Start by marking “The Symptoms of My Insanity” as Want to Read:
The Symptoms of My Insanity

The Symptoms of My Insanity

A laugh-out-loud, bittersweet debut full of wit, wisdom, heart, and a hilarious, unforgettable heroine.

When you’re a hypochondriac, there are a million different things that could be wrong with you, but for Izzy, focusing on what could be wrong might be keeping her from dealing with what’s really wrong.

I almost raised my hand, but what would I say? “Mr. Bayer, may I please
Published April 18th 2013 by Dial Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Symptoms of My Insanity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Symptoms of My Insanity

Start your review of The Symptoms of My Insanity
enqi ☁️✨
Suggestive is my mom's all-time favorite word, and due to the arrival of my newly measured 34 double Ds and my God-given birthing hips, I have learned two things: 1) Everything I wear looks suggestive, and 2) When someone looks suggestive, the thing that they are suggesting is sex.

The Symptoms of My Insanity is a bittersweet, quirky debut with a healthy dose of humor and a very lovable heroine. It was a light read that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end.

Isabella - or Izzy - Skymen i
Steph Sinclair
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

There are few books that I feel ever get the "teenage speak" right. There are even fewer that feature all those little awkward moments we've all dealt with in high school. Because let's face it, sometimes being a teen is awesome, but other times, it completely sucks. Really, really hard. The Symptoms of My Insanity takes a few of those moments and presents them in such a relatable way where I could sit back and go, "Oh, it's my teenage self all over again when I was socia
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Yet again, my strong desire for a book stemmed from the awesome cover (not the final cover shown above) more than the blurb. Sure, the blurb is funny and all, but that's not what really raised my interest. This turns out to be yet another reminder that I should probably stop seeking out books that I wasn't especially interested in before I saw the cover. Though I didn't precisely dislike The Symptoms of My Insanity and some of it was quite humorous, I had a lot of issues with it as well.

What Min
PickyReader
NO. NO. NO.

The only reason I finished this book was so that it would count for my reading challenge, in which I am behind several books.

That's pretty much the only reason.

It's actual title should be, "A Day in the Life of A Girl With REALLY BIG Boobs". There's no real exciting plot twists that made me care much about the character...I mean, yes her mother has cancer that we're worried about, but the writing doesn't stir up emotion. At least not to me, but that may be because I skimmed the las
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This is going to be a tough review. It's hard for me to give this one a mere two stars when it started out so promising. The sarcasm bowled me over, and I actually laughed out loud a few times.

But then it all started to go downhill. My first issue was the protagonist, Izzy. She's...well, she's kind of an ass. I mean, I know she be goin' through some shit, but...wow. I highly doubt even having a relatively stress-free life (in comparison) would help her. She's a horrible friend, a pushover, she
Shoshana
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I came away from "The Symptoms of My Insanity" with very mixed feelings.

When I began it, I loved it, and some of that love stayed throughout. I loved Izzy's voice: it was fun, funny, and somehow fresh. I loved a lot of the early-presented problems: juggling too many requests on her time with none for herself, her mother's illness, her own hypochondriac tendencies, trying not to let people down... It felt incredibly real-to-life and I could easily see lots of my teenaged self in Izzy.

But at some
Aman
Mar 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ugh, DNF at 40%

I don't even know how I'm going to explain this. It's just plain weird. The dialogues, the storyline, the characters are all very weird. This book is completely off topic from what the premises indicates.

In the 40% I read, I didn't laugh out loud once or learned anything. The heroine wasn't funny at all and she was definitely forgettable.

Every scene is so over exaggerated
BAYA Librarian
Nov 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
So. I was taken in by the title of the first chapter, “I’m Diseased”. And then the first few lines, “I’m standing inside a large fitting room at Lola’s Lingerie. Oh, and there are three hands on my breasts.” Unfortunately, these may have been the only high points. This book was written by a comedian, so I really expected more humor, but like I said, the humor is pretty much all in the first page. And there was so much potential, with the voice of this snarky, neurotic teen.

