Start by marking “Rowing Into the Son: Four Young Men Crossing the North Atlantic” as Want to Read:
Rowing Into the Son: Four Young Men Crossing the North Atlantic

Rowing Into the Son: Four Young Men Crossing the North Atlantic

The daring true story of the first North Atlantic Rowing Race, and the endurance needed by a team of companions to row their way to victory across the Atlantic Ocean.

On June 10, 2006, college friends Dylan LeValley, Greg Spooner, Brad Vickers, and Jordan Hanssen stepped into a 29-foot rowboat as the only American competitors in the first North Atlantic Rowing Race, pulling
Published November 1st 2012 by Mountaineers Books

To ask other readers questions about Rowing Into the Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowing Into the Son

Start your review of Rowing Into the Son: Four Young Men Crossing the North Atlantic
Alyssa Hagmann
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing

As a friend of the author and follower of the OAR Northwest journey, I must admit to an inherent bias when I finally got my hands on the book I've been waiting several years for. That being said, Jordan Hanssen did a magnificent job giving life to this amazing story in a way that will reach far beyond the rowing community and racing enthusiasts. His frank appraisal of his own role and the complex relationships between the four rowers is perfectly framed by their white-knuckle encounters with
Scott Louis
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
To say I was pleasantly surprised by this book would be a dramatic understatement. The story of these young men and their journey is compelling in its own right, and if that were the extent of the book, it would be good-to-excellent.
However, framed in Jordan's struggle to reconcile himself to the death of his biological father at a young age and how to view his stepfather, this book becomes far more than the sum of its parts.
There are moments of intensely raw emotion, both between the members
Ashley
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The entire time I was reading Rowing Into The Son I just kept shaking my head. Why would they choose to do this? To make this journey? To sacrifice and suffer for so long? And yet, even as my mind was baffled by their adventure, it began to understand their reason for wishing to row across the Atlantic. To be the first Americans to row from North America to Europe. To beat a record, to win a race. The struggles of the crew, physically, emotionally, and from their simple lack of food kept me ...more
Tristan
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jordan has been a rowing mentor and inspiration since I joined the Puget Sound rowing team in 2004. I awaited this authorial undertaking as much as I have his many adventures and I was not disappointed. Although I closely followed the team's preparations for their 2006 ocean race and the race itself, Jordan's book shed a whole new light on the undertaking. The intensity of the physical and emotional exertions and rewards really comes through in this gripping read. Kudos Jordan, bon voyage and ...more
Bruce
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Two weeks into the row it was discovered that the person in charge of food failed to fully stock the boat and the remaining food would have to be rationed for the rest of the voyage. Unfortunately from that point forward we heard entirely too much about food. It was an almost daily obsession with the author. Included was how each of the other three crew went about forgiving or not forgiving the offender. The row itself seemed almost a corollary. Readers would find better alternatives in Gerard ...more
Sara Benolkin
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. A beautifully told story of the epic and inspiring journey of four young men rowing from NYC to the UK. It captures their process, tenacity, longings and frustrations. The shared humanity of pushing ourselves and what we think is possible. It exemplifies the brotherhood of the rowers and the rowing community, which is rich in history. The love and loyalty of family and friends and the many people that contributed to their journey. It elegantly describes the ...more
Joe White
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Review – Goodreads 07/03/14 Rowing into The SON

Jordan Hanssen

Goodreads – 3 stars

The first half of this book moves at a brisk narrative pace and discloses many technical details of the North Atlantic Ocean Row. Among the details I was most interested in, which I have not seen discussed elsewhere in book form were the rowing seats, oars construction, pin problems, rudder and skeg construction, and some knocks on Woodvale organizational construction and sponsorship support efforts.

Most ocean rowing
Steph Lagana
This was wild. I have been on some crazy adventures in my life but nothing like this and I can't tell you how glad I am that I was able to read about this and not do it!

The way that Jordan writes brings you on the journey in a fashion that most explorers want to reach but aren't quite able to land. I cannot wait to read more from him.
Rosalie Olds
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jordan Hanssen narrates a harrowing and compelling tale of an amazing sea adventure he took on with three other rowing buddies. The beginning of the story starts out a little disjointed and slow as he starts the adventure and then looks back on the process to get there, but once the story stays on the sea I couldn't put it down. Four young men rowing a boat from New York to England is an amazing feat.

One of the strongest aspects of the story is the moment in the middle of the ocean when they
Ron Mion
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I seldom find time to read non-business-related books. I'm glad I took the time to open this book which became increasingly hard to put down. I didn't expect to find top-drawer writing coming a world-class rower.

I had followed the adventure daily via the Internet as it originally unfolded in the summer of 2006. The whole thing was obviously an amazing – some say crazy – undertaking for four young men (one of them my nephew). But it wasn't until I read the book that I had an inkling as to how
John
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hanssen writes about four men who set themselves the improbable task of rowing across the Atlantic in a 29 foot fiberglass rowboat. I found myself reading far later than I intended on two successive nights, keen to see how the trip ends and anxious for the rower's safe arrival on land. The story was well told and for this alone the book well worth reading.

Hanssen relates the adventure in a way that never masks the fact that humans are doing this. Sure, you have to be very brave to try attempt
Ephrat
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible achievement! These four young men set out to do the seemingly impossible, and they did it. Jim Hanssen takes you on every step of the way, the good with the bad. Through him you experience something that few in this world know, and even fewer understand. Both the physical and mental stamina it took to cross the Atlantic by rowboat are orders of magnitude beyond what most mortals can imagine, but it gives hope that when you want something that badly -- you can achieve it. ...more
Kayla Henry
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this through Goodreads First Reads. I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy Rowing in the Son because it's not something that I'm generally interested in, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's an amazing adventure story that kept me fully engrossed from the first to the last page. And as someone pretty new to rowing, I kept thinking, I can't believe they're doing this and asked myself could I even do anything close to this? Always love books that make me ask myself that! I have recommended it ...more
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've done some insane things, (like, taking a 30 day backpacking trip at 14 years old), I intend to do some things people classify as crazy in the future, as well. (Biking a few different countries with our three kids in tow is top of our "crazy list".)

However, I'd have jumped this ship during the 9 day Erg ride.

These guys are ballsy and I loved their tale.

You should read it, because you will too.
Lenora Rogers
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was not sure if I would like this book, but it is great. These four men learn a lot about themselves on this journey. I admire their strength when things get hard. They also learn they working together no matter your differences, will help you succeed. I think this book is a good lesson for all of us about what family is and what is most important in your life. I also have to say a great adventure.
Tommy
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The author painted a vivid picture changing each time I turned the page. The life at sea turned into a stunning narrative that even though I knew the outcome made me want to finish and delight in each detail.

It's wonderful tale of adventure and I've already secured copies for relatives for the holidays!
Elke
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The way it was written, I felt like I was there watching over all that was going on as it happened and if I put the book down I imagined them floating out in the ocean waiting for me to start reading again so the story could continue. I didn't want to put the book down, it was an amazing adventure, very well told.
Anne
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fantastic must-read narrative of a real-life adventure on the high seas. Jordan Hanssen makes you feel as if you are part of his team's record-setting row. Appealing on so many levels ~ any reader will pick it up and enjoy it! Get your copy now!
Lynn
Oct 01, 2013
Steve Page
Nov 02, 2016
Tonya Froemel
rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2012
Chrystopher Hansen
Nov 19, 2013

• Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
  • The Great Work of Your Life: A Guide for the Journey to Your True Calling
  • Daughter of the Forest  (Sevenwaters, #1)