Start by marking “Self Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed” as Want to Read:
Self Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed

Self Publishing Books 101: Helping You Get Published and Noticed

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  232 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
**NOTE: This version is outdated and has been retired. You can get the updated version here:
Published March 29th 2012 by Createspace (first published March 7th 2012)

Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have published seven ebooks on Amazon Kindle, and have been wondering about the logistics of also issuing them as print versions. So I was attracted to "Self Publishing Books 101."

The author takes readers through all the nuts and bolts of publishing your own book in a concise and clearly written manner. I think that every single question I had is answered, from costs to publisher options (she recommends Amazon's CreateSpace, but also discusses other companies) to cover design and much more.

Donna Smallin Kuper
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is another great book from Shelley Hitz that is now in my reference library. Self-Publishing is an excellent primer with spot-on advice and a slew of links to very helpful resources. Like she says, "If you can dream it, you can do it" to which I would add "with this book." Please note: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Chris Rossen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good info

Thanks for the good info. Looking forward to getting my book completed and marketed. There is a lot to it.
Allan Walsh
Book Review – Self-Publishing Books 101 by Shelley Hitz and Heather Hart.
Self-Publishing Books 101 by Shelley Hitz and Heather Hart comes with the tag line: A Step-by-Step Guide to Publishing in Multiple Formats. It will walk a beginner through what they need to know to publish their own work.

The Bad Stuff: I didn’t really find anything bad with this book. The only thing it didn’t really cover is how to format your work professionally yourself, but then why would it. After all, this isn’t a book
James Minter
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newbie and recent authors
Shelves: books_on_writing
Despite what many writers think of publishing house – dinosaurs, commercially driven, old technology- they do many things for authors that, as a self-publisher, you have to do for yourself. Once you go down this path you soon realise to be successful you need a wide range of skills and depth of knowledge on subjects not normal encountered. To have an accessible guide based on hard won experience provided by a pair of successful writers is a real bonus for aspiring, new, recent and seasoned write ...more
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I would like to know who edited/proofread this. I find it hard to take them seriously on writing a solid book when there are countless typos and misplaced words. Just a quick run-through by a beta reader would've cleared this up.

The information in the book was good, not great. It is a very brief overview of the self-publishing process as a whole. But, of course, these ladies aren't just selling books, they're selling services on their website as well, which they did not hesitate to pl
Carrie Daws
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
As I've come to expect from Shelley and Heather, this book was full of encouragement, tips from what they've learned, and step-by-step instructions where appropriate. They start at the very beginning of the process, so if you have published anything before, some of it can be skipped. But if you know very little or are interested in self-publishing, this book is a great place to start.
Tracy Krauss
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of great tips - a fairly thorough 'How To' manual.
Kim Cox
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Self-Publishing Books 101 is a free Kindle eBook on right now.This book is very informative and helpful and I gave it five stars; although, I don't believe this book should be the first book read on self-publishing. The mere volume of information can be overwhelming for someone just beginning to think about self-publishing. I didn't realize this, since it wasn't the first book I'd read and I'm a bit technologically inclined, until an author friend pointed out her confusion, and I will ...more
Vincent de Paul
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every self-publishing writer should read Shelly Hitz ... her tips on writing and cracking the writing 101 are invaluable. You just need to have an open mind, follow the guides, and you will have a professional book.

This book is so helpful that if you read it you feel like you will dine with the kings of publishing overnight. It's a must read.
Chanelle Nash
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very informative and helpful and would definitely recommend it.
Kenneth M Panko
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of good information for anyone who is considering writing a book.
April Taylor
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Handy practical guide for authors who are planning to se!f publish i am sure I will refer to it often.
P.F. Gregory
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
lots of useful hyperlinks and expansion into specific elements of the end to end self-publishing process.
Amanda Leigh
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to do more research on self-publishing for a while so I bought two books on the subject. I have yet to read the other one, but am planning on doing so pretty soon.

This book was a very good overview of the world of self-publishing today. You get information on the types of self-publishing companies out there as well as a list of the author's recommendations. There is an overview of the cover design process. It also gives an overview of the following: self-publishing costs, sel
Some Great Downloads

Some Great Downloads

It becomes clear after reading for awhile that this book is a come hither for Me Hitz's coaching services for self publishing authors. She clearly knows what she is doing, and the book provides some very valuable downloads, including Make Your Words Sell, which is worth the price of admission all by itself.

All the steps from choosing a Print-on-Demand publisher to creating your book template, your book cover, and getting it published. Most of the informat
Lisa Blair
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This book explains in a non-technical, easy to understand, step-by-step way how to publish your print book on Amazon using CreateSpace. (Yes, CreateSpace leads you through it, but it can be confusing to us non-technical people!) And this book gives places for free templates (some of CreateSpaces book templates do not work) which saves time and major frustration.

I've already worked through those issues, so what the intrigue for me was in doing my book in other translations and in doing by book in
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book was first published in 2012 and updated in 2014.
The Title has also changed to:
Self-Publishing Books 101 by Shelley Hitz andHeather Hart.

