Start by marking “The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Your Everyday Financial Questions” as Want to Read:
The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Your Everyday Financial Questions

The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Your Everyday Financial Questions

This quick and simple, question and answer book is the perfect resource for equipping individuals with key information about everyday money matters. Questions and answers deal with 100+ of the most-asked questions from "The Dave Ramsey Show"-everything from budget planning to retirement planning or personal buying matters, to saving for college and charitable giving. This ...more
Published January 17th 2005 by J. Countryman

To ask other readers questions about The Money Answer Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Money Answer Book

Start your review of The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Your Everyday Financial Questions
Steph
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, financial, own
There isn't much more that Dave Ramsey can write about on the world of conservative finances. "The Money Answer Book" is a condensed version of "The Total Money Makeover." While its title lends one to believe that the book actually answers questions, many of his responses are, "Just don't do it!", which doesn't actually answer the question being presented. I'm a huge fan of Dave Ramsey and his ultra-conservative, you-did-this-to-yourself approach to getting out of debt, but giving good, honest a ...more
Gina
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Short compilation book of the 100+ most asked questions from the Dave Ramsey Show with short, to the point answers for each. If you've listened to the show once, then you probably know all these already. It can be used as a quick reference guide for those already using the program to get out of debt, but I didn't think there was much new here. Also, with such succinct answers to the questions, a lot is left unexplained. Something for fans but not newbies.
Justin Tapp
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: personalfinance
I checked out this book because I’m teaching Dave Ramsey’s FPU next month and have been working through the course material. This book is a FAQ for Dave Ramsey’s advice.
Each Q/A is a couple pages long and the book is a fast read. There is nothing in this book that you can’t learn by Googling for the information. The questions range from “what is a debit card?” to “My spouse and I have separated and I’m terrified he will bankrupt me. What do I do?”

All of the teaching points and anecdotes from Dav
Stephanie
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first Dave Ramsey book and it won't be my last. I really like his theories and ideas for paying off debt and gaining wealth. I am definitely trying to incorporate a lot of his ideas into my own life. I also really liked the set-up of the book with brief questions and answers, making it a fast read with some quick, easy advice and tips.

I have to say, I think this book is geared towards two kinds of people: people who are in major credit card and consumer debt and need help getting out
Matthew
I mostly agree with Dave Ramsey, especially on the debt discussions. I work in the industry, and I think that the returns he says you can get on mutual funds are seriously inflated. With that being said, his message overall will help people who need it.

I am glad I didn't buy this book, I read it from my library, there is nothing new from Dave here. If you have read Total Money Makeover this book is not necessary or even very useful.
Mary Ellen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome, even for newbies at financial planning and managing money. It is easy to understand, and an interesting read. I dreaded reading this book for months, thinking it would be mind-numbingly boring and difficult to grasp, but I was very pleasantly surprised and found it encouraging and motivating.
Kim
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I you are a married, sexist, Christian father who is outrageously in debt and lacking common sense, this book might be helpful. Otherwise all but a few of the answers will be pretty useless.
Fred Slusher
I’ve always approached Ramsey’s work as one does a snotty toddler. In the spirit of fairness, I decided to check out this slim volume. While there are some good pieces of financial advice contained herein, Ramsey’s worldview is based on the assumption that everyone is endowed with the same level of opportunity. His entire philosophy reeks of Prosperity Gospel malarkey. This is not to malign anyone who has been positively impacted by his works. After all, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
Alexandra
4/1/17 $1.99 for Kindle
Eyke (he/him)
Short, sweet, helpful, easy to navigate. Good!
Christine Hill
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book review is also on my blog: www.loveserially.wordpress.com
Please look under the "outside the genre" section of the blog.

Quick Summary: Dave Ramsey is best known for his snowball method of paying off debt. In this book he explains his method through a straightforward question and answer format. It covers topics like budget planning, retirement and college savings. At 176 pages, it’s a quick and easy way to get some financial advice.

Like most financial advisors, Dave Ramsey advocates livi
ChapterOne
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. Not in depth financial advice (he's got other books for that). This one's good for a quick reminder of the basics.
Rob
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: financial
Dave Ramsey definitely has a loyal fan base. I think his fans are so loyal because he says just about everything with supreme confidence, as if no sensible person could have a different opinion. Much of what he says is common sense, but not everything. I disagree with Ramsey on two major points:

1. Ramsey is against using credit cards. I don't think cutting up all of your credit cards is a good idea. Do you have car insurance or homeowners insurance? Those guys are checking your credit. Have you
Cj Sime
Oct 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
This would be good as a precursor to FPU, but having read several other of Dave's books, this book didn't add anything to my understanding.
Ryan
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great quick reference guide to your financial questions.
Kristina Setka
Aug 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
If you can get past his scary conservative world view and religious propaganda, there is some financial advice. Easy to skim. Not worth buying, look for it at your library.

This book is very restrictive. Ramsey’s vibe is sacrifice at all cost in the name of ending debt, or becoming financially sound. This may work for some people. Sure debt can get you into deep and deeper holes.

