Start by marking “Middle Ground (The Chosen, #0.2)” as Want to Read:
Middle Ground (The Chosen, #0.2)

Middle Ground

(The Chosen #0.2)

***This is a 32pg prequel short story to The Chosen Series***
**The Chosen Shorts can be read out of order**

Lieutenant Will Davenport gets more than he planned when he comes home for his sister Megan’s wedding. His best friend James drops a bombshell and Megan makes a request Will isn't capable of giving. But when his old girlfriend show up, Will ends up questioning the
Published June 28th 2012 by Bramagioia Enterprses

To ask other readers questions about Middle Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Middle Ground

Start your review of Middle Ground (The Chosen, #0.2)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is part 2 in the prequels of the Chosen series. Will and James are home on leave for his sister Megan's wedding. We get a little more insight into the relationship between Will, his parents and his sister. What I loved, though, is the realization that Will has been having dreams, later we would find out they were premonitions, of things to come. Even his sister begs him not to reenlist. She says that she just knows something bad is going to happen. After a run in with his father, he goes to ...more
Jannene
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Liked the characters

It was a brief book. I liked where the story and characters were headed. It makes you want to read the next one.
Jamie Davis
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another FANTASTIC novella by Denise Grover Swank!

I love the knack Denise has for writing novellas that really give you a firm foundation for the overall story. Whether she's writing about things that happened before the main story, or just giving you various POVS in between the main novels, every piece feels vital.

The moment Will feels the chill that tells him something bad has happened, the man at the diner, his father's animosity, James's revelation about leaving the Marines . . . all if it
Laila Nelke
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is second prequel of Chosen series. Another great short story that gives us glimpse of Will's family and his life. I loved to know him more and why he is the way he is before the real story starts!
Thank you Denise for giving us this insight into Will!
Samantha Malstrom
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked seeing this snippet of Will’s life when he came home from war for his sister’s wedding. You could tell things were starting to go downhill for him and he wasn’t sure what to do. I really like Will in the Chosen series and his character and personality go through so many changes that I think it’s hard to see where he started, and this short story helped show who he was before he left the military and closed himself off to all others. I think it makes him more relatable and really ...more
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Middle Ground is the second prequel to the Chosen series. I really enjoyed reading about Will's background because he is one of my favorite characters in this series. This book had good information about Will's history that I can see as being important during the series. I liked seeing how everything was already set into motion before the actual books in the series begin. While it is not necessary to read the prequels, I would suggest it because it helps everything come together and they are ...more
Nicki
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella gives a glimpse into Will's background before everything goes bad for him. It shows how much the incident in the school changed him. From looking for love to thinking he doesn't deserve happiness because of what happened.
Tracy Hall
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute

While this short story was cute make sure you read it before The Chosen series because it becomes unnecessary if read after the series.
Angela Shockley
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stranger Danger

I didn't discover the Chosen short stories until I finished the series. It was actually very nice to be given a different perspective after the fact!

I want so bad to mention some spoilers, but I won't! I loved seeing Will's family. James, of course, is a bad-a bestie. Finally, the mysterious fella at the bar. It makes SO MUCH SENSE! Ugh... I want to know so much more about this guy, but I guess I'll never get it. :) That's okay because ****** wasn't a main character. Oh, and
Noel Kennedy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd short novel in the suggested reading order, 6th book all together for the Chosen series. This gives us more insight on who Will was prior to the mishap in Iraq. He returns home for his sisters wedding to find out James is leaving the military to start up a life back home. Will is tempted to do this same, but his Colonel father disapproves, so Will doesn’t do it. After getting upset with his father, he goes to a diner and meets this person who tells him he’ll find the woman he’s ...more
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
I love the prequel novels of the Chosen series. They each offer insight to the different characters. Will gets to novels, cause he is that special of a character.

Will is a character you love to hate and hate to love. We finally get to see that Will had to go through the things he did in order to be the man he needed to be for Emma and Jake. We see that Will life's has been directed and shaped since he was conceived and he has had very little say over what happens to him. But without the events
Rhea
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Like the rest of the books and novellas of the series, I was sad when I reached the last page. Every part of this series is great! I see people's reviews saying this piece wasn't necessary to the series. I disagree. While you may not have to read the novellas to understand the books, the novellas add so much. They add depth to the story, they add perspective from the other characters besides the main two, and they add a deeper emotional context to the story. The worst part of this book? It means ...more
Laura Martinez
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can I just say that I really love this short story!!
I love learning more about my favorite book characters and This short story is all about Will!!
I really enjoyed this book because we find out what happened while Will was serving in Iraq and how he wants to be seen by his father.
If you are wanting more to learn more about Will or why he is the way he is this book will surely shed some light!
Claire Taylor
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Chosen short story.

