Start by marking “Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life's Work” as Want to Read:
Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life's Work

Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life's Work

Turning pro is free, but it's not easy.

When we turn pro, we give up a life that we may have become extremely comfortable with. We give up a self that we have come to identify with and to call our own.

Turning pro is free, but it demands sacrifice.

The passage from amateur to professional is often achieved via an interior odyssey whose trials are survived only at great cost,
Published May 31st 2012 by Black Irish Entertainment LLC (first published May 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Turning Pro, please sign up.
Rachel Foreman I read 'War on Art' first and found it fantastic and truly made me grow up. Turning Pro was the next step in inspiring me to become a professional.…moreI read 'War on Art' first and found it fantastic and truly made me grow up. Turning Pro was the next step in inspiring me to become a professional. The next favorite I am currently reading, "Mastery" by Steven Greene. Yes, a totally different Stev/phen but in the mental development, I have been on the perfect third to Pressfield's two. I am now on my road to Mastery.
In conclusion, I recommend all three aforementioned in similar order;)(less)

Yuri Karabatov
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The amateur tweets. The pro works.

That pretty much sums up the book for me.

In the face of uncertainty and doubt, the amateur chooses distraction, while the pro chooses to do the work instead. The pro knows: doubt won't go away by itself, one has to push it, shove it, kick it. By doing the work.

What is distraction, if not self-sabotage, sabotage of one's future self? As Pressfield puts it, "lives go down the tubes one hundred and forty characters at a time." It's not only Twitter, but any distra
Ryan Holiday
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember when I first read The War of Art, but I know it changed my life. Of all of the books I have read since then, there are few I have returned to more often. Why? Because Steven Pressfield teaches you how to be an artist--a professional one.

And now Pressfield is back to pick up where he left of with Turning Pro. The first words grabbing you by the collar and pulling you down the path: "I wrote in The War of Art that I could divide my life neatly into two parts: before turning pro an
J.F. Penn
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneur, writing
This book is a serious challenge for any creative who wants to be considered a professional in their chosen sphere. Pressfield holds nothing back and this book seriously kicked my ass. He takes the excuses we all wheel out sometimes and blows them to pieces while telling of his own past, giving emotional resonance to some difficult life lessons. The book underscores the fact that turning pro is not for everyone, that there is considerable sacrifice. I was personally convicted on my habits and ho ...more
Grant
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Crap, Batman, this book is awesome! Until I read this book, I had no idea I hung around with, and seemed to attract, amateurs. At times, I drank their kool-aid and listened to their whiney belly-ache about how, "someday we ought to _______," and in retrospect, the too many times I bought into the procrastination and justification of, "Wouldn't it be great if we could _________."

But Pressfield hit a nerve when he said you'll know the day you turn pro...and I can verify that statement when I
nananatte
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Turning Pro อานงายกวาและอธิบายเขาใจงายกวา The War of Art แตชอบอิมแพคหลังอาน The War of Art มากกวา เพราะมันตรงและแรงคะ

เลม Turning Pro ยำเตือนถึงการเฝาสังเกต Resistance แตอธิบายวา "ความเปนมืออาชีพ-ความเปนมือโปร" คืออะไร มือสมัครเลนจะทำแบบไหน สวนมือโปรเคาทำเคาคิดกันยังไง

จริงๆ กชอบหลายหัวขอในเลม แตทีจำไดคือ Play Hurt มืออาชีพเคาเลนจริงเจบจริง กระดูกหักกระดูกแตกงันเหรอ? กกินแอสไพรินไป 2 เมดแลวกลงสนามตอไปอยูดี
Mur Lafferty
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Pressfield's War of Art really spoke to me, especially regarding the concept of Resistance.

Turning Pro seemed to be more of the same, however. Nothing new was in this book, and I was very disappointed. The core message can be summed up thusly: Wanna be a pro? Get serious. Turn off the Internet. Stop wishing, start working. That's the message. Same message as in War of Art.

Like War of Art, this is a book of sound bytes, some chapters no more than a sentence, most no more than five paragraphs. Th
Aaron Wolfson
This book literally kicked my ass. OK, maybe not literally, but this book contains urgency, man. It's like Pressfield is standing over every would-be artist exhorting, "Fight! Write! Create! Grow!" Starting this book is power, and finishing it is life-changing if you want it to be.
Mikell
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turning Pro may be a quick read, but it will quickly get to the core of suppressed dreams and unfulfilled passions. If you are an artist or writer who doesn't draw or write, this may be just what you need to face and own your talents and calling. If you are a musician who doesn't play or sing, or an entrepreneur who will write that business plan tomorrow, this book may well give you the not necessarily gentle nudge you need to Turn Pro. Now.