Ramsey misses the mark big time by ignoring all the complex emotional connections and weight that money carries. Every
Geoffrey
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
This book was a 2 for me, but gave it a 3 - from the perspective that this is a better book for someone that is financially illiterate. Dave Ramsey kind of drives me crazy. His financial lessons are 100% defensive and do not promote wealth building. He preaches no debt/no credit cards/conservative investing/etc. This is all great for those that struggle with their basic personal finances and many lessons are to be had by this - as the average person in the US is a disaster financially. That said ...more
Rachel
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. My husband and I are really wanting to get out of debt, build credit and buy a house. We also want to start saving for our children's college funds, missions (for church), and marriages. We have had all of Dave Ramsey's books mentioned to us to read and follow his plan. This is the first one I read all the way through. It was a quick and easy read. It gave a quick overview of Dave Ramsey's financial plans. It makes me excited to read his other books and get our finances ...more
Harshdeep Gupta
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
"The baby step system is the money saving system of God and Grandma." Oh man, give me a break. With the references to bible and the author essentially assuming that everyone reading the book is essentially illiterate, it is a cringe-worthy read. With statements like "Responsible use of credit cards doesn't exist", I wonder what type of clients come to him for their counselling, because most of his advice is based on the type of cases he has encountered. The book can be a little useful if you wan ...more
Lorraine Wronski
Feb 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
My first exposure to this money guru whose name is revered, especially among the Christian crowd. I wanted to at least give him a fair chance.

He lost me about five pages in when he made a snide and ignorant comment about Prozac, a medication that keeps me alive. The misogyny and his extremely outdated ideas about gender roles did not help matters either. There was a tone of scolding and shaking throughout the book.

The book was an easy and quick read, and it met the goal of exposing me to this wr
Susan Quenneville
Dave gives excellent advice on how to get out of debt. I wish I had read this book when I was much younger! It’s certainly all about making conscious careful choices and always living within your means! I also loved the many quotes!! There are some suggestions that I will definitely put into use! Looking forward to reading more of his books! BTW, this is especially useful for newlyweds and families with young children!
Jeanette
Since this book was written in 2010, it feels outdated to modern times. Somethings never change. The order in which you should be saving and paying off debt makes sense regardless of the time period but thats about it. Also, the answers to most of the questions are redundant if you already read the other Dave Ramsey book. This one is too shallow to offer any in-depth solution.
Michael Tildsley
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot of great practical advice can be found here. I think now after an initial reading, this will become a quick reference guide for future financial dilemmas and situations. I can say for sure that since I have discovered Dave Ramsey's baby steps and other financial advice, my own finances have improved, though I still have a ways to go. Don't we all?
Venkat
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for giving quick and faster understanding about personal financial planning. The part what i liked is every chapter has nice motivating quotes. Always hits to the point to hive useful information. I would recommend every one to read this book part of year end reading list. Also this can be used a reference guide to improve personal finance.
Gerald Thomson
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not one of Dave's best, but still some decent information. It is set up as a reference book where the reader can look at certain questions and see Dave's answer. I found the responses to be less in-depth that I would want. He does have a great explanation for the benefits of tithing. Overall, stick with Dave's other book offerings.
Jenny Pena
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a quick read with specific answers to different money questions. If you listen to Dave Ramsey often, you will probably know most of the answers but it's nice to have a bit more details to certain things that he may not be able to cover on the radio show.
Melissa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A very Basic question and answer book about money. Mind blowing information? No. However, this is a great handy reference book. I would suggest this as a good book for someone starting out. It has good solid advice.
Hannah Stewart
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not quite what I was expecting. It was just half page (sometimes less) 'tips' or suggestions on financial advice. A lot of it was only relevant to America as well so I didn't find 1/3rd of the book helpful at all.
Josie
A very quick over-view of a fairly simple plan. Helpful to people who have no idea how to start saving or budgeting, but if you have some knowledge it won't be helpful. You could also just listen to his radio program, as it has the same info regularly on there.
Athena
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
A bit outdated and not the best place for a Dave Ramsey newbie to start (The Total Money Makeover is where you need to begin before a lot of this will make sense), but full of quick, sensible answers to lots of financial questions.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too
  • Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • 5 Day Weekend: Freedom to Make Your Life and Work Rich with Purpose
  • Love Your Life, Not Theirs: 7 Money Habits for Living the Life You Want
  • Millennial Money Makeover: Escape Debt, Save for Your Future, and Live the Rich Life Now
  • How to Manage Your Money When You Don't Have Any
  • The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke
  • The Money Class: Learn to Create Your New American Dream
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • The No-Spend Challenge Guide: How to Stop Spending Money Impulsively, Pay off Debt Fast, & Make Your Finances Fit Your Dreams
  • Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy
  • Flying At Night: Poems 1965-1985
  • Why Didn't They Teach Me This in School?: 99 Personal Money Management Principles to Live by
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • Debt-Free Forever: Take Control of Your Money and Your Life
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Killing Crazy Horse: The Merciless Indian Wars in America
  • The Twenty-Ninth Year
Dave Ramsey, the nationally-syndicated radio host of "The Money Game" and bestselling author, has helped thousands through Financial Peace University-a 12-week financial planning program. He presents seminars in churches and corporations throughout the country. He holds a degree in finance and real estate and lives with his family in Nashville Tennessee.