Start by marking “Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)” as Want to Read:
Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)

Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,123 Ratings  ·  1,729 Reviews
Does one need four fully grown foxgloves for decorating a dinner table for six guests? Or is it six foxgloves to kill four fully grown guests?

Sophronia's first year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality has certainly been rousing! For one thing, finishing school is training her to be a spy--won't Mumsy be surprised? Furthermore, Sophroni
Published November 2013 by Hachette Little, Brown & Co

To ask other readers questions about Curtsies & Conspiracies, please sign up.

Yu-chi There's a stronger hint in the second book. They talk about flirting practice, courting, declaring. Then there's actual flirting, a few cheek pecks,…moreThere's a stronger hint in the second book. They talk about flirting practice, courting, declaring. Then there's actual flirting, a few cheek pecks, and one brief kiss.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
133rd out of 2,462 books — 12,431 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeEtiquette & Espionage by Gail CarrigerHis Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikSorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede
Fantasy of Manners
6th out of 141 books — 254 voters

More lists with this book...

Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc)
Apr 21, 2016 Hailey (HailsHeartsNyc) rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-in-2016
This series is so much fun!
Khanh (the Grinch)
“What’s a man like down there?”
“Oh.” Sidheag wrinkled her nose. “Unimpressive. They have,” she gestured toward her own nether regions with one hand, “a sort of dangly sausage—lacks tailoring.”
Brilliant description, brilliant!

If ever there was an enjoyable book featuring a Mary Sue of a heroine, this is it. Despite my rating, I liked reading this book, because it was a funny, quick, fast, very light read. My main problem: that's just it. There is absolutely zero complexity in the book, it was
God's Eye Galateea
Feb 08, 2013 God's Eye Galateea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
UPDATE REVIEW

OLD: I'll probably be ambushed and hanged for saying this, but... I kinda liked the "rake-in-training" from the other school. He was an intriguing character and I don't know why, it looked to me like Sophronia wasn't too oblivious to his charms (the descriptions from her point of view kinda imply that she thought he wasn't too bad (big underestimation here, girls)). In comparison with Soap it’s just... dunno… like they are just plain friends, with no romantic feelings involved betwe
Lindsey Rey
Mar 18, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Science, fantasy, plotting, school, tea.

There's something about Gail Carriger's steampunk world that I can't get enough of. In fact, it's not just something. It's everything. I freaking love it all.

With each book I fall even more in love.

I loved finding out even more about the characters I love. And that was a fantastic introduction to Lord Akeldama, the only thing this serious had been missing was that crazy teapot.
Lucie
Ještě lepší než první díl! :D
Hayat
Curtsies & Conspiracies is an excellent sequel to Etiquette & Espionage and the Finishing School series is quickly becoming one of my favourite fun YA series to read and Gail Carriger is now my favourite steampunk writer. I Can't wait to read more about Sophronia's madcap adventure and mischief at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.
Natasha ?
Mar 02, 2013 Natasha ? marked it as to-read
OK. I am in love this this series covers! I mean LOOK!
description
description
They are just... AMAZING!
And I'm just about to start reading Etiquette & Espionage so I'm hoping that the stories are as good as the covers!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It would appear that Gail Carriger gets even more bold and hilarious with each new book she writes. Curtsies & Conspiracies is her most enjoyable work since Soulless, her debut, and it is by far the most outrageous and ridiculous thing I’ve read in a very long time.

By far the best thing about Carriger’s books is the language. As a non native speaker, I get to learn so many phrases and expressions, most of them outdated, but endlessly entertaining. In terms of language use in steampunk, Gail
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
This remains a bizarrely entertaining series. Sidheag has become my favorite character, besides Soap and Bumbersnoot. Quite a bit more action in this installment, and it's nice to know that (view spoiler). I got a bit lost near the end, when Sophronia and Sidheag went to retrieve Dimity and Pillover, but things got back on track without too much trouble. Who knew vampires + werewolves + technology could be so confusing? ME. Still a ...more
Maria Snyder
Oct 26, 2014 Maria Snyder rated it it was amazing
Book 2 of a new series by Gail Carriger. I've downloaded the audio book and listened to this on my road trip to North Carolina. I love Gail's books - they are funny and smart and quirky, and the characters are proactive and intelligent and willing to do what it takes to help their friends. I loved the inclusion of a few characters from her Parasol Protectorate series, who I miss! The actress who reads these books is perfect. I can't read one of Gail's books because I'm not as good as the reader ...more
Freckles
Oct 29, 2014 Freckles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tahle série je prostě úžasně roztomilá.
Quite lovely, indeed.
Nikki
Jun 03, 2015 Nikki rated it liked it
Like the first book, this YA book set in the world of the Parasol Protectorate is a fun romp with slightly less sex talk than the Parasol Protectorate books. It still has a bit of romance, but it’s mostly banter in keeping with the age of the girls, with a touch of teenage confusion and angst as regards having feelings for anyone. They’re not books with great depth: the perfect description is a ‘romp’, as many people have said before me.

