Start by marking “Mother Of Wolves” as Want to Read:
Mother Of Wolves

Mother Of Wolves

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A gripping story of a woman's struggle for justice in a man's world.

Through the marshes and rich farmland of the great river, Lupa hunts and is hunted by her husband’s murderers. On the estuary islands her sons and their protector are just one step ahead of the killers. Everyone underestimates Lupa, if they consider her at all. They are making a mistake. The odds may be a
Published 2012 by White Fox Books

To ask other readers questions about Mother Of Wolves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Of Wolves

Masquerade Crew
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, historical
WALKI'S REVIEW

5 STARS

This is the story of Lupa, the Queen of the Lords of the Roads. More exactly, it is the story of how Lupa becomes Queen, and what qualities made her people choose her as a Queen, rather than choose another King. The title of the novel refers to Lupa, not just because she adopts two orphan wolf pups at some point, but also because she is very protective of her own children and of her people.

This is the story of the Lords of the Roads and how the Gypsy tribes unite under one
Julie Powell
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The rich descriptions bring this story alive, where myth meets history and good fights evil. I never give spoilers but I would say that everyone should read this book - good, believable characters within a fascinating world.
Lynne Cantwell
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic-realism
Mother of Wolves is a novel of magical realism that features a strong female protagonist in a native culture.

As the novel opens, Lupa is married to Toro, the king of their tribe, the Lords of the Earth. He has been offered a shipment of guns by the local guards, and he is readying a party of men to go to receive the shipment. Lupa has a bad feeling about the meeting -- and as it turns out, her fears are justified.

When Toro does not return home, Lupa goes to investigate. She uses superior trackin
Sarai
My thoughts:
Mother of wolves is one of those stories that will suck you in. Right away I was wondering about this woman named Lupa and this culture. I don’t think you are ever certain of what culture you are reading about as you read this and that’s okay. We know that Lupa is a tribal woman married to the King of the Roads and her husband is trying to get guns from the “Others” I can only assume others are white in this situation but they might not be. Lupa’s husband is betrayed by a member of t
C.M. Truxler
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mother of Wolves Speaks to All

Mother of Wolves by Zoe Brooks will touch the chord of one’s being that eclipses heart and soul. The work is a fictional tale, by the author’s own pledge, but the happenings are nothing new to anyone who has studied Native history and interaction with the white military and society. The tales embedded within this work are heart-pumpingly enthralling.

The characters are wonderfully vivid and detailed, though a reader will not see the faces. The view is restricted to
Natalie
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story, split into four parts, this is a story of the old ways, of tribals, healers, people of the earth, roads, forest and rivers and the guards and people who live in houses and to a social etiquette and they all surround a woman called Lupa.

Lupa a wife of the king of the tribal, brought up by a father with infinite knowledge of the earth, river and animals and also influenced by a man, her father’s blood brother, who was once a guard before changing his life and was acce
Sharon Michael
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Entertaining read with a fairly standard plotline, main female character in a male dominated society takes revenge on the people responsible for the death of her husband.

The format is a bit odd, written in three parts with the first part longer and more developed, second part, some years later, carries the plot further and the third part, the wrap-up, was the weakest of the three segments. The first part is the best written and most fully developed part while I actually found the third part some
Carol Edholm
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quite an interesting read. Periodically, author changed characters in mid-stride causing difficulty in keeping up. I eventually got used to it, even saw it as a unique style to her writing, was necessary as the story went along, and rather enjoyed it. Got so involved in the story, it felt like I was there! Sorry to see it end. Thoroughly enjoyed the book!
David Teachout
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Strong women, People of the Earth and Road, and a story similar to "Braveheart." There is here a truly beautiful telling, a story of pride, integrity, leadership and humanity, from the perspective and strength of women, so often forgotten in history. Simple at times but in that simplicity there lies a great deal of meaning and purpose. Definitely worth reading.
Barbara
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Didn't care for the style of writing
Kathy Steinemann
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is book is a good read that will keep you engaged until you reach the back cover.
Rage
Malesa
Aug 31, 2012
UK Book Club: Free Fantasy Adventure 30th - 31st Jan 1 13 Jan 30, 2013 08:38AM
UK Book Club: Mother of Wolves Free Today 1 10 Oct 22, 2012 01:48AM
I am a British writer and poet. I spend half my life in a partly restored old farmhouse in the Czech Republic, where I write all my novels and poetry. I aim to write popular books, which have complex characters and themes that get under the reader's skin. My fantasy adventure novel Mother of Wolves is available on Amazon. The three books (Girl in The Glass, Love of Shadows and The Company of Shado ...more
More about Zoe Brooks