This short story is a prequel to the The Chosen Series, and this is Will's story.

If the plan was to make you fall in love with Will even more then it does it in a spectacular way. The author has a way of drawing you into the story, and takes you right into the heart of the action.

The Chosen Series is amazing, and I'm eagerly awaiting the 4th in the series, Redemption.
Heather
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More time with Will... More insight into Will's character. In this prequel to the Chosen series, we again learn more about Will, his family situation, and his relationship with his best friend, James. There are a few clues that will become more important later in the series, such as Will's dreams and the mysterious man who seems to know him. Overall, this is another great prelude into the Chosen series.
Beth
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am always a sucker for a prequel, and this novella does not disappoint! I enjoyed hearing more of Will's history, having a glimpse into his relationships, and especially, seeing how his sister Megan and best friend James fit into his story. In a time that is traditionally joyous, we hear about the conflict that Will is faced with, and learn how James ended up as a fishing guide. Overall a great read with a little more information pertinent to the characters!
Michelle Stuck
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very short story that gives more of what you love….Will! This provides more backstory about Will and helps develop his character even more. I love the insight that DGS’s novellas provide because they make it feel like you are getting a glimpse of what is going on with the characters beyond the novels. Great read if you are into the characters and want to know even more about them.
Sandra Lancaster
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This prequel gives you a glimpse of Will and his family. It provides some insight into Will's background and helps you understand why he is the way he is. There are little things in this book that are mentioned in Redemption, book 4 of the series. It helps ties things together when you have read this.
Sheila
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A little novella to fill in the blanks. We will get a glimpse into the Will/James relationship. If you are enjoying this series, definitely read this short novella. Denise always helps us with background this way and I love that about her and all her series of novels. The little tidbits are priceless!
Lori Clark cook
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This short story gives us some insight into Will's home life. He heads home for his baby sister's wedding and finds out that his best friend and unit mate is going to be leaving the Marines. He bumps into an old girlfriend and starts wondering if he should make some changes in his life. Then his father gets all up in his business and the resentment sends Will back into harms way.
Shannon
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This short story about Will kinda broke my heart. I felt so bad for him and how guilty he felt. It was interesting getting to see him get into the business of acquiring people since we never got that back story in Chosen. Definitely makes me glad he found Emma and Jake after reading this.
Jennifer Priser
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hungry for more

This was a brief short story which gives insight into Will's life before meeting his "destiny". It left me with more questions than answers. I definitely want to know what happened to Will's family and the identity of the strange prophet from the diner.
#ByFelicia
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story by an awesome writer! Simply could not put it down! Denise Grover Swank has a way of writing where you feel connected to the characters. You will not be disappointed with this series or anything else she writes!
Sarah German
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great novella to learn more about Will. You find out more about why Will is like he is. I can't wait to find out more about the mysterious guy in the end! Not necessary to read for the Chosen Series, but definitely worth it to read and have more insight to Will.
Kelly Mccurdy
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Will isn't your normal law man. He is special, and when he does realize it, it might possibly be too late.
Denise knows how to keep you on your toes. You will read about Will and who he is, and why he is drawn to Jake and Emma. You will love this little slice of heaven!!
Elisa
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great short in the Chosen series with this story being from Will's pov.
Set before the first book Will is headed home for his sisters wedding, this is an interesting read and links to the series really well.
little 'ole me
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good story from wills point of view and provides a little bit of his background. Unfortunately you become sucked into the story from the brilliant writing of Denise Grover Swank that you forget it's only a short story :)
Sharon James
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Special People

It's the beginning to the stories written by Denise Swank. It was a well written story. This book will start your loving Swanks books!
Cora
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another Will novella! As with all of Denise's novellas you get a little extra to add to the big picture. A must read of fans of the Chosen series.
Stormy Udell
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
How can you not want more Will!!! This story just solidified my love for him. Seeing into his life made me hurt for him and cheer even louder throughout the rest of the series!

• Crown of Blood (Book of Sindal 3)
  • Of Blood and Monsters (Piper Lancaster Series)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Reign of Mist (Book of Sindal Book Two)
  • Of Fire and Storm: A Curse Keeper Novel (Of Ash and Spirit Trilogy #2)
  • The Token Series (3 volume boxed set)
  • Mirror Mage (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress, #2)
  • The Token Series, A Billionaire Dark Romantic Suspense: Box Set (Books 4-6)
  • Descended from Shadows (Book of Sindal Book One)
  • Recombinant (The Blood Borne #1)
  • Replica (The Blood Borne #2)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • The Mall

The Chosen (4 books)
  • Chosen (The Chosen, #1)
  • Hunted (The Chosen, #2)
  • Sacrifice (The Chosen, #3)
  • Redemption (The Chosen, #4)