It annoys me that people complain about Sophronia being a ‘
Giovanna
Jan 04, 2015 Giovanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Our biggest concern is what you get up to when we are not watching. Because, if nothing else, this test has told us you are probably spying on us, as well as everyone around you."

Ah Gail Carriger has done it again! I like this series even more that The Parasol protectorate; it's so funny and clever...and I must admit, quite refreshing. Also I have the cutest ship ever *cough* Soap *cough*

After her first tests at finishing school Sophronia, since her friends are acting weird, decides to take mat
Agne Jakubauskaite
Jan 13, 2016 Agne Jakubauskaite rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who enjoyed the first book
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

Gail Carriger’s “Curtsies & Conspiracies” is the second book in the young adult fantasy series Finishing School. It’s Sophronia’s second semester at Mademoiselle Geraldine’s Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality where she is being trained on etiquette, style and… espionage. The 19th century is an era of inventions, and thus the dirigible school is heading towards London to witness a history-changing experiment. But the young ladies at Mademoiselle Geraldine’s are mor
Dark Faerie Tales
Oct 29, 2013 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Carriger knows how to write paranormal, for all ages. A wonderful and riveting sequel.

Opening Sentence: “Miss Temminnick.”

The Review:

Gail Carriger has done it again with Curtsies & Conspiracies, the second book in the Finishing School series. From vampires, to aether technology, and a conspiracy well worth conspiring about, Carriger has hooked me again. This book has captivated me from the first few pages until the very end. Carriger ha
Eden
Nov 18, 2013 Eden rated it it was ok
Probably the most disappointing aspect of Curtsies & Conspiracies is the writing. Gail Carriger is the author of an adult steampunk series and the first book in this series, Etiquette & Espionage, suffered from no such problems (or diminished ones, at any rate). Therefore, the jarring leaps between limited 3rd-person POV and omniscient, the awkward dialogue tags and the telling rather than showing make for an unsatisfactory, bumpy read.

This is especially evident in contrast with the voic
Megs
Sep 13, 2013 Megs rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the world Gail Carriger has created. The mixture of Victorian manners with paranormal creatures, not to mention a dash of steampunk, completely sucked me in.

In Curtsies and Conspiracies, we reunite with Sophronia, who I fell in love with in Etiquette and Espionage. The secondary characters are also awesome, especially Soap, who I'm a little bit totally in love with. We get a new secondary character (well we met him briefly in book one) in Lord Felix Mercer. While I can't say I
Dylan Benito
May 27, 2013 Dylan Benito rated it it was amazing
Sophronia is back! I loved watching her, and her friends evolve into older, more finished people. Having loved the Parasol Protectorate, it is wonderful being able to get the background on some of my favorite characters. It was incredibly easy to give this book five stars. The only thing I'm sad about is having to wait for the next book to come out. We need to clone Gail Carriger so we can read more about the delightful world she has created.
Marina
Oct 29, 2015 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, own, own-ebook
Curtsies and Conspiracies is a fantastic sequel to Etiquette and Espionage and a great continuation to the Finishing School series. It's a light, fast-paced, action driven adventure. I really like Sophronia and her gang of friends. She's a bit Mary-Sue-ish, but I don't mind. The series is very entertaining, interesting, and original. I love it.

Highly recommend for some fun reading.
Vendea
Tuhle sérii jsem si nehorázně zamilovala. V porovnání s prvním dílem tu bylo trochu víc akce a méně kapitána Nialla. Objevil se tu ale Felix, kterého jsem si zamilovala a doufám, že bude i v dalších dílech. Sorry, Mydloune.

4/5*
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Oct 29, 2014 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
I really loved the audio version of the first book so much that even though I received a copy from the publisher to review, I wanted to once again listed to Moira Quirk narrate and all of the fun that comes with listening to her quirky accents and voices. She really does bring this series to life with the voices and the character and warmth she projects into the storyline. I honestly don't know if I would like this series as much as I do without her little added extras.