The book presents itse
Liz Van Buren
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was totally in love with this book. How could I not - Izzy is the exact replica of me as a high school senior- physically, emotionally, and in the fact that she is a total art nerd. Ugh. Mindy Raf had me laughing from page 1. Totally recommended for those who love snarky YA "issue" novels. Plus, the cover is totally kick ass.
Sarika Patkotwar
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
*NOTE: We (The Readdicts) received a copy of Mindy Raf's The Symptoms of My Insanity upon request from Net Galley. We thank Net Galley for the book!

I was really excited to read The Symptoms of My Insanity when I came across it on Goodreads. It sounded fun, exciting and different.
When I read my blogger friend @ Enticed By Books, Aman's review (she was the one who told me about the book being up for request on Net Galley. Thank you, Aman!), I was a little apprehensive about starting it. But
Jaime Arkin
3.5 stars - If you're looking for a book with a refreshingly funny, sweet, snarky, and slightly awkward heroine then you must pick up Mindy Raf's debut.

In The Symptoms of My Insanity we meet Izzy who is an incredibly likable character. She's got a lot on her plate, her mom has been ill, (she's become a bit of a hypochondriac because of it) she's got to get her art portfolio prepared for an opportunity of a lifetime, and her best friend has volunteered her to help with the school play. On top of
Esther
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
So this book is like. AMAZING. Just a little flaws, that's all. The beginning of this book was very...um...anti-climatic, if not boring. I read only the first couple of chapters then got bored and left the book in my locker for like months. I went on to read other books until finally I had no choice but to finish this. I guess as the plot went on, it got more interesting and likeable. But it was just extremely predictable. For homework one day, I had to do an independent reading journal. I chos ...more
Beth Jones
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished The Symptoms of My Insanity, a cute, sweet book that took me only a few days to get through – and for good reason!

I read this book on behalf of The Book Junkies book club, owned and run by me, Emma and Sophie. Emma chose this month’s book and I have to say she did a great job – thank you Em!

If you’d like to see more about what we all thought, stay tuned to find out in a chat post at the end of this month!

The plot…is mostly great! There were a few places when I felt it was going a
Darlene Cruz
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deserve a 5 star rating, why? The author managed to get me all riled up that's why!
This story revisited such antics one had seen or experience during those teen years. Either good or bad experiences it was, "Ugh!" Idiots galore, why they exist, who knows? Poor Izzy, she was a mixed of frazzle hypochondriac emotions. I felt she needed a hug then she goes and do something to make you want to, "love tap her upside her head" (sorry no violence here), "Hey Wake Up Izzy!" or "Don't do it!" o
Miriam
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
There's so much going on in this novel that reading it is almost as exhausting as the life the narrator leads. Her mother has an esoteric form of cancer, she's supposed to be preparing her art portfolio for a scholarship jury, her best friend ropes her into working on the school musical, she's being pursued by a really hot boy--or two?, her former best friend wants to be friends again--or does she just have ulterior motives?, her mother wants her to design the decorations and publicity for the s ...more
Beth
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was fun, light, and cheesy at times, but it also had deeper undertones.

(view spoiler)
Kristen
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a solid 3.5. I didn't connect with this one as much as some of the other books I've read recently, but that might be because it lacks some of the emotion and angst I'm used to. The story is a little more innocent and predictable than some of the recent YA on my radar. Still a good read, though, and full of issues teens will connect with--boy problems, friend problems, sick family members, body image...the list goes on.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