Pressfield makes clear distinctions between the amateu
Chris Sienko
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Pressfield concludes his trilogy of works designed to hurtle you past your fear and into becoming the person you want to be. (Part one: "The War of Art"; Part two: "Do The Work") In each successive book, Pressfield pulls the camera further out, revealing more landscape. "The War of Art" is designed to teach you how to fight what he calls Resistance (aka fear, anxiety, avoidance, self-sabotage) and get started on your life's goals. "Do The Work" pulls out from there, detailing specific strategies ...more
Juan Araizaga
7 days and 148 pages after. This book was a direct recommendation from someone who quickly became a mentor for me. So I had great expectations about it.

The book is about how transform yourself into a pro, because you are a amateur right now.

All the book I was expecting that the book explain how to be a pro, and that never happen... at least not very clear. The book is about habits, is about what you should do or you shouldn't.

The issue with those kind of books is that wants to show you that you
Mohammad
Dec 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shaman, Muse, Goddesses, Gurus, Sublime, our Calling, our true purpose, our destiny, etc. are all brought up in this book just to tell you to do the work and don’t get distracted.
Anyone who needs pump up from external motivational content to do his/her work is a lost cause anyway. Why bother.

کل کتاب توی این جمله خلاصه می شه که کاری که باید بکنی رو انجام بده و حواست پرت چیزهای دیگه نشه.
با صفحات خالی زیاد و فونت درشت و سطرهای دور از هم یک متن انگیزشی پر از قصه و روایت به شکل کتاب دراومده، که لازم
Simo Ibourki
Jun 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I don't really know what to think of this book.

If I could summary the book it would be like this "look at me, I'm a pro, here is what a pro should be, philosophy, meaningless personal anecdotes, pro is great I swear".

This book has nothing of value, it doesn't really help you to turn into a pro, it just talks about how cool is it to be a pro.
Emma Sea
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback, i-own-it
I don't know how long this stuff sticks with me, but every time I read one of Pressfield's books I feel like I could do anything.
Farnoosh Brock
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
Turning Pro: The symphony that creative soul is hungry for. So, so good!

By creative, we don't mean just the arts. By creative, we mean anyone who sets out to create a life outside of the normal path, without a map or guidebook. Turning Pro is about taking the amateur self, looking it in the eye, and deciding that enough is enough. We are now doing this and we're doing it damn well too. We are reaching the upper realms not through addiction or avoidance or distractions, but through Labor and Lov
Stacy
I didn't think Pressfield could get more kick-ass about making art after the WAR OF ART and DO THE WORK, but he did. Like the other two, the book's premise is all about beating that insidious force of Resistance that plagues all of us, sapping our will to compose, write, play, and otherwise make art.

You may think at first glance that Pressfield is treading familiar water after two other books on resisting Resistance to make art. He is, but each book in his 'making art' canon can be looked at as
Gillian Kevern
Turning Pro is concise, well-written and well argued. It came to me highly recommended by artists and professionals I respect a lot. I expected to find it useful. Right now as I read it, I'm encountering a speed bump on my writing journey and was looking for help overcoming it. Turning Pro sounded like just what I needed.

Instead, I found myself exasperated. Despite its conciseness, Pressfield makes his point, and then repeats it six times from six slightly different angles to make sure you get
Michael Koby
Some people have a serious dislike for this book. I can understand that. Some of their complaints are warranted. I haven't read "The War of Art" yet so I don't have that as a judge to go on. I have read "Do the Work" (which seems to be greatly disliked as well), but rather enjoyed that book.

This books seems to be very straight and to the point. Yes, the chapters are short. Yes there is a one sentence chapter. But good writing is in brevity. If an author can get their point across in a single sen
Stefan Knapen
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, especially after reading the War of Art a year before. The distinction between amateur and pro is very clearly made by Pressfield and in making this distinction he gives a very clear image of what it means to overcome your amateurism and what it means to turn pro.

I especially liked the quotes about how the amateurs has a million plans, which all start tomorrow and how the amateurs tweets, while the pro works. I especially like this as this feels how it is to me. Right now I
Traci Andrighetti
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turning Pro is an important book for anyone who wants to be a professional writer. Pressfield urges would-be writers to stop living as amateurs and turn professional by overcoming resistance and practicing self-discipline. The part of the book that was particularly compelling for me was the notion that many of us have "shadow careers," which Pressfield defines as a career that is similar to our true calling but much safer because it entails no real risk. To turn pro, you have to abandon your sha ...more
Kony
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another blog-post collection parading as a book! This one grew on me, though. Offers the same wisdom you'll find in any book designed to motivate creators to create, but puts an original spin on the classic advice by playing with some interesting concepts and analogies: art as addiction, amateur as unrealized professional, certain "day jobs" as shadow professions. While I'm not sure if I completely buy the author's "amateur vs. professional" dichotomy, it's certainly thought provoking and contai ...more
Gee Greenslade
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't love this book more. I simply had to buy it for my closest artist friends and daily I read a chapter out of it to keep the art life alive. when I went to artschool I was desperately looking for a reason or a meaning for why I loved art so much and why it was useful. I found no answers but the final chapter summed it up so beautifully for me I feel that question is finally answered. A perfect book.
Joya Cousin
"When the student is ready, the teacher shall appear" — Gautama Buddha
I've been blown away for the third time in two days by Steven Pressfield. I highly recommend this book as a follow up to 'The War of Art' to every artist and individual whose heart aches to create something extraordinary.
Aaron Goldfarb
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not *quite* as good, though a terrific follow-up to THE WAR OF ART, which, just like ART, I'll be re-reading and re-reading for the rest of time. (Though I doubt I'll beat up this ebook edition as much as I beat up my paperback edition of the previous.)
Margot Note
"The difference between an amateur and a professional is in their habits. An amateur has amateur habits. A professional has professional habits" (20).