I really enjoyed
Paper Droids
Dec 30, 2013 Paper Droids rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I recently ripped through Gail Carriger’s steampunk “Parasol Protectorate” series, and I admit that I was a bit hesitant to pick up its Young Adult counterpart (even as a young adult I didn’t read much YA – I was too busy re-reading Lord of the Rings for the 8000th time). But I caved pretty quickly, since the “Finishing School” series takes place in the same world as the adult series, only 25 years earlier. Any uncertainty was quashed in the first book, Etiquette & Espionage, and its sequel ...more
Althea Ann
Oct 16, 2014 Althea Ann rated it liked it
The continuing adventures of Sophronia Temminick, intelligencer-in-training, at Miss Geraldine's Finishing School.

As other reviewers have pointed out, the plot here is very slight. (There's an invention that may revolutionize travel, and the vampires don't want humans to gain a monopoly. In order to stop this, they're willing to pre-emptively resort to desperate measures - including trying to kidnap Sophronia's friends...)

However, the plot isn't really the important part. The humor - and the app
Booknut
From ballgowns and bowler hats, to parties and prototypes, Curtsies & Conspiracies will capture your attention, your mind and your heart.

Not only is it intriguing, with a collection of twisting plots and mysteries to solve, but it's a book filled with laughs and an endless array of gadgets that any sane young woman would love to see up close! Not to mention Sophronia, who is definitely one of my favourite YA heroines - with a tonne of pluck, a resourceful mind and a knack for getting into a
Ian
Sophronia continues her first year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality, and in this the second instalment it seems that someone might be trying to kidnap Dimity and Pillover. It's up to Sophronia to save the day but it's made much more difficult when she aces a test and everyone, including her friends, start shunning her.

Curtsies and Conspiracies is a quick and fun read. In some ways it reminds me of Harry Potter...a steam punk Harry Potter, with a female m
 ~Geektastic~
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, November 5, 2014

3.5 stars, technically

In Curtsies and Conspiracies, Sophronia enters her second year at Mademoiselle Geraldine’s Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality (or quali-tay) and must juggle classes, friendships, intrigues, and even the possibility of romance. Unlike most series set in a school, the book opens with exams, which set t
Online Eccentric Librarian
Oct 04, 2015 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it really liked it

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

An Audible narrator can often make or break a book: in this case, we have a narrator who really appreciates the nuances of the book and brings all the quirky characters to glorious life. I can't imagine reading this on my own now without all the great affectations and accents, personality and charm, brought about by narrator Moira Quirk.

All the adventure of the first novel is in the second: Sephronia is tested and pronou
Siobhan
Jan 18, 2016 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first book in the series, I really enjoyed this read.

Some of the things I particularly liked about the first one – namely the lack of romance – disappeared with this book, yet it worked well with the storyline. We watch our characters grow, and such a thing as romance is to be expected of them. Fortunately, we are not quite dealing with the overload that some books force upon us.

Moreover, we find out more about the supernatural in this book – which is great, as I had been wanting mor
Robyn
Jul 06, 2015 Robyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Will I never tire of the exploits of these 'unfinished' ladies? All evidence points to he answer 'no.'
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • The Friday Society
  • Disenchanted & Co. (Disenchanted & Co., #1)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Riveted (Iron Seas, #3)
  • Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3)
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
  • Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2)
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
Gail Carriger writes comedic steampunk mixed with urbane fantasy. Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and Custard Protocol series for adults, and the Finishing School series for young adults. She is published in 18 different languages and has 13 NYT bestsellers via 7 different lists (including #1 in Manga). She was once an archaeologist and is overly fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea.
Gail
More about Gail Carriger...

Finishing School (4 books)
  • Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
  • Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)
  • Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4)

“All the best geniuses are evil,” 32 likes
“You’re a wonderful dancer, Ria.”
“Mademoiselle Geraldine’s takes such things seriously.”
“Ah. And how many ways do you know to kill me, while we dance?”
“Only two, but give me time.”
“You have lovely eyes. Has anyone ever told you that?”
“What rot. They are a muddy green. What are you about, Lord Mersey?”

Felix sighed, looking genuinely perturbed. His air of ennui was shaken. “I am trying to court you. Truth be told, Miss Temminnick, you make it ruddy difficult!”

“Language, Lord Mersey.” Sophronia felt her heart flutter strangely. Am I ready to be courted?

“See!”