After reading some very mixed reviews, I was not sure what to expect...but I quite enjoyed this YA title! Even with some serious subjects covered, this novel made me laugh. The storyline suffers from being a little scattered and sometimes cluttered- like Izzy, our narrator- but overall, Raf's novel is filled with likable and off-kilter characters and lots of charm.
Amy Parker
This book was equal parts touching and hilarious. I loved the main character, Izzy, who despite lots of stress and problems that at times seem totally overwhelming, manages to keep her sense of humor and rise to the challenges that face her with grace and charm.
Cass -  Words on Paper
Aug 01, 2012 marked it as wishlist
Shelves: 2013-release
Interesting cover, to say the least. You know what the blue skin reminds me of? Skeeter from Doug. :P
Lauren
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Teens will love Raf's debut - she's a comedian and she writes of a hypochondriac, busty teen girl with humor and grace. I loved it!
Rachele Alpine
This book had my laughing from the first page. Out loud. And I didn't stop until the end. You can't help but root for Izzy thoughout the whole book (and laugh with her too!).
Marley D
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kate Stericker
I really enjoyed this book and the humourous way it approached a huge range of serious topics, including mental illness, caring for a patent with cancer, and enduring the often toxic social culture of high school. My main complaint would be that the book's major plot twists and revelations were foreshadowed to such an extent that I was often confused during scenes where the truth came out because I assumed the protagonist must already know.
Luvi
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
It was.. Um... Interesting.. Just not so interesting that I'd want to read it again, and I wouldn't really recommend it all that much. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But it didn't give me the "omg i can't put this book down" feeling. It's just full of teenage drama, and yeah, sure, her mom had cancer, but there were no plot-twists or interesting factors that made me want more. It just gave me an odd representation of high school.
Sydni
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this book! I thought the main character was a little strange, but it was an understandable sort of strange as the book went on. But she was also really funny and the friendships were very realistic! Overall, very enjoyable, with only a few negatives!
Susan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think the fact that I read all but the last thirty pages and then totally forgot about this book speaks for itself.
Bev
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a little predictable and there were almost too many issues, but I actually quite liked reading it. I felt bad for Izzy even if she caused some of her own problems. 3.5 stars.
Sophia
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has the best make-out scene ever. It's hilarious and awkward and sleezy...I adore it!

The book is about Izzy, a hypochondriac--which means she thinks she has disease she doesn't. It's a basic tale of wanting to get the guy while getting over family issues, and a bit of humor. Okay, a lot of humor. I enjoyed this book a lot and I actually met Mindy Raf; she's hilarious. I believe she did stand-up comedy, which explains why the book was so funny and cute. I highly recommend this!

Izzy make
Verbositybookreviews
Plot:

To be completely honest, I had no idea what I was getting into when it came to the plot. I saw the title of the book months ago and immediately I was just like, “I have to read this.” Then I saw it was about a hypochondriac and I was pretty much all over it.

It only occurred to me once I brought it home that I had no idea what it was even supposed to be about.

The book starts out absolutely hilarious. Izzy is out shopping with her mom and is trying to figure out whether or not she has breast
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
June Calendar 1 1 May 05, 2018 04:01AM
The Book Junkies: Thoughts So Far - March Read 1 3 Mar 13, 2016 12:08PM

• Wayfarer (Passenger, #2)
  • The Traitor's Ruin (The Traitor's Circle, #2)
  • The Lonely Dead
  • Slated (Slated, #1)
  • We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a True Story
  • A Little Something Different
  • The Well's End (The Well's End, #1)
  • When It Happens
  • Locker Hero (Misadventures of Max Crumbly #1)
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • Schooled in Revenge
  • The Storybook of Legends (Ever After High, #1)
  • Toxic Heart (Mystic City, #2)
  • Mambo in Chinatown
  • Unthinkable (Impossible, #3)
  • Once Upon Now
  • Push (The Game, #2)
  • Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)
Mindy Raf is a writer, comedy performer, and musician based in Brooklyn, NY. She is a graduate of the University of Michigan, and grew up in a Detroit suburb right around here (visualize someone pointing to the inner part of their thumb). She has written for VH1 and CollegeHumor.com. The Symptoms of My Insanity is her first novel.