weird combination of forced snark and dad jokes that makes them sound more cartoonish than believable--and you need something to ground characters in reality when you have all this magical stuff happening. While it's great that he's trying to include more diversi
Emma Giordano
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read! I've been wanting to read Magnus Chase for such a long time and I was definitely satisfied!

I really loved all of the characters, the world building, and all of the different adventures! I can't wait to read more of this series in the future.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

THE SWORD OF SUMMER was released today! Whoop xD GET YOUR BUTTS MOVING PEOPLE AND GO BUY A COPY FROM YOUR LOCAL BOOKSTORE TODAY :D

*This review is spoiler-free*

Rick Riordan’s books were some of the first novels I read as a reader, and throughout these past years, his books have always remained my all time favourites. Percy Jackson, Heroes of Olympus, Kane Chronicles, and now you can add Magnus Chase to that list of awesome. Why? BECAUSE THE SWORD OF S
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I enjoyed this book a great deal. I'm wanting to get into more Norse Mythology and even though this was a more funny take on those things I still enjoyed it. One star off for making my wolves the bad guys in a book once again. < -- And no, I need no commentary on that.

I loved Magnus friends, well I loved him too. There is a lot of snark and funny moments in the book. And I figured that going into this. I WILL be reading as many books as I can of Vikings etc that are more history based.

Magnu
Clau R.
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, hilarious-humor
OMG, I loved so much the last chapter! Of course Magnus would lose that bet! He needs at least 9 more books to surpass Annabeth, hahaha.
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”The thing about fate, Magnus: even if we can’t change the big picture, our choices can alter the details. That’s how we rebel against destiny, how we make our mark.”

And to rebel is exactly what he does! *lol*

Gosh, I really enjoyed this book. It was such a fun read and I once again was hooked from the very first page. Uncle Rick certainly knows how to tell a good story and my heart instantly flew out to Magnus. That poor boy definitely had a hard life and at the beginning of the book I just wan
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Guess who's a very grumpy camper? *points to self*

In my own little world, I've always told myself that Rick Riordan can do no wrong. Okay, fine, I sort of hated The Blood of Olympus, but The Sword of Summer was supposed to be a fresh start--it was supposed to be the book that would put Riordan back up on my mental pedestal.

Well, I've been fucking let down, Rick. I'm sorry (and sad) to have said that, but it's true. This book was just nowhere near the level of epicness I was expecting. Maybe it's
Bex
Feb 13, 2013 marked it as to-read
YESSS

HELL YEAH. I NEED SOME LOKI ACTION.

yes, Loki, you are fabulous...

But wait... this comes out in 2015?!

I'm sorry, Loki spaz.

Honestly, the Avengers doesn't quite portray the Norse Gods as they were in the myths... they happened to have sleep with a lot more people and get drunk a lot more, but that's beside the point. I think. You may be surprised to know that my weirdness not only encompaces Loki gifs,but extends to Norse Gods as well! Upon learning that Rick would be writing this series,
Maureen
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was a seriously solid first book to this series. I love so many things about this book - the characters, the REPRESENTATION (so many props), the world building, the plot, just everything.
It took a little bit to get going and moving, but beyond that was everything I ever want from a Riordan book - humorous, heart-felt, and fun.
I can't wait for later books and I really hope we are going to get into more of the 9 realms because YES.
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
Short Review:

I went into this with kinda mixed expectations––it sounds like Percy Jackson 2.0 (and well ... it kind of is), plus a bunch of my friends were disappointed by it. But honestly, it was better than I expected. It's no PJO, but I still really enjoyed it. Some thoughts:

- I actually don't know that much about Norse mythology, so it was a fun way to learn a bit about it––although I'm sure Rick Riordan took some liberties and glossed over some things. :P
- I LOVE SAM, OH MY GOD. Why wasn't
Lindsey Rey
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, funny, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Natalie Monroe

"Randolph shook his head in disgust. 'Those movies...ridiculously inaccurate. The real gods of Asgard—Thor, Loki, Odin, and the rest—are much more powerful, much more terrifying than anything Hollywood could concoct.'

'But...they're myths. They're not real.'

Randolph gave me a sort of pitying look. 'Myths are simply stories about truths we've forgotten.'"

Yes, it's time for another drinking game!

The rules are simple. Each time something similar to Percy Jackson shows up and/or happens,
C.G. Drews
That was HILARIOUS. Like incredibly, marvellously FUNNY. I mean, it's Rick Riordan, right?! So you expect that...but I think this is one of his most goldenest books for humour ever (although granted I haven't read The Kane Chronicles yet, so we'll see how they match up!). Basically I'm endlessly pleased with this hilarious novel of Magnus Chase. It felt different from Percy Jackson, but still had the same vibe and hilarity (!!) and also ANNABETH HAS A CAMEO. Magnus Chase is Annabeth's cousin. Sh ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Either my sense of fun and humour has wilted into nothingness or Rick Riordan has started to bore me with his repeating usage of storylines and familiar jokes.

I opt for the latter.

