Start by marking “Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)

Darkness Hidden

(The Name of the Blade #2)

In the electrifying second volume of Zoë Marriott's The Name of the Blade Trilogy, Mio, Jack and Shinobu have defeated the terrifying Nekomata against all odds, and brought Jack's sister home alive.

But Mio is still compelled to protect the katana, her family's ancestral sword, and now the Underworld has spawned a worse monster – one carrying a devastating plague that swee
Published July 3rd 2014 by Walker Books (first published June 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Hidden

Start your review of Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)
Eilonwy
Wow. I loved every word of this. Let me recover from the non-stop pace and emotional whirlwind, and I'll try to write a coherent review.
Dayna
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Hopeless Romantics
When I first read the First book of the triology, The Night Itself, I was instantly hooked. Ancient Fox spirits, kickass kimonos, shining katanas and legandary Japanese creatures infused with urban times? Count me in!! I was hopping round and round. The book was a rare jem, with a plot that seemed to sing in sync with all my desires for a perfect book. That is why when I Saw Darkness Hidden snuggled quietly in a shelf in my local library, I squealed and teleported back home using black magic and ...more
I loved The Night Itself and have been looking forward to Darkness Hidden ever since I finished it so it's been a long year waiting for this release. Sometimes you pick up the second book in a trilogy only to find yourself disappointed by a book that feels like padding for the rest of the series but happily that isn't the case here and Zoe Marriott has given us a story that is just as strong, if not stronger, than the first book.

Mio may now have a better idea of what her katana is capable of but
Andrew
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review Taken from The Pewter Wolf

After the terrifying ending of The Night Itself, Mio, Jack and Shiobu bet all the odds and defeated Nekomata. But Mio is still compelled to protect the katana, her family's ancestral sword. And now the katana's voice is in her head, trying to turn her into its puppet.

And when things can't get worse, a plague is sweeping through London and there's something very wrong with Jack's sister, Rachel...

With all this pressure piling on Mio, she soon begins to wonder a ho
Dylan
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
God, this sequel was insane.

It's an emotional roller coaster ride for fantastical awesome. And I believe this is my favorite fantasy series. Yep, it was amazing, and soul crushing...CRUSHING I SAY!!!

I loved it though, if you haven't read this trilogy yet...do it. Now. Please?
Summers
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this evil vs evil/good series... (except for the language... :-( )
Cecilia Rodriguez
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Marriott picks up her story a little after the conclusion of her first novel.
Narrated by fifteen year old, Mio, the action in the story reminded me of
Buffy and the: Hell Mount episode.
Emily
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking
Tonya Rossatti
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really great!
SoKawaiiBebe
Much better than the first book. Could of finished this a long time ago, but I had to beat FF7R and P5R lol. Eh, what can ya do
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Zoe Marriotts books to date and I feel her writing only grows more and more amazing with every book she publishes. When I picked up Darkness Hidden, I was truly in awe because I simply loved each and every page of it! There were no niggles, no shadows of doubt over plot or characters, the story just swept me up in its arms and carried me from beginning to end in that pleasurable haze that comes with all good storytelling. Its a magnificent read!

Picking up mere hours from where
Ashley
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: royal-reads, trc-2016
To understand the story in this book you would definitely need to read the first book in the series "The Name of the Blade". That book was gripping and had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Mio is a teenage girl who lives in London where her Japanese mother and father along with her paternal grandfather emigrated. Her father and grandfather had a very strained relationship. Her father does not talk much about their Japanese heritage as if he wants to forget they even have any. In t ...more
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Oh wow, how much did I love Darkness Hidden by Zoe Marriott?! Darkness Hidden is the second book in urban fantasy Name of the Blade trilogy which follows on shortly after the events of the first book in the series. If you can't quite recall what happened during The Night Itself, do not fear: the publisher, Walker Books, have kindly included a page and a half summary of what happens and who the main characters in the trilogy are in order to refresh your memory. I really do hope that other publish ...more
Rich in Color
Oct 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
With so many fantasy novels set in European mythology, having a book that breaks the “status quo” is refreshing and Zoe Marriott’s Name of the Blade series is the perfect fit. Candlewick Press was kind enough to send me both books from the series, so I was able to enjoy Name of the Blade and Darkness Hidden back to back. To say I enjoyed both novels is an understatement. When I finished Darkness Hidden, I was ready to read the final installment, because like many authors before her, Marriott lef ...more
Luna
It’s another Zoë Marriott book and I’m going to be looking up all the different words to say amazing, breath-taking, stunning, beautiful, etc. Well – yes. Sorta. Maybe. Here’s the thing as much as I want to just go ahead and gush for the next 500+ words about how much I love this story I’m aware that this is what I do for all of Zoë Marriott books.

And let me just say that she completely deserves all that praise because she is an amazing writer but I thought this time I’d explain it a bit better.
American Mensa
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darkness Hidden is the second book in the Japanese fantasy series by Zoe Marriott called the Name of the Blade. Darkness Hidden takes place in modern day London. This book is a bit of a challenging, dramatic read. I would mostly recommend it to teenagers, since some of the language is a bit old for young children. You need to pay attention to what’s happening, lest you miss something important.

This series is written in first person point of view, with the main character being Mio Yamato, a stubb
Beth Kemp
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for book 3. This instalment of Mio's quest is pacy, tense and heartbreaking by turns. One of my favourite things about this brilliant novel is that it progresses Mio's big story but also absolutely wraps up its own story. I loved seeing more of the Kitsune, and learning more of Mio's family's story, in amongst all the danger and action.

