Start by marking “A History of Medieval Europe: From Constantine to Saint Louis” as Want to Read:
A History of Medieval Europe: From Constantine to Saint Louis

A History of Medieval Europe: From Constantine to Saint Louis

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
R.C. Davis provided the classic account of the European medieval world; equipping generations of undergraduate and 'A' level students with sufficient grasp of the period to debate diverse historical perspectives and reputations. His book has been important grounding for both modernists required to take a course in medieval history, and those who seek to specialise in the m ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Routledge (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Medieval Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Medieval Europe

Lauren Albert
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-european
I thought this was a good general history although I think the coverage of the development of the Holy Roman Empire is a bit confusing--both Charlemagne and Otto are referred to as the founder. I may have more to say as I type up my notes but I do think this is a good starting place for someone new to the subject.
Olivia Winchester
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-books
Was a great introduction to the middle ages but can be a bit difficult to dip into as a beginner but I did enjoy it.
Pachara Angkharuengrattana
It's full of details, but the language and writing style is hard to read. It offers some alternative view to the historical facts.
Gayle Noble
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Gayle by: Archaeology, History, Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, Forensics, Depeche Mode, Supernatural (the TV series), Reading, Academic Study, Playing Tomb Raider games
I found this a book of two parts; I really enjoyed the sections on the papacy but found the sections on economic matters and descriptions of the differing ways on dividing feudal property a little dry. It was good that additional comments and material on more recent developments in scholarship were included. Overall, a solid 3 star rating (would have been 3.5 if they allowed halves on the site).
Steve Cooper
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As an introduction to the period, this book cannot be beaten - even now so many years since it was written. New findings and ideas bookend the chapters. They bring you up to date, provide fascinating context, and leave the chapters surprisingly unscathed. My only regret is that my memory won't retain all this information for long!
James Bunyan
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although it is decades old, needs updating and seems to be fairly narrow in surveying predominantly the medieval historical development of the Papacy, France and the Empire, there are still few better places to find a balanced, enjoyable and thorough treatment of the subject.
Emily Grace
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I just read the Viking related parts from this book for my historical enquiry. The book is good, yet has many outdated theories as it from 1957, yet shows a good alternative view compared with many modern scholars.
Joseph
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I've had this book since purchasing it for a university class in 1981. I've still got it and still drag it out occasionally to re-read sections. Not for someone looking for an easy weekend read.
Matija
Jeremy
Jul 05, 2014
Carole-Ann
Aug 03, 2018
Johnny(My Realm Of Books)
Jul 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Better cover 1 12 May 18, 2017 05:46PM
  • The Penguin History of Medieval Europe
  • War in the Middle Ages
  • Early Medieval Europe, 300-1000, Second Edition (History of Europe (St. Martins))
  • The Making of Europe: Conquest, Colonization, and Cultural Change, 950-1350
  • Anglo-Saxon England (Oxford History of England)
  • The New Penguin Atlas of Medieval History
  • Medieval Civilization 400-1500
  • The Secret History
  • Women in Purple: Rulers of Medieval Byzantium
  • The Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean
  • Medieval Machine: The Industrial Revolution of the Middle Ages
  • Frederick II: A Medieval Emperor
  • The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 4-6: Volumes 4, 5, and 6
  • The Knight, the Lady & the Priest: The Making of Modern Marriage in Medieval France
  • 1066
  • Charlemagne: The Formation of a European Identity
  • The Oxford History of Byzantium
  • The Oxford History of Medieval Europe
Ralph Henry Carless Davis (7 October 1918 in Oxford – 12 March 1991 in Oxford), always known publicly as R. H. C. Davis, was a British historian and educator specialising in the European Middle Ages. He was a leading exponent of strict documentary analysis and interpretation, was keenly interested in architecture and art in history, and was successful at communicating to the public and as a teache ...more