I like to think that I have a good sense of humour - I like to laugh at every single tiny jokes and it takes a lot to snuff out that side of me. Okay fine, to its credit Magnus Chase and The Sword of Summer is funny (it certainly does has its stupid, ri-donkey-lous moments), but the humour instilled here did not succe
Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Elevetha
Aug 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
I knew he was planning on making a Norse series but here it is! Or, rather, the vague idea roaming around on Goodreads that sometime in 2015 there might be a book about Norse mythology by Riordan. Or maybe in a few years after that....Well,

description

Just hope it's more like the Percy Jackson than the Kane Chronicles.

But I really hope that Loki, if he is brought up and we all know he will be, is not a generic villain. Please?

He (and Thor) BETTER NOT be teenagers. Hell, no. I don't need drooling over Lok
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Let’s take that hill!” He pointed to a nearby ridge at the edge of the woods.
“Why?” I yelled.
“Because it’s a hill!”
“He loves taking hills,” Mallory grumble. “It’s a Civil War thing.”

I loved Magnus Chase! The dude was just priceless. His sarcasm and humor was outta this world hilarious. The way he reacted to half the situations he was put in, just had me cracking up several times throughout the story.

This was a super easy, exciting, witty and addicting read! The world building, plot twist
Mara
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads
Rick can't do wrong. Another adventure of epic proportions lead by the incredibly sarcastic Magnus is not "just another" Percy Jackson, but a distinctive and a little bit more grown-up journey featuring dwarves, elves, Valkyries and of course, the master of mischief Loki and his many godly opponents. Hilariously written with a fast-paced plot and diverse and powerful characters. Addictive!

Advanced reading copy provided by Penguin
Mohammed Arabey
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Reading Percy Jackson now, making me feel I was right here. Percy Jackson better Urban Fantasy, this one a bit higher or wilder.
A Breakneck, Jam-Packed Roller Coaster of an Adventure..
’I Know It's Jo’s Blurb for House of Secrets, but sorry, Can't help but use it here too’

The All-The-Ancient-Gods Geek, Rick Riordan takes us in a new Adventure Up and Down the Tree of Laeradr,Worlds of Asgard’s Gods & Viking Myths.

With a Variety of resourceful characters..

Oh and don't forget the Hotel Valhalla,
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is the first book in Riordan's Norse series (though you'll meet a few old friends from the Percy Jackson series along the way). The third and last book in this trilogy, The Ship of the Dead, has just been published. Full review, originally published on www.fantasyliterature.com:

Rick Riordan, who has enthralled millions of readers with exciting tales of teenagers and their interactions with Greek, Roman and Egyptian gods and goddesses, turns to Norse mythology in his latest book, The Sword
Sophia
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
jam! it did take a bit for me to actually get into the story and i don't think anyone can say that riordan's novels aren't at least a little formulaic, but the cast of characters is refreshing and the plot is non-stop (*sings hamilton in my head*). i think the book gets better the more you read and by the end, i was sad to see it was over. also, i cried at the last handful of chapters. i'm a huge mess sorry.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Hilarious! Here's my video review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMIV...
Simona Bartolotta
“To Cassandra Clare
Thanks for letting me share the excellent name Magnus.”

No joking. I swear on all the books I own that this is the actual dedication of this book.
And then people dare ask me why I love metaliterature or what the heck it is...

“The once warriors-the warriors who fought bravely in the last life and will fight bravely again on the Day of Doom. Duck.”
“The Day of Doom Duck?”
“No, duck!”
Hunding pushed me down as a spear flew past.”

Seriously, how am I supposed to review a book that con
Juliana Zapata
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
El tío Rick nunca falla.
Hace mucho quería leer este libro y no había tenido el tiempo para hacerlo, pero finalmente tuve el placer de volver a leer las historias mitológicas de este autor, esta vez con una trama totalmente diferente, mitología nórdica, nuevos personajes, mitos fascinantes, dioses espeluznantes, aventuras extraordinarios y un primo de nuestra amada Annabeth Chase como el protagonista.

El humor de los personajes de Rick es bastante característico y Magnus no se quedó atrás, le verd
  • Odin's Ravens (The Blackwell Pages, #2)
  • The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years, #1)
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • Mark of the Thief (Mark of the Thief, #1)
  • Journey's End
  • The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3)
  • The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)
  • Sky Raiders (Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Eternity Key (Into the Dark, #2)
  • The Last Ever After (The School for Good and Evil, #3)
  • Promise of Shadows
  • Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2)
  • The Strange Maid (The United States of Asgard, #2)
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Search, Part 2 (The Search, #2)
  • Frostborn (Thrones & Bones, #1)
  • The Secret Prince (Knightley Academy, #2)

More about Rick Riordan

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (3 books)
  • The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2)
  • The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Could you do a glamour and turn into something smaller?" I asked it. "Preferably not a chain, since it's no longer the 1990s?"

The sword didn't reply (duh), but I imagined it was humming at a more interrogative pitch, like, Such as what?

"I dunno. Something pocket-size and innocuous. A pen, maybe?"

The sword pulsed, almost like it was laughing. I imagined it saying, A pen sword. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.”
253 likes