This series is fantastic in every sense. It’s a kick-ass urban fantasy with plenty of pace and action, combined with emotional depth and satisfying cha
Ms. Yingling
November 10th 2015 by Candlewick Press

In this sequel to The Name of the Blade, Mio, Shibonu, and the katana are back. The Nekomata has been destroyed, and the entire kitsune kingdom is grateful, but there is a greater evil on the loose now, and only Mio can save the world. Izanami's Handmaidens, aka the Foul Women, are spreading a plague that is sending hundreds of people to London hospitals. Both Jack and Rachel have been affected, and Mio feels responsible. Something about the katana is bothe
Barbara
"Breathless" is the perfect word to describe how this book, the second installment of The Name of the Blade urban fantasy trilogy, left me feeling. As Mio Yamato continues to deal with the consequences of having unearthed the katana, the sword her family has protected for centuries, London is bedeviled by a strange plague and Foul Women fill the air with their forms and their feathers. As Mio's best friend Jack recovers in a hospital, she and Shinobu look for a way to stop the monsters in their ...more
Denise
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Mio and friends may have defeated the Nekomata, but the danger is far from over. Now a magical plague spreads through London, caused by the touch of another species of demon in service to the goddess Izanami, and Mio's best friend Jack is among the infected. While trying desperately to find a way to rid the city of the Shikome who spread the disease, Mio also finds it harder and harder to resist the call of the sword, which clearly has a mind of its own.
A highly enjoyable sequel to The Night Its
Nic
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I don't know where to start really. Darkness Hidden kicks off immediately after the end of the first book, with the characters having a number of questions to find answers to as a result of the battle they just faced. Marriott gives us about 5 minutes before the action starts again and we're in another thrilling adventure. The characters have developed significantly. I particularly liked the relationship between Mio and Shinobu, which crackled and sparked beautifully, navigating many highs ...more
Yu Xuan
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Deciding to continue with this series is the best decision I've made so far in 2015.

This sequel is better than the first ten times over because everything I found really iffy in The Night Itself was improved in Darkness Hidden. My favourite thing was how there was actually character development. How Mio broke down and got angry/ frustrated showed the realistic effects of the stress she has been through which made me like this book even more. I also liked how the author was able to show how the i
Anne
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Sequel to The Name of the Blade
While Mio achieved great success with the help of her sword and her friends, now a new threat is attacking London. Mio's sword is becoming more powerful and is trying to seduce Mio into giving up her control. The outlook is grim!

As is often the case for me, I found the sequel to be a bit disappointing after an original and enjoyable first book. Plot points were predictable; characters seemed to lack development.
However, I think students who enjoyed the fir
Chin-Ning Chong
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I still stand by my opinion that Mio is a typical 21st century spoiled selfish kid. At least she decided to save the world in the end. Like hello, the world doesn't exist if you don't sacrifice something at least once. Overall, still a pretty good book and I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN - the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi? Pretty famous sword in Japanese mythology. I think I know its next true name, if it ever comes to that. Still like the book, doesn't mean I have to love its characters.
Diane Ferbrache
Fantasy set in the world of Japanese myths and legends that continues the story of Mio, her magical Katana, and her companions. I found the storyline confusing, so did not finish the book. Reviews state that one should not read book 2 without reading book 1, so I suspect that was the source of my confusion. Book 2 picks up literally the moment book 1 ends. Since it’s in a similar vein of other YA novels focusing on traditional myths and legends, this series should appeal to fans of the genre.
Kendra
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-copy, signed
Just as action-packed as The Night Itself, Darkness Hidden is a fantastic follow-up. We learn lots more about Mio's family background and the nature of the epic struggle she's tangled up in. This book felt considerably darker, the stakes higher, and after that ending I can't wait to read book three.
Sharon
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for the book.

5 stars for badass Mio, Shinobu and Hikaru the fox spirit.

A very strong second book which was exhilarating and heartbreaking.

I appreciate the summary of the first book given at the beginning.

I also like how different this series is, with the monsters being from Japanese mythology.
Deirdre
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A synopsis of the previous book was so useful. Everything that happened has had consequences and now they have to face up to them. Plus bonus terrible choices that have to be made and Mio fights her blade so hard. None of the team are unaffected by what happens and I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.
Amanda
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the second book of this trilogy just as much as the first. There was great action, more romance, not nearly enough Jack, and now we understand a bit more about Mio's complicated family past, all interwoven with Japanese mythology. I look forward to seeing how everything is wrapped up in book three.
Suzana
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shinobu is quite possibly the sweetest book boyfriend I have ever read :) this book was once again another amazing book from Zoë Marriott and I cannot wait for the next name of the blade novels to come out :)

• Pumpkinflowers: A Soldier's Story of a Forgotten War
  • The Marrow Thieves
  • Unstoppable
  • The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods
  • Slay
  • The Light Jar
  • The Novice (Summoner, #1)
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
  • Crystal Singer (Crystal Singer, #1)
  • Killashandra (Crystal Singer #2)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • As She Ascends (Fallen Isles, #2)
  • The Invention of Hugo Cabret
  • When She Reigns (Fallen Isles, #3)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • Loki: Where Mischief Lies
Zoë has known that she wanted to be a writer since she read 'The Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton at age eight. She's never changed her mind in all the years since then.

She completed her first manuscript - a truly embarrassing romance novel - at age sixteen, and kept on writing books and submitting them until she had collected rejections from nearly very publisher in the UK and two in Australia.

The Name of the Blade (3 books)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • Frail Human Heart (The Name of the Blade, #3)

News & Interviews