Start by marking “Dandelion Growing Wild: A triumphant journey over astounding odds to become an American marathon champion” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
(Description from Amazon) Dandelion Growing Wild is a remarkable true story of resilience, perseverance and the power of hope. It’s a look into a large, loving, dysfunctional and oddly religious family thrust into horrific tragedy. The memoir captures the essence of innocence and the disturbing truth of poverty, mental illness, disappointment and death… a powerful, humorou ...more
Published April 30th 2012 by Kim Jones

To ask other readers questions about Dandelion Growing Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dandelion Growing Wild

Ellen
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this inspiring autobiography. As a runner myself I loved reading about her running career. However this book is so much more than that. Kim has endured one tragedy after another in her life and she keeps growing stronger and stronger. If is amazing how far she has come in her career while escaping the downward spiral of a dysfunctional childhood, and many family tragedies. Running turned out to be her salvation. I would recommend this book to runners and non runners alike.
Lisa
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. To begin with, it was very well written. And the title perfectly describes what the the story is about: A triumphant journey over astounding odds. I have to admit that I skimmed over a lot of the details about her runs once she got into the serious races, since I am not a runner, but I always slowed down when she came back around to her family and personal story. Kim Jones is a wonderful story teller. I felt as though I was sitting on the couch, listening to her. Just w ...more
Marc Mims
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Kim at the height of her running career. I was working for a Spokane software company, and Kim's husband at the time, Steven Jones, was our attorney. We had dinner with Kim and Steve and were fascinated by her story. Steve attended some of our company Christmas parties, and through them and other meetings, he always kept us informed of Kim's career. The Thai cafe Kim refers to in the book became on of our favorite restaurants, too, where Val greeted us b ...more
Jon Sinclair
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great sports autobiography that goes way beyond that genre. It isn't just a "running book," its a story of one person's struggle against what would seem an inevitable pull into family dysfunction. A very readable recounting of survival and victory over an unfair dose of tragedy and defeat. Dandelion is inspiring and one of those books you don't want to finish.
Colette Fehr
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
No the best book ever but such an inspirational story that I sort of loved it anyway! What a great lady and humbling story! And I found even the mundane aspects of her growing up life very interesting...
Rene Gade
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great story of success over what seems the most "unlikely to succeed" circumstances... This book isn't just about running, it's about a woman's journey from tough little girl to equally tough woman- and then world-class marathoner. Heartbreaking, but very inspiring.
Elizabeth Ricketson
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

As someone who can't seem to get enough running in her daily life I was very anxious to read Kim Jone's autobiography Dandelion Growing Wild. Kim's running career and elite athletic accomplishments are undeniably at the top of women's running and will be for years to come. I was excited to learn about Kim's training, her background and live vicariously through her as she described her races. I started to read the Author's note and took a moment to think about Kim's mention of a serious writer's
Donna Wise
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Captivating, engaging, inspiring, real...These are just a few ways to describe this incredible memoir! From the opening pages, Kim draws you in, relating her story in such a way that you feel like you're right there, growing up with her through the years. With remarkable candor, she shares intimate details of her life, from her dysfunctional family and poverty-strained early years, through her own marriage and daughters, and her rise as an elite running star. This isn't just another book that ta ...more
Jen
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
My rating/review of this book may be somewhat biased since Kim is my sister-in-law's mom. That said, it was a good book. It was hard to get into at first, but that was primarily because Kim and her family faced so many struggles and it was rough to read about that much sadness. Once Kim starts running, the pace seems to pick up. In a way the book mirrors her marathon style - steady at first, then picking up the pace with a final push at the end.
Deb
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's for runners and non runners alike. Kim shared the story of her life and it makes you laugh and cry ... She is an amazing woman who endured many hardships and in spite of a difficult upbringing became a world renowned athlete. Certainly exemplifies what running can do for the soul! Highly recommend!!!
Carol
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have great appreciation and admiration for what the author has overcome in life - truly an amazing story of persevering when it would have been easier not to. If I were a strong follower of professional running I think I would have enjoyed the book more; I'm a runner but a casual runner. For me, the book was long, and written a bit too much like I was reading from a diary. She is an amazing woman with great personal strength.
Mike_hinterberg
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great, inspirational "story" of a storied runner. (It's hard to "judge" somebody's personal life in the way that books are typically reviewed). This is an unedited, unfiltered look into Kim's life. Her family and background are an unconventional set of challenges, but still she combines consistent, hard work with an amazing amount of talent to lead a successful career as a female runner.
Some of the details of the family stories are perhaps a bit much for the unattached reader, while others are n
Telisa
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting story about overcoming considerable crazy family odds through running. However the book really drags and one character has a lisp that is written into all the dialogue which was really annoying.
SB

• The Millionaire Fastlane
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99