This book is packed with information. There are three parts to this book:

- Foundation for Publishing Success
- - Self-Publishing AudioBooks
- -
Heather  Erickson
Walks You through the Process from Start to Published

Shelley Hitz has been an inspiration to me as a new author. I wish I had read this book earlier. It would have saved me a lot of trial and error as I published my first book. Better late than never. I decided to read Self Publishing Books 101, before moving on to my second book. I'm glad I did. Shelley takes you step by step, through writing, editing, publishing, marketing, and so much more. She tells you what she does and why. She also lets y
Tom Law
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The authors have done a tremendous job of collecting all of the various parts necessary for someone to become a published author. This is really a reference book which you will use over and over again as you work through the process of developing and publishing your book. Each aspect of the process is explained and then the authors add links which take you to more complete descriptions and helps. In doing so, they also model how you can develop your own publishing “empire” – writing books, conne ...more
Mandi Lynn
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
You can tell the book is meant to be an ebook because there are links to websites. I also should have looked at the page count before I bought it because it very short and in no way gives you what you need to know about self-publishing. There are a few errors which shows the author probably didn't get the 40 page book copy edited. It gives you a bit of an overview of the process--which is good if you are a self-publishing newbie--but you'll defiantly need to do a lot more research before you pub ...more
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Good information, supplemented by lots of links to external content -- not all of which was written by the authors.

The authors clearly practice what they preach in regard to giving away some content in order to gain readers, but unlike some free 'books' which are nothing but sales brochures, this one has actual substance.

Bottom line: I feel like I now have a good understanding of the steps involved in self-publishing, and know where I can go to get more detailed information about any one step.
Bonnie Jacobs hessler
This is a great book for those people who are looking into getting into Self Publishing. The book includes a step by step plan of action. I like the fact that it includes extras such as publishing ebooks, doing audiobooks and translating your book into a foreign language.

Another thing I also, liked was there was lots on links throughout the book on the self publishing process and a newsletter to sign up.
Emma Hewitt
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title Self-publishing 101

Published This book is easy to follow guide which runs over ten parts and broke down into thirteen parts. This book tackles every aspect of self-publishing from pre-publishing decisions to obtaining copyright, self-publishing audiobooks, paperbacks and Kindle books through to marketing the book. As well as how to translate the book for other markets. Another recommended read.
Michael E.
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book to get you started. If you have no idea where to start, Shelley gives you a nice outline on what to do, and what resources are available. You can learn everything you need to self publish through your own research (I've published several books before reading this book), but Shelley does a good job of laying things out for you in this book.
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marketing
Shelley provided a step-by-step process to self-publish any book. The booklet (not book) gave sources for templates, free and otherwise, that would allow for various options. She took much of the uncertainty out of the process. When there were options, she provided charts that allowed you to see the pros and cons of each option to accurately choose what is best for your needs. A helpful booklet.
M.E. Syler
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and Practical

I recommend this book for anyone who is considering to self publish. The most helpful for me were the sections on Create Space, ISBN, and formats for print books. Shelly also provides information on other publishing companies. Another important part is marketing and this book provides several strategies.
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
For what it is--free, 101-type Basic Tips--Shelley does a great job. What else can you say, it's a quick read and it gives you everything you need to get the job done. I could really tell all she wants to do is help you succeed and get whatever it is published however you want! Great example, thanks for charging the way, Shelley!
Jesse Walters
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of self publishing books over the last few months. This one not only validated the findings I've read in other books but also brought new ones to the table. It's written in a matter-of-fact way to help you understand it quickly and get your book published.
Whisper Poet
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chock full of resources, this book gives a thorough overview of things to do when self-publishing a book. The authors are also wonderful about providing links to resources to consider for each step of the process. This was a great book to read to get a framework in mind for action.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
HELP! Me Name my Course 1 1 Mar 28, 2017 02:12PM
  • How to Write Great Blog Posts that Engage Readers
  • The Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success
  • Book Marketing is Dead: Book Promotion Secrets You MUST Know BEFORE You Publish Your Book
  • Publish on Amazon Kindle with Kindle Direct Publishing
  • We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • Oracle of the Shapeshifters: Mystic Familiars for Times of Transformation and Change
  • Social Media Marketing for Publishers
  • The Need To Touch (Stay True #1)
  • Acceptance (The Mermen, #2)
  • The Story Template: Conquer Writer's Block Using the Universal Structure of Story
  • The Crowdfunding Bible: How to Raise Money for Any Startup, Video Game or Project
  • Pinterest Savvy: How I Got 1 Million+ Followers (Strategies, Plans, and Tips to Grow Your Business with Pinterest)
  • How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks All for Free
  • HOW TO START A BLOG THAT PEOPLE WILL READ: How to create a website, write about a topic you love, develop a loyal readership, and make six figures doing it. (THE MAKE MONEY FROM HOME LIONS CLUB)
  • The Money Code: Become a Millionaire With the Ancient Jewish Code
  • Digital Minds: 12 Things Every Business Needs to Know about Digital Marketing
  • Conscious Calm: Keys to Freedom From Stress and Worry
Shelley Hitz is an award-winning and international best-selling author. However, most importantly she is a wife, daughter, sister, friend and follower of Christ. She has been ministering alongside her husband, CJ, since 1998 and her main passion is to share God's truth and the freedom in Christ she has found with others. She does this through her books, websites and speaking engagements.

She is als
More about Shelley Hitz...

Nonfiction Deals

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
    $7.24 $1.99
“Many people have related the process of being an author to that of being a parent. Writing your book is like the pregnancy part. Developing your book is part of who you are and is constantly there. You are always thinking about how great it will be, but it is just the beginning. Towards the end your anticipation and anxiety grow. And then you finally reach the publishing process—which is like the delivery. But then you are left with a lifetime of book rearing. The real journey doesn’t end at publication, it begins.” 1 likes
“simple, quick, and doable to get your ideas self-published, but will also save you money. It simply amazes me! Honestly, if you can dream it, you can” 0 likes