Start by marking “Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves” as Want to Read:
Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves

Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves

(Jim Morgan #1)

Young Jim Morgan loves everything about his life: ignoring his old tutor’s lessons, flaunting his new clothes, terrorizing his servants, and perfecting the fine art of snobbery. But the night his father returns from a mysterious sea voyage with the secret to a vast pirate treasure, Jim's world is thrown upside down.

Now Jim must escape the clutches of his father’s wicked e
Published September 28th 2012 by Dreamfarer Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves

YA Reads Book Reviews
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nikki, we-recommend
Nikki Katz
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was a beta reader for Jim Morgan and loved this manuscript the second I started reading it. The voice is impeccable, the characters are relatable and unique, and the reader is immediately swept into an adventure with treasure, pirates, thieves, gypsies, and a test of wits unlike any other.

Jim starts off a bit of a spoiled rotten brat, coddled by his overbearing aunt and feeling entitled to everything his heart desires. But after his father returns from a very long trip, Jim is thrust into a j
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A good old-fashioned adventure story fit for a 21st century attention span, Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves follows its namesake protagonist as his spoiled-rotten world is thrown upside down by his father’s return from a mysterious sea voyage with the secret to a vast pirate treasure. A must-add to the shopping list of librarians, educators, parents and relatives of reading-reluctant boys everywhere!
Kat Heckenbach
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall, this was a really fun book. It starts off with James Morgan, a boy from a noble family. He's a spoiled little brat--but the way the author handles things you can tell part of the story is going to be a transformation of that. I say it up-front because there's often nothing worse than an unsympathetic main character, and I don't want any readers walking away from this book because they're afraid they won't like James.

Young James finds himself on the run with some rather nasty villains af
David Berger
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lord of the Rings. A Game of Thrones. Percy Jackson. American Gods -- These books transported me to different worlds where I forgot for a while that I was actually in the real world. In fact, those books became my real world. While James Raney hasn't been writing as long as these authors have, I found Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves just as engaging, and I was transported to an England where pirates rule the seas, a range of treasures lies in wait for discovery, and wily children not only ste ...more
Tegan
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great Read! Can't believe how long it too me to finally get around to this!

Feels like a Peter-Pan meets Harry Potter.
Pamela Powell
Such a fun read! James (Jim) is rather a brat at the beginning of the story, but circumstances help him grow and mature. I'm hoping for more stories about James!
Linnae Williams
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good kid book. I dont know the reading level but good interest level for 2nd grade and above. Story of pirates and thieves and learning the importance of your friends and family.
Amber M. McCarter
Decent enough writing, engaging story, and an excellent message. I am pleased to have stumbled across these books for my kids, even if I'd prefer less of a... "threatening" context.
Rhonda
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Jim Morgan & The King of Thieves is a exciting middle school adventure. Jim is not a likeable character at the first of the book. He is spoiled brat. The last five years he has been raised by his Great Aunt, Margarita Morgan. While his father is gone on a sea voyage. James is not allowed outside to play. He told he is special, above the servants. He treats the servants badly and even fires them for no reason, because he can.

James father is due home. The whole estate is getting ready f
Kelly Woodward
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
James Morgan, a young boy with a dreaming, adventurous heart, has his world flipped upside down when his father leaves without explanation on a five-year expedition. Six-year-old James is left in the care of his aunt, who does what many caretakers do and molds him into a smaller version of herself. Sadly, Aunt Margarita is a self-absorbed old snoot who speaks to servants as if they are something icky on the bottom of her shoe. James learns from her example and becomes one hell of a self-importan ...more
Jen
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya-juv
Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves was a pleasant surprise and will be a great read for kids in the 8-12 range, or possibly even younger if parents enjoy reading to them. It would make a terrific "chapter-a-night" book for both parents and kids. But the fact that it was written for young readers doesn't exclude older readers (such as my ancient self) from thoroughly enjoying the novel.

The spoiled little rich boy story is a familiar one, but Lord James Morgan is one eleven-year-old brat who goes
Erica Vargas
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jim Morgan and The King of Thieves is for those who are young at heart looking for adventure, humor and a story of the magic of friendship. One of my favorite movies has been The Goonies since I was 9 years old and I have found a book that truly opened up the inner child who once believed in pirates, magic, boobie traps and children who can save the day by sticking together.

I immediately fell in love with the Ratt brothers! They were funny, brave and full of heart. Raney did a great job at creat
Jeanette Johnson
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
This story was cute and had some nice values portrayed throughout the story. Characters were rewarded by being unselfish, loyal and caring friends. James will be coming to my school for our Open House event in May and I am excited to hear his presentation to my students. I would place this book more towards the elementary age I think it will still appeal to a vast number of my middle school kids.

Here is the Amazon summary:

A gypsy curse… A shadow pirate… An ancient treasure… An adventure beyond m
Tracy
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun to read. I could see glimpses of my son in Jim, especially the was he acted in the beginning as one who knows everything or at least can get someone else to do what was needed. But then being forced to actually go out on his own, and sink or swim. I liked how Jim decides to not waste any more knowledge that someone is willing to give him when things are at the worst, and realistically he's not quite so willing to give up his old ways. Now while at this stage he really ...more
Tracey
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun adventure it was to read this book!

When we first meet young James Morgan, he's a little boy running on dunes, carefree and full of imagination. Fast forward to present day James, and we see a spoiled rotten brat who is a living terror to the help of his house. This is due to his aunt who spent the past 5 years molding him into this monster of a human.

His father returns from a long voyage with talk of a treasure, and then suddenly James' world is turned upside down. And thus his adve
Wayne McCoy
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
After a wonderful prologue that shows Jim as a carefree child, playing pirates in the sand dunes, we are introduced to the present day Jim. Jim's father is away at sea, and he is being raised by an aunt that is teaching Jim some horrible habits. Jim has learned to be a spoiled, entitled brat, much to his father's disappointment.