"When we do the work for itself (I know how easy that is to say and how hard it is to do), we're like that Marine who sleeps in a foxhole in the freezing rain but who knows a secret that only he and his brothers and sisters share.
When we do the work for itself alone, our pursuit of a career (or a living or fame or wealth or notoriety) turns into s
JP
Dec 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
He's the Kardashian of the writers, seeking for attention and recognition.

This book is a joke and inaccurate about how Artist mind are working and how to become one, I work as an Artist and I can say this man is just trying to be one but won't reach it until he give up is dream of becoming an idol next to those who he's despites in his own book.

For him simply overcome your resistence will make you reach you goal. If he was a plumber make sure to have a good insurance and not paying him by the
Harlen
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and Enjoyable. Gave me some ideas on the difference between being a amateur and being a pro.
Sara Crocoll Smith
Excellent follow-on from the War of Art. Really packs a punch, especially the last paragraph.
Subhransu Behera
WOW!! Simply amazing. Each page, each word has so much power.
Katja S
The endless repeating idea during the whole book : pro is cool, amateur sucks.
I'm pro, I'm cool, my friends and you're not - you suck, you need to become pro asap.
And endless blahblahblah who's pro and what she should do, leaving readers with the hope of explanation of what's it and how to become pro but it never really happens.

You can find some ideas about pro habits at the end of a book, it might be useful, but not really mind-blowing ideas, just some ordinary stuff everybody knows.

But the who
Mostafa Lotfi
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب در فصل های کوتاه یک یا دو صفحه ای تفاوت خصوصیت های یک فرد حرفه ای و یک آماتور رو نام می بره. مثل شجاع بودن، کوشا بودن و الخ.
اگه از کتاب های انگیزشی یا شاید دقیق تر باشه بگم از پای منبر نشستن خوشتون میاد ممکنه ازین کتاب هم لذت ببرید.
البته میگن این کتاب سایه و اضافات کتاب دیگر نویسنده، The War of Art هست.
کاش میشد ستاره های کمتری بهش بدم.
Action the kind Cameroon man 1 7 Aug 28, 2015 05:04AM
  • What Matters Now
  • Blueprint Your Bestseller: Organize and Revise Any Manuscript with the Book Architecture Method
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Commercial Freelancer in Six Months or Less
  • Make your Idea Matter
  • The Art of the Pitch: Persuasion and Presentation Skills that Win Business
  • The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms
  • Fiction Unboxed
  • The Narrow Road: A Brief Guide to the Getting of Money
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • 250 Things You Should Know About Writing
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • The 3 Secrets to Effective Time Investment: Achieve More Success with Less Stress: Foreword by Cal Newport, Author of So Good They Can't Ignore You
  • Uncertainty: Turning Fear and Doubt Into Fuel for Brilliance
  • Mastering Leadership: An Integrated Framework for Breakthrough Performance and Extraordinary Business Results
  • The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late
I was born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, in 1943 to a Navy father and mother.

I graduated from Duke University in 1965.

In January of 1966, when I was on the bus leaving Parris Island as a freshly-minted Marine, I looked back and thought there was at least one good thing about this departure. "No matter what happens to me for the rest of my life, no one can ever send me back to this freakin' place a
“The sure sign of an amateur is he has a million plans and they all start tomorrow.” 19 likes
“The amateur dreads becoming who she really is because she fears that this new person will be judged by others as "different." The tribe will declare us "weird" or "queer" or "crazy." The tribe will reject us. Here's the truth: the tribe doesn't give a shit. There is no tribe. That gang or posse that we imagine is sustaining us by the bonds we share is in fact a conglomeration of individuals who are just as fucked up as we are and just as terrified. Each individual is so caught up in his own bullshit that he doesn't have two seconds to worry about yours or mine, or to reject or diminish us because of it. When we truly understand that the tribe doesn't give a damn, we're free. There is no tribe, and there never was. Our lives are entirely up to us.” 16 likes