When a turn of fate puts Jim on the run with a mysterious box from his father, he must discover what's really important to himself and return to his true self. Along the
Meg Mardian
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jim Morgan has had his entire world turned upside down. After waiting years for his father to come home and admire the way he has taken up the mantle of the lord of the house, he is surprised to receive his father's disapproval instead. Growing up with his shallow, selfish aunt, Jim has learned to be a great prick who is hated by his entire staff.

On the night of his return, Jim's father is about to tell him a great secret but is instead murdered, and it turns out his aunt had a role to play in
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Welcome to ye olde days in England. Prepare yeselves for pirates, treasures, thieves, and mysteries. James Francis Morgan is old enough (eleven years old to be exact) to make his own decisions and run his life ...until Father, Lord Morgan returns. Life as he knows it has turned upside down in one day and he's on the run.

Raney crafted his story for young male readers. (Girls, you'll enjoy this tale, too!) He hits on some popular themes without going overboard on the swashbuckling or drama. He off
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
This book was good old fashioned, clean fun!! The MC was a spoiled rotten child of a great (rich) pirate. Within the first couple of chapters this boy was betrayed by the people he held most dear, nearly killed a few times over, ran afoul of gypsy cronies, and thrust into the very distinctly un-noble, gritty, thieving life in the underbelly of London's seedy streets. The character development as well as the world building were extremely well done and the very obvious PG rating did not at all det ...more
Ashley Chappell
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pirates, gypsy magic, an endearing hero, and a well-drawn and imaginative world all work together to make this book a fantastic read. The dialogue is witty and engaging and the host of colorful characters will appeal to both the young and the young at heart. This is an incredible book for a debut; the adventure never relents in the fast-paced story and it's almost impossible to find a place to stop. Make sure you have plenty of time when you sit down to read this novel - once you start you won't ...more
Jennifer M
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
A very entertaining story with a wonderful narrative voice. The tale kept my attention throughout and I truly fell in love with the characters, feeling what they felt and wanting them to succeed. It is a simple story, but it follows good story structure. My greatest complaint was the amount of typos, grammatical errors, and awkward sentence structure. These were rather annoying though I was able to see past it because the story was so enjoyable. I would certainly like to read more of Jim Morgan' ...more
Dana
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite an adventure as 11 year old Jim Morgan learns what real treasure is. Having been raised for the past 5 years by his aunt, Jim is a spoiled brat when his father returns from sea. When his father is killed for his treasure, Jim barely survives and winds up among the homeless children thieving on the streets of London. With gypsies,magic, pirates, trasure, and Dickensian child thieves, this is a rousing adventure that children are sure to enjoy.
papasteve
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun adventure story, it has all the right elements: treasure, Pirates, untimely deaths, an evil aunt, etc. I am looking forward to reading the next two. The only problem I had (thus the four stars) and this has nothing to do with the story, was all the typos and grammatical errors. It just needs a good proof read to fix those. Please?
Kat
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice light read. I find some of the righting a little repetitive and the development of the main character lacks subtlety. However, it is a fun light read with an engaging plot and likable and intriguing characters. It also hints at larger events promising an interesting epic story told across the episodic novels.
Maren
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A self-published middle grade pirate story? I'm not sure how I gave it 4 stars, but it pleasantly surprised me. Some parts seemed like a mashup of Oliver Twist/Harry Potter/Treasure Island, and there was plenty of cliche, but it was a fun story with interesting characters and I'm looking forward to the next books.
Adrian
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like a book that can surprise and this one did, various themes played about while carrying an original storyline that left me always wondering...wanting to know what would happen with each turn of the page. Fun, adventurous, heartwarming and engaging for all.
Bill Tillman
Argh, Jim Morgan and the King of Thieves

A rip roaring adventure off eleven and twelve year olds. Magic treasure and the thieves of London. A fantastic coming of age tale, friendship and sharing what life brings you in a heartwarming yarn.
Heather D'amico
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book--exciting to read! All my boys love this series
Michael Elwood
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book, written for 12 year olds. The story and plot are fun and the style of the writer is easy to follow and keeps your interest.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Trouble With Toads (The Secret Stepsister Society, #1)
  • The Warrior's Soul (The Year of the Dragon, #2)
  • Legacy of the Claw (Animas, #1)
  • The Second Guard (Second Guard, #1)
  • Emma and the Banderwigh (Tales of Widowswood, #1)
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): The Omnibus Edition (Dark Child, #1)
  • Forged in Death (The Death Wizard Chronicles, #1)
  • Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Halloween: A Safety Guide for Scaredies
  • A Hollow Dream of Summer's End
  • Z 2136 (Z 2134 series)
  • Rowan of the Wood (Rowan of the Wood #1)
  • Seeking Solace: Book I Solace
  • The Kindling (Middle School Magic #1)
  • The Dream Keeper (Dream Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Worlds Unseen (The Seventh World Trilogy, #1)
  • Pale
  • Zombie, Inc. (Zombie Inc, #1)
  • Memories of Ash (The Sunbolt Chronicles, #2)
James Matlack Raney grew up all over the world, in Europe, Latin America, and Africa. Now he calls Southern California home, writing adventures and occasionally living a few of his own.

Jim Morgan (3 books)
  • Jim Morgan and the Pirates of the Black Skull (Jim Morgan #2)
  • Jim Morgan and the Door at the Edge of the World
“Never accuse a man of a crime for which you have no proof, young Morgan,” Steele said. Jim just hung his head and refused to look up at the captain, wetness glazing over his eyes.” 1 likes